Something to do in Key West

gecko12

Please Andy, don't move this thread over to ports of call. Heading to Key West via Connie and don't know what to do with 2 boys, ages 9 & 11. I pick itineraries we've never been to and since we're limited to their spring break I don't have many options in choices for an itinerary. Usually we like to do a tour of the island so they see the culture but than we usually end at a beach for fun. I'm just not sure what is there for the kids. Is it best to browse the main area/shop and than get back on the boat? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Kristy

Please Andy, don't move this thread over to ports of call. Heading to Key West via Connie and don't know what to do with 2 boys, ages 9 & 11. I pick itineraries we've never been to and since we're limited to their spring break I don't have many options in choices for an itinerary. Usually we like to do a tour of the island so they see the culture but than we usually end at a beach for fun. I'm just not sure what is there for the kids. Is it best to browse the main area/shop and than get back on the boat? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Kristy

When we went there with our kids we did a catamaran snorkel in the morning and then strolled the city to see the characters and all the places that ERnest Hemingway had a drink and ate his key lime pie.

There's a 'hop on hop off' trolley tour that can be quite entertaining. They usually sell two day passes (thus, more expensive) so check that out. The island is only 1 mile square so can be walked quite easily, too. An advantage of the 'tour' is to take the circuit, figure out what/where you want to do, depending on how much time you have. There is a beach at the southeast end which the trolley goes quite near.

Google the above for prices, reviews, etc.

BC

Key West has the Mel Fisher Museum ( http://www.melfisher.org/‎ ) on Greene Street. Mel found the Spanish shipwrecks , the Atocha and Santa Margarita .

Lots of really cool gold and silver jewelry, bullion and jewels . Last time I was there they had a huge pile of silver bars just sitting out in the open. The museum tells a great story about Mel and his determination to find these two ships. Should be good fun for all ages .

Kristy

Maybe you can rent a car and drive through that famous long miles bridge towards Key-Largo? Get fishing tour over there?

We're walking towards the Butterfly exhibit and the monument showing the Southernmost point in the continental USA and Mile Marker "O". Then we backtrack on Duval st., stop at Jimmy Buffet and then Mel Fisher Shipwreck museum.

We are travelling with our 16 and 19 years old children. Nice walk but your child are younger so hard to say. The hop-on hop-off the bus is $30/adult and free for kids 12 and under (just check on their website). There is a beach near Fort Zachary. Small but very nice. Good place to have a picnic.

I posted this question and others over on the Key West Board but no one has answered any of my questions there. No one. No one answers quicker than these folks here on the Celebrity board!

Am hoping someone can tell me if Key West is flat and good for bicycle rides? I see they rent a lot of bikes, just seeing if it is nice and flat and easy to ride. We have never been there so I have no idea. Bringing our tweens ( 9 and 11) and love to bike but don't want to wear everyone out if it is really hilly.

I also wondered if there was a better bike rental place there that would come recommended.

Any answers are appreciated. Thanks.

We rented bicycles in Key West a few years with our teenagers. It was very enjoyable and reasonably priced. You can easily navigate around the area, as Key West is quite bicycle-friendly.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I posted this question and others over on the Key West Board but no one has answered any of my questions there. No one. No one answers quicker than these folks here on the Celebrity board!

Am hoping someone can tell me if Key West is flat and good for bicycle rides? I see they rent a lot of bikes, just seeing if it is nice and flat and easy to ride. We have never been there so I have no idea. Bringing our tweens ( 9 and 11) and love to bike but don't want to wear everyone out if it is really hilly.

I also wondered if there was a better bike rental place there that would come recommended.

You wil not find a place much flatter than Key West. As others have mentioned, be very careful. Some of the streets are a bit narrow.

Most of you have heard of Flat Stanley, but I doubt there's any state flatter than Florida. Louisiana might be a noble rival.

Pedestrian traffic will be heavy and car traffic couldn't care less about being polite, so do be careful.

And to the OP, other than all the other recommendations, the cemetery is kind of fun, if you like that sort of thing. Some kids do. And it's near a lovely and rather unusual Catholic church. Not air conditioned! Good time to talk about what it was like, living before some of the modern conveniences we all take so for granted.

Those are both good destinations for the bike riders, not as heavily traveled as Duval St.

Have to second the suggestion of taking a boat/snorkel excursion. You can book these from the cruise line or arrange to take a tour that you can book locally. We started our DD snorkeling at age 5 (I taught her at Coki Beach on St Thomas) and now more then 25 years later she still loves to snorkel. It is a great family activity.

Hank

We just got home from our cruise on Connie. Key West is very flat, and bicycle friendly. If the boys are outdoors oriented, then I would very highly recommend a boat excursion for snorkeling or fishing. The fishing nearby is excellent by reputation, so they may enjoy it. The little White House and Hemingway house are quite honestly, boring for most 10 year old boys. The restaurants in town are very good, and very friendly.

Have a great time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't know if your boys are into spooky stuff, but DH and I a couple of weeks ago took the Ghosts & Gravestones ship excursion and it was fun (not expensive). We were taken on an open bus with a driver and Several hundred year old character (very good performer) who pointed out spooky sightings in town & told stories and we did get out for one place. My grandkids are into things like that and maybe your boys would like it. It was about 90 minutes.

Bikes would be fine on the terrain but the traffic can be dangerous.

Great ideas everyone! I'm excited to have a general list of things to see before we end the day "bar hopping" for Key Lime Pie and Conch Fritters. I think we'll go to the southern most point just to say we did it. Than go to the ship wreck museum and Truman's Little White House.

Thanks again!

I don't know if your boys are into spooky stuff, but DH and I a couple of weeks ago took the Ghosts & Gravestones ship excursion and it was fun (not expensive). We were taken on an open bus with a driver and Several hundred year old character (very good performer) who pointed out spooky sightings in town & told stories and we did get out for one place. My grandkids are into things like that and maybe your boys would like it. It was about 90 minutes.

Bikes would be fine on the terrain but the traffic can be dangerous.

Those ghost tours are fun, just curious but did they mention about the professor who took the body of a girl about 18 or 19 who died and basically lived with her for many years. Have seen it on the History channel a couple of times and she is supposed to have been finally buried in the cemetery in secret.