Back from the Zuiderdam

onthegogirl

Just returned from 10 days in the South Caribbean and Panama Canal. I had beed reading lots of negative posts so I viewed this cruise as an indication of whether I would look for another cruise line. I'm happy to say that I will sail with HAL again. Being on this ship reminded me why I stay loyal.

This is only the second time I have sailed on this class vessel, the other being the Oosterdam, and I really love the smaller ships but...........

I loved the Zuiderdam. It has the feel of a happy ship. Everyone smiles including the Officers (not always the case) the maintenance crews, and as almost always the waiters, bartenders, stewards and entertainers. The officers seem to respect and like each other. There does not seem to interdepartmental rivalry that I have noticed on some ships. I think this atmosphere starts with the Captain and I really appreciated it.

I found the public rooms beautifully maintained, the art exceptional and I especially liked the bonsais. I found interesting little touches like this all over the ship.

I didn't have a bad meal while on board. I admit I am not particularly picky but everything I ordered was well prepared and presented. My petit fillet in the Pinnacle was the best ever. My Pinnacle experiences are varied from quite wonderful as this was to disappointing. I did not particularly enjoy the Canneletto but then I live in an area with exceptional Italian restaurants.

I did find one area that need addressing and that is the pull out couch/beds need to be replaced. They take quite a beating, probably from kids that travel in Mom and Dad's cabin. In my first cabin, the couch was broken and the mattress protruded. Quite unsightly, so I showed a picture to the front desk and they moved me. Quick and painless and cheerfully done. Still the couch in the second cabin was frayed and scratched. Perhaps another fabric would wear better. The air conditioning in my cabin worked well. I have learned to carry a wrap with me as some areas of the ship can be frigid while others warm. This is not unique to the Zuiderdam.

I ponied up for the behind the scenes tour and to my mind it was a bargain. We visited the bridge, tailor shop, laundry, backstage, waste management area, the engine control room (my personal favorite), the provisions area and the main galley (everyone else's favorite). All the senior officers were generous with their time and patiently answerer our questions. For anyone who is interested in the inner working of a massive moving hotel, I highly recommend it.

I'm not much for nightlife but from what I heard, most people enjoyed what was offered. Hammish, the cruise director, had a great laugh and an irreverent sense of humor.

Those of us who have cruised a lot sometimes focus on small changes or disruptions and can be super critical. I met many first or second time cruisers and they couldn't have been more pleased with the cruise. They just sat back and enjoyed the ride.

Now, buried in snow, I can only dream about warm water and sunny skies.:)

Just returned from 10 days in the South Caribbean and Panama Canal. I had beed reading lots of negative posts so I viewed this cruise as an indication of whether I would look for another cruise line. I'm happy to say that I will sail with HAL again. Being on this ship reminded me why I stay loyal.

This is only the second time I have sailed on this class vessel, the other being the Oosterdam, and I really love the smaller ships but...........

I loved the Zuiderdam. It has the feel of a happy ship. Everyone smiles including the Officers (not always the case) the maintenance crews, and as almost always the waiters, bartenders, stewards and entertainers. The officers seem to respect and like each other. There does not seem to interdepartmental rivalry that I have noticed on some ships. I think this atmosphere starts with the Captain and I really appreciated it.

I found the public rooms beautifully maintained, the art exceptional and I especially liked the bonsais. I found interesting little touches like this all over the ship.

I didn't have a bad meal while on board. I admit I am not particularly picky but everything I ordered was well prepared and presented. My petit fillet in the Pinnacle was the best ever. My Pinnacle experiences are varied from quite wonderful as this was to disappointing. I did not particularly enjoy the Canneletto but then I live in an area with exceptional Italian restaurants.

I did find one area that need addressing and that is the pull out couch/beds need to be replaced. They take quite a beating, probably from kids that travel in Mom and Dad's cabin. In my first cabin, the couch was broken and the mattress protruded. Quite unsightly, so I showed a picture to the front desk and they moved me. Quick and painless and cheerfully done. Still the couch in the second cabin was frayed and scratched. Perhaps another fabric would wear better. The air conditioning in my cabin worked well. I have learned to carry a wrap with me as some areas of the ship can be frigid while others warm. This is not unique to the Zuiderdam.

I ponied up for the behind the scenes tour and to my mind it was a bargain. We visited the bridge, tailor shop, laundry, backstage, waste management area, the engine control room (my personal favorite), the provisions area and the main galley (everyone else's favorite). All the senior officers were generous with their time and patiently answerer our questions. For anyone who is interested in the inner working of a massive moving hotel, I highly recommend it.

I'm not much for nightlife but from what I heard, most people enjoyed what was offered. Hammish, the cruise director, had a great laugh and an irreverent sense of humor.

Those of us who have cruised a lot sometimes focus on small changes or disruptions and can be super critical. I met many first or second time cruisers and they couldn't have been more pleased with the cruise. They just sat back and enjoyed the ride.

Now, buried in snow, I can only dream about warm water and sunny skies.:)

Thank you so much for your report. We are sailing on the Z soon and it is good to hear that you had a great cruise.

We enjoyed your company last year on the Prinsendam and I remember you well. In fact, I think my husband probably remembers you very well. :D:D I still have a laugh over that.

When can you book the behind the scenes tour? Before boarding or after?

As Crew News said, you can book after boarding. My suggestion would be to book (at the front office) as soon as you have time after boarding. Sometimes it is popular and sells out, others time there is plenty of room. So that it doesn't get cancelled because of low interest, I would register ASAP so they know you want the tour. My DH thought it was a great tour. He spent two years on a Navy Aircraft Carrier and he said he learned and saw "ship things" that he didn't know about.

About what is the cost of the behind the scenes tour? Is it something our older grandchildren might enjoy -- 10-16?

Neither Bob nor I have ever done such a tour and our children certainly haven't.

Thanks experts.

Ruth

Around the $150 range if I remember correctly from 3 years ago.

Thank you for the report, Carole.

Am I correct that it's only the Vista/Signature ships that have the behind the scenes tour?

Roy

As of right now, that's correct Roy and the previous advise is a good one, reserve it at the FO as soon as possible when you embark due to limited space

Thanks Linda and Vern,

At that price it won't be an option for our family.

Ruth

My first time on the Zuiderdam was in June of 2003 and the ship was "oversold" on both weeks with many children. There were so many that one cruiser complained to me about it. I responded that HAL was "wetting the appetite for the next generation!" I thought it was great.

My first time on the Zuiderdam was in June of 2003 and the ship was "oversold" on both weeks with many children. There were so many that one cruiser complained to me about it. I responded that HAL was "wetting the appetite for the next generation!" I thought it was great.

Our March 7 cruise has 49 HAL kids -- 8 of whom belong to our family of 16. I called to check. Ours were hoping for more. Of spring break cruises we felt the Partial Panama offered the best educational options.

But we will have to skip that tour option as we've purchased only HAL excursions for all our ports and money has run out.

But we're looking forward to cruising on a 'happy' ship.

Ruth

When can you book the behind the scenes tour? Before boarding or after?

I did it when the sign at the Front Desk first showed up. When boarding you can ask the FD if the ship is offering this tour. Some do not. If you have the opportunity, go for it.

Thank you for the review. We'll be on the Zuiderdam in July, so I have been anxious with some of the reports.

How long was the tour? It sounds interesting, if expensive.

It was over a two day period an each day was about 2 1/2 hours.

Day 1; the bridge tour by the Staff Captain and a photo op with Captain Willems, the engine control room with Chief Martin who is appropriately proud of his area, backstage with a couple of performers and the main laundry with the laundry manager.

Day 2; Waste management ares with Safety, Environmental & Health Officer Mark Hill , provisions area, (with a tasty treat) with the Culinary Operations Manager, main galley with our Executive Chef, followed by a cocktail hour with the Hotel Manager.

We were then given a gift package (what Hammish irreverently call crap to pack) including the Signature of Excellence Cookbook and a couple of HAL glasses. Very Nice.:D:D:D:D:D

Thank you for your comments on the Zuiderdam. We also recently were on the Zuiderdam: January 24 - Feb 3. I also had the overall feeling that the crew seemed happy. I believe it starts at the top. When I heard the captain's messages each day I could hear the enthusiasm he has for the ship and his position. He sounded like he enjoyed his work and loved sharing information with us.

We had a wonderful trip, too. Enjoyed the dinners in the evening at the Vista dining room. The Dancing With The Stars at Sea classes were fun and challenging. The Panama Canal Experience tour was very good. We enjoyed dancing to the HAL Cats and BB Kings. Hammish was so upbeat and fun as a cruise director.