Nappy's in pool - Radiance

RCCL faq only mentions children

Please note: Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups or who are not COMPLETELY toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, whirlpools or H2O zone.

from

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/search/processSearch.do?ip_server=prdiphrase-unstruct-new222.dmz.rccl.com%3A200&ip_text=DIAPERS&searchSubmit=

You missed the guest conduct policy, which is second in your search which stated that guests in diapers or who are not toilet trained cannot use the pool.

It boils down to this, RC and all cruise lines need to enforce all of the rules. That is diapered babies in the pool, dress code, smuggling, smoking, chair hogs. They are so afraid of offending even one guest that they forget that they may be offending hundreds.:(

This is true! And it is true for other venues in our global society -- if people get away with breaking posted rules in one situation, they become accustomed to breaking the rules elsewhere. It is almost as if they see the signs, but mentally believe - "Oh this sign is for OTHER people, not me"

LOL! Slight overreaction eh?

I always find if fascinating that people freak out the instant a diapered child hits the water. Yet everyone is fine with the fact that all the drunk adults can magically consume huge quantities of alcohol while spending hours in the pool, yet never need to get out to pee. Miraculous!

I'll take a bunch of diapered kids in the pool anytime!

Flawed logic.

Perhaps a slight overreaction, but not outside of RCI's possible actions. While there is no USPH regulation that requires adults to get out of the pool every so often to empty their bladder, there are regulations against children in diapers being in the pool. Chlorine can overcome any (and I won't get into the whole sterile urine thing) contamination from urine. Fecal matter, by its composition is much harder to decontaminate.

All is would take is one passenger who is already disgruntled with their cruise to send a picture from their phone to the USPH complaining of the diapered children being in the pool, and USPH would be down on the ship the next US port. If there was no documentation regarding the incident, that could potentially cause a failing score on the USPH inspection. There is a whole different set of construction requirements, operational requirements, and manning of the pool by crew, for pools used by children in swim diapers.

Thanks for this! Now I know what to do the next time I see a diaper in a pool.:D

I'm the one who suggested putting people off the ship for a second incident of allowing a diapered baby in the pool and I don't think its an overreaction at all.

This is an issue that impacts the safety of others and therefore choosing to ignore the policy after you have already been told to follow it should result in your removal from the ship.

There was a discussion about this policy & ships based in Australia on the Family Board a while back. I may be mistaken, but I believe there was an exception to this policy for those ships due to Australian policies of some kind. I will look for the thread.

I'm the one who suggested putting people off the ship for a second incident of allowing a diapered baby in the pool and I don't think its an overreaction at all.

This is an issue that impacts the safety of others and therefore choosing to ignore the policy after you have already been told to follow it should result in your removal from the ship.

It's a completely ridiculous overreaction. Maybe we should staff every bathroom and anyone who doesn't use soap and hot water to wash their hands will be kicked off.

I agree doing it repeatedly is inconsiderate. And if there were an accident resulting in the closure and cleaning of the pool, then they should pay big bucks. But kicking them off is completely asinine.

Edited by macruisefan

It's a completely ridiculous overreaction. Maybe we should staff every bathroom and anyone who doesn't use soap and hot water to wash their hands will be kicked off.

I agree doing it repeatedly is inconsiderate. And if there were an accident resulting in the closure and cleaning of the pool, then they should pay big bucks. But kicking them off is completely asinine and basically a stupid suggestion.

While the ship in this situation is home ported in Oz, and therefore not subject to USPH regulations, they are still under WHO regulations, which I am not familiar with, so I can't say whether there is a WHO regulation about diapers or not.

For a ship under USPH regulations, they cannot regulate the behavior of the passengers, so people not washing their hands would not affect their bottom line. Pool record keeping and fecal accidents ARE regulated, and could result in loss of business due to a failed USPH inspection.

Whether you think its right or not, disembarking passengers would be the only recourse available to the cruise line. There is no clause in the cruise contract to charge a passenger more for violating guest behavior guidelines, and I don't even think it would be legal. However, the cruise contract says that the line can disembark a passenger for ANY violation of the guest behavior rules. This is basic to contract law; the passenger agrees to obey the behavior rules, and the line agrees to transport the passenger. Either side breaking the contract, allows the other side to invalidate the contract.

Young children wear nappy/diaper for a reason and that is they cannot control their bodies. If fecal matter is seen in the pool, it must be emptied and scrubbed down with disinfectant. All this so one inconsiderate parent who feels they have a right and the rest of us do not can put their child in the pool.

This whole issue is beyond gross.

I always find if fascinating that people freak out the instant a diapered child hits the water. Yet everyone is fine with the fact that all the drunk adults can magically consume huge quantities of alcohol while spending hours in the pool, yet never need to get out to pee. Miraculous!

It certainly is NOT an overreaction. Feces can make you horrifically ill, urine is sterile. You can ingest urine and not become sick (although I would rather not), if you ingest feces I can promise you that you will be terribly sick and could possibly die.

I have known adults (drunk or sober) to pee in a pool. That is gross. I have never known one to poop in the pool. Diapers leak both - and not always visible amounts. Fecal particles can be very small but still very dangerous.

And as for the ludicrous comment comparing diapers in a pool to not washing your hands? Both are disgusting, but since we don't routinely go around licking each other's hands, it really isn't the same level, now is it?

Edited by cruisnseas

Urine is sterile when it comes out. feces are not and is the source of all the nasty bugs that put the rest of us in quarantine when exposed.

I agree doing it repeatedly is inconsiderate. And if there were an accident resulting in the closure and cleaning of the pool, then they should pay big bucks. But kicking them off is completely asinine.

Not in the least bit is it asinine. To put others health at risk because you choose to not follow some basic standards of safety even after being told to, now that's asinine!

I didn't go into the family pool either because I saw a lady, who one would assume was intelligent by looks, in the pool with her baby (about 10 months old) in a diaper swimming the cutie in around the pool enjoying every minute of it but making it unsafe for the rest of us. I guess I should have said something to crew but I figured enough others were watching and actually in bathing suits they'd say something. Looks can be deceiving, she should have done better.

Seventy two percent of store carts have fecal matter on the handles. I ALWAYS sanitize. Think of the kids sitting there in the seat coughing and drooling all over the handle. I don't have the best immune system so I constantly think of things like that.

Edited by JustCruiseMe

We were on a cruise where I child with an obvious problem was being pulled around in the pool and was OBVIOUSLY leaking a stream of fecal matter. The pool was closed for the entire day. Everyone thinks, "not going to happen to our child"...yeah, right. Keep the ones in diapers out of the pool, please.

Yes, this is a huge problem and the crew will not do anything unless you complain. On Mariner in Asia this year, the adults only pool and hot tub were frequently targeted by parents with diapered kids who thought the quieter surroundings were suited to their darlings. It was up to the passengers to police this unfortunately. I'll never forget the kid streaming pee all the way down the steps into the pool.....

I made it clear to staff at the pool. I put it in my customer satisfaction survey and I'm going to email RCCL.

Kudos.

Plenty of people claim they will send e-mails, write, etc...but few actually follow through. Nice to see some people do it. That's the only way RCI will understand what is going on and how it impacts their customers.