Booked a C1 GTY, room assigned AQ

jayoldschool

Just checked in for my upcoming Constellation cruise., and found that my C1 GTY has been "upgraded" to deck 9 AQ. Originally booked this direct through X, and the rep promised me an aft cabin with the C1 GTY. After booking, I transferred it to my TA. Should I give AQ a try, or contact my TA to get an aft C1? I'm Elite, usually take CC cabins, have never gone AQ.

Thank for your thoughts and opinions.

I'm really surprised the rep promised an aft with the C1 GTY. Since the GTY designation means they can put you that level or higher and AQ is higher, I have a feeling you might be out of luck.

It might be a good time to try Blu. If you don't care for it, you can always tell the Blu M'd that you didn't book AQ on purpose, and please make arrangements to seat you in the MDR.

Are there any afts available on your cruise? I'm surprised that a rep would promise you that, since the whole point of a guarantee is that you don't know what you will be assigned.

If you are booked through a travel agent, you will have to get him/her to change your room. But be careful. I don't know how it works with GTY but I know that with other bookings, if you change room type you might loose 1-2-3benefits.

With the exception of the balcony, you will have similar perks in an AQ cabin and will have access to Blu and the thermal spa area. Are you sure you don't want to try it? What cabin have you been assigned and on what ship?

There were afts available after I booked (I "scanned the seas"), not sure about now.

I've already paid gratuities for Select Dining. Can I still go to the MDR or are we stuck with Blu? It would be nice to go to both.

Assigned 9044 on Connie.

Not adverse at all to trying AQ, just want to make sure I'm getting what I paid for. 9044 used to be a C2 cabin. Wife's excited about the Persian Gardens. Will the bathroom have glass or curtain for the shower?

Edited by jayoldschool

Just returned from a cruise on the Reflection where I had a similar situation as you. Booked a guarantee and ended up in AQ. If you have not done AQ before, it is worth trying. While I would not go out of my way to pay the extra money for AQ, I would certainly give it a chance to experience Blu and some of the other benefits. The level of service is quite good in Blu although you should be prepared to carry on conversations with strangers since the tables are close together.

Just checked in for my upcoming Constellation cruise., and found that my C1 GTY has been "upgraded" to deck 9 AQ. Originally booked this direct through X, and the rep promised me an aft cabin with the C1 GTY. After booking, I transferred it to my TA. Should I give AQ a try, or contact my TA to get an aft C1? I'm Elite, usually take CC cabins, have never gone AQ.

Thank for your thoughts and opinions.

I think you should give it a try. Breakfast in Blu is a great perk and you can always dine in the MDR Select Dining area. :)

Thanks, appreciate the input.

Anyone know about the shower curtain/glass door issue? I recall reading something about it, but not sure if it is just the new/redesigned cabins.

Wish search was working, I feel like a noob asking basic questions. I'll google to check out Blu.

I hope you got something in writing from the agent who "promised" you an aft C1 with a C1 GTY. I was not aware you could even get a GTY for a specific class, such as C1. I thought it would be for GTY Concierge, GTY Verandah, GTY Suite, and so on.

For a GTY, you takes your chances. Sometimes you get the minimum, which is what you wanted, sometimes you get more, which is not in this case. A GTY C1, if such exists, would not have GTY'd you an aft C1, anyway-- it could have been one in suite country on deck 6. (I'm assuming you're talking about an M-class ship, one with those stupendous aft C1's.) You can ask for an aft C1, but those are in high demand and I wouldn't hold my breath.

Is AQ better? It depends on your point of view. I hereby repeat my oft-told story of how I turned down a free upgrade to a Sky Suite in order to stay in an aft C1-- had the reservation marked "No Upgrades", they overlooked it, and it was not a GTY. I caught it in time before they had anyone else reassigned to it. But we had fallen in love with the cabin from the online descriptions and we didn't want to move. If it happened again, I think we'd try a suite, but I doubt we'd change for AQ.

Edited by PartyAllDaTyme

http://eclipse2011ta.webs.com/blumenus.htm

Since the Search feature is down, here is a link to a 10 day cruise menu set for Blu, to give you an idea. We enjoy Blu and have booked AQ for our May cruise. The venue is smaller and more intimate, the service is better, the food seems fresher and individually prepared. Give it a try, you may like it.

AQ on deck 9 is A2, so you were actually downgraded. Do you remember what the price was for AQ guarantee when you made your reservation? This could be used for negotiations.

I don't know what the AQ GTY price was, but I remember that AQ was higher than the CC price. When I called X, the rep offered me the C1 GTY at a slightly higher price than the CC web price. So if I was downgraded, what should I be asking for? I'm ok with staying AQ after checking things out.

I hope you got something in writing from the agent who "promised" you an aft C1 with a C1 GTY. I was not aware you could even get a GTY for a specific class, such as C1. I thought it would be for GTY Concierge, GTY Verandah, GTY Suite, and so on.

It's C1 right on my Cruise Summary, printed out at the same time as my Xpress pass that has me in 9044.

SHIP NAME: CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION

BOARDING DATE: 08 MAR 2014

STATEROOM #: GTY

DECK #:

CATEGORY: C1

DINING SEATING: CEL SLCT

AQ on deck 9 is A2, so you were actually downgraded. Do you remember what the price was for AQ guarantee when you made your reservation? This could be used for negotiations.

I believe an A2 is a higher category than a C1. I am curious as to why you believe that it is not.

Downgrade from what. All AQ cabins are upgrades from any CC cabin.

An A2 cabin is higher than a C1 it's an upgrade. :)

OP I believe the new AQ cabins were given glass shower doors.

By all means take the AQ and give it a try. We found it very good- enjoyed the food. Were able to meet other folks and sort of form our own party for dining.

It is an upgrade, at least according to the cruiseline. As we've watched prices, it is often 3-400 more per person. We done it twice--mostly because it was only a few bucks more than regular (the first time), and because we could upgrade after price drops (second time).

Aqua class is higher than a C1.

As to the shower...it does have a glass door BUT the shower door gaskets do not hold the water in the shower. Most leak. Your cabin steward is well aware of the situation and he or she will provide extra towels and clean up the water. It won't be a flood but the bath floor will be beyond moist. It's a shame because the shower has some great features.

As to the "guarantee" I'd contact the TA. Let them go to bat for you. There are not many aft cabins on the Connie, with the exception of the deck 11 addition, so you may be stuck with the Aqua cabin - in a good way!

If you do decide to dine in the MDR it is proper to have the maître 'd from Blu make the arrangements.

Have a great cruise.

They have those main guarantee categories as specific classes (guarantee only), but they can also declare any other grade as guarantee as well. In those cases, the same rules apply.

We had a FV GTY booked on an M-Class, and I told my TA to make sure Celebrity knew that we did not want an upgrade. Image going from a FV to a C3? :eek:

I never knew they had a C1 GTY - only a CC GTY?

I'm a little surprised at the comments here from those who didn't want a cabin higher than the guaranteed category. Especially those who saw cabin availability of the class they really wanted but chose the guarantee route to save a few bucks rather than booking the cabin they really wanted.

By definition a guarantee is not for a specific category. Instead it is just a minimum guarantee and you can always be assigned any cabin the cruise line wants as long as it is the guaranteed category, or higher, according to the cruise line's category rankings. If someone sees the cabin they really want is available for booking then they should book that cabin instead of booking a guarantee and hoping they'd get it. That is the only way to assure yourself of a particular category.

I know the concept of a guarantee gets a little confusing if the guarantee is a category of cabin that someone does not want to be upgraded from. This has been particularly true on the M class where the FV and C1 cabins have a unique attraction of the large aft verandas. If you are considering such a guarantee you have to be aware of how Celebrity ranks the categories and be prepared to be "upgraded" away from your desired category as that is the nature of a guarantee.

Wine-O, our TA cautioned us in the past that an FV guarantee on M class does not guarantee an FV as the cruise line has the right to "upgrade" you to a different cabin. They had run into this in the past and knew there was that possibility. My understanding was that you can only request not to be upgraded on a specific cabin booking. On a guarantee an "upgrade" really isn't an upgrade, since by definition the guarantee includes all categories above the guaranteed level - instead placement in a higher category is technically just considered a cabin assignment and not an upgrade.

Edited by Lsimon

i agree that a "guarantee" means anything AT OR ABOVE the guarantee category.

a concierge guarantee assures you of AT LEAST a concierge cabin, and perhaps higher.

I have seen a lot of guarantee offers, but never a C1 specific offer.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that i've never, ever seen one like that.

booking a guarantee based on what is available is a roll of the dice.

You dont know how long it will take to get your cabin assignment and what can happen in the meantime. maybe ONLY c1 cabins remain. you book a guarantee expecting one of them.

someone in a c3 upgrades to a suite a week later. Bingo you could be assigned to the now empty c3...

I've seen specific category offers frequently as well. Just like regular guarantees, they're not always available and only come up as supply is great, but they're not something rare either.

One thing I find amusing on one sailing I'm looking at is that they have both e.g. you can get a 12 guarantee or an inside guarantee... and the 12 guarantee is significantly dearer (~$500). There's not always a lot of sense in cruise line pricing!

You should definitely give Blu a try. Some of the tables are close, but no closer than in the MDR. We got to know some really nice people there. And there's a more elegant, intimate and less chaotic atmosphere than in the MDR. The food and service are wonderful in Blu IMHO. And Persian Garden is great. The heated loungers are so relaxing, and you get a beautiful view of the ocean. Being Elite, you probably already get the other AQ amenities.

Look at it this way. At least in the AQ cabin you won't have all the movement and vibration that you would have in an aft cabin. We had an aft suite in January for the first time, and the movement was so much more than we've ever had in other cabins. Love the view from the aft but can't take all the motion.