Has anyone done the South America / Antarctica cruise?

OnTheJourney

Hi,

I'd like to get some feedback from anyone who has taken a South America / Antarctica cruise. I am interested in going and am looking at many different options - small ship / large ship. It appears that with the Celebrity itinerary at no time is there really an opportunity to actually set foot on Antarctica, unlike the smaller exploration-oriented cruises that utilize the zodiac crafts to go ashore. So if anyone has any insight into this, I'd greatly appreciate it. It looks like a nice cruise, but it seems the emphasis is more on South America than Antarctica.

Thanks,

Keith

We did this cruise on the Infinity,and is one of the most memorable.We were very lucky to get into every port.The cruise before ours missed quite a few ports and there was almost a mutiny on the ship.Antarctica is beautiful,it's just you and the iceburgs,whales,penquins,seals.I would do this cruise again in a heartbeat.

We did this cruise on the Infinity,and is one of the most memorable.We were very lucky to get into every port.The cruise before ours missed quite a few ports and there was almost a mutiny on the ship.Antarctica is beautiful,it's just you and the iceburgs,whales,penquins,seals.I would do this cruise again in a heartbeat.

I would love to do it but how cold is it?

We did Antarctica on the Infinity several years ago. It was one of our favorite cruises:) You cannot actually get off the ship in Antarctica. In our case the cruise before ours also have VERY bad weather. So bad that Michaels Club was flooded due to waves coming thru the exterior door.

Celebrity only has two Antarctica sailings per year.

We were going to do Antarctica again on the Infinity in 2014 and had booked both sailings to guarantee good weather. Unfortunately Celebrity has doubled the price since we sailed a few years ago and we finally cancelled because we felt it was too expensive. Antarctica plus the two subsequent segments (getting us back to the USA) for 4 in two Concierge cabins was going to be over $50K (not including shore excursions, gratuities, etc)!

I did the cruise in the 90's on an expedition ship (Abercrombie and Kent) and it was one of the best trips I have ever taken. An expedition ship cruise is more expensive, but in my estimation worth every penny. We had zodiaks that took us to the islands. We sat with the penguins, got up close and personal with some elephant seals, walked on a glacier, went to a research station and met with those who worked there, parked the ship one night with ice all around the ship (we could hear it creaking) and when we woke up, it was an amazing site to be seen.

On an expedition ship, it is very casual, they give you parkas to wear. The weather during the day was no colder than 35 degrees (which was great for me, because I lived in Minnesota at the time and was use to the cold), so half of the time, I just wore a heavy sweater. All shore excursion are included in the price, so you don't have to spend extra for them. We made at least two zodiak trips per day, with 8 to 10 in each zodiak. One memorable day was one where we were going to walk on the fast ice, but the Captain didn't feel it was safe enough, so we just went cruising. We went further south than any other passenger ship had gone, got to see a pod of 13 orcas and saw two emperor penguins on ice flows.

I could go on for days, but I'm sure it is getting boring. I would just say, if you have the chance to go, you will not be disappointed.

Well it is cold but i was shocked it wasn't as cold as i thought it would be.I brought a sherpa coat so i was toasty ,lol.My husband did bring a coat but he ended up wearing his sweater most of the time while cruising Antarctica.The Falkland islands were quite the experience,we went bogging to see the penquins,my hubby loved it ,of course ......

Hi,

I'd like to get some feedback from anyone who has taken a South America / Antarctica cruise. I am interested in going and am looking at many different options - small ship / large ship. It appears that with the Celebrity itinerary at no time is there really an opportunity to actually set foot on Antarctica, unlike the smaller exploration-oriented cruises that utilize the zodiac crafts to go ashore. So if anyone has any insight into this, I'd greatly appreciate it. It looks like a nice cruise, but it seems the emphasis is more on South America than Antarctica.

Thanks,

Keith

You are correct -- large cruise ships, like the Infinity, cannot land passengers on Antarctica. If you actually want to set foot on the Continent, and enjoy everything else amazing that goes with that, you'll need to take a small-ship expedition. We were extremely fortunate to have been able to do so earlier this year (aboard the Nat Geo Explorer), and I can tell you it was THE trip of a lifetime. Every moment was beyond extraordinary. (NLH Arizona gives a good sense of this above.)

For anyone interested in learning more about this, I have a very detailed blog that chronicles our journey (with lots of photos), here:

http://antarcticjourney.wordpress.com/

Adeliemarch1024x678_zps8ba4e0ef.jpg

Gentoosgreettheship1024x768_zps7fc3fea1.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06

You are correct -- large cruise ships, like the Infinity, cannot land passengers on Antarctica. If you actually want to set foot on the Continent, and enjoy everything else amazing that goes with that, you'll need to take a small-ship expedition. We were extremely fortunate to have been able to do so earlier this year (aboard the Nat Geo Explorer), and I can tell you it was THE trip of a lifetime. Every moment was beyond extraordinary. (NLH Arizona gives a good sense of this above.)

For anyone interested in learning more about this, I have a very detailed blog that chronicles our journey (with lots of photos), here:

http://antarcticjourney.wordpress.com/

[/url]

I loved your pictures and your blog (I read it when you posted it on the other thread), it brought back a lot of memories of my trip. Even though I did this trip (and many others )with Abercrombie and Kent, I've been on a number of Lindblad's trips as well, they are a great company.

Edited by NLH Arizona

My partner and I did the Celebrity Infinity cruise from Buenos Aires on the 17th of February this year. It was fantastic. Ushuaia and the Falklands were a highlight but the main attraction of Antartica didn't disapoint. The trip was a great way to start our around the world trip.

Regards,

Hasa4fun

I have sailed this itinerary several times; not on Celebrity but on other ships of varying sizes. It is not necessary to set foot on Antarctica unless this is some type of Bucket requirement.

We sailed off Antarctica for a couple of days and it was truly amazing. We have sailed to a lot of places but this was one of the best experiences.

The ports are terrific and I highly recommend this type of cruise.

As to weather, you just don't know and the same is true about the seas. I have sailed this area numerous times and experienced a range of weather. Could be very cold but could be not as cold. You just never know. Key is to layer your clothing.

Keith

We went on the Hurtigruten Fram 14 nights out of Ushuaia. Made 10 of our projected 12 landings. Fantastic! We went very early in season (November) and even then it really wasn't that cold (usually only a few degrees from freezing) - but the winds could be pretty fierce and biting.

If you are able to do an expedition with landings, I HIGHLY recommend it. It is expensive relative to a "cruise-by", not doubt about that. If you are unable to get in and out of the landing rafts (and there were a few people on our cruise that couldn't) you are paying a lot of money to watch from the ship.

Doing a cruise-by versus expedition landings is pretty much like watching a movie about sex versus actually participating. It's your choice as to which you prefer.:rolleyes:

Thom

The day we were in Paradise Bay on board the Infinity, it was 9 degrees F but dry. One stood outside until you were chilled and went inside for a few minutes. They gave out blankets and offered hot chocolate. We did the trip carrying layered clothing, no heavy parkas.

It was outstanding!!

I have sailed this itinerary several times; not on Celebrity but on other ships of varying sizes. It is not necessary to set foot on Antarctica unless this is some type of Bucket requirement.

We sailed off Antarctica for a couple of days and it was truly amazing. We have sailed to a lot of places but this was one of the best experiences.

Keith

Well, when you put it this way, it's "not necessary" to engage in vacation travel at all. We all engage in discretionary travel for our own personal reasons, presumably for many of us to see and experience new and amazing things. I actually hate the term "bucket list," and, for me, an expedition to Antarctica was not about "bagging" a continent or checking something off a list, but about having the incomparable experience that we in fact had there. It's much more than just "setting foot" on a piece of land. Would a "drive by" cruise be wonderful? I'm sure it would be; what we could see just from the ship was great. But would an expedition be totally different? Without question. It's not about one or the other being "necessary."

You can enjoy the splendor of the Grand Canyon by standing on one of the rims, and millions do each year. But do you get to experience something amazingly more and different when you hike to the bottom and spend a night or two down at Phantom Ranch, and then hike out under your own power? Absolutely. And neither trip is "necessary."

Well, when you put it this way, it's "not necessary" to engage in vacation travel at all. We all engage in discretionary travel for our own personal reasons, presumably for many of us to see and experience new and amazing things. I actually hate the term "bucket list," and, for me, an expedition to Antarctica was not about "bagging" a continent or checking something off a list, but about having the incomparable experience that we in fact had there. It's much more than just "setting foot" on a piece of land. Would a "drive by" cruise be wonderful? I'm sure it would be; what we could see just from the ship was great. But would an expedition be totally different? Without question. It's not about one or the other being "necessary."

You can enjoy the splendor of the Grand Canyon by standing on one of the rims, and millions do each year. But do you get to experience something amazingly more and different when you hike to the bottom and spend a night or two down at Phantom Ranch, and then hike out under your own power? Absolutely. And neither trip is "necessary."

Totally, totally agree.

There is simply no comparison of a drive-by to a trip with landings. We did this in 2012 with Ponant and although their prices have since increased, we paid less than what we would pay for a drive-by in 2014 or 2015. And that was with 11 landings in 6 days on the continent. I would never commit to a drive-by until I thoroughly exhausted all options for a landing expedition.

In over 50 cruises and dozens of land trips, whenever anyone asks us "what was your favorite trip?" there never is hesitation on our answer. Antarctica.

We went on the Hurtigruten Fram 14 nights out of Ushuaia. Made 10 of our projected 12 landings. Fantastic! We went very early in season (November) and even then it really wasn't that cold (usually only a few degrees from freezing) - but the winds could be pretty fierce and biting.

If you are able to do an expedition with landings, I HIGHLY recommend it. It is expensive relative to a "cruise-by", not doubt about that. If you are unable to get in and out of the landing rafts (and there were a few people on our cruise that couldn't) you are paying a lot of money to watch from the ship.

Doing a cruise-by versus expedition landings is pretty much like watching a movie about sex versus actually participating. It's your choice as to which you prefer.:rolleyes:

Thom

We also went with Hurtigruten. Amazing. Between a cruise ship and an expedition ship in size, with many advantages over both.

You have to search inside yourself when you are looking at this type of trip; either traditional cruise ship or expedition ship, no one can tell you which way is best, they can only tell you about their experiences.

If you are satisfied to just watch the fantastic scenery go by, then a traditional cruise ship might be the way to go. If you are like me and want to experience everything, then an expedition ship is the way to go. If I just sat by, I would have never played with a baby panda in China, sat with the gorillas in Uganda, sat with penguins in Antartica or cruised down 2,010 miles of the Amazon, just to name a few of the aventures I've taken.

Only you know what type of traveler you are. Do your research, ask questions and then make the decision that will most fit the type of experience you will want.

For us it is a matter of what my wife is comfortable with and how much we are prepared to spend for the privilege of going to Antarctica. My wife prefers 5 star comfort rather than an expedition and doesn't want to walk on ice, where as I prefer to keep her happy and the budget in the black (expeditions tend to be 3-4 times the price).:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Here is my review of our Antarctica adventure on the Infinity 2010. The drive by was exciting enough for us , lol. I must admit I was humbled by the forces of nature and abrupt weather changes possible in this region.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1146082&highlight=antarctica+review

Hi,

Thanks,

Keith

Personal preference...we did the Celebrity Infinity last Feb 2 and it was an unforgettable experience . After walking through all the penguin colonies in Ushuaia and Volunteer Point in the Falklands (an absolute must) we don't feel we missed anything by not landing on the ice. Two days of cruising Paradise Bay, Drake passage and Cape Horn were great.

Volunteer Point in the Falklands with Patrick Watts a must. Check him out on Trip Advisor and Nat Geo. We had to book him 18 months ahead of time and were on a waiting list for a short time before being confirmed. Better and cheaper than the ship tours.

Good luck..you will love the experience either way.

Here is my review of our Antarctica adventure on the Infinity 2010. The drive by was exciting enough for us , lol. I must admit I was humbled by the forces of nature and abrupt weather changes possible in this region.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1146082&highlight=antarctica+review

A wonderful review.:D

We did the trip on the Infinity a few years back, and the weather was not kind. The Decks and Pools were closed most of the trip, and the routing was changed. We bypassed the Falklands altogether (which was to be my highlight). I understand only 50% of ships get into the Falklands. Still the penguins in Ushaia were a unforgettable highlight.