Does anyone carry thier luggage onto the ship??

Ugaaucruisers

I wish we could! Not allowed if it will not fit through the scanners.

You know, I just had a thought. There are large scanners that our luggage goes through once it gets on the ship. This is how the cruiselines catch the smugglers of alcohol, drugs, irons, electric fans, extension cords, etc... Do you think that luggage is scanned coming off the ship to catch passengers stealing from the ship? Or perhaps COULD be scanned by a crew member looking for valuables in luggage? I am thinking of the passenger in the thread about Lost Luggage.

No interest in dragging my luggage throughout the ship for a few hours. We usually try to hit lunch and the pool and the thought of schlepping our luggage doesn't appeal to me.

I'm on vacation! I'd rather take a carry on with the essentials and let the rest show up at my room!

We only carry on (one each). We are notoriously efficient packers. (tux, jacket, 6 dresses, it can be done, not a packing thread, we know) Show up after 1:00 (most ships), walk straight to the stateroom.

Oh you should hold a class....I dream of getting everything in a carry on. 😉

DW & I are always inclined to never let our luggage out of our site. We have very good suitcases that hold quite a bit and yet meet the airline requirements for carry-on. As far as having to cart the luggage all over the ship, we haven't found it to be an issue as once again, we have only two suitcases and one other carry on.

We usually head for the buffet if the room isn't ready and just park ourselves there with food and a drink. Generally the rooms are then ready. We then drop off and go explore the ship as we can always unpack later (also less to unpack).

We have simplified our wardrobe to be able to mix and match. The majority of the time on the ship, we are in shorts and t-shirts. We can wear, most of the time, the same thing on excursions as I'm not going to see those people again.

We only take medium sized luggage - one each, with pull out handle & wheels, and we are happy to drag ours along, onto the ship & off, if needed.

Gosh, how much luggage does one "really" have to take, one medium size bag with rollers is all that is needed, provided your not taking a dinner suit for the formal nights.

Forget the dinner suits, just take smart casual clothing, shorts/shirts/swimmers/long trousers & smart looking casual shirt (for formal nights)

comfortable footwear eg. pair of crocs, etc.

We travel with 1 medium suitcase each and 1 carry on between us however at the ship we give all our luggage to the porters.

The only thing I carry on the ship is my camera bag and my husband has a backpack. Much easier to navigate the ship without having to drag suitcases everywhere.

back to the original question. The scanners are the size you see at airports, designed to examine carry-on size luggage, perhaps hanging bags as well. Large suitcases don't fit into them. That is the main reason you can't bring your own luggage on board with you, but need to check it at the curb. If you only have carry-on, you're good to go. Otherwise no.

Just curious....does anyone ever carry their luggage onto the ship? Not just your carry-on bag, but your suitcase? We have done self disembarkation and are thinking about doing self embarkation....thoughts:p

Everyone does, except passengers from the US :p

They do not let you though if the luggage is too big, as they claim it does not fit in the scanner. I usually insist on them trying and then it somehow always works out. when you get off the ship size of luggage does not matter.

wcarrying the luggage on board is defo not the problem, but when you arrive early you will have to carry it around until stateroom is ready. if you arrive later and do not take it with you but hand it over instead, it can happen you get it very late at night or the next day, so I always carry it myself.

We travel with 1 medium suitcase each and 1 carry on between us however at the ship we give all our luggage to the porters.

The only thing I carry on the ship is my camera bag and my husband has a backpack. Much easier to navigate the ship without having to drag suitcases everywhere.

medium suitcase will fit.

I've seen the people who work in the terminal go up to people who had their large suitcases and tell them to go back out and give those bags to the porters. I've not seen anyone allowed to bring larger bags into the check in terminal.

It's just a hassle to have to lug that stuff around until your cabin is ready. Just so much better to give the large bags to the porters and avoid having to lug those things up a very steep ramp.

Just curious....does anyone ever carry their luggage onto the ship? Not just your carry-on bag, but your suitcase? We have done self disembarkation and are thinking about doing self embarkation....thoughts:p

Only time I didn't wheel my luggage on board was a 10 night Med cruise. My 22" carry on was sufficient for walk on, walk off, all my other 7 night cruises. Doing a 12 night Alaskan cruise tour Aug 2014, imagine I'll have a larger piece of luggage for that adventure.

You are on vacation. Spend a couple of dollars and tip the porters at the pier. It sure beats taking a suitcase and carryon to a dining venue. Plus it makes it difficult to explore the ship on the first day.

If you want to carry on your own luggage, it is easiest to do so if you arrive at the ship later in the day after the mad rush is over, to avoid the crowds and lines.

That way you can walk right on and take your luggage directly to your cabin, without needing to sit or stand around waiting at the cruise terminal or on the ship in the crowded buffet area.

We had a man in front of us last month arguing with his full size suitcase and they sent him back to leave it with a porter as it would NOT fit thru the scanner.

If you can carry it on a plane you can carry it on a ship. If it's too big for a carry on or to fit through an airport scanner they will turn you away. I'd say a medium bag will depend on how bulky it is.

My first cruise I way over packed, so I couldn't have carried on luggage if I wanted to. After that, I realized I didn't use/need half of what I brought. Since then I carry on my luggage simply because I travel with one small rolling suitcase. If my husband and kids go, they each have their own small rolling suitcase. It doesn't bother me a bit to have it with me for a few hours if the room isn't ready yet. The last cruise that I went on my sister, we asked if we could just park our luggage outside our door until the rooms were ready, and they let us do that. So it was by our door like everyone elses when our room was ready. With airline baggage fees, and the hassle of checking luggage anyway, I now just prefer to pack very light and bring my luggage on and off the plane and the ship.

We do if it is a 4 night or less but definitely not a 7 day. In spite of some people thinking packing a lot is a hassle or a negative. I LOVE the whole concept of planning my wardrobe for a cruise. I start months earlier thinking about it. Buying some new things, but gradually not all at once. About a month before I start making my lists: pool wear, port wear, night wear, breakfast wear, embarkation outfit, pjs, etc. Lists include shoes and accessories for each outfit, oh and purses or bags. Then about two weeks before I start laying it all out and looking at it. The weekend before I pack it. Not even kidding, and I know I'm crazy:). Just part of the fun for me though!!

Archived