Royal Princess - my honest opinion

redtogo

Royal Princess - November 10, 2013

First day on board the Royal Princess is far less than Royal.

While the ship is beautiful, the service is not the image that I had in mind. We found our room, a mini suite with an angled balcony. Yes, there are chairs with foot stools, and plenty of room to use both on our balcony. The room is nice, large, and quiet. We left port on time. The ship played the Love Boat Theme, and everyone cheered. Had muster. Everyone is complaining about no central staircase. I didn't realize how much we used the central staircase until it isn't there. One man waiting on an elevator, asked where the stairs were. Seems to be a very obvious and sensitive issue.

For, the negatives: I had requested egg crates on the bed. No egg crate. Requested bathrobes. No bathrobes. There are no priority tender tickets for tomorrow at Princess Cay. Usually they are in the envelope with our shore excursions tickets. Service at dinner was very slow. We arrived at half past the hour, our assigned time. Sat for 30 minutes before our order was taken. Another 15 minutes before the appetizer arrived. We finally gave up by the time we finished our entreé. We got up to leave, and the waiter rushed over to see why we weren't staying for dessert. It took over two hours to get and eat Spring Rolls, a simple salad, and our entreé. Waiter mumbled that things should move faster tomorrow. I hope so.

Stopped off in the Piazza. The band was very nice. The singers are very talented.

We decided to skip the Princess Theater tonight. Came back to the room for a hot shower before retiring early. I really don't know why I am surprised, but there were no wash clothes. Ending on a positive note, service only has one direction to go - up!

November 16th:

I haven't written much during the cruise because nothing has improved. The Internet has been horrible all week. I was told it was because of people using iPads. However, the day in St. Maarten, when the ship was almost empty, the Internet still would not load a page. I could sign in and use my minutes, but couldn't get into any news page or email account. Once I signed out, and it continued to use minutes, even though it said, "you have logged out".

Service has never been worse on a Princess ship. Last night was formal night. The room steward never came to refresh our room. Service in the dining room is marginal at best. It's very slow every night. People are skipping eating in the Concerto dining room. It is very obvious because there are numerous empty tables every night.

During the day, I stopped by the Concerto dining room to check the dinner menu. Seemed that the head waiter was having employee meeting with the waiter and help staff. I left as soon as I picked up on the tone of the conversation which was not very pleasant. Lots of loud, adamant talk. No wonder their morale is low.

This morning I went to the service club meeting. There was no Princess attendant present to give out make up certificates. I went to the passenger's service desk to check about the meeting. I was told that the Princess representative was there and waited over 10 minutes for participants. This is totally untrue because I was there at 11:20 am, it began at 11:15, the only Princess person there knew NOTHING about the meeting. I asked her to please call someone to let them know that we were at Club 6 for the meeting. I guess she never did because no one ever came.

This is our last day. I will be glad to get off of the ship. It hasn't been a pleasant trip.

We are off the ship. I can see home from here. Yay!

Sorry to learn you had a less than stellar cruise. We enjoyed our Royal TA even though we were disappointed by a couple of the Royal's shortcomings.

For, the negatives: I had requested egg crates on the bed. No egg crate. Requested bathrobes. No bathrobes. There are no priority tender tickets for tomorrow at Princess Cay.
As an elite member, I would think you would be aware that all you need do is ask your cabin steward for robes if there are none on embarkation day. Quite often they're in the laundry and will be delivered that evening or the following day.

We found our beds to be very comfortable without mattress toppers. As we always requested mattress toppers in the past, we were very happy we didn't need them.

Priority tender tickets really aren't needed anymore. Sometimes we get them, sometimes we don't. All you need to do it show your elite cruise card in order to get priority boarding.

Lew

Sorry your trip was disappointing. I know all you have to do is ask your steward but when you take the time to set things up in advance you think it will be done. That's why you do it in advance, so you don't have to deal with it when you get there. I'm not hard to please. It would not ruin my vacation but I can see where it would be disappointing. Enjoy your next one! I only wish I was elite.

Sorry to learn you had a less than stellar cruise. We enjoyed our Royal TA even though we were disappointed by a couple of the Royal's shortcomings.

As an elite member, I would think you would be aware that all you need do is ask your cabin steward for robes if there are none on embarkation day. Quite often they're in the laundry and will be delivered that evening or the following day.

We found our beds to be very comfortable without mattress toppers. As we always requested mattress toppers in the past, we were very happy we didn't need them.

Priority tender tickets really aren't needed anymore. Sometimes we get them, sometimes we don't. All you need to do it show your elite cruise card in order to get priority boarding.

Lew

We are elite. I also know that our requests are listed on a printout that the room steward uses to set up the cabins. None of our requests were met without having to ask.

Tender tickets are needed. When I went to the disembarkation deck to get on the tender with my Elite card, I was told that I needed to go to the Wheel House Bar to get a tender ticket. I told the crew person that I shouldn't have to that because Passenger Services said that I only needed to show my passenger card. He didn't understand that concept and had to go check with his supervisor before he would let us board the tender. He did let us board, but again, he was not well trained and did not understand how it was supposed to work.

We were on a Princess cruise two weeks ago, and everything was in the room, bed configuration was correct, robes, and egg crate was in place. We didn't have to ask for anything from anyone because the crew on that ship knew what they were doing.

I was on the Royal 11/3-10 and noticed some of the same shortcomings you spoke of. Fortunately, it wasn't bad enough to come close to ruining our trip. I don't think I'd ever let that happen. I really think it's going to take a bit of time for them to get all the kinks worked out.

Otherwise, the ship was beautiful, the entertainment and Princess Theater was stunning, and we had a great cruise.

We cruise often on Princess and never got priority tender tickets (we are elite). Just show our cruise cards to get off the ship into the tender.

Same for Princess Cays.

We were also on the Royal (End of Sept.) and found the dining room service really slow. Don't know what the problem was, but thought it was our particular waitress. When we got another waiter(changed tables last night of cruise) had great service.

Sounds like Poster had terrible room steward. We lucked out and had the best one we ever had and told him so. We have had bad ones in the past but fortunately not very often and not on Princess.

Edited by san diego sue

We needed tender tickets two weeks ago on our Canada/New England cruise. They were in a envelope in our stateroom, and they were collected upon boarding the tender in two of the ports of call. So, they have not been eliminated completely.

We needed tender tickets two weeks ago on our Canada/New England cruise. They were in a envelope in our stateroom, and they were collected upon boarding the tender in two of the ports of call. So, they have not been eliminated completely.

What excursion did you take in Princess Cays that you thought required tender tickets?

Hmmm. We just sailed Canada/New England and our Elite cards were all we needed to show at the tender embarkation to go ashore. We haven't seen tender tickets in our cabin for a few years now.

All I can say is WOW. We were on the same cruise. Service was spectacular. Ate in the Concerto Dining Room many times. Never had slow service and enjoyed the company of other cruisers. We always sat at a table for at least 6 but, usually 8 or 10.

Our Room Stewardess was top notch. Everything was great. Robes were delivered a few hours after boarding. She really deserved the extra tip we left for her this morning.

Didn't get off in Princess Cays so don't know anything about the tenders.

There was an a notation in the Patters that Contractors were onboard laying new/additional internet cables. We knew to expect slower internet speed. Luckily were didn't need to use it very much, but it worked well enough for us to check e-mail which is the only reason we use it.

Thanks to the crew and other cruisers we had yet another great Princess cruise.

Hi All

If I was Princess I would be a bit worried about the number of people

saying service was not to Princess standard,

In a few months a large number of crew will leave the ship for the Regal,

when we were on the Maiden service and happy crew were not an issue,

likewise internet appeared to be better, ok not perfect but it worked, and

there was loads of tec guys onboard trying to make it better

yours Shogun

Hmmm. We just sailed Canada/New England and our Elite cards were all we needed to show at the tender embarkation to go ashore. We haven't seen tender tickets in our cabin for a few years now.

Don't remember the last time we got tender tix in cabin and in 2012 did 7 cruises and in 2013 have already completed 6.

Don't remember the last time we got tender tix in cabin and in 2012 did 7 cruises and in 2013 have already completed 6.

I'm glad you didn't get - nor need tender tickets. As I said, we came back from Canada/New England two weeks ago on the Emerald Princess. We received tender tickets in both ports that required tendering. They were in the stateroom in an envelope, and they were collected upon boarding the tenders.

It's not necessary to try to trivialize what I am reporting. It's my experience. I am posting honest opinion from my experiences on board the Royal Princess.

I am glad that you and Shogun had a better experience than we, and about 40 others that we talked, to had. Many said that they would never sail Princess again. I am only saying that I will never sail the Royal again.

Edited by redtogo

Thanks for the condolences. We intend to continue cruising with Princess. I love the Princess line. In fact we have three more to go that are already booked. As of October 15th, we had 5 cruises booked so it is going to be a busy end of the year.

Hi redtogo

Being on the Maiden ship was only at two thirds full,

so service was not an issue, like wise happy crew, as first passengers

on board so they would get tips, after weeks of work, plus not being full not being worked

to hard.

yours Shogun

I was on the Royal also use disembarked today. Will write a full review when I have more time. Need a couple days to get back to normal. But I strongly agree with some of the comments from the op.

Had a great cruise but there were a lot of disappointments.

Full review to follow

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I'm glad you didn't get - nor need tender tickets. As I said, we came back from Canada/New England two weeks ago on the Emerald Princess. We received tender tickets in both ports that required tendering. They were in the stateroom in an envelope, and they were collected upon boarding the tenders.

It's not necessary to try to trivialize what I am reporting. It's my experience. I am posting honest opinion from my experiences on board the Royal Princess.

I am glad that you and Shogun had a better experience than we, and about 40 others that we talked, to had. Many said that they would never sail Princess again. I am only saying that I will never sail the Royal again.

Thank you for your observations. I appreciate hearing about the good and the bad. However, I don't see how anyone has "trivialized" your observations. Other posters are just relaying their own observations - also based one first-hand accounts. Some of those observations are different than yours - that's all. Everyone's views merely are opinions - not facts.

I appreciate all reviews & this discussion is the latest example of how people on the same cruise can have completely different points of view. Except for the missing stairway which was inconvenient to get to our midship cabin my 18 days on the Royal did not experience any of the other things. I don't think anyone is trying to "trivialize" any experience & are just sharing different experiences which I appreciate reading with any discussion.

Princess Cays is a tender port, so just to get to land and lie on the beach requires using a tender.

Yup...been there about 20+ times.:D

The OP said they were expecting priority tender tickets for Princess Cays to be in their excursion envelop. I wanted to know which excursion.