$10 Charge for Character Dining?

I actually heard back from RCI about this one (I sent an email a few weeks ago). They have decided to postpone the charge until Sept. 1, meaning that if you book the dining before Sept. 1, no matter when your sail date is, you will not have to pay the charge. We are on the Thanksgiving Allure sailing, and the lady I spoke with assured me that the dining for our sailing will be up prior to Sept. 1. Anyhow, it's not a complete victory, but it does help many of us who booked prior to the charge being announced.

Thank you for the update. I'll go see if I can find it for my June sailing...

I actually heard back from RCI about this one (I sent an email a few weeks ago). They have decided to postpone the charge until Sept. 1, meaning that if you book the dining before Sept. 1, no matter when your sail date is, you will not have to pay the charge. We are on the Thanksgiving Allure sailing, and the lady I spoke with assured me that the dining for our sailing will be up prior to Sept. 1. Anyhow, it's not a complete victory, but it does help many of us who booked prior to the charge being announced.

Thank you for this update. I will check my reservation in August.

Jane (from the duo Dick and Jane)

Chicago, Illinois

Thanks for the update! I just went and booked our reservation for the character breakfast! I might as well do it while it is still free! I do not mind there being things that the cruise line charges extra for. I especially understand them charging for specialty restaurants like Johnny Rockets and Ben and Jerrys. But to charge for a breakfast that is normally free only because the characters will be there is ridiculous. If you are going to charge then there needs to be something extra there besides the characters. They are around the ship for free all the time.
Based on that logic isn't there hamburgers, ice cream, coffee and food in included venues. I think the charge is wonderful because it gets the kiddies out of the MDR making for a more quiet experience for us adults AND why should I supplement a kids program.

Based on that logic isn't there hamburgers, ice cream, coffee and food in included venues. I think the charge is wonderful because it gets the kiddies out of the MDR making for a more quiet experience for us adults AND why should I supplement a kids program.

I don really understand what you mean by supplementing a kids program. If you look at it that way, buying your cruise ticket is supplementing kids programs. And my kids' tickets are supplementing all sorts of adult programs . You are saying that kids should have to pay extra to be kept away from adults ? Its a family cruise and the kids have just as much right to be there as the grown ups. It's not even like kids pay a reduced price to sail. And also, this particular activity doesn't cost RCI anything extra. It's the same breakfast that everyone else gets and character interactions are included with your cruise ticket. I agree that there should be a kids area or whatever in the MDR so that adults can have grown up time or whatever, but by that logic the kids breakfast should still be free! How about having a floor of the MDR set aside for families and having characters show up every morning ? That would eliminate the complicated reservation system and would allow kids to have a fun place to go every morning while giving the adults a kid-free zone.

This doesn't even make any sense. Character breakfast mornings don't make for a more quiet MRR experience - just the opposite in fact.

Thank you for this update. I will check my reservation in August.

Chicago, Illinois

It's still showing a $10 per person fee for my August 24th sailing.

Guest Resolutions advised it would take a few days for their IT Dept to remove the fee from the summer sailings.

It's still showing a $10 per person fee for my August 24th sailing.

Guest Resolutions advised it would take a few days for their IT Dept to remove the fee from the summer sailings.

We are sailing on August 3. I sent an email to request a refund. I'll give them a few days before I call. Thanks.

Chicago, Illinois

Where is everyone finding the character breakfasts? I'm surprised to hear that it's available for booking for an August cruise, because I can't find it anywhere for my June cruise.

You have to dig around a little to find it. I think it is in the onboard experiences section, like where the Barbie experience thing is. And when I booked it last night it was still saying that there was a $10 charge, but when I actually made the reservation it popped up "no charge".

There are cruise lines that cater primarily to adults. If you don't want to be bothered by kids, and you feel that you are paying for their activities, why don't you choose one of those cruise lines?

We have some on our roll call who booked it for free. It shows a charge in the description, but, if you continue on with reserving it there is no charge. Try it!

I got as far as having to fill out the credit card information. I cancelled at that point. Do you have to submit your credit card info and then it comes up as no charge ?

I got as far as having to fill out the credit card information. I cancelled at that point. Do you have to submit your credit card info and then it comes up as no charge ?

No. They said the reservation screen said "no charge" they did not use a credit card number. Some are saying to give it a little time for later sailings. Ours is in May.

I am so excited about hearing there is such a thing as a character breakfast! I never paid attention to kid's stuff but now that I have a 1 1/2 year old grandson that cruises with us (his parents come, too) it is good to know about these things!! I will gladly pay the $10 to see my grandson with the characters next march on the Freedom. We also plan to go on the Oasis in July and Disneyworld in Sept!!!(We'll do lots of character breakfasts there!!)

Just off the Freedom today...did two of the DreamWorks Character breakfasts...absolutely no charge and interestingly, no one asked for our name or checked our reservation or even looked at our Seapass cards. You just walked in between 7:45AM and 8:00 AM with the kids and were seated in the Character Breakfast area.

I am so excited about hearing there is such a thing as a character breakfast! I never paid attention to kid's stuff but now that I have a 1 1/2 year old grandson that cruises with us (his parents come, too) it is good to know about these things!! I will gladly pay the $10 to see my grandson with the characters next march on the Freedom. We also plan to go on the Oasis in July and Disneyworld in Sept!!!(We'll do lots of character breakfasts there!!)

$10 per person, except for the little one.

M

Has anyone noticed if they removed the $10 fee for summer sailings?

Mine is still there for Aug. :mad:

I called and was told if you book and pay the fee, they will give you an onboard credit. I would be fine with that if it was stated in writing somewhere.

Last week on the Oasis they asked for our room number. People whos name was not on the list were seated on the other side of the dining room. We were allowed in at 7:45. The others at 8:00. Our grand sons enjoyed it but would not pay $10 a person for it. There are plenty of chances to meet the characters and take pictures around the ship for free. There was 6 in our group. It would have been $180.00 for all 3 times.

Is there any way to pre-book this without using the website? I am tired of looking for it every single day. When I look, I see this:

rccl01_zps8c48e384.jpg

Then when I click on Onboard activities, I see this:

rccl02_zpsb2da0dcd.jpg

We embark in 68 days. I can't figure out why nothing is there.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did call and was able to book. I was charged the $10pp over the age of 5 and they said there would be onboard credit for the full amount on our account. I imagine they just don't want the hassle of recoding things for 16 weeks of sailings, so this is reasonable.