Recent concierge lounge experience

Recently on the Oasis and had and experience that shocked me.

First, please do not get mad about this - I do not mean to offend anybody - just sharing my experience.

We have done 8 cruises - 4 with Royal with another coming in June and 4 with others. Tested the waters early and found Royal to be what we loved.

I had a Grand Suite on the Oasis so the first night we went to the concierge lounge after dinner for a drink. We found we enjoyed going for 2 drinks between dinner ( MTD at 5:30) and going to shows.

On the 2nd night, a couple came over and asked if they could join us and we said sure. Very nice people and enjoyed their company. After the first drink another couple joined us. The same 6 of us had drinks the following 2 nights. As we talked, I found out these 2 couples had cruised extensively and were Diamond Plus. I love hearing their cruising stories. While talking, the lady of the second couples said to me " I hate these people who book a Grand Suite so they can come in here and drink. It pisses me off". I was shocked - as the night wore on, I did share that I was only Platinum and yes she knew I was in a Grand Suite. I did say that I did not do it for the drinks in the lounge but love the extra room in the cabin.

Come the next night, when that couple walked in the lounge, the walked by us and sat with other people. I thought nothing of it at first. As I was leaving, she looked at me and said " Oh hi Bette, I did not see you over there". That was fine, I know that happens. On the following nights, they never came near us.

Really? Did I change over night? You liked me enough for 3 nights to sit and share drinks with us - until you found out I was not Diamond/Diamond Plus.

Wow I was shocked. The first couple continued to join us for a drink or 2 and all was very nice.

I know people who are Diamond/Diamond Plus/Pinnacle deserve everything for all the cruising they have done. I was just totally shocked by the whole thing.

Ok rant over...

First, please do not get mad about this - I do not mean to offend anybody - just sharing my experience.

We have done 8 cruises - 4 with Royal with another coming in June and 4 with others. Tested the waters early and found Royal to be what we loved.

I had a Grand Suite on the Oasis so the first night we went to the concierge lounge after dinner for a drink. We found we enjoyed going for 2 drinks between dinner ( MTD at 5:30) and going to shows.

On the 2nd night, a couple came over and asked if they could join us and we said sure. Very nice people and enjoyed their company. After the first drink another couple joined us. The same 6 of us had drinks the following 2 nights. As we talked, I found out these 2 couples had cruised extensively and were Diamond Plus. I love hearing their cruising stories. While talking, the lady of the second couples said to me " I hate these people who book a Grand Suite so they can come in here and drink. It pisses me off". I was shocked - as the night wore on, I did share that I was only Platinum and yes she knew I was in a Grand Suite. I did say that I did not do it for the drinks in the lounge but love the extra room in the cabin.

Come the next night, when that couple walked in the lounge, the walked by us and sat with other people. I thought nothing of it at first. As I was leaving, she looked at me and said " Oh hi Bette, I did not see you over there". That was fine, I know that happens. On the following nights, they never came near us.

Really? Did I change over night? You liked me enough for 3 nights to sit and share drinks with us - until you found out I was not Diamond/Diamond Plus.

Wow I was shocked. The first couple continued to join us for a drink or 2 and all was very nice.

I know people who are Diamond/Diamond Plus/Pinnacle deserve everything for all the cruising they have done. I was just totally shocked by the whole thing.

Ok rant over...

Wow am sorry to hear it

I think it just boils down to some people think one way and some another wherever they come from, whatever their cabin, and whatever their status

I just try to be true to my values and enjoy cruising and try help others enjoy it as much

Hope to catch you in the cl some time

Greg:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately that happens:( The Concierge Lounge was designed for Suite guests as one of the perks. I am happy that D+ and PC members are allowed to use the CL. There are some that have that entitlement attitude and make a bad impression for the rest of us:(

Unfortunately that happens:( The Concierge Lounge was designed for Suite guests as one of the perks. I am happy that D+ and PC members are allowed to use the CL. There are some that have that entitlement attitude and make a bad impression for the rest of us:(

Exactly. The CL was created for Suite guests. At one time D were also allowed in. The numbers got too big so RCI gave D and above their own lounge. We made D after the CL kickout. D+ could easily be next to get left out of the CL due to sheer numbers. We'll be D+ after our Nov 1 cruise, but we'll probably still just go to the DL. We've had a GS 3 times and had CL access and I do have to say I have heard some negative comments made by D+ members and not just about suite guests, but about other topics too. Those D+ need to remember, they could easily be excluded in the future from what is really a perk of being in a GS or above.

Life is too short to waste your time worrying about people like this. Concentrate on the people that do care about you, and your life will be a lot easier and more pleasant. You really don't want people like that in your life.

On our last cruise we had a lady wanting to get off the elevator ahead of everyone else (she was all the way in the back). I asked if she would mind letting off a few others in front (an elderly couple, and a gentleman with a cane). She said "yes, I'm a Diamond Plus and need to get to the lounge". At that point I told her the lounge will be there when she gets there. When we saw her in the lounge all she did was complain about all the people and how slow her drinks were coming. She did this every night.

So, don't let someone else's attitude disrupt your enjoyment. They're not worth it!

On the Allure we noticed something similar.

On our first night after muster we went to the lounge for pre-dinner cocktails.

An elderly couple with their Pinacle name tags walked over to us introduced themselves and we sat and talked.

They shared their cruising history and told many nice stories. We told them we were in a CL suite and always enjoyed the CL.

The next night when we walked in they were talking to another group of people also elderly and the DH nodded to us and the wife totally ignored us.

I think we were the fall guys if no one else was in there.

What-ever, we met many nice couples in the CL. and had a great cruise talking with them.

No one could ruin my cruise.............I waited to long for it.

Sea Ya

Well let's be honest here. The fact that RC by design has created a reward program for loyalty is the biggest issue. Unfortunately, it's the weak of mind and character that some use this loyalty program use and twist it as a "Class" of person/people/passenger.

I don't know if I'll ever make the Diamond status, if I do, I damn sure hope I don't become one of the weak.

I am looking forward to my first experience in a grand suite and the CL. There are all types of people you will encounter and some will be more pleasant than others. I don't have time for ignorance. I am on vacation! :D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

It is sad that people have to be that way. Best not to give them another thought. In all walks of life you will come across that type. I usually sail in a GS but am not yet D or D+ and I have seen quite a bit of that 'looking down your nose' attitude with some other passengers but at the end of the day you have paid your money for a cruise and whether you are a first time cruiser or an experienced cruiser everyone deserves respect. I hope that next time you are in a CL you have a more positive experience and if not, ignore it and carry on sailing :)

Ok rant over...

I have seen these type of people before, when we started to use the CL it was because we had a suite (we are now D+) And I have meet many of these types and they were most often to be the guests who got to D+ with 3 day cruises inside rooms. I think and have said before the CL should be for suite guest only and D and D+ members moved to the DL

It's not just the CL or DL it's every where!!!

Yes there are rude obnoxious people in every area of that ship! In fact rude and obnoxious people in ever area of our lives.

Ok pick any area of the ship and you'll have stories of rudeness.

I too am annoyed by those HOT SHOT NOBODIES who seem to hold court in the CL.........and you know who you are! We are D+ and have seen all kinds of shenanigans in the Cl and everywhere.

We still love to cruise and try to ignore the undeserving hot shots no mater what color their cabin card is.

A humorous CL story - DW and I were in CL one evening and the waiter tripped and spilled a drink in my lap. All I could say was "Boy that was cold." I went back to the cabin and changed clothes. When I returned to the lounge, the waiter immediately brought me a drink and thanked me for returning. I am a big believer that sometimes things just happen.

The next morning we were having breakfast in the D/D+ area of MDR with a couple from the CL and she complimented me on how I handled the spilled drink. The guy seated next to me bellowed out that he would have had free drinks that night if it had happened to him. I told him that as a matter of fact, I would get free drinks for the rest of the cruise. I thought the other couple and DW were going to choke! It's all what you make of it.

We are D+ (and no, have never cruised for less than 7 nights or booked an inside cabin) and have also witnessed similar bad conduct in the CL. I do predict that this type of behavior as well as sheer numbers will soon lead to D+ being booted from the CL.

Quite honestly, on many/most ships (yes, yes - I know the huge girls are different) the DL is a nice space - serves the same drinks and finger food and overall has a more relaxed feel.

If there are loads of D+ or P aboard, we will avoid the CL like it had noro.

Exactly. The CL was created for Suite guests. At one time D were also allowed in. The numbers got too big so RCI gave D and above their own lounge. We made D after the CL kickout. D+ could easily be next to get left out of the CL due to sheer numbers. We'll be D+ after our Nov 1 cruise, but we'll probably still just go to the DL. We've had a GS 3 times and had CL access and I do have to say I have heard some negative comments made by D+ members and not just about suite guests, but about other topics too. Those D+ need to remember, they could easily be excluded in the future from what is really a perk of being in a GS or above.

Been on some ships where the CL can be used by D, D+, P and Gold cards. Personally, it does not matter whether it is the D Lounge or the CL. What really matters is the location. On our last cruise the CL was on Deck 14 which was the DL at one time. The DL on that cruise was the CL on Deck 9. We would rather be on Deck 14 to see out over the sea and not in a little room totally enclosed.

One thing that does matter is the Suite Guest with unruly children running around, loading up on snacks and making noise in such a confined area. Parents just let them loose. JMHO!

I have seen these type of people before, when we started to use the CL it was because we had a suite (we are now D+) And I have meet many of these types and they were most often to be the guests who got to D+ with 3 day cruises inside rooms. I think and have said before the CL should be for suite guest only and D and D+ members moved to the DL

I totally agree with you. LOL Leave the CL for CL and Suite only. I am D with 159 points and only 19 RCI cruises. However, we do cruise other cruise lines, too. However, have seen many CL and Suite in DL, too.

Really, there is not much difference between both Lounges as they serve the same things. Only some of the people are different. LOL

Edited by Oxo

A humorous CL story - DW and I were in CL one evening and the waiter tripped and spilled a drink in my lap. All I could say was "Boy that was cold." I went back to the cabin and changed clothes. When I returned to the lounge, the waiter immediately brought me a drink and thanked me for returning. I am a big believer that sometimes things just happen.

The next morning we were having breakfast in the D/D+ area of MDR with a couple from the CL and she complimented me on how I handled the spilled drink. The guy seated next to me bellowed out that he would have had free drinks that night if it had happened to him. I told him that as a matter of fact, I would get free drinks for the rest of the cruise. I thought the other couple and DW were going to choke! It's all what you make of it.

That is funny:)

I am mostly amused by many of these stories. Glad its not just me....

I did not let it ruin my cruise - I had an awesome time and know I will in June going to Alaska.

No one can ruin what I have waited so long to enjoy

I do predict that this type of behavior as well as sheer numbers will soon lead to D+ being booted from the CL.

Ha! As a D+ I can say that rude behavior by Pinnacle and D+ (yes, it happens) is equally matched by rude behavior by a minority of suite people.

It is not a matter of level or cabin, but of personality, and a small minority of P, D+ and Suite folks have personalities which are judgmental. It all comes down to the individual and to stereotype by C&A level or cabin status is silly!

There are many humorous elements from your experience, so you really have to just laugh about it and pity her for her shallow behaviour. I didn't even know someone not staying in a suite was allowed in the CL (I thought they had their own lounge to go to), so if I get snubbed I'll know why and can have some fun with 'those types'. ;)