What's your favorite specialty restaurant??

gratamama

This is our first RC cruise, and even on our two CC cruises, there were no specialty restaurants.

What's not to miss? We live in Chicago and have access to truly great cuisine of all types. That said, DH loves steak, but we're also adventurous!

Navigator will have Chops, Sabor, Giovanni's and Izumi.

Oh, and we have a 9-year-old. Kids club for this one, yes?

thanks!

Giovanni's, Chops, and Izumi are all awesome. depends on what you're in the mood for. What is Sabor?

I believe Sabor is a new Mexican restaurant that is being installed on Navigator as we speak.

Chops hands down, even on the Oasis class ships.

It's been a 10 out of 10 at every meal. I have nothing bad to say and we've eaten at every Chops if the ship has one. LOL...

I'm getting hungry just thinking about those mouth watering steaks! OMGosh!

:D

is it good to not go on a formal night? We have ports on full day 3,4 and 5. Thinking formal night would be full day 1 and 6?

Generally Formal Night will be day 2 (first full day) especially if it's an "at sea day." The second Formal Night is usually day 6 (second to last day of cruise). Day 1 is embarkation day and day 7 is the last day on the ship.

Generally Formal Night is the best menu in the MDR. Usually second Formal Night is lobster night. We usually ask our waiter which is the least favorite menu and go on that night. But really any night at Chops (my favorite) is great. You also might want to consider Giovanni's for lunch. It's a bit cheaper and very nice. Personally the last night is my least favorite MDR menu. But we always go to the MDR to say goodbye to the waiters. That is the day we'll usually go to Giovanni's for lunch, and then just have a smaller dinner.

And IMO, it was not a good switch. :(

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. I know that Giovanni's Table is really quite popular (even DH liked it, and he tends to be a bit pickier when it comes to specialty restaurants), but I still like Portofino more.

I'm glad that Freedom of the Seas still has Portofino for our next cruise on her in October so I can get at least one more Tartufo al Cioccolato. :)

And IMO, it was not a good switch. :(

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. I know that Giovanni's Table is really quite popular (even DH liked it, and he tends to be a bit pickier when it comes to specialty restaurants), but I still like Portofino more.

I'm glad that Freedom of the Seas still has Portofino for our next cruise on her in October so I can get at least one more Tartufo al Cioccolato. :)

Will be trying Giovanni's on our next but Portofino was our favorite. We'll see. I haven't heard anyone claim it's better than Portofino.

Our best dining experience has always been in Portofinos and will miss not being able to enjoy her on the Nav

Made sure we got our Porto fix on the Liberty;)

But of the restaurants that will be on the Nav

don't know Sabor yet since it is new but underwhelmed by the menu

So I will have to go with Chops. Wonder if they do the flaming crème brulee:D

I loved Giovanni's on Allure so much that we ate there 2 times in one week.

I've had good meals in Chops on Allure and Navigator. The absolutely worst specialty restaurant meal I've ever had was in Chops on Liberty of the Seas...the braised beef rib was so tough it was inedible, and they substituted broccoli for brocolini without any mention that they had run out of brocollini.

Izumi is good but nothing special.

Chops, try the oysters, the filet mignon and either the brulee or choc mud cake - it takes like peanut butter.... also if you dine there make sure you ask for all the vegetable sides.

I will admit that I never memorized the Chops menu BUT....

I do not remember oysters being on the menu.

The Mud Pie does NOT taste like peanut butter. Not sure where your opinion on that comes from. If you mean that it has a texture almost like peanut butter, I could understand that.

Would you choose Chops over 150 Central Park? We plan to celebrate our 30th at one of these.:D

I wouldn't! I've been to Chops twice and I thought it was okay. Honestly, I've had better steak on land. 150 Central Park was different and I enjoyed the tasting menu. If it was my 30th or any special occasion, I would vote 150 Central.