Specialty Restaurants CLOSED for a month after drydock

I disagree with the objections of the OP, and those that feel he or she is "owed" something. First of all, we are talking about pay venues. If they're not open, you won't be charged for a meal you won't have. So, to say something is owed is a bit shortsighted.

But it doesn't really matter. Because on two threads, where I have disagreed with people this morning, my posts have been deleted. I guess there is no room for differing opinions on Cruise Critic. This is getting very frustrating.:mad:

I humbly disagree that the cruise doesn't 'owe' the OP anything. They owe what is advertised, there is no question of entitlement. BTW you do pay extra for the speciality restaurants so you're not expecting them as part of your standard offerings in the cruise fare.

So imagine this scenario. You are a first time cruiser and look online for a cruise on 5th Feb on Navigator. You are not a member of CC, so you don't know Navigator is in dry dock having revitalization. There is nothing obvious when you search for a sailing on Navigator.

Now please, I said obvious, so don't go digging on the RCI website and show me some info that is not clearly visible when booking the Navigator cruise.

You look at the advertised 'added extras', and specifically speciality dining. As you can see a Mexican and Italian are mentioned.

11981988244_f64f999c47_c.jpg

Then you look at the Ship Details and look at the 'Featured Ship Amenities' and see this

11982072604_770ba10438_c.jpg

So you think 'oh what's Chops Grille and Portofino?', thinking one could be the Mexican mentioned above, so you check out the ship detail from the RCI website and you see this

11981771805_33935e7e51_c.jpg

Oh, now I understand what Chops Grille and Portofino are. Fine dining venues. What about the Mexican?

mmm, OK let me look at the deck plans.

So you look at the deck plans which are dated 05-Feb-2014 to 05-Apr-2015

and you see this on deck 4

11982489904_835b0e333d_c.jpg

Ah, so the Mexican restaurant mentioned above is on deck 4 'Sabor Modern Mexican'. Cool.

You continue viewing the deck plans and you see on deck 14

11982811324_4ca0711b87_c.jpg

So now you have discovered what the Mexican and Italian restaurants are and also found a steak house and 'Izumi' a Japanese venue, that's a bonus, 4 great restaurants. Woo hoo, you like the sound of that, so you proceed to select a cabin and book.

Nowhere during the booking process (which at this late stage means you pay in full) does it mention that some of the facilities may not be available due to revitalization.

So you pay in full and you think you're all set to enjoy a Mexican, Italian, Japanese and Steak house on your cruise.

Only you go and try to book online to find that not only is the only option available Chops Grille, but the Italian is not available either, as it's now called Giovanni's Table, but you don't know it's a totally new restaurant concept, as far as you know it could just be a change of name. Neither are Sabor or Izumi available.

So wouldn't you be a little disappointed with the way RCI have advertised this cruise and the facilities that made you choose this sailing and have now paid in full?

OK, so you think 'I'll wait until I'm on board to book the Mexican and Italian'.

Imagine your disappointment when you board to find that the only speciality restaurant available is Chops Grille.

I'd feel annoyed, I know I'm not necessarily 'entitled' so don't think I have a sense of 'entitlement' but boy would I be dismayed and as a first time cruiser, this experience could have a negative influence on my decision to sail RCI in the future as I may think I can't trust what they advertise is what I'm going to be able to experience.

Interesting hypothetical situation...but totally irrelevant to the OP. They clearly state they know it is the first sailing after dry-dock. Apparently they are "a sophisticated buyer". That makes a huge difference.

I don't think it's about being "entitled", it's more about getting what was advertised. You pay in good faith, so you expect the same in return.

Exactly. And it being a pay item, as someone else eluded to, makes no difference. If all the bars were closed, there would be a problem. If all the shops were closed, there would be a problem. To many, if the spa was closed, there would be a problem. Some of us look forward to the specialty restaurants and if I booked a cruise that has all these venues advertised and they were closed, I would not be happy. It''s not about entitlement and people need to get off that horse. Obvioulsy, this means a lot to the OP, so to respond to him with these insults is a little bizarre.

As I always told my kids "Show me on your birth certificate where is says life will be fair."

Sorry, that doesn't apply here. If you go on a cruise and the weather is bad, that is a case of life not being fair.

But if you purchase a specific cruise on a specific ship based on what is advertised then the company should make a reasonable effort to supply that. I know that stuff does happen that causes changes in offerings but this doesn't sound like something unexpected. This sounds like a planned non-opening. The cruise line knew that these facilities were not going to be available on that cruise and yet they advertised that they were. I think OP has reason to be upset.

Interesting hypothetical situation...but totally irrelevant to the OP. They clearly state they know it is the first sailing after dry-dock. Apparently they are "a sophisticated buyer". That makes a huge difference.
I consider myself a 'sophisticated buyer' as I've cruised a few times, but I'd still expect the advertised venues to be available after dry dock.

There's more a chance of someone like me making Guest Services and then Mr Goldstein aware of my feelings than a first time cruiser.

Makes me wonder about our upcoming Adventure TA which is the 3rd sailing after her supposed 'revitalization' and is 14 nights and only has 1 speciality restaurant anyway (Portofino supposedly changing to Giovanni's Table). I will be very miffed if things are not available on this sailing as we've paid a lot for a GS as it's a special occasion.

Excellent post PeteUkmcr. I'm disappointed they will be closed and we don't even use them. We booked thinking it was cool to be first to see all the upgrades we would have available. I will not book this soon after dry dock again and they shouldn't advertise it till it's there.

Edited by stewpapa

I

But it doesn't really matter. Because on two threads, where I have disagreed with people this morning, my posts have been deleted. I guess there is no room for differing opinions on Cruise Critic. This is getting very frustrating.:mad:

Your posts were/are not deleted because you of the fact you disagree it is the rude manner in which you disagree. My guess is that there will a rude response to this post so have at it.

I also agree... Excellent post PeteUkmcr

Yesterday I gave up and phoned C&A, and I was transferred to a department called "On-Board Dining" which I assume is in the corporate office.

I was told by a Supervisor in that department the reason I can't make reservations for Giovanni's, Isumi or Sabor online is that they aren't scheduled to open until the first sailing in March!

You have to consider another possibility is that the person you spoke with has no clue what they are talking about. Although you may not be able to make reservations prior to sailing, it is entirely possible that these venues could be open on your sailing.

If you ask ten different people at RCI the same question, you might get twenty different answers! :)

I am a frequent cruiser, D+ as a matter of fact, and I think one of the reasons RCI adds new features is to encourage frequent cruisers to book the same ship more than once. I might specifically book a cruise right after drydock just because I expect things will be "spiffed up" and I look forward to being among the first to sample the changes.

Even as a longtime cruiser and "sophisticated buyer," I would not automatically assume that because something is new will mean it's closed! I'll be patient if logistics aren't perfect and there are some glitches, but I won't be happy if I don't even get to walk through the doors of any of four new restaurants that are clearly advertised on the company's own website. It has nothing to do with feeling "entitled" to anything--it's about being offered four choices and then not allowed to select any of them, even when I'm prepared to pay extra to use them.

When more cabins are added to a ship, you can be sure they don't wait four sailings before they sell them...just to be sure everything works!

Just spent over 30 minutes on the phone with RCCL's Customer Service, C&A and a Supervisor in Resolutions.

Specific to my NOS 3/30/14 what I have been told today is

• that RCCL does not intend to have 75% of it's specialty dining restaurants closed and not producing revenue.
  • that the Dining Department has not loaded the information onto the website for Izumi, Giovanni's Table and Sabor Modern Mexican for the February & March sailings directly following the dry dock.
  • that the fact that on-line reservations cannot currently be made is in no way an indication that the restaurants will be closed .
  • that I should continue to frequently check RCCL'S website as all this information should be post soon.
  • that I will be able to make on-line reservations prior to the actual cruise date.

Edited by xxoocruiser

The cruise after a dry dock is a crap shoot at best. Our one and only cruise immediately following a dry dock didn't have full use of the pool until half way into the cruise, no internet the whole cruise, we missed half our ports and the three we got to (10 day cruise) we got there late because the new engines needed a "breaking in period" and couldn't go to top speeds. The dry dock was 3 weeks so the crew were in various states of just coming on duty or just returning from long vacations....they got their acts together after about 5 days. Carpeting was still be laid throughout the ship, along with that burning chemical and glue smells. They replaced the underside of all the decking around the pool so covered pool seating was unavailable the whole cruise. There were other issues to boot! Oh yeah, they gave us $100 per cabin for our inconvenience! I would never cruise after a dry dock again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Margie, as usual, speaketh truth. I would always prefer to book a month or so after a new launch or especially a refurb.

History on these boards always warns of this.:D

jc

I booked this cruise (first one after dry dock) not knowing what changes were in store and not knowing how risky it was to sail on a "not so" completed ship.... I got a GREAT price, but the prices have gone up to DOUBLE what I paid for our cabin.... It's the same or more than a 7 day cruise... that said, I think I'd be really upset if ALL of the offerings on the ship were not in working order at time of sailing.

I am not gonna be upset...although I really wanted to try Sabor.... because I didn't pay a lot for our cabin & I REALLY wanted to do a short cruise.... So, I'll cope...but I'd imagine there will be A LOT of others not so happy come sail time, if these venues aren't open & the ship isn't operating fully. No where has it ever said "these venues, pools, etc "MAY NOT" be open for your sailing".

Not stating this risk is false advertising.....

Oh well...what will be, will be. I'm going on the cruise I wanted to go on & I'm gonna be happy.... (that is IF it actually does sail on Feb 5th! HA HA):eek:

Edited by SRV FAN

You have to consider another possibility is that the person you spoke with has no clue what they are talking about. Although you may not be able to make reservations prior to sailing, it is entirely possible that these venues could be open on your sailing.

If you ask ten different people at RCI the same question, you might get twenty different answers! :)

Excellent point and very helpful post.

Just spent over 30 minutes on the phone with RCCL's Customer Service, C&A and a Supervisor in Resolutions.

Specific to my NOS 3/30/14 what I have been told today is

• that RCCL does not intend to have 75% of it's specialty dining restaurants closed and not producing revenue.
  • that the Dining Department has not loaded the information onto the website for Izumi, Giovanni's Table and Sabor Modern Mexican for the February & March sailings directly following the dry dock.
  • that the fact that on-line reservations cannot currently be made is in no way an indication that the restaurants will be closed .
  • that I should continue to frequently check RCCL'S website as all this information should be post soon.
  • that I will be able to make on-line reservations prior to the actual cruise date.

Well! There ya have it! A whole bunch of people all in an uproar over nothing! I believe this post is correct!

Talk to two different people & get two different answers EVERYTIME. :D

I completely agree that the more often you call RCI, the more different answers you'll get...and then it's another scenario entirely once you're on board.

The only thing that worries me is the supervisor who I spoke with said none of the new specialty restaurants will open until the first week of March. That would confirm the conversation the previous poster had, since he/she was referring to the March 30 cruise.

Oh well, time will tell...and I will report back after my cruise!

I feel the OPs frustration I know I would be frustrated as well. We have made it a practice never go on a brand new ship until it is broken in, never go on a ship that is going into dry dock or just coming out..To many things can happen or in the OPs case not happen. It is disappointing.

I sympathize with your frustration, but "not fair"? If you sailed before the drydock, you would not have had Izumi, Sabor or Giovanni's Table.

Explorer only has Portofino.

Voyager only has Portofino.

Adventure only has Portofino.

Enchantment only has Chops.

Enjoy Chops.

:)

Well said .................

Lessons learned with any cruise line is don't believe everything they tell you until it actually happens no matter how far up the ladder you go. As someone else said, they may be not open for on-line reservations but open for service. That said, I don't take RCI to task for too many things but I agree that if they're advertising the restaurants then it is false advertising. We seasoned cruisers and CC members tend to take a buyer beware attitude when booking post drydock cruises but it's unfair to those not in the know. Worst of all, it's pretty 'pathetic' to call people 'pathetic' just because you don't agree with them. Have a great cruise.

I booked this cruise (first one after dry dock) not knowing what changes were in store and not knowing how risky it was to sail on a "not so" completed ship.... I got a GREAT price, but the prices have gone up to DOUBLE what I paid for our cabin.... It's the same or more than a 7 day cruise... that said, I think I'd be really upset if ALL of the offerings on the ship were not in working order at time of sailing.

I am not gonna be upset...although I really wanted to try Sabor.... because I didn't pay a lot for our cabin & I REALLY wanted to do a short cruise.... So, I'll cope...but I'd imagine there will be A LOT of others not so happy come sail time, if these venues aren't open & the ship isn't operating fully. No where has it ever said "these venues, pools, etc "MAY NOT" be open for your sailing".

Not stating this risk is false advertising.....

Oh well...what will be, will be. I'm going on the cruise I wanted to go on & I'm gonna be happy.... (that is IF it actually does sail on Feb 5th! HA HA):eek:

I am one of those who paid a significantly higher amount for this cruise than I did for my 6 and 7 day cruises later in the year. I know that me and my husband will have a wonderful time but I am worried about our good friends that we are bringing with us. First I had to break the news about the Dungeon then the sin tax. I just want them to enjoy their first cruise as much as we enjoyed ours and to have some cruise buddies. I am hoping for the best!:)

I hope nothing is closed for my oasis cruise after dry dock.

Looks like you're on the transatlantic immediately after drydock. I would be SHOCKED if there weren't a number of venues not operating. It is typical for a ship to not be at 100% immediately following drydock. No reason to think Oasis is any different.

I would also be irritated if Chops was the only specialty dining available, but I really think having them all closed until March is probably the worst-case scenario. The restaurants may not become available to book on-line, but Royal Caribbean wants them open ASAP when they're ready. FWIW, the only restaurant currently available on-line for my cruise is Chops, and I'm not sailing until April.

I sympathize with your frustration, but "not fair"? If you sailed before the drydock, you would not have had Izumi, Sabor or Giovanni's Table.

Explorer only has Portofino.

Voyager only has Portofino.

Adventure only has Portofino.

Enchantment only has Chops.

Enjoy Chops.

:)

I agree that customers should have been made aware at time of booking that these facilities would not be available.

We booked this cruise a long time ago, not aware of the dry dock the month before. However, once we were made aware of the new restaurants, we began planning for them, only to find out we may only get Chops? Sorry, it's not right, and Royal made no attempt to let us know, which they could have done before final payment.

Carol, we booked Navigator with the expectation of 2 restaurants, and I hope we are pleasantly surprised to see all of the new ones up and running. If not -- :(