Update on the new Seabourn smoking policy: Live from Quest

markham

Look, the intolerant will never meet the tolerant, by design.

We'll just have to steer clear of the intolerant 10%. However, that obviously means we can associate with the other 90.

When it comes to someone invading my space with second hand smoke I not only get intolerant, I can get downright hostile. I am thoroughly pi%#*€ at Seabourn for their smoking liaise afire policy. I desperately would like to cruise again with them, but will not until they come to their senses and enter the 21st century. I will also tell everyone I know how their policy can have a major negative impact on their cruise. Seabourn is friggin crazy in my opinion!!

Flame away.

Hmm, would it be prudent not to book cruise on a SMOKING SHIP? I can get downright hostile towards anyone that pushes an agenda that invades the rights of others when they know full well the Seabourn is . Smoking Allowed.

Question, are people just dense or are they promoting an agenda. I desperately would like to cruise several liners but because of a no smoking policy,i do not.

And my asthma acts up around smoke, so if it gets to the point of aggravation I do something radical- I move,lol.

Edited by livineasy

Seller sets the rules. It's not like we don't know the policy. Our response has been to cancel three bookings and go elsewhere. I don't understand why people keep buying a product that they want to change in a major way. Go away and come back when you're comfortable.

Innovation is product change driven by factors including demand and, in this case, compliance/convergence with the hospitality industry's standards due to health management considerations. (The risks to others from second hand smoke are indisputable, at least among medical professionals.)

Besides, banning smoking on balconies and in interior lounges is not major change. The "major" change was months ago when smoking was finally banned in cabins and in the Observation Bar before 20:00. And years before that smoking was banned in corridors, other lounges, dining rooms etc. So you see, change is an old and dependable friend.

Smokers are permitted to indulge their habits in a couple of locations such as the rear of the ship outside Seabourn Square and the starboard side of the Sky Bar. No change, major or otherwise, is being promoted or proposed on this thread, so far.

Personally, I like the product very much. That said, there is room for improvement.

Happy sailing!

Edited by markham

What makes cruising great is the multitude of choices.Smoke free, smoking, . While I may be forced to listen to an obnoxious drunk at my Captains Table dinner,I do not ask the ship to change its policy on alcohol because of one or several abusers.This would be wrong and certainly unreasonable.

But I have the choice to leave the table or suffer the barrage of incomprehensible statements coming from said over indulger.

There are alcohol free cruises , my choice.Society norms dictate that over consumption of alcohol is taboo nowadays.But using this argument to justify my complaint is, well, rather disingenuous.

I will only cruise a smoking ship as I prefer the smell of a good cigar and cigarette at certain times...I kind of miss it. I'm a closet non smoker for 20 years now.

Of course if any one would rather avoid smoke, they can wander the majority of the ships with the SB brand smoke free, or they can put them selves in the very limited space afforded smokers.

My preference is too do something radical, off the cuff, outrageous perhaps? When something bothers me and I had full knowledge before putting out my dime, the I remove myself from the offensive situation. Like step back off my deck or balcony.

I know crazy- personal responsibility.

Go figure!

Have never been on Seabourn but we are considering them for a trip next year, which will probably be about 25 nights.

I have no problem with smokers having their own area to go to but I have a real problem with being able to smoke on the balcony. Can you see booking a 25 night trip only to have the person next door smoke on their balcony the entire time?? We just can't.

So no Seabourn for us.

WOW..............I am flabbergasted at the unmitigated arrogance of your post especially the last line..............

Why are you making this about "class" as in lower/middle/upper? It's clearly NOT about that but you keep using that to try to defend your point. I get it. You are a rich guy. So why are you in this fight about smokers rights? It's becoming clear that you have other issues about society/government in general that are driving this. Please share with us your esteemed view of world order....as you feel it should be.

I agree, I am also flabbergasted by his comments,but I dont think he is 'a rich guy ' from his comments about class I think he just wishes he was rich !!

Hurt my feelings? I think not!!

We have heard your thoughts on the subject and reject them on the basis of your framing it as a class issue driven by the "have nots".

NOW...........

Back to your "bubble" in Mexico where even modest retirement incomes can afford the "feeling" of wealth and superiority................L O L

SM

http://www.gallup.com/poll/105550/among-americans-smoking-decreases-income-increases.aspx

and from cdc

Smoking prevalence generally decreased with increasing education and was higher among adults living below the poverty level (28.9%) than among those at or above the poverty level (18.3%).

and this can work too http://static.uglyhedgehog.com/upload/2013/4/5/1365211015172-troll_spray4.jpg

Have never been on Seabourn but we are considering them for a trip next year, which will probably be about 25 nights.

I have no problem with smokers having their own area to go to but I have a real problem with being able to smoke on the balcony. Can you see booking a 25 night trip only to have the person next door smoke on their balcony the entire time?? We just can't.

So no Seabourn for us.

We have also looked at Seabourn many times but also passed for same reason

So no Seabourn for us.

We have also looked at Seabourn many times but also passed for same reason

If you are very sensitive to smoke, then you should probably wait until SB changes its policy, if ever. We had a smoker on the balcony next to us for 68 days on the Sojourn, and she kept us from using our balcony many times, and I am not overly-sensitive. It was just very unpleasant. The smoke really does drift from balcony to balcony.

Besides, banning smoking on balconies and in interior lounges is not major change.

Really? This is preposterous, illogical and insulting to anyone with even a modicum of intelligence. Look, we get the fact that there's a rabid anti-smoking campaign by the 10% here. But as I've said, you're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

There will not soon be agreement between the anti-smoking extremists and the smoking tolerant here, or anywhere else. However, one thing is crystal clear - Seabourn doesn't agree with the extremists. Let that sink in now. Seabourn doesn't agree with the extremists. If they did, you'd have your way, period.

So, as also has been said, do what I and others frequently do, vote with your feet my friend.

Oh, and inexplicably attempting to declare victory didn't work for Sadam Hussein and won't work here either.

A possible compromise! Anyone booking as a smoker must advise at booking, and anyone offered a suite next to them has the option to decline. Similarly, a smoker can't book a suite next to someone who has declared themselves non-smokers. If they don't book as a smoker then they can't smoke at all. Still not as good as no smoking!! Still leaves the staff with the issue of cleaning after they vacate.

Oh Zich,

Calm down before you cause yourself injury!

I don't befriend extremists and so... I hope you can guess the rest.

Happy sailing!

Never been calmer. As usual you have no intelligent reply.

You are one of the extremists.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/105550/among-americans-smoking-decreases-income-increases.aspx

and from cdc

Smoking prevalence generally decreased with increasing education and was higher among adults living below the poverty level (28.9%) than among those at or above the poverty level (18.3%).

and this can work too http://static.uglyhedgehog.com/upload/2013/4/5/1365211015172-troll_spray4.jpg

I only smoke cigars. Are you saying that Churchill, and countless US, European, as well as Aussie leaders are uneducated?