Princess passport requirements

Steven1769

Hello everyone!

I have a cruise booked with Princess, round trip from Los Angeles, going to Mexico. As I understand it, my girlfriend does not need a passport but I'm told she does proof of citizenship. She has a photocopy of her "Consular Report of Birth Abroad" but she has lost the original copy. We are requesting the original copy but it may not be here on time. When I called Princess I was told a drivers license or her military ID (she is active duty military) would be sufficient to prove her citizenship along with the photocopy. Does anyone know if this is accurate? I'd hate to get all the way down there only to find out she can't board, so I just want to make sure the Princess representative is correct. Thanks in advance!

This is a tough call. Like your GF, I was born abroad. Not wanting to trust to the whims of whoever was allowing me on a ship or back into the US, I got a passport ages ago. That I have confidence in when cruising.

For birth certificates, it needs to have the actual raised seal not a photocopy of a certificate with the raised seal. I would guess that the consular report would be the same.

When applying for my passport the official at the Post Office was very wary of my 'certificate of US citizen born abroad' (as they were known then). We could tell he didn't believe I would actually receive a US passport. He kept fingering the raised seal and reading the certificate over and over again.

I'm sorry to say that others have been told their documentation is OK, only to get to the pier and be turned away. If there is any chance that what she has now would be acceptable to get a passport, I'd play it safe and get the passport. If the photocopy isn't good enough to get a passport, it probably isn't going to be accepted for the cruise either.

I have no idea if her being active duty military will be a factor at all. I do thank her for her service.

Good luck.

Just as I was about to post I saw rogerthornhill had said what I was going to say.

If travel is in your life; get a passport!

You wouldn't expect people to be able to enter the USA without one so why would you expect to be able to enter a foreign country without one?

If it is too late to get a passport recontact Princess and ask them to email you the information that was given to you, as per this post, then if there is trouble boarding you will have at least some written confirmation from the cruise line which may help.

Hope all goes well.

Cheers, h.

Edited by middlehaitch

A military ID could prove citizenship - if you are an officer. By law, all officers must be US citizens. But this is not true of enlisted personnel. And I have never seen this listed as a form of citizenship ID/proof. And the report of birth abroad was not enough for someone recently. I don't remember which board it was, but someone was denied boarding who was trying to use that as proof of citizenship. He had to go back and apply to the State Dept. for a birth certificate. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

From the Princess Website:

US citizens traveling on U.S. roundtrip or “closed-loop” voyages may also travel with an original certified birth certificate presented together with a valid government-issued photo identification. These voyages include:

Alaska roundtrip from San Francisco or Seattle (roundtrip Seattle cruisetours excluded)

Canada/New England roundtrip from New York

Caribbean roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale^, New York or Houston

Hawaii roundtrip from Los Angeles and San Francisco

Mexico roundtrip from Los Angeles or San Francisco

I suspect that your girlfriends Consular Report of Birth Abroad would be OK if it was the original. I hope the original arrives in time. You don't say when your cruise is but if it's in January you may want to look at an expedited passport. Looking at the website it says 2-3 weeks delivery time. I don't know however if the copy of her document will be sufficient to get a passport.

Lets put the OPs question in a more macro perspective. The golden document for any international travel is a valid passport. Lacking such a document you get into a foggy area where the US Government capitulated to the cruise industry and implemented special provisions for "closed loop" cruises. The OP is talking about a closed loop cruise but has now entered what I like to call the "mine field of uncertainty." My advice to anyone planning international travel is to go through the hassles and expense of getting a Passport. Otherwise, you must simply roll the dice and take your changes. Advice you get here on CC will not be worth anything when you get to the port, and what the cruise line tells you on the phone may also not be worth anything when you get to the port. At the port you are at the mercy of cruise line staff who is working that day....and possibly the decision of a CBP Official who happens to be on duty at the port. The only way to be absolutely certain that there will be no problems is to have a valid passport (preferably valid for at least 6 months). Otherwise.....do you like to gamble?

As to complexities of getting a Passport..for some folks it can be a problem. But better to jump through the hoops now rather then deal with potential problems (and uncertainty) later.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Military ID can be used for travel in lieu of a passport, but only when used in conjunction with military orders, which probably isn't the case for a cruise;).

The DHS regulations do allow passengers to use an original or copy of a birth certificate, but naturalization certificates and certificates of birth abroad need to be the originals. Of course cruise lines may have stricter requirements for boarding. Here is what getyouhome.gov has to say (for US citizens on a closed loop cruise):

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

A photocopy would not meet the requirements. The birth certificate has to have the raised seal to be valid proof. Of course, the people checking you in might not take things seriously, but would you want to bet on it?

Incorrect information. Not all certified birth certificates have a raised seal.

Military ID can be used for travel in lieu of a passport, but only when used in conjunction with military orders, which probably isn't the case for a cruise;).

The DHS regulations do allow passengers to use an original or copy of a birth certificate, but naturalization certificates and certificates of birth abroad need to be the originals. Of course cruise lines may have stricter requirements for boarding. Here is what getyouhome.gov has to say (for US citizens on a closed loop cruise):

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

"Military ID can be used for travel in lieu of a passport, but only when used in conjunction with military orders, which probably isn't the case for a cruise;)."

It's been a long time since I was in the military but I believe you are correct. Back in the late 80's I travelled between Germany and the US and only needed my military ID but, I was required to have military orders in hand to present with my military ID (even if I was on vacation leave). Granted I was also flying for those trips. I cannot say that is how it is now as many things in the world are very different from the late 80's. :)

Edited by Eng23

For birth certificates, it needs to have the actual raised seal not a photocopy of a certificate with the raised seal. I would guess that the consular report would be the same.

For the record a birth certificate does NOt necessarily have to have a raised seal for it to be considered a certified official BC. It can have any one of the following methods of registrar's authentication :

- Raised Seal

- Embossed Seal

- Impressed Seal

- Multi Color seal

Most government agencies have ceased using a raised, embossed or multi-color seal since they are more easily able to be counterfeited. Most agencies are now using Impressed Seals which are actually imbedded into the fibers during the manufacturing of the paper much like a water mark which are harder to counterfeit.

Edited by xxoocruiser

"Military ID can be used for travel in lieu of a passport, but only when used in conjunction with military orders, which probably isn't the case for a cruise;)."

It's been a long time since I was in the military but I believe you are correct. Back in the late 80's I travelled between Germany and the US and only needed my military ID but, I was required to have military orders in hand to present with my military ID (even if I was on vacation leave). Granted I was also flying for those trips. I cannot say that is how it is now as many things in the world are very different from the late 80's. :)

It's still the case. Just this Monday, I was flying home from London. As I was making my way past the documentation checks at the gate, I passed by a young man telling the agent that he didn't have a passport. He had military ID and orders.

The easier we make it for those from whom we need 'approval' while traveling, the easier it is on us. :)

If one has a passport, one passes quickly and easily.

Each layer of 'other than' makes it less smooth.

Lets put the OPs question in a more macro perspective. The golden document for any international travel is a valid passport. Lacking such a document you get into a foggy area where the US Government capitulated to the cruise industry and implemented special provisions for "closed loop" cruises. The OP is talking about a closed loop cruise but has now entered what I like to call the "mine field of uncertainty." My advice to anyone planning international travel is to go through the hassles and expense of getting a Passport. Otherwise, you must simply roll the dice and take your changes. Advice you get here on CC will not be worth anything when you get to the port, and what the cruise line tells you on the phone may also not be worth anything when you get to the port. At the port you are at the mercy of cruise line staff who is working that day....and possibly the decision of a CBP Official who happens to be on duty at the port. The only way to be absolutely certain that there will be no problems is to have a valid passport (preferably valid for at least 6 months). Otherwise.....do you like to gamble?

As to complexities of getting a Passport..for some folks it can be a problem. But better to jump through the hoops now rather then deal with potential problems (and uncertainty) later.

Hank

This is probably the best response ever to a question which gets asked all the time.

I would also put it another way - without a passport you are depending on someone to possibly make a choice between allowing your friend to board and risking their job, or denying boarding and not risking their job.

Hank

Posters on cc love "push" passports, to the point of distorting facts. Passports give you more flexibility if you need to fly home. Gives you the ability to consider vacation options which require a passport. BUT

The rules regarding a closed loop cruise aren't foggy or uncertain. The definition of a closed loop cruise is clear. The acceptable proof of citizenship is also clear.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139

Passengers on closed loop cruises travel without passports every day. Customs agents deal with this every day.

I agree, don't rely on internet discussion boards for any issue where exact facts are required. I offered the link to the CBP site listing criteria for a "closed loop cruise" and the documentation requirements.

There are valid reasons for not getting a passport. There are valid reasons for not purchasing travel insurance. There are valid reasons for flying into your embarkation cruise the day of your cruise, although I don't think it's a good idea and should be avoided. There are times where cruise air may make sense. So many posters think what applies to them applies to everyone.

It's still the case. Just this Monday, I was flying home from London. As I was making my way past the documentation checks at the gate, I passed by a young man telling the agent that he didn't have a passport. He had military ID and orders.

You are entirely correct. When I first started working as a government contractor in the Middle East, I was amazed at all the "kids" getting on planes going into Kuwait with me who didn't have a passport. They didn't need one, as I found out. Military ID and ORDERS. Those orders allow transport without passport, up to 3 70 pound bags and lots of other little items (food on planes is a common one). The orders also pre-clear any weapons that may need to be taken on the plane.

But for a cruise??? Nope, military ID won't do it. No more than just a DL without a BC.

IF you are in LA, you MAY be able to get an expedited passport with the photo copy of Consular Report of Birth Abroad, CAC, military ID, her latest orders, any other military paperwork she has in her possession. But you will have to make an appt with the passport office and even then, this may not work. But if you are actually sitting in the office, the officer can easily make the calls to State and her commander if they choose to and you might just get your expedited passport. If she has any kind of security clearance beyond confidential, she is already in all the DHS/FBI/CIA, etc. etc databases and clearance should be fairly easy to get a passport.

Good luck.

Edited by greatam

Good idea GreatAm

I was thinking the same thing. OP get your girlfriend and her paperwork to your nearest Passport office IN PERSON and see what they will do for you. IT is sometimes possible to walk and walk out with your passport in your hand.

Otherwise you risk losing your cruise.

Edited by agabbymama