Recent concierge lounge experience

There are many humorous elements from your experience, so you really have to just laugh about it and pity her for her shallow behaviour. I didn't even know someone not staying in a suite was allowed in the CL (I thought they had their own lounge to go to), so if I get snubbed I'll know why and can have some fun with 'those types'. ;)

hehe

I have a war chest of stories - beginning when some "high rollers" of the C&A in the CL lounge asked to see my seapass card to verify my eligibility - I was in the Royal Suite at the time. Then there was another time when someone starting screaming at the concierge about some stupid thing - that poor guy just sat there bless him with the patience of a saint. If it were me, my foot would have been up the guest's *#$.

Bottom line is, I thank my lucky stars every night when I go to bed on a cruise. I think to myself how blessed I am to have the opportunity to be able to enjoy this type of vacation. And frankly, sometimes, I have pity for those people who define themselves by x number of cruises and being better than someone else. So I can't help but smile when I see some people who have caused a ruckus get on the elevator on deck 10 and ride it back to their stateroom on deck 3 - while I go across the hall to my suite on deck 10.

Edited by Kokomo91165

Ha! As a D+ I can say that rude behavior by Pinnacle and D+ (yes, it happens) is equally matched by rude behavior by a minority of suite people.

It is not a matter of level or cabin, but of personality, and a small minority of P, D+ and Suite folks have personalities which are judgmental. It all comes down to the individual and to stereotype by C&A level or cabin status is silly!

Thank you. Couldn't have said it better.

Ha! As a D+ I can say that rude behavior by Pinnacle and D+ (yes, it happens) is equally matched by rude behavior by a minority of suite people.

It is not a matter of level or cabin, but of personality, and a small minority of P, D+ and Suite folks have personalities which are judgmental. It all comes down to the individual and to stereotype by C&A level or cabin status is silly!

I agree rude behavior is everywhere - not just in a CL or by cruise status or cabin.

I try to treat everyone by how I would like to be treated. I consider myself lucky to be able to take a cruise no matter what kind of cabin I am staying in..

I have a war chest of stories - beginning when some "high rollers" of the C&A in the CL lounge asked to see my seapass card to verify my eligibility - I was in the Royal Suite at the time. Then there was another time when someone starting screaming at the concierge about some stupid thing - that poor guy just sat there bless him with the patience of a saint. If it were me, my foot would have been up the guest's *#$.

I hope you refused. We have been on several ships where other cruisers assume we are not eligible for the DL/CL/DE (and we're in our 60's, I guess we look better than we think:D), and I refuse to engage them, just ignore them and keep on having a good time. One even tried to prevent us from going into the Diamond Event on Rhapsody, saying that it was a private party. I got a good look on his face when we were introduced as the top cruisers later in the cruise - it was priceless.:)

OP, I'm sorry you had that experience. People like the woman you described are sad, petty and small and fortunately are in the minority. They just seem to be louder than the rest.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately that happens:( The Concierge Lounge was designed for Suite guests as one of the perks. I am happy that D+ and PC members are allowed to use the CL. There are some that have that entitlement attitude and make a bad impression for the rest of us:(

Well said. Perhaps we can hope the nasty lady was too embarrassed by her comments to sit with you. Unfortunately there are dumb/nasty people everywhere, including the CL on a cruise ship :)

Hope you enjoyed the remainder of the cruise.

M

1. To the OP, perhaps the woman who avoided you once she discovered you were a suite guest and not a loyalty guest in the CL was embarrassed and ashamed of the thoughtless comment she had made to you. Maybe she avoided you out of a sense of her own guilt for having hurt your feelings.

2. To those who belittle the budget cruiser, what difference does it make if a person reaches D+ or Pinnacle by sailing dozens of three night cruises in inside cabins or two-week cruises in Owners' Suites? The amount of money spent has never been a criteria in the Crown and Anchor Loyalty Program. I can't imagine why someone would look down on other cruisers based on the class of cabin or length of cruises others have taken.

Actually no one even needs to know how someone else in the Concierge lounge reached that status. Probably in most cases D+ and Pinnacles have sailed in a number of different classes of cabins and a number of different length cruises to reach that status. I know we have.

No great loss! Those kinds of statements are just amusing and too funny. Cruisers like that are put on the ship for our amusement and entertainment.

What a great outlook.............

Thank You

Now I can look at it in a better perspective.

Thanks Again

Sea Ya

I've cruised only 4 times with RCL and I'm only a gold member in C&A but have always used the CL since we always book a suite. Never had any issues. I also get I'm not very approachable. Haha.

I just enjoy my drinks and listen to my music.

Don't let others dictate how you're to have fun. Some need to be reminded that it's a vacation and not a secret society. Lighten up. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by omgyani

We have had positive experiences in the CL. After this next cruise we will be D+. I wonder if there is a shadow class pecking order of suite guests, D, D+ and D+ in a suite? ;)

We only had one negative experience and that was in the Diamond lounge where one person was 'saving' 12 seats for his friends and we could not sit down...

I posted once before that we have seen the opposite behavior in the CL. Once the seats fill up, I have seen many other CL guests move over and make room for other chairs to be brought in so later arriving guests could sit down and join the conversation. We have met many wonderful people in the CL (suite and non suite guests) and I think you will find that there are many times the positive encounters to the negative. Sorry this one happened to you; hopefully it is the exception.

Edited by silvermcs

We have also been lucky enough to avoid bad experience in the CL. We are Diamond plus and also book suites so can feel for both sides. However, every time we have been in the CL we have met incredible people and had so much fun. Yes, it got crowded but we squeezed in and made room and were blessed with lots of laughs for it. Always go in expecting to have a great time and it usually happens! I would not spend a second trying to figure out why someone was a jerk...they will always be one!

If someone (not Concierge/Crew member) tried to validate my presence by asking for my room or to see my Seapass I probably wouldn't even respond to them because they are 100% Grade A Certified Wackjobs of which nothing good can come.

We were Diamond members before Diamond members were kicked out of the CLs. We would never spend much time there, maybe one drink before dinner, because of the crowding and attitudes.

We are now Diamond Plus but on our recent cruise on Explorer we only stopped at the CL one afternoon so I could get a cup of coffee.

They put 3 drinks on our sea pass cards each day that we could use pretty much in any bar from 5 until 8:30 pm.

It was so much nicer to be able to go to the bar of our choice and have a quiet cocktail or two before dinner each day. I hope that RCCL continues that practice and makes it fleet wide.

We are D+ (and no, have never cruised for less than 7 nights or booked an inside cabin) and have also witnessed similar bad conduct in the CL. I do predict that this type of behavior as well as sheer numbers will soon lead to D+ being booted from the CL.

Quite honestly, on many/most ships (yes, yes - I know the huge girls are different) the DL is a nice space - serves the same drinks and finger food and overall has a more relaxed feel.

If there are loads of D+ or P aboard, we will avoid the CL like it had noro.

This is honestly a foolish and not well thought out post...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Thetrail

I sympathize with the OP. We are D+ and also have sailed in "gold card" suites. On a recent cruise we chose to go to the CL because it was nicer and less crowded than where the Diamond happy hour was being held (as it is on Oasis and Allure). We met some really nice people. We were asked to join a number of people, and that went on for a few nights. Then one night one of the couples walked in, nodded to us, then sat with another couple. No big deal, but when the other couple walked in, they saw us and were going to join us when the other couple asked them to join them. As they did, they asked us to move over and join them. We felt a bit awkward, but did so. Turned out we talked mostly to the first couple that sort of "dissed" us. Go figure. So I know how awkward it is when an incident like what happened to the OP occurs.

As for the Concierge Lounge, it is really there for the "gold card" suites, GS and above. The fact that D+ are invited in is a very nice perk. But it isn't a "D+" lounge. When I am not in a suite and the CL gets crowded, I will go to the Diamond Lounge. That is really "my" lounge. The CL is really for suites guests.

So in reality (IMHO) the person who snubbed the OP is really the one who had less right to be in the CL.

I love the perk, especially on Oasis and Allure. I hope we D+'s don't lose it. But we are really the guests there and should appreciated our opportunity. And, I've met some great people in there. In my experience, due to the more intimate setting, the CL is more friendly than the Diamond Lounge. Mostly due to fewer people.

As many have said, there are rude snobs everywhere. My life is very full. Cruising is a fun part of it. But it by no means defines me. I am D+ because I loved Royal Caribbean, and suddenly I had the points. Anyone can do it. It's all a matter of how often you cruise. Nothing to be "snobby" about.

Edited by papaflamingo

To the OP:

I am very sorry that you had to experience such rude behavior.

I've never stayed in a GS or above but have enjoyed meeting may folks who regularly do. We have made some delightful friendships with suite folks over the years.

With that said, rude behavior is not just directed at suite guests. We have experienced some extreme rudeness from a handful of Pinnacles and D+. We always say to each other that rudeness didn't come to these people via their C&A points....they probably live their everyday lives that way.

Again, I'm very sorry you had to experience such behavior and especially sorry that it came from Crown and Anchor members.

They put 3 drinks on our sea pass cards each day that we could use pretty much in any bar from 5 until 8:30 pm.

It was so much nicer to be able to go to the bar of our choice and have a quiet cocktail or two before dinner each day. I hope that RCCL continues that practice and makes it fleet wide.

You mention one of best things Royal has begun doing. While I appreciate all the hard work (and money) that has gone into making loyal cruisers rise in the C&A ranks, we often find it hard to literally fit into the Diamond Lounges, let alone the CL. Having the ability to share a drink with friends outside of the lounges is certainly a valued new perk.

Although we we're not spoken to like that we didn't have a little event with some rude people almost just like this and we ended up seeing them be rude in the elevators later and to other people

These posts explain a lot of the vibe I saw in the CL on our last cruise just makes some sense now

It's so stupid of people to act this way. I just don't get it. It doesn't matter their level weren't they on cruise1 sometime?? Did they start on number 13??? Why be so rude?? What makes them think they are so much better than everyone else?? Sorry you had to deal with such rude people. Who cares! Their loss. Happy sailing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you all for being understanding. I really did not mean to open it up to this extent.

I did have a very nice time with the first couple and another couple from my meet and mingle. Although they were D/D+, we had a very nice time with them. I know not many are like that but I guess I got a good taste of it..

Live and learn huh?

I once ran into a similar situation in the dining room for breakfast while sitting with my 4 kids. A very well dressed D+ lady and her husband were sat with us at a table and she was NOT happy about it. I made conversation with her husband and tried my best with her. My kids, ages 4, 9, 10, and 12 at the time all introduced themselves and proceeded to very politely order their own meals. The lady looked in shock and soon began talking with them. After breakfast she pulled me aside and apologized and stated how well behaved they are. Throughout the cruise she would stop and chat and even saved us seats for the pirate parade. Sometimes it takes just a little stubbornness to make them open their eyes...

That being said... Heaven help someone other than a ships employee ask me or my kids to prove our right to be in the CL !!! I can be fairly blunt also!:D I guess we will find out in December.

There are a lot of "those" people in the C.L. They are so small and have no status in the "real" world and buy some (they think) through a suckers' scheme aimed at turning them into "Rombies" (Royal Zombies) who are obsessed and brainwashed by the "rewards" program.......Losers really and class less IMO.......Try a higher class of cruise line. Leave the trash behind...;):)

Joe,

I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's my opinion that your comments are over the top. I'm going to believe your comments were sarcastic and not how we should think. I can't condemn an entire segment of the cruising public based on the poor manners of a few outliers. We are average, ordinary, and humble; yet by the end of the year we will be D+. We are not chasing status, but genuinely enjoy cruising.

In 15 cruises we have met very few of 'those' people. I for one, am not adverse to putting them in their place. As I said in an earlier post, 'those' people are put on the ship for all of our amusement.:) None of them will be allowed to ruin my cruise, but they will possibly become part of an amusing story!

Enjoy your future cruises...

Recently on the Oasis and had and experience that shocked me.

First, please do not get mad about this - I do not mean to offend anybody - just sharing my experience.

We have done 8 cruises - 4 with Royal with another coming in June and 4 with others. Tested the waters early and found Royal to be what we loved.

I had a Grand Suite on the Oasis so the first night we went to the concierge lounge after dinner for a drink. We found we enjoyed going for 2 drinks between dinner ( MTD at 5:30) and going to shows.

On the 2nd night, a couple came over and asked if they could join us and we said sure. Very nice people and enjoyed their company. After the first drink another couple joined us. The same 6 of us had drinks the following 2 nights. As we talked, I found out these 2 couples had cruised extensively and were Diamond Plus. I love hearing their cruising stories. While talking, the lady of the second couples said to me " I hate these people who book a Grand Suite so they can come in here and drink. It pisses me off". I was shocked - as the night wore on, I did share that I was only Platinum and yes she knew I was in a Grand Suite. I did say that I did not do it for the drinks in the lounge but love the extra room in the cabin.

Come the next night, when that couple walked in the lounge, the walked by us and sat with other people. I thought nothing of it at first. As I was leaving, she looked at me and said " Oh hi Bette, I did not see you over there". That was fine, I know that happens. On the following nights, they never came near us.

Really? Did I change over night? You liked me enough for 3 nights to sit and share drinks with us - until you found out I was not Diamond/Diamond Plus.

Wow I was shocked. The first couple continued to join us for a drink or 2 and all was very nice.

I know people who are Diamond/Diamond Plus/Pinnacle deserve everything for all the cruising they have done. I was just totally shocked by the whole thing.

Ok rant over...

There are quite a few diamond plus members I feel carry this general entitlement attitude. It's a shame as I imagine there are many (most) that are not like this. We have been on 4, and all 4 times we booked gs or above as we enjoy all the perks. I would have had less tact than you if I were sitting with them and they gave that comment...

How thoroughly peculiar! On some cruiselines, there is no concierge or lounge for cruisers who have the equivalent of Diamond status, they just have other perks. Some of those cruisers can be snooty about their status too, but they can't do it at the lounge while imbibing free drinks ;)