Aos doa

I know how relieved I was, being on Allure's first cruise after being fixed, to see the ship hit 21 knts. I'm sure the folks on Adventure feel that same sense of relief.

Hopefully, she will again after the drydock. Adventure is at 14 knots now so at least there is a temporary fix.

I only know what Marine Traffic says is being transmitted.

Thanks, I forgot that info was available on Marine Traffic if one click on the ship icon and it agrees with AOS traveling at 14 knots which means it will be arriving in St. Johns at just before 6am tomorrow to take on its pilot.

Edited by robtulipe

Why? They got a full cruise. Ports may be changed, substituted, or eliminated.

If sitting in St Maarten for two days and drifting through the ocean for an entire day considered a full cruise, then so is this group on right now; they just sat in Puerto Rico for two days instead. Our March 16th cruise deserves more than what we got as well

Very often the tugs are required, but only act as standby measures. Also, today's tractor tugs frequently do not tie up when used as pushers. Generally, the tugs do not tie up to cruise ships, unless the docking master requires it, because the rubber bumpers mar the white paint.

Ya I knew they were on standby if we couldn't make the turns, and the reason why I stated tie up to the ship was when the Captain informed us about the tugs he stated we might see them tie up. It was fun to watch everything as a boat lover

If sitting in St Maarten for two days and drifting through the ocean for an entire day considered a full cruise, then so is this group on right now; they just sat in Puerto Rico for two days instead. Our March 16th cruise deserves more than what we got as well

I agree but I'm not going to fret about it since we were out for the full cruise and the 300 ship board credit did reduce my bill greatly. My only problem was how i was treated with my choice air, i received a new flight but had no seat assignment and was told by the airline that i might not be on the plane due to there being no room for me or my wife. There was a few other things on how i waa trwated with being disabled but again i am not going yo raise a big stink about it. I finally had a vacation in 11 years, got to spend time with my wife and got away from the arctic state of Michigan. My wife and I are already planning our next vacation, even tho it might not be with RCI it might be with Disney due to us wanting to take our son in 2-3 years when he is 4 or 5 and I think he would enjoy the Dianey characters more then being on RCI. I am upset with how RCI handled everything but I am not discouraged from cruising again and my wife enjoyed her first cruise. I welcome peoples opinions on the Disney cruise comment.

Edited by Luuminator
fix errors and add

Your cruise started on time and ended timely as well. Your ports of call were changed due to unforeseen circumstance and RCI *did* issue an OBC. Did the next set of cruisers get a better deal? Yes. Was RCI required to make a deal with either set? Well, not technically but that's just bad business.

I agree that in almost all cases an actual refund / partial refund is preferable to an on board credit.

Once Princess let the cat out of the bag (they were delayed since Saturday in Houston because of the oil spill, had NO mechanical issues with their own ship) that they were doing a full refund and letting people stay that sort of forced RCI's hand. Then Princess took back their offer, which made RCI look like the start. Unfortunately sitting elsewhere, with no oil spill, was a ship that WAS broken and not sailing, so RCI had to publicly offer AT LEAST what was offered to Navigator guests.

The whole time people bashed on Carnival for only offering a pro-rated per diem amount refund, but they got their ships out first somehow and paid the least back to their customers to do it. Meanwhile Princess and RCI momentarily look like chumps.

I have to wonder if RCI hadn't given full refund + 25% to Navigator guests already if they would have offered such a generous deal to Adventure guests?

Am I correct in thinking your itinerary should have been st Thomas, St Kitts, Aruba and Curaçao and two days at sea (sorry I can't remember your itinerary) and would appreciate the itinerary you actually sailed as it was a little hard to keep up with all the posts where you were and when.

Whilst I sympathize that the cruise you were on was not ideal I do not agree that compensation should be in the same range as those that are currently onboard.

You departed when you were supposed to and had ports substituted. Whilst I understand St Maarten was two days you would have been in a port that day anyway all be it it wasn't the port you intended.

But in all fairness the current sailing has only just left on what is day 4 of their cruise on an itinerary that only had one day at sea. I don't see how they can be claimed to be comparable.

Before you flame me I have been on plenty of ships where itineraries/ ports have been cancelled most notably one we chose to specifically go to Malta which my DH was hopeful to see relatives living on the island. We spent all day sailing round the island so near and yet so far. Standard compensation is port fees refunded. You stated you had compensation of $600.

I get things are disappointing when they don't turn out as planned, but if you put yourself in the position of what's happened on this current sailing I am sure you would then appreciate which situation is worse.

Just saying

You stated you had compensation of $600.

I get things are disappointing when they don't turn out as planned, but if you put yourself in the position of what's happened on this current sailing I am sure you would then appreciate which situation is worst

I agree with you and I only received 300

I agree but I'm not going to fret about it since we were out for the full cruise and the 300 ship board credit did reduce my bill greatly. My only problem was how i was treated with my choice air, i received a new flight but had no seat assignment and was told by the airline that i might not be on the plane due to there being no room for me or my wife. There was a few other things on how i waa trwated with being disabled but again i am not going yo raise a big stink about it. I finally had a vacation in 11 years, got to spend time with my wife and got away from the arctic state of Michigan. My wife and I are already planning our next vacation, even tho it might not be with RCI it might be with Disney due to us wanting to take our son in 2-3 years when he is 4 or 5 and I think he would enjoy the Dianey characters more then being on RCI. I am upset with how RCI handled everything but I am not discouraged from cruising again and my wife enjoyed her first cruise. I welcome peoples opinions on the Disney cruise comment.

If it is the characters that are drawing you to Disney then you could consider an RCI ship that has the Dreamworks characters aboard.

If it is the characters that are drawing you to Disney then you could consider an RCI ship that has the Dreamworks characters aboard.

I did not know that. Thanks for the info Ocean Boy. I will look into that when I start to book the cruise.

If you choice for Disney is all about character encounters - good luck to you. At least my experience in February (not even peak season). Get ready to stand in line for up to 1 hour or more just for one character photo op, then onto the next hour wait for the next character. On RCI, I've had numerous photo ops with Shrek, Fiona, the panda guy....just by them walking down the promenade or showing up at the pool and this was me, not even looking for them. Disney character meetings are very structured.

It is one thing a ship cannot follow its schedule because of outside circumstances, like oil spills or weather. It is a whole different story when the company sells you an itinerary and then does not complete it due to their ship having technical issues. In that case the company has not lived up to its obligations and should refund its clients.

Edited by DonRobertoSanJuan

Totally agree, I just got off the phone with customer service and they refuse to do anything more for us. We paid for a Southern Caribbean cruise and got half and Eastern Caribbean cruise.

In addition, those sitting in Puerto Rico were able to see Puerto Rico in the evening. We were told by the St. Martin locals as well as the crew to not go to St. Martin at night. It was definitly not safe.

Really disappointed with Royal right now. :(

Oh I'm not demanding anything more, we made the best of the situation. We're sailing next year on rcl no matter what.. If they give us a future cruise discount, great, if not, oh well. It is what it is. I just typically expect better from rcl than how the service and handling of Sunday went..

Get over it! you had a 7 day cruise with on-board credit. Missed ports are a common thing with cruises.

It is one thing a ship cannot follow its schedule because of outside circumstances, like oil spills or weather. It is a whole different story when the company sells you an itinerary and then does not complete it due to their ship having technical issues. In that case the company has not lived up to its obligations and should refund its clients.

Someone earlier on stated that there was a credit (don't know whether it was a credit or OBC) for the ports missed.

Even the much ballyhooed "bill of rights" (voluntarily adopted by the CLIA members) only provides the following:

2.The right to a full refund for a trip that is canceled due to mechanical failures, or a partial refund for voyages that are terminated early due to those failures.

So, since the previous cruise was not terminated early, there is no reason for a partial refund. The present cruise was delayed by 3 days, so this qualifies for a partial refund, which RCI decided to make a full refund.

Regarding the previous cruise, your cruise contract states:

By way of example, and not limitation, Carrier may, without liability, deviate from any scheduled sailing and may otherwise land Passenger and her

property at any port if Carrier believes that the voyage or any Passenger or property may be hindered or adversely affected as a result of hostilities,

blockages, prevailing weather conditions, labor conflicts, strikes onboard or ashore, breakdown of Vessel, congestion, docking difficulties, medical or life

saving emergencies or any other cause whatsoever.

So the fact that RCI gave a credit, rather than just crediting port fees, is done in good faith.

Read the contract, which outlines both the cruise line's and the passengers obligations in the agreement. If you don't like the cruise contract, don't sign it, simple contract law.

I understand that plans have gone awry, but why does it always seem that when something doesn't go as planned, many times boils down to "someone owes me something?" If RCI cancelled the entire cruise, then yes, I think they owe the passengers a full refund. Otherwise, if they are rearranging ports as needed, then a credit of some sort should suffice. Yet another reason to have insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Missing the port part I was fine with.. I understand things happens.. but how Sunday was handled was totally unacceptable. To be told to go to a lounge by the concierge to essentially get the suite guests down away from the concierge because she didn't know what was happening, and then not see a SINGLE crew member in that lounge for 2+ hours is unacceptable to coordinate any of the 500+ guests in that one room

Missing the port part I was fine with.. I understand things happens.. but how Sunday was handled was totally unacceptable. To be told to go to a lounge by the concierge to essentially get the suite guests down away from the concierge because she didn't know what was happening, and then not see a SINGLE crew member in that lounge for 2+ hours is unacceptable to coordinate any of the 500+ guests in that one room

I am not sure how many times you have stayed in a suite but it is normal for suite guests to be convened in a lounge or restaurant depending on ship that is not the concierge lounge waiting for disembarkation. Although I do agree there should have been one person with you to assist with questions but not necessarily the concierge.

If things are not on schedule the concierge won't necessarily know what is happening or at least won't be top of the chain of in the know.

Disembarkation is a mess at the best of times. Even if you had been on schedule it wouldn't have been perfect. Everyone hates disembarkation day, staff and passengers alike. You will never please thousands of people that all want off ship at the exact same time because it's just not possible, and unfortunately the vast majority all feel they have the right to be first.

What I mean by that is suite guests get priority disembarkation (like you say can be hundreds of guests) but so do pinnacle and d+ And diamond have priority. You also have self assist guests who think they are first (which they should be after suite and seasoned travelers) but because they are at the front of the line get impatient seeing other guests being walked off, then you have RC trying to get all their transfers / excursions guests off because they want to get coaches on the move and don't want passengers held up in long queues and passengers are getting flustered they will miss transfer etc. So like I say you suddenly you have the whole ship trying to get off at once with very few actually listening to directions and blocking the way for people that are trying to follow directions.

Unfortunately that is part of the cruise experience and unless you sail on a far smaller ship in terms of passengers you will not see it much better at the best of times.

Regrettably when a ship is delayed arriving all the above is compounded and everyone starts out even more irritated which makes it worse.

Keep calm and cruise on:D

I am not sure how many times you have stayed in a suite but it is normal for suite guests to be convened in a lounge or restaurant depending on ship that is not the concierge lounge waiting for disembarkation. Although I do agree there should have been one person with you to assist with questions but not necessarily the concierge.

If things are not on schedule the concierge won't necessarily know what is happening or at least won't be top of the chain of in the know.

Disembarkation is a mess at the best of times. Even if you had been on schedule it wouldn't have been perfect. Everyone hates disembarkation day, staff and passengers alike. You will never please thousands of people that all want off ship at the exact same time because it's just not possible, and unfortunately the vast majority all feel they have the right to be first.

What I mean by that is suite guests get priority disembarkation (like you say can be hundreds of guests) but so do pinnacle and d+ And diamond have priority. You also have self assist guests who think they are first (which they should be after suite and seasoned travelers) but because they are at the front of the line get impatient seeing other guests being walked off, then you have RC trying to get all their transfers / excursions guests off because they want to get coaches on the move and don't want passengers held up in long queues and passengers are getting flustered they will miss transfer etc. So like I say you suddenly you have the whole ship trying to get off at once with very few actually listening to directions and blocking the way for people that are trying to follow directions.

Unfortunately that is part of the cruise experience and unless you sail on a far smaller ship in terms of passengers you will not see it much better at the best of times.

Regrettably when a ship is delayed arriving all the above is compounded and everyone starts out even more irritated which makes it worse.

Keep calm and cruise on:D

I didn't expect the conceriage to be down there, but anyone would expect at least one worker to be present at least once in the 2 hours to help coordinate. Last year on Allure, we weren't a suite, we were just in a balcony and we were still off by like 9. There was a crew member every few feet and we're helping anyone with questions. The part that irked me was not one single worker anywhere to be seen, almost like they were avoiding being on the decks because they didn't have a clue what was going on.

sorry but I can't agree with this.

sorry posted before I was done.

anyway I can't agree with this statement. You went on your cruise as planned . You stayed in st maarten for 2 days which I would love. usually staying on the islands is short and never long enough. You came back as planned even though you have a slower time coming back. The people on the 23rd sailing couldn't even check into the ship until 4pm and while waiting they had to stand in the heat with no water and no bathroom. People were fainting and ambulances had to take them away. They were stuck in San Juan for 3plus days. They had no idea if they were actually going to leave or not. They definitely do deserve to get all the compensation that they did.

The week before they missed 2 islands yes they also should be compensated but I certainly hope you dont expect the same compensation. Should you get more than 300.00? Yes I do believe you should. What should you get ? I have no idea maybe ask for a discount on a future cruise. That would make me pretty happy. I'm sorry you had that bad experience and I hope you made the best of the situation.

I didn't expect the conceriage to be down there, but anyone would expect at least one worker to be present at least once in the 2 hours to help coordinate. Last year on Allure, we weren't a suite, we were just in a balcony and we were still off by like 9. There was a crew member every few feet and we're helping anyone with questions. The part that irked me was not one single worker anywhere to be seen, almost like they were avoiding being on the decks because they didn't have a clue what was going on.

Whilst I agree there should have been more visibility of crew i have never seen a large amount of people assisting on the last day other than to keep stair wells open and to keep people from cutting. The instructions the day before and the announcements should be sufficient. Ie where to be and at what time.

I think I am not clear on what else you feel needed to be coordinated.:confused: If we ever want priority disembarkation we speak to the concierge or la the day before to advise what we need so they have time to coordinate a time to meet to get priority departure. Otherwise we get off at our own speed.

That being said if the ship had arrived on time they had plenty of time to get luggage off ready to be collected, customs cleared etc. in order to get everyone off when there is a late arrival it really is all hands on deck helping out with things they may not normally do/fall under their job description.

It was not a normal situation so expectations need to be adjusted.

Did you speak to the concierge prior to the last day to explain your requirements regarding priority departure and what you were looking for?

There are times we want to utilize it, other times we want to just hang out. Some ships are more efficient with departure than others due to the size of the port and amount of customs people working as they are only allowed to allow so many off at a time. To compare two totally different ships sailing to two totally different ports is not really comparing apples with apples.

My overall point is don't expect much on departure day:) by learning not to expect much you can't get too disappointed

Sorry forgot to mention ship can't let anyone off until CBP say which is why for the most part, until disembarkation begins no one really knows what's happening.

Whilst I agree there should have been more visibility of crew i have never seen a large amount of people assisting on the last day other than to keep stair wells open and to keep people from cutting. The instructions the day before and the announcements should be sufficient. Ie where to be and at what time.

I think I am not clear on what else you feel needed to be coordinated.:confused: If we ever want priority disembarkation we speak to the concierge or la the day before to advise what we need so they have time to coordinate a time to meet to get priority departure. Otherwise we get off at our own speed.

That being said if the ship had arrived on time they had plenty of time to get luggage off ready to be collected, customs cleared etc. in order to get everyone off when there is a late arrival it really is all hands on deck helping out with things they may not normally do/fall under their job description.

It was not a normal situation so expectations need to be adjusted.

Did you speak to the concierge prior to the last day to explain your requirements regarding priority departure and what you were looking for?

There are times we want to utilize it, other times we want to just hang out. Some ships are more efficient with departure than others due to the size of the port and amount of customs people working as they are only allowed to allow so many off at a time. To compare two totally different ships sailing to two totally different ports is not really comparing apples with apples.

My overall point is don't expect much on departure day:) by learning not to expect much you can't get too disappointed

That's part of the first frustration.. We did talk with her the night before and she told us to meet at portofinos and she would walk us off at 730. Then when we were going to be late, she told us she would be in portofinos at 7 to start helping with flights and not the lounge.. She never did show up in portofinos. She eventually showed up in the Concierge lounge around 8. She told us to be down at imperial lounge at 11 and she would walk us suite guests off.. Met with the other suite guests and she never showed up.. So I called her around 1130 a d the story then changed to that a crew member would be down there walking us off, and she told the other suite guest we were with that she'd be down there.. Needless to say, neither one happened. It is what is is.. Like I said, I don't want a refund or anything crazy like that, just a future cruise discount and id be fine.