Future cruise with Elite status vanished - thanks Captains Club!

UniPac

Hi all,

I just want to tell you a little story on the recent Captain's Club changes from a different point of view from what I have read so far...

We are quite new cruisers and currently have 4 "old" points. We planned and booked a Sydney to Hawaii cruise in 2015, 18 nights - that is some really BIG vacation for us. We like the idea of Elite getting drinks, laundray and some internet minutes. We calculated and thought two 14 nights cruises in Aqua Class will give us 6 points, so 10 before the big cruise - Elite, voila.

Booked two cruises in 2014 some time ago and saving every "Euro" we can to make it all possible.

Now, they change the Captain's Club point system and we won't be Elite on our big cruise in 2015... so no free internet minutes and no laundry for us - and no free drinks :(

4 points x 30 = 120

14 days AQ = 70 x 2 = 140

260 points in total, not enough to become Elite.

I know it is not much money we talk about but somehow it counted for the whole decision of the next three cruises - it just fitted perfect.

As most of you are Elite and getting Elite+ with the new system (and some becoming Elite), we are on the "downside" of this.

Or can you become a new level now while onboard cause they count days? That way we would become Elite on day 6 - not too bad.

As said before - no big deal, but we really liked the idea of having those USEFUL benefits on a long 18 nights cruise :( Esp. cause we already booked everything under the old system.

Any one else having such an issue?

Thanks for reading!

Edited by UniPac

I feel your disappointment and I've been saying that they should honor the cruises that are already booked under the old program. If it was booked as of 11/23 - they should honor it. Not give you the status now - just give it to you under the old program when you would have earned it. Just my humble opinion and I know I'm in the minority here.

Edited by Jane2357

Hi all,

I just want to tell you a little story on the recent Captain's Club changes from a different point of view from what I have read so far...

We are quite new cruisers and currently have 4 "old" points. We planned and booked a Sydney to Hawaii cruise in 2015, 18 nights - that is some really BIG vacation for us. We like the idea of Elite getting drinks, laundray and some internet minutes. We calculated and thought two 14 nights cruises in Aqua Class will give us 6 points, so 10 before the big cruise - Elite, voila.

Booked two cruises in 2014 some time ago and saving every "Euro" we can to make it all possible.

Now, they change the Captain's Club point system and we won't be Elite on our big cruise in 2015... so no free internet minutes and no laundry for us - and no free drinks :(

4 points x 30 = 120

I know it is not much money we talk about but somehow it counted for the whole decision of the next three cruises - it just fitted perfect.

As most of you are Elite and getting Elite+ with the new system (and some becoming Elite), we are on the "downside" of this.

Or can you become a new level now while onboard cause they count days? That way we would become Elite on day 6 - not too bad.

As said before - no big deal, but we really liked the idea of having those USEFUL benefits on a long 18 nights cruise :( Esp. cause we already booked everything under the old system.

Thanks for reading!

SImilar situation. We decided that we wanted to do the Galapogas in 2016. We embark on a 7 day cruise in CC in 6 days which along with 2 cruises planned in 2014 and 2015 would get us to elite by our Galapogas cruise based on the current point system. We would then get the Elite discount. Now there no way for us to make it given the limited vacation time we have. Since there is no incentive to stay with Celebrity we will either look at other cruises, forego the Galapogas or just take land based vacation rather than work toward elite. I can't afford to do suites to try and get there in time. If they had at least given us the expected points for this cruise we still could have made it. Ah well, there will be those that are happy and those that won't be with the new system. I'm afraid we're in the latter.

I guess Celebrity really is for people who are retired and can cruise all the time.

If you are doing a 14 day cruise in Aqua class that should be worth 3 points not 2, so does that help?

I think the OPs math was right - AQ is 5 points, we think x 14 days = 70 points for a 14 day cruise in AQ, than x 2 14 day cruises OP had booked. That is why OP put 70 x 2.

I think the OPs math was right - AQ is 5 points, we think x 14 days = 70 points for a 14 day cruise in AQ, than x 2 14 day cruises OP had booked. That is why OP put 70 x 2.

Correct. 4 points are from old cruises, the two in 2014 would give us:

1 point - cruise itself

1 point - Aqua Class

1 point - 14 nights

That's 3 x 2 = 6 plus 4 we have = 10 = Elite

Now we only get 5 points for one day in AQ thats 70 points per cruise (under the old system it would be 3 x 30 points = 90, so 20 points missing per cruise).

Sad, but the math is correct. I'll bet they didn't think about that. Fair would be to honor cruises under the system booked so that customers won't loose anything.

Edited by UniPac

For those of us that do play by the rules, we seem to forget to factor in the element of timing and change. Someone is ALWAYS going to be on the positive side, and some of the negative side. I totally hear what you are saying..play by the rules...rules change...play by the new rules...maybe not! If you feel like you deserve more because you played by the rules, you always get disappointed. I learned this lesson the hard way, and now I try to just move on ASAP. It really isn't about me that way. No need to internalize or play "what if!" IT IS WHAT IT IS! Life is way too short, whether you're retired or not!!!

If they held off until January we might have made Elite+ by our Alaska Cruise. As it is, we will have to wait until after Alaska. We would have enjoyed the 10% discounts on a beverage package and 15% on a specialty restaurant but if it is not to be, so be it. We will enjoy the additional perks after Alaska.

Mary Lo

We've had 35 cruises someday it will not matter, if this breaks your heart cancel and don't cruise.............

As said before, it's just because of the plans. And it is not possible to cancel everything without loosing even more money - even if we won't have to pay anything it would still be the time already invested. But that's not the point.

The message we have been told was "book and get a reward", we booked and now they change the reward. Easy thing. If it would be a "regular" cruise for 10 days or so I think I won't even have thought about it. But the 18 nights cruise is a big thing for us making the loss of Elite quite a deal for us.

After this cruise it won't matter, but this is the time Elite status will matter MOST for us.

I know it might be hard to understand. If you can't, thats okay with me :D

Edited by UniPac

Hi all,

4 points x 30 = 120

Thanks for reading!

On the two 14 night cruises keep an eye out for a suite guarantee right after final payment. You may be able to upgrade for not too much extra and get the extra suite points.

One warning - once in a suite it might be hard to go back.

On the two 14 night cruises keep an eye out for a suite guarantee right after final payment. You may be able to upgrade for not too much extra and get the extra suite points.

One warning - once in a suite it might be hard to go back.

Excellent suggestion from garlinn!

UniPac, just keep an eye on suite availability for both 14 night cruises.

Even if no suite guarantees are offered, it could be worth upgrading to a sky suite for either one of the two 14 night cruises to reach the 300 point requirement for Elite.

The extra 3 points per day for 14 days would give you an additional 42 points, raising you from 260 points to 302.

I don't know where you are located, UniPac, but doubt it is the USA since you mentioned saving Euros.

However, if you are before final payment and if you would be able to cancel those 14 day cruises without penalty, you may want to check out pricing from some of the major US travel agencies.

They are allowed to sell Celebrity cruises to passengers from other countries and some of them sometimes offer better prices than what you can get booking directly with the cruise line, additionally tossing in their own generous perks.

But by doing that, you might lose perks you already have. It is worth weighing the pros and cons both ways before deciding.

I have read about some people saying that Captains Club might be giving bonus points to people in the OPs situation. It might be worth a phone call or email to the Captains Cub explaining your situation, and asking for bonus points so that they are Elite for that long one to Sydney, nothing may come of it, but it never hurts to ask!

SImilar situation. We decided that we wanted to do the Galapogas in 2016. We embark on a 7 day cruise in CC in 6 days which along with 2 cruises planned in 2014 and 2015 would get us to elite by our Galapogas cruise based on the current point system. We would then get the Elite discount. Now there no way for us to make it given the limited vacation time we have. Since there is no incentive to stay with Celebrity we will either look at other cruises, forego the Galapogas or just take land based vacation rather than work toward elite. I can't afford to do suites to try and get there in time. If they had at least given us the expected points for this cruise we still could have made it. Ah well, there will be those that are happy and those that won't be with the new system. I'm afraid we're in the latter.

I guess Celebrity really is for people who are retired and can cruise all the time.

Would you mind elaborating what Elite "discount" you mean ? We are Elite and did not get a discount yet. (unless you mean free laundry, internet, etc.).

Thanks for understanding me! Was a bit afraid of getting too many negative responses...

Concerning the suite upgrade: well currently the first 14nights cruise is sold quite good... the second one is in the med, i think it will sell out, too. But I will keep my eyes open.

I also will think about contacting Captains Club.

Algebralovr and all others: is there any source about this bonus points thing?

Would you mind elaborating what Elite "discount" you mean ? We are Elite and did not get a discount yet. (unless you mean free laundry, internet, etc.).

Under the old system, a benefit of being Elite was a 10% discount on the Galapagos cruise. Not sure if that benefit has remained under the new system.

Yvette

As said before, it's just because of the plans. And it is not possible to cancel everything without loosing even more money - even if we won't have to pay anything it would still be the time already invested. But that's not the point.

The message we have been told was "book and get a reward", we booked and now they change the reward. Easy thing. If it would be a "regular" cruise for 10 days or so I think I won't even have thought about it. But the 18 nights cruise is a big thing for us making the loss of Elite quite a deal for us.

After this cruise it won't matter, but this is the time Elite status will matter MOST for us.

I know it might be hard to understand. If you can't, thats okay with me :D

Sorry this happened to you. It is kind of like going to college and just when you think you are about to graduate, the counselor informs you they changed the criteria and you have to take 3 more classes to get your degree....right??

Some of us do cruise to earn the status and the perks and benefits that go with that (and have a lot of fun doing it). It kind of seems to me that the ones saying "just get over it" are those that want to be in the elite category all by themselves. I have been posting for years on this site and see it all the time and not just on Celebrity. I just read a post where somebody stated there were far too many elites and they just want to guzzle down the free booze in unimaginable quantities during the social hour. I am not trying to criticize anyone but I have noticed that some (definitely not all) elite flaunt their status it and for some reason, it detracts from their enjoyment if some 'low life' makes it into their 'private club'. WHY? I don't get it. Don't they want everybody that loves cruising to reap all possible benefits of cruising? Happy passengers make happy stateroom neighbors, happy fellow diners, happy theater goers, happy tourists, etc.

We are all set to become Elite after our next cruise and would have made it there either under the old system or new system but as you, have booked 2 cruises with Celebrity for future dates and would have been a tad irritated if they changed to rules to having to earn 400 points to become elite. It would not have ruined our cruise enjoyment by any means but yes, a bit irritated. I hope you enjoy your cruises anyway. Again, sorry this happened to you.

Hi all,

Thanks for reading!

I don't know when your 2 cruises are but if you haven't reached your final payment yet, there may be a way. The rumor is the new 1-2-3- offer might include 25 bonus point toward tier credit. If you cancel and rebook, you would have 310!

I feel your pain. We've already paid for our two January cruises that would have gotten us 26 old points and the hoped for elite plus. We will be 20 points short now. We're doing the 34 night around Australia in 2015. Luckily it's in two segments so we'll make it for the second leg.

Good luck.

Cynthia

Thanks for understanding me! Was a bit afraid of getting too many negative responses...

Concerning the suite upgrade: well currently the first 14nights cruise is sold quite good... the second one is in the med, i think it will sell out, too. But I will keep my eyes open.

I also will think about contacting Captains Club.

Algebralovr and all others: is there any source about this bonus points thing?

Bonuses were apparently given to those of us that were very, very close (1 or 2 points away) to Elite.

I definitely feel the pain of people in the situation of the OP. I would be very disappointed myself.

I wanted to reply to the comment, though, about upper levels only being for those retired and who cruise a lot. We are lucky enough to be bumped up to the new Elite level. We are not retired, and while we have cruised "a lot" that cruising has taken place over more than 20 years cruising Celebrity. Our first Celebrity cruise was taken in 1993 I believe it was. We have cruised generally once or twice a year, with a few years missed here and there. I just wanted to speak up on behalf of those of us who have been loyal for years and years and years. We earned our status the old fashioned way, as the saying goes. There is sometimes so much animosity on these boards for people who have achieved the better levels that I wanted to put in a good word for folks who earned these levels by being very, very loyal to one brand. No, I don't think this makes us "better" than anyone else, but please don't begrudge us what we have earned by being loyal for so many years.

And once again, I sympathize 100% with those who were on the downside of this announcement. Hopefully Celebrity will make it right somehow.

The new system is affecting a lot of us....

Posted yesterday an another thread....

Currently, I am select with 5 points (150 with new system) upcoming Dec. 14, 5 night cruise in AQ--add 2 points, under current system. ( 5 points per night = 25 points with new system)

current..7 points

new......175 points

March 2014, 15 night TA in AQ, current 3 points ( 75 points with new system)

current..10 points (elite on next cruise)

new......250 points (still need 50 points for elite status)

We are scheduled for a Baltic cruise following the TA. We thought we would be Elite on that cruise. That was my reasoning behind taking the quick 5 nighter in Dec(to get the two points).

Show customer loyalty, be rewarded...not so much. Will wait for official Celebrity word, if that ever happens, but may rethink our cruising plans.(looking at a European river cruise during same time frame. April/May 2014)

_______

Received some positive understanding responses, and a lot of "you are a whiner". I guess there are just some naturally unpleasant people on these boards.

I was simply hoping for Select status after my January 2014 B2B. I would have had six points in the current system. Now I'm still a cruise short. Quite frankly, the extra point was why we booked a B2B instead of a 14-night cruise. The extra point was important to us in our cruise planning. I do like that they are going to a points-per-day system, though it hurts a bit to have all of my planning since my first cruise blow up on me. I'll survive, of course.

It's RCCL deja vu - we missed diamond because of the change RCCL did to their points system - took us 3 years to make it back up.

there will be winners and losers

I can't work out how some people got the 30 x nights plus a 25 bonus and we didn't get the bonus

so what was the 25 bonus for then?

It's RCCL deja vu - we missed diamond because of the change RCCL did to their points system - took us 3 years to make it back up.

there will be winners and losers

I can't work out how some people got the 30 x nights plus a 25 bonus and we didn't get the bonus

so what was the 25 bonus for then?

Those that had 8 (old) points were given 25 additional points so that they could still make elite with 2 more cruises. Those with 9 points were given 16 points. I am not sure about those with 4 points on their way to select.