Princess Cay-What To Expect-Options?

florida lover

We're on the Crown stopping at Princess Cay Feb. 2014. I understand we will tender in.

Should we go with the first crowd or hang back and go in later?

What are our options once we get there?

What to expect in the way of drink and food service?

When should we head back to the ship to possibly avoid the crowd?

Anything else that is helpful to know?

Thank you!

We're on the Crown stopping at Princess Cay Feb. 2014. I understand we will tender in.

Should we go with the first crowd or hang back and go in later?

What are our options once we get there?

What to expect in the way of drink and food service?

When should we head back to the ship to possibly avoid the crowd?

Anything else that is helpful to know?

Thank you!

There will be full bar and food service . Bar tenders will walk the beaches to take orders for drinks.

They will have a barbeque set up for lunch .

Personally I would head back about an hour early to beat the last minute rush at the tenders.

Nice beach, a bit of snorkeling. No rush to get there unless you are VERY particular about where you sit. There are ample beach chairs. We don't love the BBQ but its OK. Slightly nicer shops than on board. We usually go over later, after the crowd and leave early before the crowd! An hour either way should do it!

We enjoy going over to Princess Cays for a brief visit. I plan to go next month on our Ruby cruise about an hour after the tender service starts, and we'll stay a couple of hours. We usually just get a snack and eat lunch back on the ship.

Has anyone been tormented by flies at the barbeque?

The flies use to be horrible there! I won't go.

DH and another couple did this year in January and they said there really were no flies so maybe they've figured out a way to get rid of them.

At Princess Cay we take our time and have some breakfast since I don't like to eat over there.

We like to hang out at or the area around the Banana Beach Bar. Normally, a combo is playing Caribbean and Oldies music. Sometimes it's more lively with people dancing than others. Whatever, we always enjoy going there. :)

When the bartenders begin packing up, we go ahead and leave. :D

LuLu

~~~~

Edited by OCruisers

We're on the Crown stopping at Princess Cay Feb. 2014. I understand we will tender in. Yes, you will have to obtain a tender ticket if you want to hit the beach early.

Should we go with the first crowd or hang back and go in later? We go about 10am, but we are not beach people. If you are a beach person head over early. If you have them bring water shoes.

What are our options once we get there? When you exit the tender you can go left or right. To the left the beach is more sandy. There are lounge chairs, sun and shade, a beach bar a gift shop and further down the beach some cabanas. To the right are clam shells (reserve at the tour desk) and the beach is not quite as sandy. Princess sells water activities, you can review them on line under tours. To the rear of the property is a gate that you can exit. Back there are some local residents selling their stuff. If you want to go there bring along a photo ID and cash or maybe a credit card. Don't know if all the locals there will take a credit card. All purchases on the Princess Cays property are by cruise card.

What to expect in the way of drink and food service? Cafeteria style BBQ service with burgers, dogs, chicken, salad, cake, ice tea etc. Eating is at picnic tables. There are two BBQ areas one at the left beach and one at the right beach. The one on the right is usually not as busy. Alcoholic drinks and sodas are available at the bar or from waiters. Use your cruise card just like on the ship. There are no fountain sodas on Princess Cays, and therefore if you have the soda sticker you can not use it there.

When should we head back to the ship to possibly avoid the crowd? That's up to you. Princess will not leave you there, providing you are indeed in the Princess Cays area.

Anything else that is helpful to know? We always enjoyed it.

Thank you!

See above

YES, that is one of the reasons I don't eat at the BBQ! I also don't like the huge black moths that land on the food. To me, it's worth tendering back to the ship for a nicer lunch but that's my opinion!

While it has been a few years, I have often commented in my many times there that there were no flies there which is strange as I don't like picnics at home due to the flies.

We also have been there several times in February and never had a problem with the bugs. We did not see any at all. We have had lunch there once and it was OK. Not being beach people (both fair skinned) we wait until most are off the ship and just go down to the tenders to go ashore. All we have done so far was to walk around and watch the wild life.

Many however enjoy it. We are taking our DS, DIL, GD next February and imagine they will be among the first to go ashore as they love the beach.

My least favorite thing about Princess Cays are the tiny bugs that bite. Each day that passes, more bites appear on your legs, arms or wherever. They itch like crazy. Bring bug spray! The line for the tenders to return to the ship is also endless toward the end of the day. Keep an eye on it and leave before it gets too long. The best thing is renting a bungalow for the day. You get privacy, air conditioning, a ceiling fan, a shower, table and chairs, and loungers. The waiters used to bring you food too and set it up inside the bungalow, but sadly that went away years ago.

The last time we stopped a PC, we didn't even get off the ship. It was lovely. We are only going ashore this time is because we are taking a friend, and it's her first cruise.

I highly recommend the Taste of Eleuthera tour, getting out of Princess Cays and explore the island you're on. Fantastic people, amazing food, amazing place!

Please tell me more about this tour. Is it through Princess or a local company? We are not beach people due to sun allergies, and I would love to have another option for that day.

Kathy

Please tell me more about this tour. Is it through Princess or a local company?

It's offered through Princess, and run by another company. They take you in a van, giving all kinds of details about Eleuthera, nuances on the language, floral and fauna, and they make a few stops.

The last stop is lunch where they did a conch cleaning demonstration, sampling of conch salad and then a Junkanoo dance demonstration that you can participate in.

It completely rocks.

Been there the last two years in Nov and Dec and never encountered a bug problem at any time.

1) Some cruiselines spray and rake the private island beaches before the tenders arrive. Not sure if Princess prepares the beach for its guests regularly.

2)The sand fleas and flies are more obvious during cloudy, no wind days and after rains.

3)Some people just don't attract the bugs.

4) If you are someone who attracts mosquitos at home, bring along a little bug spray and apply over your tanning creams. Especially below your knees.

We've been there twice now... My comments would be:

Plenty of space as long as there's only 1 ship in, but sooo many people mob the beach closest to the south of the tenders. Walk up the beach (north) from the docks and you can find plenty of space, beach chairs, etc... If TWO ships are there (told they don't do that anymore?) like our first visit, it can get busy everywhere.

If you just want to tan, go just beyond the snorkling step off area, there is a sand area with no real "beach" only a sea wall, and it's quiet.

The BBQ is meh... nothing amazing, tends to be busy and deserted in "banks".

Shops are hit and miss depending on what vendors are actually there... some have very good stuff, others are absolute wastes of time.

The beach itself when we've been has been nice up to the water, there is a rocky area with SHARP rocks then nice sand again, though we've only been in the fall, i'm told it's better in the spring/summer. Beach shoes/water shoes are a help if you want to wade.

If you want the deep sea fishing, BOOK EARLY.

Edited by p_liddy