Trouble for Capt. on WC

ZSandy25

Just read the Captain's blog for 2-1-14 and it seems he is defusing the situation in a very diplomatic fashion...as he should. Privacy issues deem that the response he posted is the best and only comment he could and should give. Very nicely handled by him, I am impressed.

Edited by RAJKR74

I think that details are generic enough that the privacy of this man is intact. We have no idea of his name, nationality or any other identifying features except a vague description.

Yes, thankfully, details are generic and no one knows who he is, but if he was my brother i would recognize the description. Having a brother with mental health issues, I guess I am just sensitive. My brother will never be on a cruise ship, but my heart goes out to those who deal with this issue.

Debbie

Just trying to visualize how they will convince him to leave the ship and then how he will actually, physically be removed.

From my reading of the various posts, I got the sense that the man was planning to disembark in Sydney anyway, and unless something more extreme happened, that was still going to be the port of disembarkation for him.

[quote name='dfish']Actually, I am sorry that this was ever made public. This man is definitely suffering from some problem and needs to be dealt with, but I think of this: If this was your father, brother or son, would you want it to be discussed on an internet forum?

I hope he gets the help he needs and is not just left behind somewhere.

Debbie[/QUOTE]

We think publicizing this is a very good thing. The reason is that we have seen another situation (on HAL) involving an older senior who also had obvious mental health and physical issues. What we saw was even sadder then what is described here (I will not repeat the details). But the worst part was that this man's family had basically sent him away on a long cruise with a paid "companion" who had little interest in taking good care of his charge. A conversation with the "caregiver" informed us that this older guy was essentially "farmed out" by his family so that he was somebody else's problem. Folks with severe mental health issues need constant care and attention...not shipped out to a cruise ship.

Hank

[quote name='Wakepatrol']Can someone post the cabin #.

I don't want to ever get the cabin that never got cleaned on a world voyage.:eek:

I'd rather be without A/C[/quote]

Try to be realistic.

What about the cabin you had where someone threw up, or worse?

What about the bed you slept in where someone died?

I don't want to ever get the cabin that never got cleaned on a world voyage.:eek:

I'd rather be without A/C[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]No one is going to post the cabin number.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]You can be certain that once the gentleman leaves the ship -- it will be thoroughly cleaned. I imagine that they will even get new mattresses in there. Curtains, etc. can be washed and if too ruined, will be replaced. Even furniture if need be.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Hlitner']We think publicizing this is a very good thing. The reason is that we have seen another situation (on HAL) involving an older senior who also had obvious mental health and physical issues. What we saw was even sadder then what is described here (I will not repeat the details). But the worst part was that this man's family had basically sent him away on a long cruise with a paid "companion" who had little interest in taking good care of his charge. A conversation with the "caregiver" informed us that this older guy was essentially "farmed out" by his family so that he was somebody else's problem. Folks with severe mental health issues need constant care and attention...not shipped out to a cruise ship.

Hank[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]That is so sad.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Thank you for the story.[/SIZE][/FONT]

I'd rather be without A/C[/QUOTE]

The Upgrade Fairy- who sees all- is reserving it just for [B][SIZE="5"]YOU[/SIZE][/B] on your next cruise. :D

[quote name='TiogaCruiser']The Upgrade Fairy- who sees all- is reserving it just for [B][SIZE=5]YOU[/SIZE][/B] on your next cruise. :D[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Now that really[I] did[/I] make me LOL!:D:D[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Chris999999']Try to be realistic.

What about the cabin you had where someone threw up, or worse?

What about the bed you slept in where someone died?[/quote]

I see this is your very first post
Welcome to cruise critic Edited by Wakepatrol

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Someone mentioned that this gentleman was scheduled to leave the ship in Sydney.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Since I don't know the itinerary, does anyone know how many days till they get there?[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Amsterdam arrives in Sydney on February 11th.

[SIZE="3"]I agree and applaud the Captain for giving an accurate/realistic representation of life aboard the WC. [/SIZE][quote name='Hlitner']We think publicizing this is a very good thing. The reason is that we have seen another situation (on HAL) involving an older senior who also had obvious mental health and physical issues. What we saw was even sadder then what is described here (I will not repeat the details). But the worst part was that this man's family had basically sent him away on a long cruise with a paid "companion" who had little interest in taking good care of his charge. A conversation with the "caregiver" informed us that this older guy was essentially "farmed out" by his family so that he was somebody else's problem. Folks with severe mental health issues need constant care and attention...not shipped out to a cruise ship.

Hank[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Hlitner']We think publicizing this is a very good thing. The reason is that we have seen another situation (on HAL) involving an older senior who also had obvious mental health and physical issues. What we saw was even sadder then what is described here (I will not repeat the details). But the worst part was that this man's family had basically sent him away on a long cruise with a paid "companion" who had little interest in taking good care of his charge. A conversation with the "caregiver" informed us that this older guy was essentially "farmed out" by his family so that he was somebody else's problem. Folks with severe mental health issues need constant care and attention...not shipped out to a cruise ship.

Hank[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]That is incredibly sad, but while the family is totally at fault, the caregiver was probably well-paid to take care of the poor guy - and didn't.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='startwin'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]That is incredibly sad, but while the family is totally at fault, the caregiver was probably well-paid to take care of the poor guy - and didn't.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

That is presupposing the man has a family and/or a caregiver.
Terri Edited by Cruzin Terri

[quote name='Cruzin Terri']That is presupposing the man has a family and/or a caregiver.
Terri[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]The quoted post referred to both "family" and a "paid companion".[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Captain Mercer is a fine man. I would not mind meeting him socially. However I would want to meet with him to address menacing staff and guests. This might not be a pleasant meeting. Have no fears, Captain Mercer can deal with the situation