Cancelled flight when flying in business class.

sverigecruiser

We will fly to New York late Januari next year and hopefully we will fly in Club World with British Airways. If our flight should be cancelled because of bad weather and all flights the following days are full, will they let us fly on the first possible flight (even if it's full) if we agree to downgrade?

We don't like to pay for Club World and fly in World Traveller but rather that then miss our cruise!

We will fly to New York late Januari next year and hopefully we will fly in Club World with British Airways. If our flight should be cancelled because of bad weather and all flights the following days are full, will they let us fly on the first possible flight (even if it's full) if we agree to downgrade?

We don't like to pay for Club World and fly in World Traveller but rather that then miss our cruise!

I think they would try and send you on the next avaiable flight regardless of the airline (especially if a code share flight)

Being in Business Class won't put you at the top of a list. You'll get on the first available flight that has space for you, not necessarily the next flight. Everyone else on your flight has the same problem, so you won't be treated any differently, unless perhaps you have elite status with the airline.

If there is a weather issue, it isn't just your airline that's going to be affected, so all the other flights are going to have the same problem of how to get all their passengers on other flights. Asking to be put on the next flight out on any airline because you are in Business Class isn't gonna happen...

They will put you on the first available plane, either their own or a partner's. If business class were sold out (highly unlikely) they would probably put you in first class rather than downgrade you.

That is not what usually happens. They will try to get you on the next flight with business available, but if it's not, you may be sitting in economy. You aren't getting a free upgrade to first. And if flights are canceled due to weather, it's very likely business class on other flights to your destination will be full.

Your frequent flyer status with an airline counts for a lot more than your ticket class when they try and rebook you.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

I agree with the last two posts. And, IME, if you accept a seat in economy because you don't want to wait for an open seat in business, you will be owed no compensation for the downgrade (at least on UA).

Although of course, you can always ask for it.

That is not what usually happens. They will try to get you on the next flight with business available, but if it's not, you may be sitting in economy. You aren't getting a free upgrade to first. And if flights are canceled due to weather, it's very likely business class on other flights to your destination will be full.

Your frequent flyer status with an airline counts for a lot more than your ticket class when they try and rebook you.

I agree that the frequent flyer status counts for more than the ticket class but most people in economy have the lowest frequent flyer status anyway so that really doesn't matter much, I think. (If lots of people flying economy had higher frequent flyer status the lounges should be packed and they aren't.)

I agree that the frequent flyer status counts for more than the ticket class but most people in economy have the lowest frequent flyer status anyway so that really doesn't matter much, I think. (If lots of people flying economy had higher frequent flyer status the lounges should be packed and they aren't.)

Please tell me what lounges you are visiting! :)

When I go to most lounges, they are packed to the gills of loud, obnoxious business(wo)men. Sometimes they are so obnoxious that I would rather find an empty gate area than stay in the lounge.

As the others said, you'll get the next available seat. If they have a business seat, you'll get that, but most likely not. That happened to me from Dallas to Tucson on American. I sent in a credit request because of the downgrade and got about a $93 credit for another flight. It wasn't enough to make up the difference, but it wasn't worth fighting about especially since I had paid for the cancelled flight with points.

As the others said, you'll get the next available seat. If they have a business seat, you'll get that, but most likely not. That happened to me from Dallas to Tucson on American. I sent in a credit request because of the downgrade and got about a $93 credit for another flight. It wasn't enough to make up the difference, but it wasn't worth fighting about especially since I had paid for the cancelled flight with points.

BIG difference in the amount of first seating on Dallas to Tucson and an international flight with BA in Club.

And I'm with Gardyloo on getting upgraded to first from a business class seat. If there are irrops, very, very often they will move coach to business if there are seats available and business to first. And with BA being a 4 class flight, there may be a lot of "upgrades" just to accommodate people.

AA, Etihad and BA have all put me in first when I only had a business class ticket and there was a need for seats due to irrops. Sure, my status probably had something to do with it when they have to CHOOSE who to move forward. But on a flight where first only has a couple of passengers, PAID business class will move forward according to fare code, then top status FF. Then it becomes a lottery.

Happened with DH, myself and FIL coming back from Alaska on AA in first. Earlier flight was severely delayed, so to accommodate those passengers there were only 2 out of 3 FC seats available for us. I let DH sit up front with FIL. Darn, was that flight crowded in the back of the plane.

The chances of having to downgrade on an international flight, UNLESS the airport is completely shut down for some reason, are pretty slim. They will keep moving everyone forward until there are no more seats.

BIG difference in the amount of first seating on Dallas to Tucson and an international flight with BA in Club.

And I'm with Gardyloo on getting upgraded to first from a business class seat. If there are irrops, very, very often they will move coach to business if there are seats available and business to first. And with BA being a 4 class flight, there may be a lot of "upgrades" just to accommodate people.

AA, Etihad and BA have all put me in first when I only had a business class ticket and there was a need for seats due to irrops. Sure, my status probably had something to do with it when they have to CHOOSE who to move forward. But on a flight where first only has a couple of passengers, PAID business class will move forward according to fare code, then top status FF. Then it becomes a lottery.

Happened with DH, myself and FIL coming back from Alaska on AA in first. Earlier flight was severely delayed, so to accommodate those passengers there were only 2 out of 3 FC seats available for us. I let DH sit up front with FIL. Darn, was that flight crowded in the back of the plane.

The chances of having to downgrade on an international flight, UNLESS the airport is completely shut down for some reason, are pretty slim. They will keep moving everyone forward until there are no more seats.

No kidding, there is no first class from Dallas to Tucson, only business class and economy. They had to put passengers from three flights into one due to weather cancellations and I was lucky to get an economy seat on the last flight out that night five hours after my original flight.

No kidding, there is no first class from Dallas to Tucson, only business class and economy. They had to put passengers from three flights into one due to weather cancellations and I was lucky to get an economy seat on the last flight out that night five hours after my original flight.

Just for clarification, there are very few domestic US flights with "business class seating" - that's generally the terminology used for the middle cabin on a 3-class (first, business, economy) flight and those are generally only flown between BOS/NYC and LAX/SFO/SEA.

A flight between Dallas and Tuscon would likely only have a First and Economy cabin.

This strange terminology choice by US carriers causes a lot of confusion for folks as "Domestic First" is often basically the same as "Premium Economy" (not AA/DL/UA's Main Cabin Extra/Economy Comfort/Economy Plus but rather like BA's World Traveler Plus) in terms of seat comfort and quality. Domestic First seats are generally not lie-flats (although 3-Class First between BOS/NYC and LAX/SFO/SEA may be).

Sorry, but many two-cabin flights in America have the front cabin designated as "Business". This is usually because a) it is a flight number continuation of an international flight. Change of gauge to a smaller aircraft, but same flight number, or b) the flight connects to international traffic, so to cater to corporate accounting types, they make the front cabin "business". An example are DL flights into JFK which time to connect to TATL wide-bodies.

So you will find "Business" offered within the US, even on two cabin acft.

Sorry, but many two-cabin flights in America have the front cabin designated as "Business". This is usually because a) it is a flight number continuation of an international flight. Change of gauge to a smaller aircraft, but same flight number, or b) the flight connects to international traffic, so to cater to corporate accounting types, they make the front cabin "business". An example are DL flights into JFK which time to connect to TATL wide-bodies.

This is true for many reasons but not the least is the fact that many companies will pay for business class but not first class.

You also see the same differences when flying from Canada. Air Canada offers Economy and Business. On a few three cabin international aircraft you have Economy, Premium Economy and Business. When Air Canada codeshares with United:

Economy (AC) = Economy or Economy Plus (United)

Premium Economy (AC) = not offered

North American Business (AC) = First (United)

International Business (AC) = Business (United)

All of that said. First Class on Domestic US Flights tends to have a better seat that Economy but the inflight service is not that good to what you have in Business in the rest of the world.

Edited by em-sk

(Not) to quibble but ”many” does not mean most. 1,000 flights out of 100,000 operated may be ”many” but is still infrequent. In the same vein, perhaps I should have used ”a small percentage” instead of ”very few”.

Furthermore, DFW - TUS is not full of HVFs. AA does not operate 3-class A321s, 762s, 772s, or 77W's on that route and likely never will. Yes, cabins may be coded as ”Business” for sale purposes but rarely do you board a domestic US flight and not have the FAs working the cabin on a 2-class flight call it ”First”. DL and US call their domestic 2-class front cabins ”First” despite not offering First internationally.

PennyAgain - you are right for international travel but most domestic routes do not have.business class for sale. That being said, a majority of US companies will only pay for Economy for domestic travel anyway so the branding of the front-cabin doesn't matter.

Fun times with all of us FFs and FTs :)

Edited by thechicagoans

Please tell me what lounges you are visiting! :)

When I go to most lounges, they are packed to the gills of loud, obnoxious business(wo)men. Sometimes they are so obnoxious that I would rather find an empty gate area than stay in the lounge.

The Galleries lounges on Heathrow. Since I only fly with British Airways if that option is available I always connect through Heathrow and I have never experienced a packed lounge there.

I agree with the last two posts. And, IME, if you accept a seat in economy because you don't want to wait for an open seat in business, you will be owed no compensation for the downgrade (at least on UA).

Although of course, you can always ask for it.

Since the OP is flying BA, they would be eligible to receive EU mandated downgrade compensation if they don't fly business class.

Over the Christmas rush the busiest airport in Canada, Pearson was pounded by the weather as were many of the major airports along the east coast of the US. In some cases the next available flight was 4 days down the road. Weather is one of those things that the airlines are not responsible for other than to offer you your money back or a re booking. In this case there were no economy seats to down grade to.

I fly business class a fair bit nationally and internationally. 2-3 years ago when the economy tanked and corporations were looking everywhere to trim the bottom line the front of the plane was deserted and there were a lot of "expensive suits" sitting in economy class . With the rebound of the North American economy business class is back in style and far fuller than it was. Such is my observation anyway.

Since the OP is flying BA, they would be eligible to receive EU mandated downgrade compensation if they don't fly business class.

I have never heared about that compansation and I'm not sure that I think it's a good thing! If they have to compensate me if I'm downgraded, the chance to get a seat is lower and they might prefer to let me wait a few days instead of getting me to New York as soon as possible!

I don't want to pay for Club World and fly in World Traveller but rather that than missing my cruise!

Us Airways calls it first. Not sure what the merger will bring, but I think it will remain first.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

:confused:

So not true! My husband and are are both United 1ks (he's a million miler) and I can assure you that we and other high status flyers are usually in economy (unless we get free upgrades).

And you don't get free lounge access (at least not on UA) based on your FF status. The lounges are often packed anyway!

So not true! My husband and are are both United 1ks (he's a million miler) and I can assure you that we and other high status flyers are usually in economy (unless we get free upgrades).

And you don't get free lounge access (at least not on UA) based on your FF status. The lounges are often packed anyway!

On US you get a free lounge membership at a ridiculously high number of miles flown per year. I was top tier elite a couple years back and still didn't have enough BIS miles or segments for that perk. I got a discount in the membership, but that was all.

I'm flying on a FF ticket in April, it was only 10K more miles r/to for first than economy MCO>LAX>MCO. I would have been a fool to not upgrade at that "price."

It's pretty rare for top tier elites to not be upgraded on US. Silver and gold, not as much. The later into the year, the harder the upgrades get as more and more qualify.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Edited by ducklite

You used to get lounge access if you were at least a *Gold if you were on an international flight at your gateway city. Has that changed?

And you don't get free lounge access (at least not on UA) based on your FF status.

Not necessarily true. On Delta, top tier frequent flyers (Diamond medallion members) are granted complimentary membership into the DL Sky Club, granting them access regardless of the cabin booked. And elite+ frequent flyers (Gold and platinum, in addition to diamond) traveling in coach internationally are granted complimentary club access as well.