Who will miss Acapella Quartet

Blue Skies

It's not that I miss them - but while on the ship I did notice that Celebrity did not have an acapella group on our sailing on Equinox in October.

Plus there was no string trio/quartet and

there was no piano player.

* And anyway what's with having 4 grand piano's and not employing someone to play them ?!! :confused:

So Celebrity are providing less variety, and as it is, on top of that those performers only play for a pathetic 45 minutes - probably at most twice in the day (and even then only in a certain couple of places around the ship - most often in the hallway (the euphemistically named Grand Foyer)).

So I noticed the lack of variety. Things being taken away, not added to, not improved on.

Three FORMER acapalla singers have moved on to other roles on Connie:

1st one is in cruise sales

2nd is on activities staff

3rd on guitar/vocals.

Both my DW and I will not miss their singing.

They performed for such a short period of time so infrequently that we're happy that Celebrity has replaced 4 short acts with two duos playing more often or two guitar players and another duo for part of the cruise. Now all they have to do is find more talented performers than were on board for part of the cruise.

There are now more performers playing in more venues for longer periods of time. We think it is a good trade off for our musical tastes. We know many loved their singing but we just never developed a taste for that style.

Cruisenut ~ unfortunately on our recent Reflection cruise, your note about more performers playing in more venues for longer periods was not the case. No string quartet, no guitar player, no piano bar player. No entertainment at the Oceanview or Sunset Bar areas. Two groups (a duo that was terrible and a jazz quartet who was OK) played 45 minutes sets in Ensemble and were followed late night by a piano player that we couldn't decipher what he was playing. Two DJs on our cruise and one evening where the entertainment was two guys with iPads and a drummer.

I fear Celebrity's direction for entertainment is fewer entertainers, more people who can play iPads and in general create noise.

Like the A Capella groups or not, they always packed lounges & lobbies wherever they sang. Maybe Celebrity doesn't want people with drink packages in their lounges any longer. They may get their wish before long.

While the a-capella performers were interesting it was sort of what I'd call "flash" entertainment. They'd come, sing for 15-20 minutes, people would stand around while they sang and then the singers and the guests would be gone.

What I really miss is when they had really good Caribbean party bands who would play a couple hours by the pool and at island sail away by the pool, and then until late most evenings in the large lounges. Also when they also had really good acoustic Guitar/singer who would play most of the night, with a few breaks, out on the aft deck and just occasionally in other lounges. I'd take talented performers filling the lounges for longer periods of time over the acapella groups anytime. But that is just my preference.

Also miss the good quality piano bar performers, who played both before dinner and late, on all the ships and not just Perry Grant's unusual like it or not performance on one single ship.

Classical quartets, harp player, and dinner music type pianists who played around the ship in public areas during the day and restaurants at night.

They should figure out who was running the lounge entertainment department at the home office back in 2003 to 2005 and rehire them.

Edited by Lsimon

There was an absolutely WONDERFUL Acapella Group on Reflection during the transatlantic in November.

They were regular performers almost every night in the Atrium/main lobby. ( I REALLY looked forward to their performances as it signaled a respite from the obnoxious and far too loud techno crap played at the Martini Bar.)

There was always a good crowd lining the railings and stairs on all three levels, almost everyone had smiles on their faces, most were tapping feet and many were singing along.

I thought their renditions of "Love Potion #9" and "Silhouettes on the Shades" were thoroughly enjoyable.

I most surely can understand Celebrity wanting to expand and attract more of a younger demo than the average age of 68 or 69 on this cruise... BUT...

With the loss of a crooning piano player in the old version of Michaels, the dumping of the "strings" that were a regular attraction in the Ensemble Lounge, no guitar players, and now the termination of Acapella groups, the "Suits" at X seem to be hell bent on alienating the vast majority of their CURRENT CLIENTELE. (remember THEM??? the people who pay the bills!?!?)

Edited by teecee60

Cruisenut ~ unfortunately on our recent Reflection cruise, your note about more performers playing in more venues for longer periods was not the case. No string quartet, no guitar player, no piano bar player. No entertainment at the Oceanview or Sunset Bar areas. Two groups (a duo that was terrible and a jazz quartet who was OK) played 45 minutes sets in Ensemble and were followed late night by a piano player that we couldn't decipher what he was playing. Two DJs on our cruise and one evening where the entertainment was two guys with iPads and a drummer.

I fear Celebrity's direction for entertainment is fewer entertainers, more people who can play iPads and in general create noise.

Like the A Capella groups or not, they always packed lounges & lobbies wherever they sang. Maybe Celebrity doesn't want people with drink packages in their lounges any longer. They may get their wish before long.

This is a particularly sad note which has left us blue. We have enjoyed the variety of musical entertainment that we always encountered during Celebrity cruises. We particularly enjoyed the A Capella groups as well as the guitar player/vocalist in the sunset bar and the string quartets too. We even enjoyed the stage productions. On our most recent cruise there was a trio I think that played by the pools. As a previous poster has already said this was an attack of drum pads and synthesized music.

We really liked the original version of several songs they performed. Unfortunately this trio wasn't particularly good. Furthermore, what they lacked in quality they tried to make up for in volume. Little did we suspect that this was harbinger of things to come.

I don't think for a minute that =X= should cater to our musical tastes exclusively. The key is to provide a variety of different music types so that almost everyone can find performances they enjoy. Sadly this variety is simply no longer available on Celebrity.

:mad::(:mad:

I will miss the A-capella groups also especially since this was unique to Celebrity. Was looking forward to our upcoming b2b on Constellation. Only needed 3 more credits when these cruises were booked to make elite. Then the program changed. Cancelled one of the cruises because of this. Now I wish I would have cancelled both but past final payment now. Princess is doing similar 4 and 5 night cruises during January and they are giving 100% of your money back toward a future cruise in 2014. I've always loved Celebrity and I'm sure I will still enjoy my Constellation cruise but disappointed with the direction they are heading. I always thought Celebrity was a cut above the others, now I'm not so sure. I hope I'm proven wrong after my cruise next month.

Edited by tartan cruiser

I know not everyone liked them but we will be sad to see the loss of the A-Capella group, we really mised them on the Silhouette in November. There was no string quartet either. We did have a guitarist/singer (the singer bit wouldn't be my description though!) at the sunset bar and he also 'entertained' in Michael's Club in the evenings. I am not sure what description X gave to the group in the ensemble lounge but it was a real mix, guitars, drums etc and not our cup of tea at all.

As some others have previously posted, if X are going to change our enternatinment on their ships, the least they can do is employ more talented individuals. Have got a couple more crusies booked for late 2014, so we are hoping that they have the right 'mix' by then. However, we are not holding our breath!!!

Lyn

Oh, I always thought the a cappella groups were part of their thing to appeal to younger cruisers. I mean, a cappella is very popular in college, and these groups on the ship would bring back memories of college for those in their 20s and 30s.

IN their 20's and 30's or FROM the 20's and 30's?

:D

I can't remember an acapella group at The Ohio State University when I went, though I'm sure there was one.

There was a good a Capella group (Uncommon Ground) on the 11/30 Reflection cruise. They were, judging from applause, one of the more popular acts on the ship. The new cruise director (Alexander) started a program of concerts on sea days that week, and the 45 minute show the a Capella group did in the Celebrity Central theater (the small one) was SRO.

Several have mentioned that they don't care for this style of singing, while others love it. This group appeared about 6 times during the week doing those 15 minute sets, and then the whole show in the theater on Thursday. And if you didn't like it, you didn't have to attend...

We are loyal Royal Caribbean cruisers who did our first Celebrity cruise, and we saw several differences in entertainment approach. We really missed the piano bar person, but really enjoyed having the a Capella group.

Dave in Atlanta

We also enjoyed acapella groups on many cruises! However, what they really need is a group playing salsa or latino music in the main foyer or lounges! Now that would get people dancing!! It's easy to learn and alot of fun to dance to . . . :D

Edited by sharkwl

We had the great honour of having a personal serenade in the Murano Wine Cellar for our 100th cruise point back in 2008.

IMG_0820.jpg

Celebrity has made the decision to replace the A cappella groups with a greater variety of acts. Some have been excellent, some mediocre.

However I have witnessed full venues wherever they played in the past.

Constellation entertainment:

TodayPhoto.jpg

Celebrity today.PDF