too sick to cruise?

gooch47

I often wonder what people do if they wake up the morning they are supposed to leave for a cruise and are sick. Not just a cold, but something worse like vomiting or diarrhea? Do you blow off a whole cruise for something that will most likely be over in 24 hours? How would you manage a plane ride?

A lot of you will recognize me as CC's biggest worry wart. We have an intestinal virus going around here and of course, I'm sure one of us is going to get it.

Yes, I know that the cruise line wouldn't want someone who is sick boarding the ship.

While checking in at the terminal on one cruise I overheard two young boys discussing how sick they had felt the night before and graphic descriptions of their symptoms:eek: Sounded like a virus to me.

I know I could have told someone, but what a ruckus that would have caused. Just image how irate theirs parent would have been. It would be hard to prove if the boys simply had overeaten or had an actual virus.

Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you............Happy Holidays:)

I recently had to fly and woke up feeling like death. I loaded myself up with every medication possible and went. Granted, this was a wicked cold and nothing worse, but I'd probably do the same if it was anything else and seemed to be a simple virus.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I recall plenty of trips in my younger days when we'd be physically sick when we travelled ... of course it was usually self-imposed and the result of too many bon voyage drinks the night before, commonly called the 26-ounce virus ;-)

OP - you should be loading up on vitamins!!!

Edited by JanineM

I recently had to fly and woke up feeling like death. I loaded myself up with every medication possible and went. Granted, this was a wicked cold and nothing worse, but I'd probably do the same if it was anything else and seemed to be a simple virus.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I recall plenty of trips in my younger days when we'd be physically sick when we travelled ... of course it was usually self-imposed and the result of too many bon voyage drinks the night before, commonly called the 26-ounce virus ;-)

I like to think I would give consideration to all those folks seated near me on the plane and would bypass my own wishes for vacation in favor of not spreading my germs to those who were unfortunate to be assigned seats in my area. It's their vacation, their business meeting, their health at risk..... not just mine.

JMO.......

Not knowing the health issues (if any) of anyone sitting within my "breathing space" on an airplane, I would seriously consider not traveling. Even with a "simple virus". You don't know whether that simple virus could be much more threatening to someone else.

On our recent cruise, one of our tablemates showed up to dinner 2 nights before the end of the cruise announcing he had "the worst cold he's ever had". Guess what? By the time I got home 3 days later my head was stuffed, my ears were hurting, and I was coughing up icky-sticky mucus constantly. And, yes, it was about the worst cold I've ever had also. It's taken me about 3 weeks to get rid of all the effects of it. I think he should have kept to his room onboard and not spread the germs, and I'm a pretty healthy person.

I often wonder what people do if they wake up the morning they are supposed to leave for a cruise and are sick. Not just a cold, but something worse like vomiting or diarrhea?

````````````````````````````````````````````````

:eek: If I had those symptoms, the absolute last place I'd want to be is anyplace other than home.

LuLu

I can't imagine having to travel with diarrhea or vomiting. But I also can't imagine losing out on a cruise because of symptoms that would probably be over with by the time the cruise actually started. I agree, though, that it isn't fair to others to expose them.

I wonder if cruise insurance would cover a cruise cancelled because of a relatively minor illness.

I like to think I would give consideration to all those folks seated near me on the plane and would bypass my own wishes for vacation in favor of not spreading my germs to those who were unfortunate to be assigned seats in my area. It's their vacation, their business meeting, their health at risk..... not just mine.

JMO.......

There are always going to be times when one has to travel, shop or go to work when sick. In today's world, it's almost unavoidable. And I did not have a fever (haven't had a fever in 30 years), and I *did* medicate myself so I wouldn't sneeze or cough. I didn't even speak to anyone.

In a perfect world everyone would have travel insurance or would have the luxury to stay home when they have a cold or minor stomach virus. I truly wish people WOULD stay home when they're sick. I wish my boss would send home my coworker who comes in with coughs or fevers every other week. I have family members with chronic illnesses so am well aware of the damage a few germs can do. But would I cancel a cruise if I woke up with a *minor* bug? No. I was just being honest.

I can't imagine having to travel with diarrhea or vomiting. But I also can't imagine losing out on a cruise because of symptoms that would probably be over with by the time the cruise actually started. I agree, though, that it isn't fair to others to expose them.

I wonder if cruise insurance would cover a cruise cancelled because of a relatively minor illness.

another reason to fly to wherever a couple of days early. if you have to delay a day you still won't miss the cruise. just stay away from anyone connected with OhioHealth.

There was a thread here last year where someone claimed to have stayed home due to sickness. It sure would be a hard choise to make. we flew to Miami one time with pretty bad colds, but we were there 4 days precruise, so by time we got on the ship we were better. Noro went around that cruise, so we ended up sick with that later in the week. It can all happen at home, I guess you just have to balance it with being conciderate of others. I see people in other countries, notably Asian, they will wear masks in public, maybe we should be more open to that. It's kind of a smart thing to do.

I get a sinus infection about twice a year. I feel like my head will explode (sometimes cannot even stand to wear my glasses) but the doctor has assured me that I am not contagious. I actually came down with one on my last cruise. I took it easy for a few days and took the medicine I brought with me. If I should get one right before a cruise I would still go.

A few years ago when several ships based at Port Everglades had multiple outbreaks of Noro, the scuttlebut was that there were medical personnel posted in the terminal watching for anyone doing the green-apple-quick-step in and out of the restrooms. And I'm sure they had all checked "no symptoms" on their health forms.

On my most recent cruise (a T/A) there was a bug going around the ship that caused cold symptoms. Many people were out and about the ship, coughing and sneezeing and blowing, and spreading their yucky crud to other passengers. Of course, I came down with it!

Fortunately it occurred during the sea days crossing the Atlantic, and I was able to retreat to my cabin, avoid the dining room and buffet,and get room service instead for a couple of days, and took the cold meds I had brought with me. Boring .... yes! But I felt it would be wrong to spread my germs to others while my symptoms were at their worst.

I do wish the others had felt that way too.

DH is a physician and just got an email from Va Dept of Health saying that this was going to be a very active year for NOROvirus. :(

LOTS of soap and water are the best prevention! Sing "Happy Birthday" three times while washing hands and wrists, with attention to under fingernails. :)

We took a Viking Cruise on the Yangtze River in China a few years ago. When we arrived in China and were going through Chinese customs you had to walk through a thing that looked like a metal detector. It was checking your body temperature. If it registered a fever, you were detained and quarantined.

I worried that I'd be having one of my hot flashes just at the wrong time.

I get a sinus infection about twice a year. I feel like my head will explode (sometimes cannot even stand to wear my glasses) but the doctor has assured me that I am not contagious. I actually came down with one on my last cruise. I took it easy for a few days and took the medicine I brought with me. If I should get one right before a cruise I would still go.

What you describe, is not contagious. If you feel strong, well enough to cruise, no reason not to as you would not be exposing others to illness.

On my most recent cruise (a T/A) there was a bug going around the ship that caused cold symptoms. Many people were out and about the ship, coughing and sneezeing and blowing, and spreading their yucky crud to other passengers. Of course, I came down with it!

Fortunately it occurred during the sea days crossing the Atlantic, and I was able to retreat to my cabin, avoid the dining room and buffet,and get room service instead for a couple of days, and took the cold meds I had brought with me. Boring .... yes! But I felt it would be wrong to spread my germs to others while my symptoms were at their worst.

I do wish the others had felt that way too.

What a treat to read someone who gave consideration to not spreading illness to others. Sorry you became ill from selfish people who thought only of themselves but happy you were able to treat it on sea days and recover to enjoy your ports.

Stay well. :)

Had a cruise scheduled to leave Sunday from Tampa, flight early Sat. from California. Woke up Friday with a "weird" feeling in my neck and jaw. Called my HMO and talked to the nurse who said I should come in.

Doctor had me do a treadmill test that he said would take about 30 minutes. Three minutes later he said, "seen enough". Wanted to do bypass surgery on Saturday morning.

Told him it would have to wait!!. He game me nitro tablets and off I went. Had the surgery when I got back.

Just cruise Baby, cruise:cool:

I have only been concerned about this one time. We flew from LAX to Paris and on to Rome for our Med cruise. I awoke the next morning in Rome with a head cold. I began to medicate and take Airborne. Thankfully we had 3 days in Rome prior to the cruise, so I was over the worst of the symptoms before we boarded the ship, and I did not have to lie about any of the questions. The questions were more toward the stomach/intestinal problems or seen a doctor in the past week.

But if I had to fudge I would have. After flying half way around the World for a 12 day cruise, I could not see missing it for a cold. I'm not sure if insurance would cover not going because of a cold.

another reason to fly to wherever a couple of days early. if you have to delay a day you still won't miss the cruise. just stay away from anyone connected with OhioHealth.

Why would you even say something like that? I use Ohio Health for many things (my family doctor, riverside and dublin hospital, labs, etc) and they are no different than anywhere else I go (such as the James).

I often wonder what people do if they wake up the morning they are supposed to leave for a cruise and are sick. Not just a cold, but something worse like vomiting or diarrhea? Do you blow off a whole cruise for something that will most likely be over in 24 hours? How would you manage a plane ride?

Honestly, I would self assess and then medicate appropriately and try to avoid contact as much as possible with others. I have boarded with the early stages of bronchitis. I took tons of cough syrup and sinus pills and then drank lots of water to stifle the cough through the check in process. By the time we got home it was very bad and I had to go to the doctor and get a round of antibiotics. But while we were in the caribbean air my lungs were very soothed and the cough barely bothered me.

very interesting topic. After working several years in the airline industry, I've seen it all as far as traveling public when ill. I'll withold my opinion about the whole "I'm entitled, cause I paid for it" mentality that is so previlant in todays society, but will say that I've made sure to do all that I can to be as healthy as I can when we leave in a week. I've changed my daily Emergen-C to the Emergen-C +Immunity and will take that with me... and have the masks in my carryon. I agree that the Asians habit of masks in public should be a habit we are more open to. Its not attractive, but it keeps your germs in your area, not mine.

Fortunalty the airline we're flying on has 3-2 seating, and we're seated on the 2 seat side, but none the less if people around me are sneezing and hacking.. you can bet I'm gonna dig out that mask. I don't want someone else who feels its ok to travel when sick, to ruin my vacation. Even if it is just a 24-hour bug...

Sometimes you travel and just hope for the best. But like someone else said on a previous post if you have traveled half way around the world and you come down with a virus or a cold I would still cruise. Too far to go to not to. I think everyone lies on those forms that you fill out. Do you really think someone is going to be honest on a form like that if 24 hrs. before they were vomiting or diarrhea and now are over it. I would not.

Lets all be honest........:cool::cool::cool: