A cheap and effective NORO prevention ideas

djjoe

We just returned yesterday from the Allure. The extensive CNN coverage of the Explorer hits close to home as we live in NJ and have sailed out of Bayonne many times and plan to continue. RC seems to have no problem in wasting huge amounts of paper to print such things as art auction info, diamond sales, port shopping guides, future cruise info, and two cruise compasses per room. Why not print a one time use "throw away" paper menu to be used in the MDR. The entire meal including classics and desserts would use one sheet of paper. It's a confirmed fact in the food service industry that the menu is the dirtiest item the restaurant that everyone touches, meal after meal. Think about it, cruise after cruise, the same dirty sticky menu. Royal Caribbean please read this.

OP, a simple and practical idea. I like it.

As far as people washing after touching the regular menus; traffic and logistical nightmare.

It's no more a traffic and logistical nightmare than doing so after touching handrails or elevator buttons on the way to the MDR or using the tongs in the Windjammer.

The only way to prevent noro on any cruise ship is to refuse boarding to sick people.

I agree, the problem is that its too hard to weed out those that are sick.

I think it would need to be a more positive program, where full credit would be given to those refused boarding, and trip expenses reimbursed. Only then will people volunteer to stay off the ship. Expensive, but cheap compared to a full-blown noro outbreak.

The only way to prevent noro on any cruise ship is to refuse boarding to sick people.

If I remember correctly the cruise line makes passengers sign a form declaring they are not sick and well enough to travel. They should enforce that with obvious sick people.

The problem for the cruise industry is that many people who catch a virus don't display any symptoms in the first day or two. So unless they start doing blood tests I don't think they can avoid boarding sick people.

I agree, the problem is that its too hard to weed out those that are sick.

I think it would need to be a more positive program, where full credit would be given to those refused boarding, and trip expenses reimbursed. Only then will people volunteer to stay off the ship. Expensive, but cheap compared to a full-blown noro outbreak.

I think it's cheaper for the cruise line to take the temporary PR hit than to allow full refunds.

We are all the perfect example how it's okay for the cruise line to take a PR hit with an on board virus while we all countdown to our next cruise.

. . . Why not print a one time use "throw away" paper menu to be used in the MDR. The entire meal including classics and desserts would use one sheet of paper. It's a confirmed fact in the food service industry that the menu is the dirtiest item the restaurant that everyone touches, meal after meal. . .

Not a bad idea.

But let's take some responsibility ourselves. As others have said, the best protection is fequent and effective [you know the whole "ABC's" thing] handwashing. Like Porsche -- there is no substitute. Hand sanatizer may help -- a little -- but it is largely ineffective against noro and is at best a weak second line of defense.

As far as the "don't board sick people" suggestion, maybe a good idea in theory -- but as others have said, you cannot always tell. The passenger might not even know yet. If you do get sick, report yourself and honor the quarantine rules.

Edited by mjldvlks

We just returned yesterday from the Allure. The extensive CNN coverage of the Explorer hits close to home as we live in NJ and have sailed out of Bayonne many times and plan to continue. RC seems to have no problem in wasting huge amounts of paper to print such things as art auction info, diamond sales, port shopping guides, future cruise info, and two cruise compasses per room. Why not print a one time use "throw away" paper menu to be used in the MDR. The entire meal including classics and desserts would use one sheet of paper. It's a confirmed fact in the food service industry that the menu is the dirtiest item the restaurant that everyone touches, meal after meal. Think about it, cruise after cruise, the same dirty sticky menu. Royal Caribbean please read this.

That's a good idea actually. I was kind of wondering if they could have a computer screen or a large size tablet permanently mounted on each MDR table that displayed the menu but I think your idea is much more practical. I've been toying with the idea of looking at the menu outside the MDR, making a mental note of what I want and then ordering without the need for a menu.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

That's a good idea actually. I was kind of wondering if they could have a computer screen or a large size tablet permanently mounted on each MDR table that displayed the menu but I think your idea is much more practical. I've been toying with the idea of looking at the menu outside the MDR, making a mental note of what I want and then ordering without the need for a menu.

In reference to another poster - have never had a "sticky" dirty menu in the MDR. By the crowds around the menu board and all the inquiries on CC I think most people know what they are going to order before they get to the DR so for those you fear touching the menu it would be easy to know ahead of time what you are ordering and not take a menu.

Do you have something to confirm this as "fact"?.....The reason I ask is because on our last cruise was in the MDR to change seating location and witnessed three waiters cleaning a pile of a hundred or so menus with disinfectant.....K.O.

With so many people having tablets/phones with them at all times, I think in the future ships will have a free LAN (local area network - not an internet connection, just a ship-wide connection) that people can connect to with their own devices. The "home page" of the LAN could list current/upcoming activities/events and important notices (as well as marketing - sale starting in x place in 10 minutes!), and could have links to opening hours of various venues, the menus for that day, etc.

Having the menus on tablets/phones would allow users to skip the printed menus and use their own devices (cutting down on cross contamination), and also give spectacle-wearers the option to increase the text size to suit themselves.

The LAN could also allow for instant messenger style communications between friends while on the ship - download an app, sign-up, and give people your username if you want them to be able to contact you.

On another line a cruise we were on had an outbreak of noro. A lot of changes covered. Menus were wiped down prior to being handed out. Salt and pepper shakers, butter plates etc were all removed from tables. Tongs were not out on the buffet and all servers had disposable gloves on. Luckily we didn't get it. But we also were very active hand washers and sanitizer.

I am always so disgusted by passengers who leave the restroom without washing their hands.

The problem for the cruise industry is that many people who catch a virus don't display any symptoms in the first day or two. So unless they start doing blood tests I don't think they can avoid boarding sick people.

Very true. Noro can be in a person's stool 48 hrs before the person begins showing symptoms so it's impossible to know. We can board today feeling fine and tomorrow wake up with full blown Noro.

I agree with the OP about the paper menus. I would love to go "paperless" because other than the cruise compass I don't even look at all of the other stuff that's left every day.

Hand sanatizer may help -- a little -- but it is largely ineffective against noro and is at best a weak second line of defense.

Is this accurate? I understand that washing frequently and correctly is the best option and I do a good job at that. However, I was thinking of bringing some of the pocket size sanitizers just for the occasional, in between wash sanitizing. But if it really doesn't provide much benefit then it would just be a waste of time and money.

This theory would also makes the ships hand sanitizers obsolete too but I am thinking they must believe it has some benefit, or are they just trying to trick us into thinking it does? Maybe it doesn't help against Noro but something else? Even though Noro is the one that really matters, especially on cruises.

Anyway, I am not a medical expert so if there is anyone who is, shed some light on this for us please.

Wash your hands, I can promise you at least 20% of the people reading this dont always wash their hands... Yes it sucks and takes up time but its alot better than getting sick.

somethings I do Ive posted it before I always wash my hands, I have smal pocket sized hand sanitizer from bath and body works.. and I wipe down my room remote and door handles with some clorex wipes... Keep your hands away from touching your face or mouth...

That is what I try to do and of course I realize its hard to do the no touching your mouth thing but if your hands are clean then it shouldnt be a problem

Do you have something to confirm this as "fact"?.....The reason I ask is because on our last cruise was in the MDR to change seating location and witnessed three waiters cleaning a pile of a hundred or so menus with disinfectant.....K.O.

I posted a link just the other day about how germ ridden restaurant menus are...wiping them down with disinfectant will help but there is no way to know this is done after every seating.

If you do an internet search about the "dirtiest things in restaurants" the stories will come up. Menus have 100 times more germs than the toilet seat...gross but true according to the results of the studies done.

Is this accurate? I understand that washing frequently and correctly is the best option and I do a good job at that. However' date=' I was thinking of bringing some of the pocket size sanitizers just for the occasional, in between wash sanitizing. But if it really doesn't provide much benefit then it would just be a waste of time and money.

This theory would also makes the ships hand sanitizers obsolete too but I am thinking they must believe it has some benefit, or are they just trying to trick us into thinking it does? Maybe it doesn't help against Noro but something else? Even though Noro is the one that really matters, especially on cruises.

Anyway, I am not a medical expert so if there is anyone who is, shed some light on this for us please.[/quote']

If you read the CDC Noro page it states that sanitizers are fine IN ADDITION to hand washing but yes it's true they don't kill Noro virus.

Hand washing doesn't kill it either but what it does do is wash the Noro virus down the drain which is why a full 30 seconds of briskly rubbing hands together with soap and hot water is necessary.

Those hand sanitizers we see everywhere nowadays (even on the alter of my church) do help kill many different germs just not the Noro virus.

With so many people having tablets/phones with them at all times, I think in the future ships will have a free LAN (local area network - not an internet connection, just a ship-wide connection) that people can connect to with their own devices. The "home page" of the LAN could list current/upcoming activities/events and important notices (as well as marketing - sale starting in x place in 10 minutes!), and could have links to opening hours of various venues, the menus for that day, etc.

Having the menus on tablets/phones would allow users to skip the printed menus and use their own devices (cutting down on cross contamination), and also give spectacle-wearers the option to increase the text size to suit themselves.

The LAN could also allow for instant messenger style communications between friends while on the ship - download an app, sign-up, and give people your username if you want them to be able to contact you.