Recent concierge lounge experience

This has me laughing. Because the most pretentious one I ever saw in the CL is also on Cruise Critic. :D And no, they haven't posted here.

There have been a few funny moments for us as well. There was one woman who glared at us several nights in a row. I'm not sure why - I think she was offended that we were laughing and smiling as we sat with friends.

We rotate between JS and GS and are D+. Our next cruise we are in a JS. We always do the CL. We attempted the DL one time but there was a HORDE of over 70 year olds ahead of us to go in and we felt outnumbered and got the distinct impression that we were going to be the lepers in the room so we went back to the CL. Definitely not worth it. I admit to being wary of the DL just based on some of the Diamond breakfasts we've had to endure. That much bragging is just not good for the soul. :)

Sadly, the obnoxious D, D+ and P's are roaming around the ship too - not just the lounges. Happily, they are probably only about 5% of the population. The other 95% are like most of us here, normal and happy to be cruising.

Please do share :D!

While I certainly don't want to argue with you

My prediction is that soon access to the CL will require a Gold card.

There is no argument! I was talking about the present. You are making predictions.

In regard to your prediction, I have to disagree. What is more likely is a new loyalty level between D+ and Pinnacle. My guess is 350 with access to the CL to Suites, Pinnacles and those above 350.

There is no way RCCL will waste the space in all their CLs with only suite folks. The places would be largely empty for a good part of the evening!

Edited by yogimax

This the last time I will say NOT TRUE, NOT TRUE, NOT TRUE

To clarify... originally, many years ago, the CL was for suite guests.

That was then... today is today, and RCCL has said that the CL is EQUALLY for suite guests, Pinnacle and D+.

Bottom line: no one (gold card, Pinnacle, D+) is MORE entitled to lounge access than the other. All have equal access to it!

And... one final word in agreement with many posts...

We find the CL to be made up of many, many wonderful people. We have great times there and have made many friends over the years. The behavior cited by the OP is the EXCEPTION. I don't care whether you got to the lounge by gold or status. It doesn't matter to me or to RCCL. And yes, if you walk in the door, you may see me looking at you. Why? because I simply want to know if it may be someone I know. Period.

I am guessing this may be directed at my earlier post regarding the scrutiny my family and I received as described in my post earlier in this thread. Please forgive me if I am mistaken but that evening I mention in the CL was not casual glancing in our direction as we came through the door and into the lounge - it was more questioning and skeptical and continued until we left. Perhaps we were hasty in leaving and not giving the other guests an opportunity to interact with us but as I said, it was wall-to-wall people, there was no bartender and it was pointless to remain there standing in the middle of the Indy's tiny CL. We certainly were not upset and as I mentioned above, this didn't even occur to me until reading all the posts on this thread.

Since the Diamond Club and Concierge Lounge offer the same amenities (except for Oasis and Allure) I don't see why there would be a problem just having access to the DC. I like the views better in many of the Diamond Clubs.

We aren't Diamond yet (this next cruise we will be), but will be in GS on TA in October 2015 on the Allure.

You stated that the amenities are the same in the lounges, except Oasis and Allure.

Can you elaborate?

Thanks!

We aren't Diamond yet (this next cruise we will be), but will be in GS on TA in October 2015 on the Allure.

You stated that the amenities are the same in the lounges, except Oasis and Allure.

Can you elaborate?

Thanks!

That's awesome to have a GS for the TA. You will LOVE it. The Concierge Lounges on Oasis/Allure are two stories with great views of the aft and Boardwalk of the ships. They offer made to order breakfast and lunch. The Diamond Club is small and overlooks the Promenade (a great place to people watch or see the parades). It offers the usual Continental Breakfast. If there are quite a few Diamonds on board the nightly cocktails are in Blaze on Deck 4.

Edited by ARCruisinNana

Can you elaborate?

Thanks!

Oasis and Allure are another world!

You can have a hot breakfast in the lounge and a nice hot lunch with wine or beer. The lounge is much more relaxed than the Windjammer. Grab a seat by the window and watch the happenings on the Boardwalk or Aqua Theatre. The lounges on O and A are truly unique!

That's awesome to have a GS for the TA. You will LOVE it. The Concierge Lounges on Oasis/Allure are two stories with great views of the aft and Boardwalk of the ships. They offer made to order breakfast and lunch. The Diamond Club is small and overlooks the Promenade (a great place to people watch or see the parades). It offers the usual Continental Breakfast. If there are quite a few Diamonds on board the nightly cocktails are in Blaze on Deck 4.

Maybe I will be able to get DH to go to the CL on the Allure after all.

He hated to go to the CL on the FOS. It was a small dark room with awkward seating. Out of 16 days, the capachinno machine only worked maybe 3 of the days, so I ddidn't bother going there either.

The Allure sounds like a completely different experience.

Thank you!

I posted early in this thread a humorous story about a waiter in the CL tripping and spilling a drink in my lap. I didn't complain, I just went to my cabin and changed pants. It wasn't his fault, somebody bumped into him. When I returned to the CL, he brought me a drink and thanked me for returning. I thought that was strange but after reading some of these comments, I now know why he would do that. I learned long ago, life is what you make it.

Maybe I will be able to get DH to go to the CL on the Allure after all.

He hated to go to the CL on the FOS. It was a small dark room with awkward seating. Out of 16 days, the capachinno machine only worked maybe 3 of the days, so I ddidn't bother going there either.

The Allure sounds like a completely different experience.

Thank you!

I agree about FOS CL. The Concierge Lounges on the Voyager and Freedom classes are dark and dreary. I'm looking forward to the CL this fall on the Oasis TA:D

Can you elaborate?

Thanks!

The DL on Oasis and Allure is on Deck 6 with no view plus it can't accommodate the number of D, D+, and Pinnacles on board during cocktail hours so it gets moved to Blaze on Deck 4. The CL on Oasis and Allure is much bigger than the DL, has a view, and serves breakfast and lunch. I'm not sure there is any difference in what is served during cocktail hour. I believe DLs on all other ships have better views than their accompanying CLs.

I agree about FOS CL. The Concierge Lounges on the Voyager and Freedom classes are dark and dreary. I'm looking forward to the CL this fall on the Oasis TA:D

Waited too long to book for October 2014 TA on Oasis. Waitlisted for GS and when one did open, it was $10k. Too much for 12 days and one port, even on the Oasis. So we booked Allure Oct 2015 instead.

Love TAs.

I hope that by the time I get to DL or I am lucky enough to be able to go to the CL, that...

A) things have changed and there is no snobbery

Or

B) my skin will be thick enough that it won't bother me!!!

I am not holding my breath for option A! :rolleyes:

Snobbery, will always be around.....so expecting that to disappear is unrealistic. I hope your skin doesn't become so thick that it doesn't bother you, because that means that YOU in some way have changed and become less sensitive.

What I do hope is that when you get to these levels, you can just brush off the 'foolish people' and know that their attitudes CAN NOT cause you to have a less than terrific cruise.

There is no argument! I was talking about the present. You are making predictions.

In regard to your prediction, I have to disagree. What is more likely is a new loyalty level between D+ and Pinnacle. My guess is 350 with access to the CL to Suites, Pinnacles and those above 350.

There is no way RCCL will waste the space in all their CLs with only suite folks. The places would be largely empty for a good part of the evening!

Actually, I could see something like that happening. There is an INCREDIBLE difference in points between the levels of D+ and Pinnacle.

I mean we are getting pretty high up the food chain in the D+ category and the crystal blocks are nice but....and the invitations to the behind the scenes and special parties, well they are nice but ....we really don't go anymore.

Again...and Royal Caribbean are you listening? A nice discount on the drink package would go a long way with this D + member.

The DL on Oasis and Allure is on Deck 6 with no view

Not sure how you can say it has no view. We used the Diamond Lounge (in preference to the CL) on Allure every night due to the balcony overlooking the Promenade. It was a fantastic people watching place - we loved to see the scramble which ensued whenever a 'sale' was opened and we watched a parade from there one night. We thought the view was great :)

Not sure how you can say it has no view. We used the Diamond Lounge (in preference to the CL) on Allure every night due to the balcony overlooking the Promenade. It was a fantastic people watching place - we loved to see the scramble which ensued whenever a 'sale' was opened and we watched a parade from there one night. We thought the view was great :)

They don't always use the DL for the nightly event. We were on Allure this past Nov 3-10 and there were 330 D and above onboard. We were in Blazes everynight because the DL couldn't handle everyone. I think your experience of using the DL is getting more uncommon. Also, not every seat in the DL has a view. There's only about 4-5 2 person tables on the balcony area. The rest of the seating is inside with no view.

They don't always use the DL for the nightly event. We were on Allure this past Nov 3-10 and there were 330 D and above onboard. We were in Blazes everynight because the DL couldn't handle everyone. I think your experience of using the DL is getting more uncommon. Also, not every seat in the DL has a view. There's only about 4-5 2 person tables on the balcony area. The rest of the seating is inside with no view.

Mmm I take your point but I was responding to someone who said the D lounge had NO view - I think there are more like 7-8 tables for 2 nex to the balcony though ;)

However, there are also tables in the CL which don't have a view (the ones on the raised section to the side) and really, unless you are up near the window the only real view offered in the CL is of the Boardwalk balconies.

Each to his own though - and I'm happy to drink in either :)

There's a short video of the Diamond Lounge here for those who are interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQByYUlXSsE#aid=P9Hp6nx2ieo

Edited by Bobal

That seems like a reasonable prediction. Now we can speculate about the name!:D

I am guessing this may be directed at my earlier post regarding the scrutiny my family and I received as described in my post earlier in this thread. Please forgive me if I am mistaken but that evening I mention in the CL was not casual glancing in our direction as we came through the door and into the lounge - it was more questioning and skeptical and continued until we left. Perhaps we were hasty in leaving and not giving the other guests an opportunity to interact with us but as I said, it was wall-to-wall people, there was no bartender and it was pointless to remain there standing in the middle of the Indy's tiny CL. We certainly were not upset and as I mentioned above, this didn't even occur to me until reading all the posts on this thread.

If it didn't occur to you at the time, it could be that people simply wondered who you were - we've gotten those looks and it's often from people who cruise frequently on the same route and know all of the regulars. I can imagine the conversation - "Hey, who are they - do you know them?" "No. They sure are young. Wish my legs still looked that good!":p

I don't mean this mean....just honest question...why do the D's want to come to the CL when they get their own private lounge too? Free drinks and recognition for loyalty....seems equal ?? I do realize the CL has a GREAT view but I haven't seen teh D lounge....yet..hee hee

it sound like maybe the DL is too crowded? or do they not serve food in the DL

...just curious because we are Diamond after this cruise and will look forward to getting to use the Diamond Lounge when we earn it :D:D

Actually, I could see something like that happening. There is an INCREDIBLE difference in points between the levels of D+ and Pinnacle.

I mean we are getting pretty high up the food chain in the D+ category and the crystal blocks are nice but....and the invitations to the behind the scenes and special parties, well they are nice but ....we really don't go anymore.

Again...and Royal Caribbean are you listening? A nice discount on the drink package would go a long way with this D + member.

I could see something like 350 cruise credits (level where you get a second amenity) being the cutoff and if it got too crowded in the CL, they could go to 525 -- the level when your get the 3rd amenity -- for the cutoff.

The amenities (we order wine) and the CL or DL along with designating a dining table are the most important D+ amenities to us.

I'll concede that. If you're a people watcher there is plenty to see. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oasis and Allure are another world!

You can have a hot breakfast in the lounge and a nice hot lunch with wine or beer. The lounge is much more relaxed than the Windjammer. Grab a seat by the window and watch the happenings on the Boardwalk or Aqua Theatre. The lounges on O and A are truly unique!

DH and I will be on Allure for the June 29, 2014 sailing. This is the first time, I can remember at least, reading about having a hot breakfast or nice hot lunch with wine or beer in the DL. Is this new?

We are Diamonds and look forward to this when we sail in June.

DH and I will be on Allure for the June 29, 2014 sailing. This is the first time, I can remember at least, reading about having a hot breakfast or nice hot lunch with wine or beer in the DL. Is this new?

We are Diamonds and look forward to this when we sail in June.

The hot breakfast and lunch on Allure are in the CL, not the DL. The DL has the typical continental breakfast and no lunch.

I could see something like 350 cruise credits (level where you get a second amenity) being the cutoff and if it got too crowded in the CL, they could go to 525 -- the level when your get the 3rd amenity -- for the cutoff.

The amenities (we order wine) and the CL or DL along with designating a dining table are the most important D+ amenities to us.

Actually the $250 balcony discount is most important to us as we usually book 6 months out. Hopefully that will not change. We buy the drink package now so the CL and DL aren't as important to us.

For those of you who pay for suites and crowd the lounges just to get a free drink (from a small selection) in a standing room only crowd, consider going on the MSC Divina Yacht Club out of Miami. You get a suite, a butler and all the free drinks (whatever you like) you can consume (plus other nice benefits like a virtually empty pool deck) for much less than you think.

We were in the Yacht Club for the March 15th sailing and it was literally like sailing on our own private yacht. Downstairs, mayhem; upstairs, heaven. I prefer Royal for their excellent service, but I can overlook service issues on MSC for the value (and it sounds like many of you will overlook a lot of things just to get a free drink).

I wrote a lengthy review on the MSC thread. Here are my pictures from the cruise... http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t371/resstation/SAM_0994_zps2c000b50.jpg

And don't get me wrong. I LOVE Royal Caribbean - it is my favorite line. We wanted to try something new and it was a really great treat.