any one else not pre-selected for dining on quantum?

I was selected for the test booking period and completed my reservations today. I was called at 2:30 pm EDT on Monday the 31st of March.

I am not D/D+ and am not in a suite. I travel solo on the QOS sailing. I have a history of frequent dining packages and bookings in the Chef's Table on almost every sailing where available. I am booked in a 'new SB " category.

I called back to the 'Quantum Dining' number direct and they had been trained on the booking process and were dedicated to this task now.

It is clearly stated in text and in their training that Coastal Kitchen is solely for those booked in JS or higher and their 'limited' guests in linked reservations.

As I had read posts on CC about the Coastal Kitchen, I was prepared to book it if allowed to do so.

The call started with a verification of all my details, cabin number and cabin type and C&A status. She said I was the first non-D+/D she personally had spoken with.

I asked to book the Coastal Kitchen for the first night and she replied, "Coastal Kitchen is only available to JS and above and not even D/D+ C&A members"

I then mentioned that it had been reported that they had opened this up to those of us selected to book early. She did notice that the system would allow her to book it, but she had been trained otherwise.

She sent an email to a supervisor and we went ahead and booked all my other reservations. I dine late and got everything I wanted on the first try. She did find some errors in the process (typos) and it was obvious that was one of the reasons they had opened this process. It was to make sure the system was not flawed prior to opening it to everyone and was a test run.

As I was paying for my Specialty Dining choices, she received a reply from the supervisor stating "CK is open ONLY to JS and above suite passengers" there was a notation. *CK may open to PINNACLE members in the future, but not at this time.

I just called to check and wasn't selected. Royal Caribbean is certainly not doing itself any good. They have enough people annoyed about various aspects of Dynamic Dining. Then they go and open it early for select people. Then on top of that those select people can book a free restaurant that the rest of us can't later. I really didn't care about the preselected booking because I want to know my shows first, but the Coastal Kitchen thing is really annoying me. My main complaint about Dynamic Dining is the lack of menu choices and adding a 5th restaurant would have helped that. Making a suite only venue is kind of dumb but not unheard of, but to then open it to some and not others is just wrong IMO. Really poor move here.

I just called to check and wasn't selected. Royal Caribbean is certainly not doing itself any good. They have enough people annoyed about various aspects of Dynamic Dining. Then they go and open it early for select people. Then on top of that those select people can book a free restaurant that the rest of us can't later.

Select implies favored. I would say 'random people' instead. I think the prebookers are randomized based on some criteria they find useful (maybe direct bookers who eat at least one specialty per cruise). It's apparently a very small sample. Whether it's 800 or 8000, that is far less than the at least 108,000 people who will be travelling during that time.

They are just seeing what works. I fully expect to be kicked out of Coastal because I am booked in a D that particular cruise.

It is clearly stated in text and in their training that Coastal Kitchen is solely for those booked in JS or higher and their 'limited' guests in linked reservations.

As I had read posts on CC about the Coastal Kitchen, I was prepared to book it if allowed to do so.

The call started with a verification of all my details, cabin number and cabin type and C&A status. She said I was the first non-D+/D she personally had spoken with.

I asked to book the Coastal Kitchen for the first night and she replied, "Coastal Kitchen is only available to JS and above and not even D/D+ C&A members"

I then mentioned that it had been reported that they had opened this up to those of us selected to book early. She did notice that the system would allow her to book it, but she had been trained otherwise.

She sent an email to a supervisor and we went ahead and booked all my other reservations. I dine late and got everything I wanted on the first try. She did find some errors in the process (typos) and it was obvious that was one of the reasons they had opened this process. It was to make sure the system was not flawed prior to opening it to everyone and was a test run.

As I was paying for my Specialty Dining choices, she received a reply from the supervisor stating "CK is open ONLY to JS and above suite passengers" there was a notation. *CK may open to PINNACLE members in the future, but not at this time.

I too called a short while ago and was selected to pre book for both my sailings Nov 23 and for April 12. I only booked dining for the Nov 23 sailing and also asked about Coastal Kitchen and was told the same as MADflyer reported above. We are linked reservations with a couple who are in a JS and when they go to do their bookings they can add us to the booking/reservation as guests for Coastal Kitchen. They will do so on one evening and so I will at least get to experience the menu there.

I was also able to get my first choice for all dining venues. I did say to her it was too far ahead to book for April and she encouraged me to do so as times were going fast..whatever that meant. Can't imagine times completely disappearing.

I have no horse in this race, as I have no bookings on Quantum, but I think it's a good thing they are testing out the system with a limited capacity prior to the May rollout.

The purpose of this soft launch is to find as many bugs as possible in a production software environment prior to rolling it out to the general public. You can't put the software through a reliable test without having enough test cases, and that is generated by having a small but not insignifcant number of people to put it through its paces.

And they have found some bugs, like the Coastal Kitchen non-suite bug, which I'd consider pretty major. Better to be discovered now than in 6 weeks when the system opens to the Quantum-booked public.

this is exactly what I was worried about. from emmy's post

"I did say to her it was too far ahead to book for April and she encouraged me to do so as times were going fast..whatever that meant. Can't imagine times completely disappearing."

I don't know if I should hope for the best or start looking for an alternate cruise now. The ship is amazing. It has bumper cars. I have royal caribbean points I need to use because they are going to expire. (60,000) So I feel I have to go on cruise. I just don't know if the stress is worth it. I would be so disappointed if I couldn't sample each restaurant at least once and I don't want to be eating at 9:00 every night. I also don't want be doing a formal night in the caribbean. I want to do it on the two cold nights going down and coming back.

advice please??

I really do not think times are going fast. I think that times are being limited during this period so what you are concerned about does not happen. Wait for dining to open, or perhaps you'll have the opportunity to book early, and see then how it goes. You still have plenty of time to cancel if you think that's the right thing.

this is exactly what I was worried about. from emmy's post

"I did say to her it was too far ahead to book for April and she encouraged me to do so as times were going fast..whatever that meant. Can't imagine times completely disappearing."

I don't know if I should hope for the best or start looking for an alternate cruise now. The ship is amazing. It has bumper cars. I have royal caribbean points I need to use because they are going to expire. (60,000) So I feel I have to go on cruise. I just don't know if the stress is worth it. I would be so disappointed if I couldn't sample each restaurant at least once and I don't want to be eating at 9:00 every night. I also don't want be doing a formal night in the caribbean. I want to do it on the two cold nights going down and coming back.

advice please??

I wouldn't cancel just yet. Just hang in and see what happens on May 15 when booking opens up to everyone. It may all work out fine and you would have cancelled a cruise you really want to do for nothing. I know patience is difficult, but it's too early to cancel because you MAY not get the dining you want.

I called today as I have a November sailing on Quantum and was told I was not part of the pre-selected group. I am quite nervous about the more 'freestyle' concept but I trust RCCL to get it better than NCL. As others have said, I hope when they say that times are running out that it's because they have only released a small percentage of availability.

This is my first time booking on a cruise ship so early in its existence, and I'm sure that they will make changes from these early cruises to subsequent ones so I'm okay being a bit of a guinea pig as long as it doesn't screw me over too much!

I did say to her it was too far ahead to book for April and she encouraged me to do so as times were going fast..whatever that meant. Can't imagine times completely disappearing.

I think that is an irresponsible statement. It just gets people worried for nothing.

No way they have released all or most of the reservation times. Only a small sampling is able to book now.

Can you imagine having a new dining program where most people cannot book a dining time? That would be beyond ridiculous.

Can you imagine having a new dining program where most people cannot book a dining time? That would be beyond ridiculous.

Well, it is possible. That would be called a failure.

I'm not expecting a failure.

I think that is an irresponsible statement. It just gets people worried for nothing.

No way they have released all or most of the reservation times. Only a small sampling is able to book now.

Sorry I repeated it. Should have kept that to myself but I in no way feel it is true. I know they save dining slots as I have experienced that first hand on my many specialty dining experiences on Oasis. The person that said it to me was from the D+ desk not the agent actually doing the bookings.

Pre-selected for all Q's cruises listed or certain early cruises? When the booking opens up on May 15th is there a lead time between date of cruise and dining reservations. I read on one of the posts that there will be a 6 mos. timeframe. Presently there is a 50 days lag on all non-Q ships. What are the rules or is RCL winging it.

I hope what is happening is that they released maybe 5% of bookings to setup dining now and only opened 5% of the slots per venue so that no time slot could actually be filled beyond what should be possible for the number of available. I'm not completely sure what they are testing though. It seems like the website and app would be the two places with the biggest concern and most to test but neither are being tested. I would imagine they could have tested the agent side of the system internally without opening anything up. I work in IT and we do that kind of testing all the time, it's the user side you can never fully test for every scenario.

I received a call from RC and though I am only Diamond was able to make my dinner reservations for both the inaugural and my March booking. Not sure why I was selected early as I usually book a JS but am booked in an SB for both of these cruises. I am also a Club Royale member, so that and being a solo cruiser may have had something to do with it. I had no trouble getting my requested seating and time in each of the restaurants I chose for both cruises.

I hope what is happening is that they released maybe 5% of bookings to setup dining now and only opened 5% of the slots per venue so that no time slot could actually be filled beyond what should be possible for the number of available. I'm not completely sure what they are testing though.

I would think they want to know which restaurants are being booked the most, which times, and if people are choosing specialty some nights.

I would think they want to know which restaurants are being booked the most, which times, and if people are choosing specialty some nights.

It's just a test run of their software. The software is brand new so I'm sure it needs tweaks. I would guess DEIx is probably correct in that they are only taking a very limited capacity for each venue per time slot. It might be something like 5-10% per venue per timeslot.

So for those saying, "I wanted this time, but it's already sold out.", I would call back on May 15th and ask for the time again, because it'll likely be open again. And for those not pre-selected like myself, don't fret just yet.

So for those saying, "I wanted this time, but it's already sold out.", I would call back on May 15th and ask for the time again, because it'll likely be open again. And for those not pre-selected like myself, don't fret just yet.

Even when I was booking and there was only 1 time slot that I didn't want, the agent said, 'let me put it through and then check back and see if more times come up'. (but nothing more came up at the time) I just took the time slot and figure I will change it later when more slots open up.

I'm going to call and see if we can do it. We're booked in April and we are Diamond. I did notice that on our cruise, there are 2 days that we leave ports very late, like 11pm. Just wondering if we will be out later than dinner time those night, have to figure that one out. Maybe I'll just book anyway and cancel as I firm up our plans closer to the trip.

I too called a short while ago and was selected to pre book for both my sailings Nov 23 and for April 12. I only booked dining for the Nov 23 sailing and also asked about Coastal Kitchen and was told the same as MADflyer reported above. We are linked reservations with a couple who are in a JS and when they go to do their bookings they can add us to the booking/reservation as guests for Coastal Kitchen..

Due to persistent posts on the roll-call of my sailing on Quantum that non-suite guests were being allowed to book, I called back.

While the agent was informing me of the same information I had received yesterday another agent overheard the nature of the call. She asked me to hold as new information was just now being made available.

They are allowing bookings for non-suite guest now in Coastal Kitchen.

I am not sure if this is only through the 6th of April as previously reported or not. I did not want anyone to miss out do to my posting what I was told yesterday when I booked all my other reservations.

When companies test reservations systems and the like or even do focus groups or test panels for product development, it is not unusual to offer an 'incentive' to those involved.

I was very happy to book one evening in the Coastal Kitchen.

I received "the call" also..We are on the April 24, 2015 sailing....a ways off. Able to book grande, American Icon, Silk, Chic and Coastal Kitchen (twice) all at our 545 pm time. We are Diamond but in a balcony room for this cruise. Coastal Kitchen is complimentary to jr suites and above but any one can book it for a fee. It is not an exclusive restaurant for the "rich and famous"! It appears no different than if I were to book Chops or Chefs Table.....make a reservation, pay the fee. We were not asked to pay when I booked Coastal Kitchen, but will pay if required later. Maybe they are testing the system to see what fills up, as someone mentioned earlier. Maybe the selection was random to get a true sampling of their guests. I think it is funny how some get really P O'd that someone is able to book before them. The lady I talked to indicated there were lots of times/spaces to book. I feel sorry for R.C.I., they can't win for trying something new!