Jumped Ship Today 2/7/14...Maasdam to Noordam

innlady1

Cleve...I meant to say, we had two 14 day cruises on Maasdam...one in '11 and the other in '12. So I was comparing those experiences with this one...and definitely saw a difference. As did many on board who have cruised her in the past.

In all my cruises on HAL, I've never had reason to go to the Front Desk...and on that cruise, seems I was there two or three times a day! Certainly not about the lack of burgers or pizza, but about our broken phone, our lanai door that didn't work (for which we paid an $1,100 upsell)...and after 5 days, couldn't fix so we were moved to another...things that were not "typically Maasdam". I think the thing that bothered me the most was when I asked the crew at the gangway why no more lemonade or cold water upon return to the ship, another employee (one of the photographers as it turns out) stepped in and told me it was no longer allowed in US ports...we didn't have it in any of our ports. Noordam is still doing it...as did NA in the fall....

I have to say, I did enjoy the free laundry & pressing rthat we enjoyed for the 1st time...a huge plus.

I'll just say that, hopefully, some or most of the problems experienced can be chalked up to Maasdam being in dry dock just prior. We had a similarly bad experience on Celebrity Infinity on a post dry dock cruise that has still not left our minds, to the point that we will not ever again book a post dry dock cruise on any line.

I think cruise lines try to pack 10 pounds of stuff into a 5 pound sack when their ships go into dry dock, which is to say, 21 days of work into a 14 day dry dock. Not to mention crew changes, new management regimes, remaining crew not happy about not receiving tips during dry dock (yes, they get paid still, just don't receive tips as there are none being paid but nobody likes a "perceived" pay cut).

Again hopefully, the entire crew and any contractors still aboard are working a punch list of things left undone or uncompleted and things will be back to normal soon. It surely doesn't seem to be the best way of doing business but does seem to have become the normal way.

Sheila, thanks for your review and updates. Hope you thoroughly enjoy Noordam! :)

Edited by 0bnxshs

Noticed two bottles of wine on the liquor table when getting on the ship in Grand Turk today...and a sign. The sign stated that wine and champagne will be assessed the $18 corkage fee when bringing it on board...and they will be happy to store it for no charge until the end of the cruise....something along those times.

I took a photo of it and will try to figure out how to post it when I return home.

So...it appears the new policy is in effect.

Went to the wine tasting yesterday for the new Navigator package...the pricing seems to have been reduced and we were all given a new brochure with the wines available. I will buy a package tomorrow - I found one wine to my liking.

We tried the new Canaletto menu tonight...it was truly outstanding. A very pleasant surprise and a real improvement over the former menu (we had that on Maasdam last week). They gave me a copy of the menu that I will scan and post when I get home.

Thanks for your comments about the wine policy, and about Canaletto. We are looking forward to trying the new menu when we are on the Zuiderdam in April.

Really glad to hear that your Noordam sailing is going well! It would have really been a bummer to have two bad experiences back to back.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise! :)

Sheila -

Thank you so much for your posts. They're really helpful to us since we're on the February 28, 2014 sailing with the same itinerary.

How many formal nights are on your sailing? The HAL site says 2, but we've usually had 3 on a 10 day voyage.

Thanks again! :)

You are correct. We have 3 formal nights. One was the 2nd day when we were in HMC; the next will be tomorrow, a sea day. And the 3rd is on Day 9, I believe...another sea day.

On Maasdam, an 11 day cruise, we had only two.

Not sure the logic in that. 3 on a 10 day cruise...2 on an 11 day cruise!

You are correct. We have 3 formal nights. One was the 2nd day when we were in HMC; the next will be tomorrow, a sea day. And the 3rd is on Day 9, I believe...another sea day.

Thanks! You're the best.

Not sure the logic in that. 3 on a 10 day cruise...2 on an 11 day cruise!

Not sure of the logic of that also. I wonder if each ship's captain or HM make the decision.

Noticed two bottles of wine on the liquor table when getting on the ship in Grand Turk today...and a sign. The sign stated that wine and champagne will be assessed the $18 corkage fee when bringing it on board...and they will be happy to store it for no charge until the end of the cruise....something along those times.

I took a photo of it and will try to figure out how to post it when I return home.

So...it appears the new policy is in effect.

Went to the wine tasting yesterday for the new Navigator package...the pricing seems to have been reduced and we were all given a new brochure with the wines available. I will buy a package tomorrow - I found one wine to my liking.

We tried the new Canaletto menu tonight...it was truly outstanding. A very pleasant surprise and a real improvement over the former menu (we had that on Maasdam last week). They gave me a copy of the menu that I will scan and post when I get home.

Another new Canaletto menu? So no more small plate/large plate?

Edited by frankc98376

Thanks for the update. We're doing the 10 Day on the Noordam starting on Feb 28. Are you having 2 formal nights or 3?

DW has to update the packing list if it's three. Our documentation says two.

Enjoy your trip!

Count on two. Even if there are three, no one is going to remember what your DW wore on the first evening.

Count on two. Even if there are three, no one is going to remember what your DW wore on the first evening.

Clearly you don't know her. :D

We're close to the port, so it's not a big deal to take extra clothes. We try to view it as "lowering the cost per wearing."

Noordam is still the Terrace Grill and serving all the usual things. And, the pizza is excellent!

Just a tid bit for those of you who like Indonesia food. The Terrace Grill on NADM, in Dec 13/Jan 14, had the most extensive menu we've seen on HAL ships. Besides the usual burgers and hot dogs, they served turkey burgers, bratwurst, Dutch "Broodje kroket" and something known in Bahasa-Indonesia as Sate Ayam (skewered chicken in peanut sauce). Hope it'll spread to the Terrace Grills on the other ships!

Just a tid bit for those of you who like Indonesia food. The Terrace Grill on NADM, in Dec 13/Jan 14, had the most extensive menu we've seen on HAL ships. Besides the usual burgers and hot dogs, they served turkey burgers, bratwurst, Dutch "Broodje kroket" and something known in Bahasa-Indonesia as Sate Ayam (skewered chicken in peanut sauce). Hope it'll spread to the Terrace Grills on the other ships!

Do they still have frikandel? Or frikandel speciaal- MMMMM

Edited by frankc98376

You know, I didn't see those, but they would most definitely be an excellent addition! :)

Try the Rotterdam in Europe. There was a menu of all the Dutch food available at the Terrace Grill. A Dutch friend told me what to look for and I tried it all. Yum!

Also loved the day they served a whole Indonesian buffet there. Double yum!

Try the Rotterdam in Europe. There was a menu of all the Dutch food available at the Terrace Grill. A Dutch friend told me what to look for and I tried it all. Yum!

Also loved the day they served a whole Indonesian buffet there. Double yum!

They have "Dutch lunch" in the OB (Officers Bar) on the ships periodically. We're taking kroketten, frikandellen, bitterballen...........

We had the Dutch grill items on the Maasdam in 2012. We tried them all. They were quite delicious. We also had a really good Indian barbecue by the Lido pool one afternoon. The only disappointing culinary experience was (ironically) the American barbecue. We made a hasty retreat to our room., changed and went to dinner in the MDR.

We've been really pleased with the Dutch foods. Every once in a while we received the Dutch room service breakfast card. That was cool because the Dutch breakfast choices were better.

We had the Dutch grill items on the Maasdam in 2012. We tried them all. They were quite delicious. We also had a really good Indian barbecue by the Lido pool one afternoon. The only disappointing culinary experience was (ironically) the American barbecue. We made a hasty retreat to our room., changed and went to dinner in the MDR.

We've been really pleased with the Dutch foods. Every once in a while we received the Dutch room service breakfast card. That was cool because the Dutch breakfast choices were better.

Try the "Uitsmijter" (Dutch breakfast) in the PG next time

I was on the cruise before Sheila, and the 1/27 Maasdam cruise with her, and mostly agree with her assessments. The Terrace Grill WAS shut down for a few days, while renovations took place, re-opening as the "Dive In" with a shorter menu. They had to have a waiter outside the grill area writing down orders because folks had a hard time (reading then adjusting) to the menu changes. That said, the hamburgers and the "Dog Paddle (sauerkraut hot dog) were all delicious, once they re-opened. The Maasdam had the BEST french fries I've had on any ship, bar none. But fries don't make a good cruise, in and of themselves. And I did miss pizza.

Shelia didn't mention it, but NOT ONE Officer showed up for our Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. That's a first for me, most of the ships recognize the Cruise Critic community as an important cruise group. They did show up for the cruise before's meet and greet, but they were disengaged, and seemed to wish they were anywhere but there. Usually I get invited to a cocktail party or two, above and beyond the "required" collector's cruise party, that didn't happen either. I've never walked by Officers before without at least a smile or pleasantry, I swear they don't like having to deal with pax!

I came away thinking the Maasdam might be the punishment ship, at least for Officers. I never saw water or lemonade offered at any port, pool, or anywhere else, nor was a coffee cart rolled around the Lido pool to top off cups at breakfast time, although they still did that inside the lido restaurant proper. I had good room stewards and mostly good wait staff, but they clearly were overworked, so who can blame them when you never get your desired drinks with dinner, without feeling like a beast?

I was not impressed with the shows I managed to see, but we rarely got out of dinner on time, unless we chose to eat in the LIDO. A lot of time, I actually felt bored, since it seemed there weren't a lot of choices of different things to do or try. The Microsoft classes were always interesting, and I appreciate that they offer them. I did see lots of folks scurrying around trying to find working public toilets, and several elevators didn't work for the entire 21 days. The only reason I pay for internet is to read my emails, and that never did get resolved, so they finally refunded my money, but not without my persistence.

Interestingly, I was sitting at the airport with a couple that had just disembarked the Noordam and it sounded like they'd had a wonderful cruise, good Officers, good food, 3 excellent shows daily, pizza, regular movies, etc...So, sadly, I can only conclude that the ship is the problem. I've been on the Maasdam many times, but never again... and I think I will begin to make more effort to find out which Officers and HM will be aboard future cruises. I booked the Statendam for Hawaii/SP for next year, but after that, if the same sort of problems surface, I'll be done with Hal. This was the very first really negative review I've ever written on a ship, and I was aboard the Rotterdam, after it's drydock, and even then, I thought the staff was trying, just overwhelmed. This time, I didn't think anyone cared.

Hi Kathi,

Sorry to read about your experience on Maasdam. Last spring, I also found the officers to be very aloof and really not interested in the passengers. That was a first for us. All this bad publicity Maasdam is getting makes me sad, because she had been one of my two favorite ships.

We had a good cruise in Dec. 2013. Wow what a change since then. Major hitch I had was the internet connection, didn't go well at all. Oh ya, once had a problem getting a tender back in place. Just gave us a little extra viewing time in St. Barts.

I was on the cruise before Sheila, and the 1/27 Maasdam cruise with her, and mostly agree with her assessments. The Terrace Grill WAS shut down for a few days, while renovations took place, re-opening as the "Dive In" with a shorter menu. They had to have a waiter outside the grill area writing down orders because folks had a hard time (reading then adjusting) to the menu changes. That said, the hamburgers and the "Dog Paddle (sauerkraut hot dog) were all delicious, once they re-opened. The Maasdam had the BEST french fries I've had on any ship, bar none. But fries don't make a good cruise, in and of themselves. And I did miss pizza.

Shelia didn't mention it, but NOT ONE Officer showed up for our Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. That's a first for me, most of the ships recognize the Cruise Critic community as an important cruise group. They did show up for the cruise before's meet and greet, but they were disengaged, and seemed to wish they were anywhere but there. Usually I get invited to a cocktail party or two, above and beyond the "required" collector's cruise party, that didn't happen either. I've never walked by Officers before without at least a smile or pleasantry, I swear they don't like having to deal with pax!

I came away thinking the Maasdam might be the punishment ship, at least for Officers. I never saw water or lemonade offered at any port, pool, or anywhere else, nor was a coffee cart rolled around the Lido pool to top off cups at breakfast time, although they still did that inside the lido restaurant proper. I had good room stewards and mostly good wait staff, but they clearly were overworked, so who can blame them when you never get your desired drinks with dinner, without feeling like a beast?

I was not impressed with the shows I managed to see, but we rarely got out of dinner on time, unless we chose to eat in the LIDO. A lot of time, I actually felt bored, since it seemed there weren't a lot of choices of different things to do or try. The Microsoft classes were always interesting, and I appreciate that they offer them. I did see lots of folks scurrying around trying to find working public toilets, and several elevators didn't work for the entire 21 days. The only reason I pay for internet is to read my emails, and that never did get resolved, so they finally refunded my money, but not without my persistence.

Interestingly, I was sitting at the airport with a couple that had just disembarked the Noordam and it sounded like they'd had a wonderful cruise, good Officers, good food, 3 excellent shows daily, pizza, regular movies, etc...So, sadly, I can only conclude that the ship is the problem. I've been on the Maasdam many times, but never again... and I think I will begin to make more effort to find out which Officers and HM will be aboard future cruises. I booked the Statendam for Hawaii/SP for next year, but after that, if the same sort of problems surface, I'll be done with Hal. This was the very first really negative review I've ever written on a ship, and I was aboard the Rotterdam, after it's drydock, and even then, I thought the staff was trying, just overwhelmed. This time, I didn't think anyone cared.

Same here, Kathi. I have never complained before. Because I had no reason to do so. I so agree with you...this whole situation on Maasdam is very sad. The staff is indifferent and just seems to be going through the motions...and there in lies the problem, IMO.

I, too, will not book another cruise on her unless there are staff changes.

Seems to me, with the exception of Prinsendam and Amsterdam, the rest of the "top notch" staff are on Vista and Signature class ships. The remaining ships are being assigned the remaining staff.

We just did 11 days on the Maasdam in the Caribbean. And walked across the street to the Noordam today for another 10. Hoping for a better experience on the Noordam than we had on the Maasdam, sad to say.

This was our 3rd cruise on the Maasdam having done a 14 day cruise in January '11 and repeated that in January '12. We loved those cruises on Maasdam and expected the same this time...was not to be.

Internet time is precious here so I will just point out the highlights (or "low lights" as it is):

We had a lanai which we loved...it was actually the best thing about this cruise. However, the door would not unlock for us once we were out on the Promenade Deck so we had to come back into our cabin via the main doors! I complained every day...they couldn't fix it. So on Day 5, they moved us to another lanai. Whatever. :rolleyes:

My biggest complaint was there was no lemonade nor water upon return to the ship. At our next to last port, Martinique, I noticed the Noordam - in port with us - had the usual water and lemonade outside for returning guests. We had none. So next day in St. Croix, I asked an employee what was up with that. He told me that it is now outlawed in the US ports. OK. I asked why then did we NOT have it in any Caribbean ports...he didn't have an answer for that. I then mentioned that Noordam had it in Martinique...we did not. He just walked away because he knew I had nailed him. This is always something we've enjoyed in the very warm Caribbean...and to eliminate this is ridiculous.

Pizza is no longer offered on Maasdam. Mid cruise, they stopped offering hamburgers at the Lido Grill.

The towels were really dingy and gray. Bed linens the same.

Service was OK but nothing with the "wow" factor. For the 1st time in our 200+ days of cruising, we did not give extra tips. We, of course, left the 11.50 a day pp intact and that seemed adequate.

DH's beverage card never seemed to work, my room key kept failing, our room phone didn't work...a lot of glitches along the way.

Disappointing because we loved our two previous cruises on Maasdam and this really fell short.

The sad thing is that so many people said the same thing...last cruise on Maasdam unless the reports really improve.

The entertainment was the bright spot of the cruise...some wonderful shows.

Good move!