Chop's Grill questions..

We've travelled RCI/Celebrity enought to be diamond but have never had dinner at Chop's. I have a few questions.

- What do you think of it?

- Is it worth it? (We are used to going on Celebrity and sometimes do go to their specialty restaurants. Our favorite is the Lawn Club Grill.)

-Does RCI ever offer discounts if it's not busy?

We're going on the Enchantment and are thinking about it the night we're in Nassau.

Thanks,

Phil...........floridacruisers

Everyone has their own opinion here on Chops. Some compare it to a Ruths Chris, Capital Grille for a fraction of the cost. I have to disagree for the sheer fact that Chops does not serve aged USDA Prime cuts. Personally though, Im perfectly ok with Choice cuts and thats exactly what Chops serves.

To me, the atmosphere and service might come close to a high end steakhouse but the steak I had was just "good". Not excellent by any means. Ive had steaks that are as good and some even better in some chain places.

With all that said, yes, I do feel its worth it to try at least once. You will have a great meal with appetizers, endless sides, a decent steak and great dessert for 60.00 a couple.

Its a break from the Main Dining Room.

PS, unless things have changed, if you are a baked potato fan, I would only order one and split it! They are literally the largest baked potatoes Ive ever seen!

Edited by ryano

"Worth" is subjective.

I thought the steaks were very good and the atmosphere was much nicer than the MDR. We have only been once as other ships didn't have chops but we thought the overall meal was excellent and priced very fairly.

We will be going again on our next cruise.

Just got off Independence and the best meal we had was at Chops. We are D+ so were able to buy one get one free the first night of the cruise. Not sure if D gets the same offer.

As you can tell from the comments here, opinions on food can really vary. I say give it a try and see for yourself.

Marianne

Everyone has their own opinion here on Chops. Some compare it to a Ruths Chris, Capital Grille for a fraction of the cost. I have to disagree for the sheer fact that Chops does not serve aged USDA Prime cuts. Personally though, Im perfectly ok with Choice cuts and thats exactly what Chops serves.

To me, the atmosphere and service might come close to a high end steakhouse but the steak I had was just "good". Not excellent by any means. Ive had steaks that are as good and some even better in some chain places.

With all that said, yes, I do feel its worth it to try at least once. You will have a great meal with appetizers, endless sides, a decent steak and great dessert for 60.00 a couple.

Its a break from the Main Dining Room.

PS, unless things have changed, if you are a baked potato fan, I would only order one and split it! They are literally the largest baked potatoes Ive ever seen!

Up to $70.00 a couple now, at least based on what they're charging on Navigator recently...

Up to $70.00 a couple now, at least based on what they're charging on Navigator recently...

After we've spent 2,500-3,000 on a cruise for three, that's minimal and OK. Worth it to escape the chaotic atmosphere and uninteresting menu of the MDR. Apparently the price for Chops varies, we just booked it on Jewel for 30.00. Portofino was a bargain at 20.00/PP :)

Edited by bouhunter

After we've spent 2,500-3,000 on a cruise for three, that's minimal and OK. Worth it to escape the chaotic atmosphere and uninteresting menu of the MDR. Apparently the price for Chops varies, we just booked it on Jewel for 30.00. Portofino was a bargain at 20.00/PP :)

Surprised they're upping it on some ships but not others, but apparently that's the case!

As others have said, value is in the eye of the beholder - we'll generally do it one night and Portofino's or Giovanni's Table (whichever they have) one night too, but don't mind the MDR food either.

Just got off Independence and the best meal we had was at Chops. We are D+ so were able to buy one get one free the first night of the cruise. Not sure if D gets the same offer.

As you can tell from the comments here, opinions on food can really vary. I say give it a try and see for yourself.

Marianne

The BOGO is D+ / Pinnacle only - not D or lower.

Surprised they're upping it on some ships but not others, but apparently that's the case!

As others have said, value is in the eye of the beholder - we'll generally do it one night and Portofino's or Giovanni's Table (whichever they have) one night too, but don't mind the MDR food either.

FWIW, isn't the Chops on Navigator also sailing with a completely different menu from all other Chops restaurants? I wouldn't be surprised if, like the menu, the increase in tariff isn't a dry run to see how well it's accepted before it's rolled out fleetwide.

Ours was included as a TA perk, but I believe Chops on Serenade was $30/person as well.

I've been to chops twice on the Jewel and the Independence. On the jewel. I was not impressed. I thought the steaks were mediocre at best. I tried it again on the independence and found it to be incredible. I thought it would be similar, but it wasn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've been to chops twice on the Jewel and the Independence. On the jewel. I was not impressed. I thought the steaks were mediocre at best. I tried it again on the independence and found it to be incredible. I thought it would be similar, but it wasn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree with your opinion of Chop's on the Jewel. Was not worth the extra $30.

We've travelled RCI/Celebrity enought to be diamond but have never had dinner at Chop's. I have a few questions.

- What do you think of it?

- Is it worth it? (We are used to going on Celebrity and sometimes do go to their specialty restaurants. Our favorite is the Lawn Club Grill.)

-Does RCI ever offer discounts if it's not busy?

We're going on the Enchantment and are thinking about it the night we're in Nassau.

Thanks,

Phil...........floridacruisers

This is pretty subjective and there are differences on the ships as well. Although we liked Chops on Allure, we thought the food on the Independence was better and more flavorful. They do offer discounts but for the opposite reason. We got 30% off our bill both nights because the manager felt bad about not being able to give us the time slots we wanted. Chops is always busy. It is worth it to us because my husband is a steak lover.

Its the best on any line.

:confused:

I know food is really subjective but Ive often heard by even some of the most loyal RCI cruisers that Carnivals steakhouse blows Chops away.

In fact, some have claimed that is the ONLY thing Carnival has over Royal Caribbean.

Edited by ryano