Recent concierge lounge experience

OP, I am sorry this happened to you. Before we made D+, we took a long cruise in a GS. A few D+'s treated us as interlopers in "their" lounge, though not quite so rudely as your experience. we did get the "bought your way in" comment from one d+, who asserted that she "earned it the hard way". (I see nothing hard about being a passenger on a cruise ship, but maybe they made her wash dishes;)). We just moved on and enjoyed the cruise, the suite and the perks.

We are now D+. I know the CL was designed for suite guests, and none of them will ever get such lip from me. As experienced cruisers D+ members can choose to interact positively with suite guests. They can choose to be almost ambassadors for the cruise line to less experienced (but perhaps well heeled) cruisers. I believe if D+ guests select this route, the company is more likely to continue to allow CL access to D+. Those who cannot be ambassorial could at least be polite to suite guests. If a substantial numbers if suite guests complain about rude or unwelcoming behavior by D+'s, the company will take note, and may cost D+'s in the end (including the best behaved D+'s).

Edited by Starry Eyes

The CL is really for suites guests.

NOT SO!

Maybe that was the case years and years ago, but this is the present. The present rules are quite simple. THE CL IS FOR SUITES, PINNACLES AND D+.

That is the determination Royal Caribbean has made. Period.

Neither Suite guests, P or D+ now have more of a claim on the lounge than any other. If RCCL decides to change that in the future, so be it. But for now, the lounge is rightfully open to Gold, P and D+.

As for rude behavior, as I said before, it is a matter of rude individuals, not rude classes of people. There are as many rude suites guest proportionately as there are rude Ps and Ds. To stereotype is silly!

Edited by yogimax

Thank you. Couldn't have said it better.

I concur!

It takes all kinds for sure. :p This thread has some great insight for some who might not have considered these "issues."

The behavior of the lady in the lounge (and her not ~so~subtle~snub~) reminded me of Middle School "drama." I find it humorous and wondered how I might have dealt with the same issue. :cool:

I remind my children often: Class cannot be purchased (at any price or level achieved)

We sail next week with 3 generations for a family vacation and are very much looking forward to it. :D

I cannot imagine spending the extra money for a suite just to get a few free drinks. the amount of money those drinks would cost you would never total the difference between say a GS and a standard balcony. We cruise Royal not because we earn points but because we like this cruise line. The points are just an extra nice perk. Someday we may be "entitled" to use the CL based on our number of days or we strike it rich and only stay in suites.

I concur!

It takes all kinds for sure. :p This thread has some great insight for some who might not have considered these "issues."

The behavior of the lady in the lounge (and her not ~so~subtle~snub~) reminded me of Middle School "drama." I find it humorous and wondered how I might have dealt with the same issue. :cool:

I remind my children often: Class cannot be purchased (at any price or level achieved)

We sail next week with 3 generations for a family vacation and are very much looking forward to it. :D

Ha! Yes. I would actually be thanking my lucky stars that that lady showed her true colors and is not going near me anymore. I wouldn't want to be associated with someone like that (and having everyone else assuming I was just like her). Keep her away!

for others who may be searching for info....

this is directly off the Royal Caribbean site:

Elimination of Concierge Lounge access for Diamond Crown & Anchor members

Much has been written about our decision to restrict the number of guests with access to the Concierge Lounge. Our desire to deliver a great guest experience drove this decision. We cannot adequately handle the volume of Diamond, Diamond Plus and Suite guests who currently have access to the Concierge Lounge on 10 of our 20 ships (Mariner, Navigator, Adventure, Explorer, Voyager, Jewel, Serenade, Brilliance, Radiance and Enchantment — these are the ships that have a Concierge Lounge but do not have a Diamond Lounge. Freedom, Liberty and Independence have both Diamond and Concierge Lounges; the other seven ships have neither). On approximately 60% of the sailings on these ships we need to set up a satellite lounge due to the overcrowding.

In order to optimize the use of the available space in the Concierge Lounges, we will offer access to the Concierge Lounge to Diamond Plus and Suite guests (suite categories consisting of Grand Suites and above) as of the sailings of September 1st. For sailings post-September 1st, we will create a dedicated VIP-type environment for Diamond members in a public lounge every night of each cruise on all 17 ships that do not have a Diamond Lounge. We will also create an opportunity each morning for Diamond guests to receive concierge-type services and continental breakfast.

We understand this is an important change as compared to having access to a dedicated lounge on the 10 ships in question. Our people will do their best to make it an enjoyable nightly experience. Also, this will be an enhancement on the 7 ships that do not have a Concierge Lounge. This is a service enhancement for Diamond Plus and Suite guests and a service reduction for Diamond guests. Many Diamond guests have asked us to grandfather the existing Diamond members. Unfortunately this would guarantee the perpetuation of the crowding problem we must alleviate. In addition, many Diamond guests have asked us to continue to provide a full range of free beverages in the evening in the designated public lounge. We are not comfortable to do so in that setting.

I realize this is not a small change, and I apologize to our affected Diamond members. We will work hard to make the new program as beneficial as possible and a proper recognition of the great loyalty our guests demonstrate to us.

safe and happy sailing to all!

Edited by double lime

I cannot imagine spending the extra money for a suite just to get a few free drinks.

the amount of money those drinks would cost you would never total the difference between say a GS and a standard balcony. We cruise Royal not because we earn points but because we like this cruise line. The points are just an extra nice perk. Someday we may be "entitled" to use the CL based on our number of days or we strike it rich and only stay in suites.

Absolutely!

Two weeks ago I sailed on Serenade with my daughter and 6 year old granddaughter. We went to the CL almost every night. Several people commented about how well behaved my granddaughter was. We also went with her to Chops and also received good comments. She has been sailing a couple times a year since she was three. We try to teach her proper behavior. Have a great cruise with your family:)

I cannot imagine spending the extra money for a suite just to get a few free drinks. the amount of money those drinks would cost you would never total the difference between say a GS and a standard balcony. We cruise Royal not because we earn points but because we like this cruise line. The points are just an extra nice perk. Someday we may be "entitled" to use the CL based on our number of days or we strike it rich and only stay in suites.

If that's the only reason someone gets a suite, then you're absolutely right, but there's lots of reasons to sail in a suite. :)

Typically, we get a standard balcony, but this next time, as a special treat, my wife and I are going in a Grand Suite. We budgeted for it for lots of reasons. Not only do you get the free drinks (not a big deal, but clearly a nice perk), you get more room (which matters more if you enjoy spending time in your room and on the balcony, and my wife does), you get preferred seating by the pool and in the theater, special dining areas for breakfast and lunch (not as a snob thing, it's just less crowded and a more pleasant dining experience) and you get a concierge, who helps out in a number of ways. You can book your excursions, get specialty restaurant or spa reservations, and get ice show tickets without standing in any lines, etc. all through your concierge.

If those things (not just the drinks) are worth the money to you, then a suite is a great idea! :)

And on the original topic, I have to say, that experience would give me a good laugh. I would tease them about it. Anyone who gets their self esteem from putting others down for any reason is pretty sad, but justifying it based on whether someone is a frequent cruiser or a suite guest is sad and silly.

Edited by theotherchad
clarity

As many have said, it is my belief that the rude behavior of these kind of people is more about their own feelings of inadequacy. These are probably the same people who go to the a restaurant in their town and walk past the other patrons who are waiting and expect to be immediately seated. They are just rude people - not really rude because they are in the concierge lounge or rude because they are a certain C&A level or rude because they are on a cruise ship. These are just small, shallow people who want to think that they are better than someone else, and for whatever reason, or whatever circumstance - they WANT to feel like they are more deserving than everyone else.

I'm just a Platinum level... I book the best room that I can afford for my vacation and make the most of whatever benefits are included or at my disposal. I certainly wouldn't spend a ton more money on a room for a couple of free drinks... However, knowing that it would 'piss off' some snooty old bee-atch in the CL, might make it worth it. LOL!

Edited by SnappyNappi

I doubt that many suite guests book those cabins just for free drinks. The accomodations are far nicer than in a standard cabin, and there are other perks that go along with a full suite as well. We spend a fair amount of time in our cabin, and like to have our surroundings be as comfortable as possible. Sometimes the full suites are priced very nicely so we treat ourselves to a touch of luxury.

And I really can't imagine somebody cruising Royal because they don't like the line but want to get points.

for others who may be searching for info....

this is directly off the Royal Caribbean site:

Elimination of Concierge Lounge access for Diamond Crown & Anchor members

Much has been written about our decision to restrict the number of guests with access to the Concierge Lounge. Our desire to deliver a great guest experience drove this decision. We cannot adequately handle the volume of Diamond, Diamond Plus and Suite guests who currently have access to the Concierge Lounge on 10 of our 20 ships (Mariner, Navigator, Adventure, Explorer, Voyager, Jewel, Serenade, Brilliance, Radiance and Enchantment — these are the ships that have a Concierge Lounge but do not have a Diamond Lounge. Freedom, Liberty and Independence have both Diamond and Concierge Lounges; the other seven ships have neither). On approximately 60% of the sailings on these ships we need to set up a satellite lounge due to the overcrowding.

In order to optimize the use of the available space in the Concierge Lounges, we will offer access to the Concierge Lounge to Diamond Plus and Suite guests (suite categories consisting of Grand Suites and above) as of the sailings of September 1st. For sailings post-September 1st, we will create a dedicated VIP-type environment for Diamond members in a public lounge every night of each cruise on all 17 ships that do not have a Diamond Lounge. We will also create an opportunity each morning for Diamond guests to receive concierge-type services and continental breakfast.

We understand this is an important change as compared to having access to a dedicated lounge on the 10 ships in question. Our people will do their best to make it an enjoyable nightly experience. Also, this will be an enhancement on the 7 ships that do not have a Concierge Lounge. This is a service enhancement for Diamond Plus and Suite guests and a service reduction for Diamond guests. Many Diamond guests have asked us to grandfather the existing Diamond members. Unfortunately this would guarantee the perpetuation of the crowding problem we must alleviate. In addition, many Diamond guests have asked us to continue to provide a full range of free beverages in the evening in the designated public lounge. We are not comfortable to do so in that setting.

I realize this is not a small change, and I apologize to our affected Diamond members. We will work hard to make the new program as beneficial as possible and a proper recognition of the great loyalty our guests demonstrate to us.

safe and happy sailing to all!

Thank you, but that has to be from about 2009 - I'm surprised that it's still floating around on the website (not really). Diamonds haven't had access to the CL for years, but RCI has built DLs on its new builds and is adding them to ships that don't already have them.

I did not stay in a GS "for the free drinks". I booked a JS originally and a week prior to cruising the prices dropped very significantly - there was also a Senior discount of $800 so it made it a very easy decision. The price difference from what I paid was not too much.

I LOVE the extra space and all the perks that go with it. Yes I enjoy the CL but that is not the only reason.

I have a balcony booked in June and if by chance the prices go down, I would upgrade in a heartbeat.

I was chatting with good friends this weekend who had an interesting experience on their last cruise in the D/L. They generally went to the lounge before dinner to meet up with the other people they were sailing with.

On one evening as they were sitting and looking for their friends to arrive they spotted a couple off to the side -- with the lady's head in the mans crouch. They were into serious activity, but my friend went over to the hostess to discuss what should be done. When the hostess went to the couple to suggest that they return to their cabin, she got no response at all -- they just continued. By this point the rest of my friends party had arrived and they were leaving. The hostess was calling down to guest services to get some assistance/advice as to what to do. Guest services was coming up to handle the situation. When my friends ran into the hostess, later that evening -- the hostess told them that when the senior member of the Guest Services staff arrived, the couple were found 'passed out in their positions'. They found some room dividers and put them around the area the couple was in. The hostess recognized them from other evenings they had come to the D/L, so Guest Services told the hostess to have a conversation with them 'the next time they came to the lounge' about appropriate activities for the lounge.

Well let's be honest here. The fact that RC by design has created a reward program for loyalty is the biggest issue. Unfortunately, it's the weak of mind and character that some use this loyalty program use and twist it as a "Class" of person/people/passenger.

I don't know if I'll ever make the Diamond status, if I do, I damn sure hope I don't become one of the weak.

We have met many people who only sail in interior (i.e., cheaper) cabins so they can reach Diamond and Diamond+ status quicker. We don't care when we reach a certain "level", we cruise because we like it and we normally cruise in a suite because I like having a bathtub :D So, some folks who might be flaunting the whole "I'm a Diamond+ member are the same folks would never fork over the money for a suite???" interesting ;)

So, some folks who might be flaunting the whole "I'm a Diamond+ member are the same folks would never fork over the money for a suite???" interesting ;)

Suites accumulate points at twice the rate. I wonder if once you factor in ALL vacation costs (flights, insurance, taxes, gratuities, pre/post cruise stay, parking, pet sitting, etc., so on and so forth) if taking the suite to get the points is not actually the more cost effective way to reach a certain level faster.

In that regards I would say staying in a regular balcony or lower category is "doing it the hard way." In some cases the TOTAL cost of a cruise in a suite can be more than 2X, but certainly not always.

If someone has achieved D+ and has access to the CL why does it matter what cabin they are in?

Suites accumulate points at twice the rate. I wonder if once you factor in ALL vacation costs (flights, insurance, taxes, gratuities, pre/post cruise stay, parking, pet sitting, etc., so on and so forth) if taking the suite to get the points is not actually the more cost effective way to reach a certain level faster.

In that regards I would say staying in a regular balcony or lower category is "doing it the hard way." In some cases the TOTAL cost of a cruise in a suite can be more than 2X, but certainly not always.

If someone has achieved D+ and has access to the CL why does it matter what cabin they are in?

That's what I am saying :) I saw a post where it appeared that one couple was nice in the CL until they found out that the first couple was not a "Diamond+" but had access to the CLbecause they were in a suite. I don't get the whole "I've reached D+ status and therefore I am better than anyone else" NOT saying everyone does that; however from some of the posts I have read, some folks do and, well, that is just wrong, on so many levels :D

That's what I am saying :) I saw a post where it appeared that one couple was nice in the CL until they found out that the first couple was not a "Diamond+" but had access to the CLbecause they were in a suite. I don't get the whole "I've reached D+ status and therefore I am better than anyone else" NOT saying everyone does that; however from some of the posts I have read, some folks do and, well, that is just wrong, on so many levels :D

Agreed. No matter HOW you have access to the CL (points or staying in a suite, or points AND staying in a suite, etc.) you have PAID for your access. This isn't a professional society where credentials have any bearing, it's a pay to play lounge. I would not engage discussion with anyone who tried to "vet" me in there.

We are currently at the diamond level in the program, and like to sail in a Junior Suite for the added room etc, but when a good deal is available on a full suite we grab it, and enjoy the CL when in the full suite.

We love when the CL Police try the 20 questions approach to find out what our level in the program is or how many cruises we have been on, it becomes part of the entertainment for the evening.

But the vast majority of people we have encountered are just happy to be on a cruise and could care less about any status/level

Edited by Mac303

It's so stupid of people to act this way. I just don't get it. It doesn't matter their level weren't they on cruise1 sometime?? Did they start on number 13??? Why be so rude?? What makes them think they are so much better than everyone else?? Sorry you had to deal with such rude people. Who cares! Their loss. Happy sailing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Stupid is as stupid does."

Forrest Gump

We love booking suites and hardly ever go to the CL. Sounds like you have suite envy issues. :D

I was on a Silversea cruise in February. We had open seating at dinner and one evening we were seated with two couples who were quite a bit older than my husband and I. One of the women asked what cruiselines we had been on, and I replied, "Royal Caribbean, Holland America, and Celebrity." She immediately turned up her nose and said, "I would never sail on one of those cruiselines. They have such filthy people." From then on, the other couples acted like we had some vile disease and wouldn't speak or look our direction. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm a "filthy" person because it looks like I'll be sailing on RC again next year. I'm D+ and have sailed in everything from outsides to suites. I used the concierge lounge a couple times before Diamonds were no longer allowed. I also used it a couple times as a suite passenger. It never occurred to me to question anyone's cabin or C&A status. People are people.

...Big G CUTE KID......now you can show that one off in the C.L. Happy Easter.....

Thanks Joe and Happy Easter to you. The CL doesn't carry my cocktail of choice. I'd rather pay than settle for free. :D