What constitutes a "good solo rate"?

Travelin_Teacher0710

Hi All!

I just booked my 1st solo cruise(4th overall cruise) on the Carnival Victory in October 2014. It is my 30th birthday present to myself! I'm usually pretty good at getting/finding deals but this trip has got me thinking about what makes a "good deal" in this mysterious world of Solo Cruising... :confused:

I once saw a solo cruiser on here say that he always tries to sail for an overall cost of around $100/day or like $110/day and anything more than that is ridiculous. I'm paying like $134/day for my solo cruise... should I feel like I've been sold a lemon, or feel like I got a good deal? (For the record, my deposit was discounted by $300 and I got a free room upgrade from the bottom of the boat to deck 8 so that's why I felt like I got a 'good deal')

Happy Planning & Smooth Sailing

Hi All!

I just booked my 1st solo cruise(4th overall cruise) on the Carnival Victory in October 2014. It is my 30th birthday present to myself! I'm usually pretty good at getting/finding deals but this trip has got me thinking about what makes a "good deal" in this mysterious world of Solo Cruising... :confused:

I once saw a solo cruiser on here say that he always tries to sail for an overall cost of around $100/day or like $110/day and anything more than that is ridiculous. I'm paying like $134/day for my solo cruise... should I feel like I've been sold a lemon, or feel like I got a good deal? (For the record, my deposit was discounted by $300 and I got a free room upgrade from the bottom of the boat to deck 8 so that's why I felt like I got a 'good deal')

Cost per day will depend cruise line and type of Canada.

Hi All!

Cost per day would depend on what you're buying for that money - and that depends on what you want and what it popular (popular items are typically priced lower because volume makes up the difference).

To me, a good solo rate is measured as a small percentage supplement, so that I don't feel I'm getting charged too much extra above what my non-solo fellow passengers are paying. That sense of fairness is important to me, but others might only focus on the final amount.

As for cost per day, I think my last cruise was just under $300 a day......still cheaper than I would otherwise spend on a luxury seaside hotel room with wonderful food and drinks for those days. I think some nights I ate $75+ in dinner alone (if I compare it to restaurants on land).

$134/day is a great deal! My personal guideline has been to get under $180/night for a balcony, booked at least 6 months in advance.

That being said, for my next cruise, I took advantage of a Carnival deal that happened just after final payment for a 5-day out of Galveston - balcony for $94/night. I doubt I'll find a deal that good again.

Using a per-day price is a good place to work from, but remember, it's not what others find or consider good, it's what you find that works for you and your budget. My $94/nt cruise wouldn't be a deal for me if I had to fly to get to it. ;)

$134/day is a great deal! My personal guideline has been to get under $180/night for a balcony, booked at least 6 months in advance.

That being said, for my next cruise, I took advantage of a Carnival deal that happened just after final payment for a 5-day out of Galveston - balcony for $94/night. I doubt I'll find a deal that good again.

Using a per-day price is a good place to work from, but remember, it's not what others find or consider good, it's what you find that works for you and your budget. My $94/nt cruise wouldn't be a deal for me if I had to fly to get to it. ;)

I'd consider $134/day a good deal. I'm booked on a 4-day Princess cruise (Interior cabin - Guarantee) that is $143/day including taxes. I don't look at what the single supplement is since I can't do anything about it anyway. I just look at total price.

I think $143 is a good deal for me although I rarely book inside cabins. I haven't had one in ages. I'm going to be in the Fort Lauderdale area, so my airfare isn't adding $$ to this particular cruise.

On this trip, I was able to get a 4star hotel for $146/night - before taxes - which is a sweet price for February in South Florida. Keep in mind, that besides taxes, while I'm at the hotel, I need a rental car and meals and entertainment will be added on to the $146. Plus, on the cruise, that beautiful ship is going to take me to the Caribbean for a few days. It all sounds wonderful. If I hadn't seen how this cruise is priced, I'd probably have just flown back home without getting to see the beautiful blue Caribbean water.

What is considered a good solo rate? That would be a different answer

for each of us. Well, for some of us anyway. As for the person who

told you it is "ridiculous to pay over 100.00 day"?.....I totally disagree

with that reply.

If you find a cruise with an itinerary you love, and it is within your

budget and it is more than 100 day? Who is anyone to say that it

is ridiculous?:eek: It is your money and if it is something you want to do?

Go for it.:) 134.00? Nothing wrong with that at all.......and I hope

you have a wonderful cruise:D

Hi All!

Congratulations on booking your first solo. All of my cruises have been solo and I have enjoyed them all, so I think you will have a great time. I don't really look to see what the daily rate is or what percentage the solo fare is above the double rate when I book a cruise. As others have mentioned it can vary a great deal from cruise line to cruise line. What I look at is the overall cost of the cruise itself and if I like the itinerary and the price is something that I am comfortable with, then I go ahead and book the trip.

I have seen some cruises that have no single supplement or a low single supplement be quite a bit more expensive than a cruise on a different line with a similar itinerary and a 200% supplement. I enjoy going to different places so when I travel it is more about the itinerary than it is about the ship or cruise line. I usually travel off season rather than peak season so I have found some very good fares even for a solo cruise. Happy Sailing.

Cost per day would depend on what you're buying for that money - and that depends on what you want and what it popular (popular items are typically priced lower because volume makes up the difference).

To me, a good solo rate is measured as a small percentage supplement, so that I don't feel I'm getting charged too much extra above what my non-solo fellow passengers are paying. That sense of fairness is important to me, but others might only focus on the final amount.

As for cost per day, I think my last cruise was just under $300 a day......still cheaper than I would otherwise spend on a luxury seaside hotel room with wonderful food and drinks for those days. I think some nights I ate $75+ in dinner alone (if I compare it to restaurants on land).

I have to agree. A good solo rate is no more than about 17% on lines/ships that don't cater to solos. I add the "catering" part because I really like the NCL studios and lounge. I use NCL as my "fall back" line. So, I'm trying a RCCL studio in Feb. and when I couldn't get a good solo rate for Easter break, I booked the new NCL Getaway (a little bored with Epic). Two summers ago, I snagged a RCCL med cruise for $799 for 12 days, which had a 17% supplement. That's just how I roll!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think also you have to look at the total cost of the whole trip as well including any necessary airport/hotels etc..

My Epic base rate for a Studio was $749 ($999 with insurance,fees), but the total cost of the whole trip (flight, all transportation, 2 nights in Miami etc..,excursions,on board costs ) came to $2,475 (included $150 for next cruise certificate)

My Breakaway rate for a Studio was $999 ($1,230 total with insurance and fees), added Balcony upgrade for $105 and total cost of trip (bus to NYC, one night hotel, shows, movies) was around $2,090.

I felt the $1,100 was a steal; but that does not factor in the additional insurance,port charges and the $250 deposit that was nested as a $150 expense in my Epic Cruise.

I am either doing the Breakaway again or Getaway next; but estimate my Getaway costs at around $2,700 or so + an additional 2 vacation days (I insist on going 2 days before) vs a repeat of the Breakaway that would probably be around $1,950-$2,000 (no Broadway show in NYC and lower port fees)

At this point I am using $250-$275 as an overall average for the entire trip including advance night(s) in a hotel.

Hi All!

The only "good deal" that matters is the one you're comfortable with. We all have different tastes and budgets. I personally have no desire to do any of the 4-5 day cruises that many times are vaunted as being great solo deals. That doesn't mean that they aren't a good option for someone else. Book what you can afford and pay no mind to anyone else's guidelines. ;)

Tony

Howard , you upgraded from a studio to a balcony solo for $105? How'd you do that?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

A week before the sailing there was a huge price drop and the balcony was only $105 more than what I paid for the Studio- a few people on here had paid more for the studios and ended up with an even swap!

I am considering just reserving the same week again off from work this year and taking my chances for last minute.

A week before the sailing there was a huge price drop and the balcony was only $105 more than what I paid for the Studio- a few people on here had paid more for the studios and ended up with an even swap!

I am considering just reserving the same week again off from work this year and taking my chances for last minute.

So you just watch and then call them? Sorry for being so stupid...this just seems incredible!

Hi All!

I agree with others..a good solo deal is what you can afford. I don't look at supplements.

I also want to point out, that being upgraded to deck 8 may not be a good upgrade for some. You might want to take a look at the deck plan. Depending on where your cabin is, you may be below the buffet and pool deck. Some have complained about the noise.

And a lot prefer the lower decks, since it usually has less movement than upper decks.

I don't look at the solo supplement much. If it's a cruise that I want to do, I'll do it AS LONG AS I can do it for $100 a night or under. I have cruised solo for zero supplement, $30 more, 125%, 150%, 168% and most of the time it's 200%.....but always under $100 a night....(for the cruise part....if I have to fly, it depends)

• 2 weeks later...

booking "last minute" can really help. if they've got lots of empty cabins, they often would rather have one than no passenger. i'm thinking about a cruise in two weeks--yeah, two weeks--that appears to have NO single supplement. it seems they'll rent me the cabin solo at the double occupancy per person price--not for the better cabins, and maybe i'll listen to loungers scraping all day or the boom pf bass from one of the clubs, but still ...

Hi All,

I am just wondering if all of the excellent single supplements were for a Med cruise? In what I have seen, if the cruise price is good the airfare is really high.

I have been looking and have not found a good cruise price with a decent airfare.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!!! :D

Hi All,

I am just wondering if all of the excellent single supplements were for a Med cruise? In what I have seen, if the cruise price is good the airfare is really high.

I have been looking and have not found a good cruise price with a decent airfare.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!!! :D

For Med cruises I would check out the cruise line airfares, as I have found some good fares with them for Europe. I usually book my own air, but going to Europe it has been hard to find a fare that beat the cruise air offered by the line.

I agree that a low supplement is key for me, too. On RCCL, it's about 17%. I got that on a Mediterranean cruise and more recently, on my Carribean cruise.

But, I'm willing to pay the 50% supplement on NCCL's newer ships like the Epic, Getaway and Breakaway because NCCL has the whole package: great rooms, a studio lounge for meeting dinner companions, and a dedicated solo cruise director.