Any privacy/noise issues with connecting rooms

chisoxfan

We recently booked a C2 cabin on Refelction (hump cabin). This appeared to be the only hump available and the cabin received one or two positive reviews. However, I did see that it is listed as a connecting cabin. Is this anything to be concerned about? I assume that it would be similar to hotel

room where a securely locked door is between the rooms but wonder if this increases noise or creates any other issues?

Many thanks for your input.

We recently booked a C2 cabin on Refelction (hump cabin). This appeared to be the only hump available and the cabin received one or two positive reviews. However, I did see that it is listed as a connecting cabin. Is this anything to be concerned about? I assume that it would be similar to hotel

room where a securely locked door is between the rooms but wonder if this increases noise or creates any other issues?

My wife was particularly disturbed by noise from an adjoining cabin several cruises ago and we will not be booking another connecting cabin again unless it's the last one available on a "must take" cruise. Of course the noise depends on the occupants, so you might have no problem.

Been in these staterooms on the hump on numerous occasions and have never had a problem at all. Noise is subjective though and also if you have very noisy neighbours they will affect you whether you are in a connecting room or not.

Thank you for the quick comments. Clearly how loud the adjoining occupants are will have a huge bearing on the quietness of the

cabin. That said , I would have to believe that a door would potentially allow more sound through than a wall. I think we will opt for a "regular" cabin. Believe 1077 on hump might be available.

However, I did see that it is listed as a connecting cabin. Is this anything to be concerned about? I assume that it would be similar to hotel

Connecting cabins aboard Reflection and her sisters are NOT designed like connecting hotel rooms. There is no door located on the common wall that separates the two connecting cabins.

Instead, the cabins are connected at their front entrance thru the vestibule. If you look at the floor plan below, you will see notches in the shapes of the cabins where the join the hallway. The notches (vestibule) is where the front door for each cabin is located (which also means that almost every cabin front door is very close to the front door of an adjacent cabin. Those cabins that are designated as connecting have a 3rd door that can be used that seals the vestibule from the hallway. That allows the connecting cabins to leave their cabin doors open to allow access to each other behind this 3rd door.

The two cabins immediately to the right of the red dot in the floor plan below are connecting cabins. In fact they were used as connecting cabins during our sailing. You can see that there is a blue line at the top of the top of the notch between the notch and hallway for these two cabins. This is where the 3rd door is located. If the cabins are not used as connecting cabins, then the 3rd door is swung out of the way. When not used as connecting cabins, the access to the front door of the cabin from the hallway is the same as a non-connecting cabin. In short, there is very little difference between a connecting and non-connecting cabin.

13168715983_21e030bebe_z.jpg

Edited by mahdnc

There is no difference in noise transmission between the connecting and the non connecting rooms on S class ships. In both cases the doors to the corridor are side by side.

If passengers book the two adjacent rooms as connecting rooms, they can move the out doors at the passageway together to allow movement from one room to the other without entering the corridor.

Correct. These cabins do not share anything more with each other than non-connecting cabins. If you are happy with your location, there is no reason to move based on fears of neighboring noise. You could wind up with loud people on the next balcony on your non-connecting cabin.

The only noise I've ever heard was people letting their doors slam too hard.

Connecting cabins aboard Reflection and her sisters are NOT designed like connecting hotel rooms. There is no door located on the common wall that separates the two connecting cabins.

Instead, the cabins are connected at their front entrance thru the vestibule. If you look at the floor plan below, you will see notches in the shapes of the cabins where the join the hallway. The notches (vestibule) is where the front door for each cabin is located. Those cabins that are designated as connecting have a 3rd door that can be used that seals the vestibule from the hallway. That allows the connecting cabins to leave their cabin doors open to allow access to each other behind this 3rd door.

This is correct. There is no difference on S-class. The only noise problem is if you have door bangers next door and this can occur in any of the cabins, connecting or not.

Instead, the cabins are connected at their front entrance thru the vestibule. If you look at the floor plan below, you will see notches in the shapes of the cabins where the join the hallway. The notches (vestibule) is where the front door for each cabin is located (which also means that almost every cabin front door is very close to the front door of an adjacent cabin. Those cabins that are designated as connecting have a 3rd door that can be used that seals the vestibule from the hallway. That allows the connecting cabins to leave their cabin doors open to allow access to each other behind this 3rd door.

The two cabins immediately to the right of the red dot in the floor plan below are connecting cabins. In fact they were used as connecting cabins during our sailing. You can see that there is a blue line at the top of the top of the notch between the notch and hallway for these two cabins. This is where the 3rd door is located. If the cabins are not used as connecting cabins, then the 3rd door is swung out of the way. When not used as connecting cabins, the access to the front door of the cabin from the hallway is the same as a non-connecting cabin. In short, there is very little difference between a connecting and non-connecting cabin.

What can I say. It amazes me that someone would take the time to explain this so thoroughly. Many thanks to all and particularly mahdnc.

I had actually just changed my cabin and after seeing this info went back to my original Reflection 1136 which initially seemed ideal. I had pictured the proverbial door between cabins which raised my concerns regarding noise. Thanks again.

chisoxfan, you are welcome. When I booked our first cabin on Eclipse, I had the same question as you did, as our cabin was also a connecting cabin. Someone on this board was able to explain it to me. Having now seen it, it is a clever design in my opinion.

Not sure if either Chicago team will have much to cheer for this summer.....

Edited by mahdnc

This is correct. There is no difference on S-class. The only noise problem is if you have door bangers next door and this can occur in any of the cabins, connecting or not.

Are there any noise issues with the newly renovated connecting cabins on Deck 3 on the Millennium?

I haven't seen what kind of configuration they have. The M-Class ships have connecting doors like they have in hotels, but I don't know about the new cabins.

I haven't seen them either, but since the other cabins which were added to the M class were configured the same way as the original cabins, my guess would be that they would have connecting doors in the cabins. And those doors do transmit sound. So I would avoid them if you don't need to connect to the other cabin.

Just an FYI but numerous people have reported back that for some reason they did not do the double set of doors on the Reflection, I don't know if the cabins they had just didn't have them or if they didn't put them on Reflection as I have not been on it yet. All the other S class ships do have the double doors. I thought it was a great idea and like I said don't know if it is true or not.

Just an FYI but numerous people have reported back that for some reason they did not do the double set of doors on the Reflection, I don't know if the cabins they had just didn't have them or if they didn't put them on Reflection as I have not been on it yet. All the other S class ships do have the double doors. I thought it was a great idea and like I said don't know if it is true or not.

I had the same thought as I remember reading about this. I was just on the Reflection, but we did not do a cabin crawl and I don't book connecting cabins, so can't comment for sure. But I'm pretty sure that folks posted photos showing a connecting door inside the cabins. Dumb move on Celebrity's part, in my view. The other design was brilliant.

Exactly. On S class ships the design is such that there is no more noise than any other cabin. On M class the connection is a door on the shared wall so that is a different story.

Sorry, but this is incorrect on Reflection. We have been in connecting hump cabins on Reflection and it uses the more common design of doors set in the walls between the rooms. It does NOT have the extra doors in vestibule.

People, if you have not been on a ship, do NOT assume you know how it is configured. Just because her four sisters are designed a certain way is no guarantee that Reflection is identical. And in this case, it definitely is NOT. Providing guesses instead of information based on first hand knowledge does no one any favors, and is a grave disservice to your fellow CC members.

In the image below is a typical connecting stateroom on Reflection. You can clearly see the connecting door in the wall just above the foot of the bed.

Having correct that misinformation, I can also add that we did not hear noise from the next room through these doors. They seem to be very well insulated.

Celebrity-Reflection-7151-378.JPG

Edited by boogs

I hope chisoxfan has seen the correction as I am not happy that I provided him/her with the wrong information which affected which cabin got booked. I am sorry for that.

boogs, my correcting post did link to your photograph of a connecting door inside a Reflection cabin.

Edited by mahdnc

I hope chisoxfan has seen the correction as I am not happy that I provided him/her with the wrong information which affected which cabin got booked. I am sorry for that.

boogs, my correcting post did link to your photograph of a connecting door inside a Reflection cabin.

Yes, I saw that. Thanks for pointing it out. Unfortunately, I had already posted my reply before getting to your correcting post. I typically reply immediately after reading a post instead of waiting until having read the entire thread. I find that if I don't reply to a post just after reading it I may not go back to it, especially if the thread is long. Perhaps I should read the entire thread before replying in the future. I may not get into as much trouble if I did that! :D

And I probably get unduly frustrated when I read misinformation. I once took to a similar forum looking for information and made a decision based on what I was told there. It turned out that the information was completely wrong and I ended up losing several hundred dollars because of it. I trusted what I was being told and I got stung. I probably am too eager to help people avoid the same pitfall. But heck, if it saves someone money, disappointment or grief, I am willing to take a few punches. ;)

Edited by boogs

Yes, I saw that. Thanks for pointing it out. Unfortunately, I had already posted my reply before getting to your correcting post. I typically reply immediately after reading a post instead of waiting until having read the entire thread. I find that if I don't reply to a post just after reading it I may not go back to it, especially if the thread is long. Perhaps I should read the entire thread before replying in the future. I may not get into as much trouble if I did that! :D

And I probably get unduly frustrated when I read misinformation. I once took to a similar forum looking for information and made a decision based on what I was told there. It turned out that the information was completely wrong and I ended up losing several hundred dollars because of it. I trusted what I was being told and I got stung. I probably am too eager to help people avoid the same pitfall. But heck, if it saves someone money, disappointment or grief, I am willing to take a few punches. ;)

It's a matter of "trust but verify." :) I've found sometimes the sticky on cabin compilations is sometimes wrong with regard to bed position.

Boogs thank you for offering this correction. Strangely, my travel agent "confirmed" with X yesterday that there was no connecting door in my original 1136 cabin on the Reflection but that they had the shared entrance atrium concept. I found a You Tube Video this morning that clearly shows the inside connecting door that you show above. I also saw a CC thread where the poster said their "higher" deck Reflection balcony cabin DID NOT have the interior connecting door. So I suppose some levels could have interior doors as shown and others the outside door arrangement? I would not count on this as I would not (sadly) count on travel agent or X information. At the end of the day I felt pretty lame for spending so much time on this. My thinking was that all things equal I would prefer not to have an interior door even though it looks unobtrusive.

That said I had an option of another hump cabin 1077 bed by balcony which we prefer so I grabbed this in an effort to retain my sanity on this booking. We stayed across the ship 1044 on our last Reflection cruise and this cabin was a great location. So again thanks to everyone who tried to answer this inquiry.