Update on the new Seabourn smoking policy: Live from Quest

markham

I have read every post in this thread and have a few observations/opinions:

• When other lines implemented more restrictive smoking policies than Seabourn only a limited number of reactions are possible for those that smoke and sail those other lines including ignoring the new policy and stopped smoking. However, another distinct possibility/probability is that they took the path of least smoking resistance – Seabourn. While we’ll likely never know, this influx of passengers could in part account for Seabourn’s reticence to change their policy further.

• I don’t think Seabourn knows how many of their passengers smoke. Therefore, any theories or ideas flowing from the assumption that they do are suspect.

• I’m quite convinced that the community here is even a smaller fraction of the total # of Seabourn pax than has been estimated at 10%. I say this because I am in a vacation club that has thousands of members and by my best estimate fewer than 5% had ever heard of Cruise Critic.

• The statement that “the vast majority of people don’t like smoking on board” or words to that effect is both highly presumptive and superfluous. Presumptive because it assumes that essentially a fact with no evidence. Superfluous because it doesn’t matter. As has been said, if you complain about a policy and continue to sail, why should Seabourn care? Further, it doesn’t matter who “cares, or prefers” no smoking, it matters if Seabourn loses enough revenue such that that care and it can be directly attributed to their smoking policy. Obviously, due to the nearly infinitesimal strident non-smoking lobby here, Seabourn has determined that threshold has not been reached and I wouldn’t hold your breath for changes.

• Anyone who thinks any one person can skew the smoking policy of a cruise line is engaging in wishful thinking in the extreme, no matter what officer on board told whom.

• In the US we have a ‘buyer beware” policy. So, Markum, not to antagonize but you have absolutely no rational basis for concluding that Seabourn owes anyone an apology for complying with their own policy. You know what the policy is. Try to change it by any reasonable means you think necessary, but demanding an apology shouldn’t be one of them.

I know this isn’t what the strident anti-smokers wanted to hear, but it’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it. I would just remind anyone who cares; the last smoking thread was cancelled due to a distinct lack of civility and name calling.

Frankly, life is too short to ruminate about things that you may not like, but are very unlikely to harm you, like secondhand smoke aboard a ship.

Zich, you're back!

I will keep this short. Don't presume to opine with any degree of authority or credibility about peoples' tolerance of second hand smoke. The buck stops with how you choose to manage your own health - "life's too short", you say? - and if you want to breathe smoke on your balcony or at the Observation Bar, go ahead.

Further, you wouldn't be happy, I am guessing, on Cunard, Silversea or Regent. They don't allow smoking on balconies or indoor lounges apart from their sealed smokers's rooms. Only Seabourn does. Sounds vile to me but then they have evolved. I would like to think Seabourn will too.

So... This is indeed about "buyer beware". Buyers in all markets exert power through their preferences. The wider industry gets it and health management is big bucks. Yes, Seabourn and some of its oblivious customers may be outliers. We will see for how long.

Happy cruising!

The smoking issue will be about for a while yet, I understand that people want to try to encourage Seabourn to stop smoking in more areas of the ships, but at the end of the day the situation as I see it at this minute is as follows:

Smokers can smoke in certain areas of the ships, this means that as customers we have a simple choice, accept it or book on the other lines that have a more suitable smoking policy. If smoking is such a major issue you will have an overall better holiday experience elsewhere, if you can accept it you must generally feel that Seabourn even with smoking is giving us a prefferable product.

I am aware that some posters here will never cruise Seabourn until the policy changes however it would be interesting to know the true numbers of lost clients. I personally do not think that the total number of guests who totally refuse to cruise on Seabourn will be all that many. Of course there will be some extra smokers who like Seabourns lenient smoking policy and book cruises.

Personally I can't stand smokers but at the end of the day smoking is not a deal breaker to me as I enjoy my Seabourn trips so much that I am quite happy to keep on booking and enjoy the fabulous product that they provide even with some smokers aboard.

I agree that notwithstanding the policy we will sail with Seabourn. BUT it means we do so knowing that we cannot go to the Observation Lounge. We tell anyone else thinking of sailing with Seabourn that this may be an issue for them. The smoker in an adjoining suite is a factor which affects the occasional cruise and one which we just hope we don't encounter. Where we have it's meant adapting to the use of the balcony. A bit pixxing off, but something that can happen.

One would hope that Seabourn will ultimately want to be seen as a socially and environmentally friendly line with regard for the welfare of their crew, as well as their guests.

We have pulled several 2014 cruises from SB. Smoking policy being the driving factor. That, in itself would not have driven us off. Add in a minor flaw or two and it has us looking at other options. It's a healthy relationship with SB and have no problem communicating. You could say they have lost over 200 days from us this year. Over 100 days taken out of their pocket + over 100 days booked with non Carnival competitors. It's the latter that should cause concern.

Playing devil's advocate, which I do only for the sake of argument (not because I believe the policy is correct) for everyone who has not booked a cruise with SB because of its smoking policy, how many have booked one because of it?

Playing devil's advocate, which I do only for the sake of argument (not because I believe the policy is correct) for everyone who has not booked a cruise with SB because of its smoking policy, how many have booked one because of it?

Some people need to get their own private yacht. They can then avoid all others who don't conform the their notion of an ideal.

L'infers, C'est les autres.

wripro- my guess is quite a few, sadly, since Seabourn now probably has the least restrictive policy.

The bottom line counts most with businesses.:( They will get there, in the end, but I wish it was sooner.

Some people need to get their own private yacht. They can then avoid all others who don't conform the their notion of an ideal.

L'infers, C'est les autres.

Superb idea! Put all the smokers on a private yacht :p;)

I take the view that as I have found Seabourn to be the best line by far that I continue to sail regularly with them.

As a non smoker I have never encountered a problem with smoke and smokers whilst on

A Seabourn trip.

I do stay away from the sky bar if there is anyone smoking and also the observation lounge.

There are plenty of other areas on the ship that I enjoy.

I think that it is easy for some posters to come on these boards and tell everyone why they are sailing with other lines but I sometimes think that they might not be sailing with any line very often.

I take the view that as I have found Seabourn to be the best line by far that I continue to sail regularly with them.

As a non smoker I have never encountered a problem with smoke and smokers whilst on

A Seabourn trip.

I do stay away from the sky bar if there is anyone smoking and also the observation lounge.

I think that it is easy for some posters to come on these boards and tell everyone why they are sailing with other lines but I sometimes think that they might not be sailing with any line very often.

But you are displaying a level of tolerance and common sense that is anathema to this particular topic. Please do try to be a bit more self-righteously indignant. Thank you.

I suppose that it is easy to come here as a Silversea sailor and complain about Seabourns smoking policy.

Have you sailed with Seabourn recently?

I do not like smoking or smokers on a ship or on land but have the common sense to give them a wide berth and not let them worry me or upset my vacation.

Others might let the smokers upset them and thus ruin the vacation.

We all have to get along, smokers and non smokers.

Edited by Mr Luxury

I suppose that it is easy to come here as a Silversea sailor and complain about Seabourns smoking policy.

No. I'm not complaining, merely despairing of the intolerance shown.

Have you sailed with Seabourn recently?

Not since December last year. Not that it's relevant.

I do not like smoking or smokers on a ship or on land but have the common sense to give them a wide berth and not let them worry me or upset my vacation.

Others might let the smokers upset them and thus ruin the vacation.

We all have to get along, smokers and non smokers.

Duh! I think that was the point I was making.

A Seabourn trip.

I agree with this comment.

While I would prefer not to take the gamble with smokers on the balcony I still prefer Seabourn to other cruises I have sailed on.

Though I might prefer a different smoking policy, I find I can avoid the smoke from smokers .................most of whom I find to be nice people :).............. just like I can avoid most other things I don't like.

For some context I have some Asthma issues so I am careful of the smoke because of this.

Julie

I agree with this comment.

While I would prefer not to take the gamble with smokers on the balcony I still prefer Seabourn to other cruises I have sailed on.

Though I might prefer a different smoking policy, I find I can avoid the smoke from smokers .................most of whom I find to be nice people :).............. just like I can avoid most other things I don't like.

For some context I have some Asthma issues so I am careful of the smoke because of this.

Julie

All it will take, I am sure, is one cruise with a chain-smoker on the veranda next door for you to change your mind. I for one am not going to spend $20k and play the smoker lottery. Other cruise lines give me much better odds.

Edited by kiawahdon

All it will take, I am sure, is one cruise with a chain-smoker on the veranda next door for you to change your mind. I for one am not going to spend $20k and play the smoker lottery. Other cruise lines give me much better odds.

As I said I would prefer no smoking on the balcony........however I have had a smoker next door to me and we just worked out a mutual arrangement and no stress. Or I go in an Ocean View Suite which works well while we have the little ships. :)

I would also prefer no smoking inside the Observation lounge at all but for now I only go for pre dinner drinks.

Having tried another luxury line and had other issues that I couldn't work around I found that harder to cope with.

I will still fill out the questionnaires and forms asking for tighter restrictions on smoking but for now I am still happy to sail with Seabourn.

MrLuxury,

I do exactly as you do. I hate smoking but not enough to keep me away from SB. So I stay away from the Sky bar at a certain times and I always arrive at the Observation Lounge early enough to get the booth furthest away from the smoking section. It's an inconvenience but I look at it as an excuse for an extra martini.

MrLuxury,

I do exactly as you do. I hate smoking but not enough to keep me away from SB. So I stay away from the Sky bar at a certain times and I always arrive at the Observation Lounge early enough to get the booth furthest away from the smoking section. It's an inconvenience but I look at it as an excuse for an extra martini.

Very sensible Henry,

We could all get carried away with the smoking issue if we let it.

So we all agree then,we do not like smoking but until Seabourn restrict it more we do our best to avoid the possibility of being inconvenienced whilst enjoying the best cruise experience afloat.

... and given how patient Seabourn's many loyal guests continue to be (as evidenced by the many active cruisers of this thread), it really can only be a matter of time that Seabourn acknowledges our forbearance and bans smoking in the Observation Bar and on balconies.

Under that scenario we will have a happy ending to this thread with its thousands and thousands of views.

Happy sailing!

I am as bothered by overpowering perfume as by smoke. What can be done to curb that? I think perhaps olfactory glands are not as sensitive as we age, which may explain the over dousing, but please, help!