Goodbye Carnival Fantasy?

Justyman87

Charleston needs to think long and hard before they commit millions into building a new terminal. Carnival has proven to be fickle and less than reliable when it comes to commitments to homeports.

Dont think they are being fickle but business is a business.

If they cant get the level of revenue out of a port they need to earn a reasonable profit, they willl look for one that can give them a better return.

OK, so I just looked at both ships wikipedia pages and it says "In 2016 the Carnival Fantasy will leave the Carnival fleet and transfer to Iberocruceros as the Grand Fantasy after the brand new Carnival Vista Visits and in service."

and "In 2016 Carnival Splendor will assume all of the Carnival Fantasy's cruises when the Carnival Fantasy will leave the fleet and transfer to Iberocruceros as the Grand Fantasy after the brand new Carnival Vista Visits and in service."

So take it for what it's worth.

I don't think the Fantasy will be transferred to Ibero cruises because it would be too much capacity for them to absorb, and since the cruise line relys heavily on sourcing passengers from Spain, it would be very difficult to do so with the economic problems they are having as of late.

In addition, the Fantasy class has continued to be the cornerstone of the entire Carnival fleet and remains extremely popular and profitable. I dont see this happening for at least 4-5 years.

Regarding the Carnival Splendor/Costa Hermosa situation, this is the first time I have heard about this and this too sounds highly unlikely for numerous reasons.

I don't think the Fantasy will be transferred to Ibero cruises...

In addition, the Fantasy class has continued to be the cornerstone of the entire Carnival fleet and remains extremely popular and profitable. I dont see this happening for at least 4-5 years.

By 2016, the Fantasy will be older than the Holiday, Jubilee and Celebration were when Carnival sold them.

The Fantasy class ships may be profitable and a sentimental favorite for many. But they are old, and increasingly outdated. If Carnival wants to keep themselves relevant and competitive, they will need to phase out the Fantasy class whether they like it or not.

And about Charleston, getting rid of the Fantasy and bringing a more modern, larger ship may be the bump that I need to sail from there.

By 2016, the Fantasy will be older than the Holiday, Jubilee and Celebration were when Carnival sold them.

The Fantasy class ships may be profitable and a sentimental favorite for many. But they are old, and increasingly outdated. If Carnival wants to keep themselves relevant and competitive, they will need to phase out the Fantasy class whether they like it or not.

And about Charleston, getting rid of the Fantasy and bringing a more modern, larger ship may be the bump that I need to sail from there.

The bottom line is that Ibero wont be able to absorb all of that capacity, therefore I don't think Fantasy will be transferred to them or at all. I think the Fantasy will be in the fleet for at least another 5 (possibly more) years because there is not a very robust used ship market.

I read on a website where people sell ships that a Fantasy-class ship that carries 2052 people (Fantasy carries that much, but the Sensation, Ecstasy and Fascination carry 2056) and it was for sale. I hope they don't sell Fantasy, because she seems like a great ship with great prices. We would attack it, but it's a 9 hour drive and we usually don't drive ourselves to a cruise port that far away. Hope she stays through 2015 because I will try to get her in April or something.

Well, happy cruising to everyone.

Great points! I could see Vista replacing Fantasy in the CCL fleet, not necessarily to the same homeport though. Although the new ship could be the crowning jewel of a Charleston terminal build and agreement with the city.

And, it could make sense that they'd sell Fantasy rather than transfer to IberoCruises. Maybe IberoCruises would be a considered as a "last resort" if it doesn't sell. But that could be expensive as the ship would have to be retrofitted as were the Holiday class ships when they went over to IberoCruises.

Also, one may wonder if they'll start transitioning all of the Fantasy class ships out of the fleet? I don't recall any new builds announced yet post-Vista.

Edited by The4Cruisers

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I just saw that Wikipedia had the Fantasy listed as for sale as well, and was wondering if it was true. I live in Charleston, and the Ecstasy has already replaced her here. The Sunshine is set to start doing periodic cruises from Charleston beginning in October, I believe. It's kinda sad about the Fantasy. I know she's out of date and quickly becoming obsolete, but the she was the first ship I sailed on.

Edited by Hoot51

I just saw that Wikipedia had the Fantasy listed as for sale as well, and was wondering if it was true. I live in Charleston, and the Ecstasy has already replaced her here. The Sunshine is set to start doing periodic cruises from Charleston beginning in October, I believe. It's kinda sad about the Fantasy. I know she's out of date and quickly becoming obsolete, but the she was the first ship I sailed on.

They are selling cruises on her out of Mobile through at least Apr 2019 so I can't imagine they would be getting rid of her before then. And as far as old and out of date, I think she is in better shape and more updated than either Elation or Paradise which are both 8 years newer.

I definitely agree she is more updated than Elation or Paradise. I was disappointed to learn that Paradise had not yet been given 2.0 upgrades. I'm feeling a little apprehensive about sailing on Paradise, she does not generally receive a lot of positive reviews, at least on these forums. If I had a choice I would have definitely sailed Fantasy over Paradise. Hopefully, Carnival keeps her in their fleet a few more years!

Don’t think it will happen so soon. The Carnival type I just don’t think is right for Asia.

If Carnival did start sailing in Asia they probably would want to attract locals and re-fit and re-staff the ship(s) accordingly.

Edited by cruise pup

I definitely agree she is more updated than Elation or Paradise. I was disappointed to learn that Paradise had not yet been given 2.0 upgrades. I'm feeling a little apprehensive about sailing on Paradise, she does not generally receive a lot of positive reviews, at least on these forums. If I had a choice I would have definitely sailed Fantasy over Paradise. Hopefully, Carnival keeps her in their fleet a few more years!

My fiance and I sailed on the Paradise in May 2016 and had a blast. All of the staff were amazing, the food was great (besides the buffet), loved the serenity in the back of the ship, and we had Calvyn as CD (he's now an ED elsewhere) and he was so much fun! The love & marriage show was hilarious and we loved the Rock show we saw (don't remember the name). I would gladly sail Paradise again if the price was right.