Update on the new Seabourn smoking policy: Live from Quest

markham

Patnlcc,

I have a 2015 cruise booked for February.

Happy sailing!

Hi Markham

Will it be the Sojourn?

We are doing Sojourn Cape Town to Singapore then Singapore to Singapore - 30 days then 40 days.

Good to meet up again if you are.

Vance & Helen

I agree with everything you say. I was playing devil's advocate! We are very much looking forward to our first SB cruise and hope the smoking issue won't make it our last.

we LOVED all the rest of ship,cruise,etc.As I have stated,but this issue has caused us to move to other luxury,and premium lines in the past 3 yrs.We even have OBC not used.A REP from SB called about that and I said,when you change the smoking policy I ll be back.

Hoping it will be since I want to book one for early 2016.;)

for many of us,that has NOT BEEN FIXED.

The smoke from them easily goes right into the next one.Also, a real fire hazard,I fear.

Almost rather have smoking in room,can close balcony door and KEEP it in there that way.Just smells after. Sorry, nothing personal.

I agree with you. Smoking on the verandahs is a much bigger problem for the neighbors than smoking in the suite or even out on decks 9 and 7. If your verandah is down wind from the smoker then you get it all and it can make your verandah unusable at times.

Adventurans - yes I am afraid you can! At present, anyway. Most people hope that this also gets banned as soon as possible;we have had a smoker next door, every time I went out to sit so did she for a cigarette, and sadly drove me in. I also think it will be worse now that smoking in suites is not allowed. Sorry to sound like a fusspot, but I really really hate the smell.

I'd like to post an opposing view to most of those posted here. Seabourn's restrictive smoking policy has historically kept my husband and me from booking with them. We have previously sailed numerous times on Silversea and in Queens Gill on QM2. My husband enjoys relaxing in the evening with a pipe or cigar. At least on those other lines, although their policies have as well become more restrictive over the years, they have indoor lounges specifically designed and designated for smokers such as him. On Seabourn he would only be able to smoke in limited areas outside. That is why we will continue to sail on those other lines. We have also started enjoying more land-based vacations, such as renting apartments in Rome and Paris that permit smoking.

As Seabourn does not offer smoking lounges and you apparently do not like the idea of smoking out of doors, you do not have much choice as to where your husband would smoke.

Therefore, your choice for Cunard, Silversea or land based vacations over Seabourn is sensible and also suits those of us who do not smoke or wish to be near those that do. As I said earlier, this is all about health!

Happy sailing on those other lines!

A thought I did have before my last post was that the new ship could incorporate a hermetically sealed (!) lounge for smokers - probably it is now too late unless it has already been thought of by the powers that be. And then ban smoking on verandahs, if not before.

A thought I did have before my last post was that the new ship could incorporate a hermetically sealed (!) lounge for smokers - probably it is now too late unless it has already been thought of by the powers that be. And then ban smoking on verandahs, if not before.

I'm ignoring the advice from someone very wise who posts here regularly about not posting on smoking threads but haven't ships fires been caused by passengers/crew smoking on balconies and open decks?

I'm ignoring the advice from someone very wise who posts here regularly about not posting on smoking threads but haven't ships fires been caused by passengers/crew smoking on balconies and open decks?

Yes, specifically from a verandah to verandah in this case:

06-03-starprincess-burnt.jpg

Emperor Norton,

That is an amazing photo. Lest anyone forget.

And so, in the spirit of recognising and acknowledging a compelling message when I see one:

"It's all about the facts and about health!"

Happy sailing in a safe environment!

Just like dress code the smoking policies on cruise lines are a process of evolution. It's only a matter of time before smoking will be disallowed in all public and private areas on ships except for one or two outdoors specifically designated for it. I think that in five years there will be no smoking and no tuxedoes. Now if we could only get people to stop having kids!!!!! (That's a joke for those who are ready to pounce!)

Actually, my husband has had several allergy issues with e-cigarettes. He is allergic to most perfumes and the "flavors" used are often similar to some of the ones that can bring on an allergic reaction.

We were on a cruise in October and he had an attack in a bar where there was no smoking, but someone was smoking an e-cig.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if the crew smoking policy has changed, as in certain areas of the Odyssey, including some corridors, the smell of smoke was unpleasant.

I so appreciate these Cruise Critic Boards! Had been considering a voyage on Odyssey and since we no longer sail some lines due to our unhappiness with cigarette smoke, I turned to CC for insight. Smoking allowed on balcony? Stench in the corridors? This became an easy decision; afraid I'll be staying away from Seabourn until their smoking policies become more restrictive.:(

I so appreciate these Cruise Critic Boards! Had been considering a voyage on Odyssey and since we no longer sail some lines due to our unhappiness with cigarette smoke, I turned to CC for insight. Smoking allowed on balcony? Stench in the corridors? This became an easy decision; afraid I'll be staying away from Seabourn until their smoking policies become more restrictive.:(

You'll find information about the smoking policy on the Seabourn web site. I just reviewed it to refresh my memory. For the Odyssey, smoking will continue to be allowed in the Observation Bar after 8:00, which may can be an issue depending upon who shows up after 8:00. On our recent Sojourn trip, Observation pretty much emptied out by 8:00 as everyone had gone to dinner. And smoking is allowed on cabin verandahs, so one runs the risk of having smoke float in from a neighbor's verandah. This indeed did happen to us on a recent Sojourn trip. We unfortunately had chain-smoking neighbors.

As we are ending this cruise, the first of Quest with the new smoking policy, I want to update everyone about the impact it has had.

There is no smoking permitted in the Observation Bar at all before 20:00 and even then it is now restricted to the port side side (away from the pianist too.) On the few occasions I have visited late no one was smoking after 20:00.

There is no smoke smell in the corridors since smoking in the cabins is now banned.

While smoking is permitted near the Sky Bar (outside) on the starboard side as usual, no pipe or cigar smoking is permitted there. I have seen some who flout the rules and hope that Seabourn clamps down. Their website states this is only permitted onboard behind the Square on the open deck where there are 3 ash trays and the starboard side of the outdoors deck of deck 5.

I expect and hope that in time Seabourn will finally ban all smoking indoors.

Happy cruising!

Thank you for this update. Does seaborne ban smoking on the balconies?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sadly, and as mentioned by tv24, Seabourn continues to allow smoking on cabin verandas.

Why in the world non-smokers who simply want to enjoy their verandas should have to put up with carcinogenic smoke from a nearby veranda is beyond me.

Happy sailing (and let's hope you are lucky with your neighbours on their verandas)!

Edited by markham

because I found a cruise I REALLY want to take,but not till early 2016.Hoping they ll CHANGE this balcony smoking thing by then.

Everything else about it would be GREAT,and Im so unhappy I may have to look elsewhere.

Think management listens or reads these negative comments.Know other lines do and respond,,SEABOURN??:confused::confused:

because I found a cruise I REALLY want to take,but not till early 2016.Hoping they ll CHANGE this balcony smoking thing by then.

Everything else about it would be GREAT,and Im so unhappy I may have to look elsewhere.

Think management listens or reads these negative comments.Know other lines do and respond,,SEABOURN??:confused::confused:

2016 Seabourn -where did you find that sailing posted? Please share as Seabourn.com only goes out to 10/2015. Really. Just checked...

Could you possibly provide a link to where you found a 2016 schedule? I don't see one anywhere that I look. I was not aware that this info was available yet. Thanks

I found a Australia cruise for 2015 that I WANT to take in 2016(assuming they still have it and would be the same).Didn't mean to confuse anyone,since I DONT have any access to that,would be great though.

Also,posted on another thread whether CC could post a new,updated cruiseline smoking policy.This way I must look at itinerary,THEN check smoking policy on every line.Of course, would double check BEFORE ,but gives you some idea where to start.