Sailaways

Antmadmanda

Do they do these at every port? Not sure I'm comfortable with them, seems a bit over the top!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If they didn't Sailaway then you would never move!

Normally at sailaway time there is music played around the pool and people enjoy a drink or two to celebrate their visit.

However at one or two ports there is a tradition of doing the Great British Sailaway which involves a lot more effort from the entertainments team with lots of patriotic singing and flag waving - agreed it can be a bit OTT but good fun to watch and on occasion participate in. But it isn't compulsory and there's no need to feel uncomfortable if it isn't your thing.

Do they do these at every port? Not sure I'm comfortable with them, seems a bit over the top!

We have found that there isn't a Sailaway at every port; circumstances can dictate otherwise. We have cruised many times but have been to just two Sailaway parties, on different cruise lines. One was okay, the other was fab! But I don't think I will make a beeline for a Sailaway on our next cruise; depends how we feel.

I love the sailaways but not so keen on the British one. Just an excuse for an extra glass of wine and a bit of a dance for me.:cool:

Interestingly the sailaway which attracts the biggest crowd is of course the Great British Sailaway. Remember that even when the sailaway is full there are unlikely to be more than 500 people there. That is a quarter of Aurora and a sixth of Azura. I am sure that there are thousands of regular cruisers who have never been to one.

The ship is big enough to cater for all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The last time we were on Oceana we enjoyed the Great British Sail away at Gibraltar - our first port of call. We avoided the repeat of this at our last port as I would have found it too depressing as we were almost home.

As with any event on a cruise - you only have to do what you want to do. It is easy to avoid the things you don't like. :D

I love Sailaway, especially the Great British Sailaway. Mind you, it may have been the company who made it. In February 2013 a group of 11 of us met at the Cruise Critic meet and greet in the Caribbean on Azura, and just hit it off, and made arrangements to meet at all the sailaways - it was great fun, and we are all still in touch via facebook. I am going on Ventura this year, with a friend who did her first cruise in February 2014, and also enjoyed the sailaways. I have been on QM2 in the Caribbean too, but their sailaways I found to be a little more refined :rolleyes::) Oh yes, and I am what is known as a "senior citizen" :eek:

I don't like the big British sailaways - find them embarrassing. We did have a lovely sailaway on Balmoral on leaving Salalah. Adonia was in port and we just had lots of great live music and lots of people dancing. Lots of waving to and fro with Adonia.

I don't like the big British sailaways - find them embarrassing. We did have a lovely sailaway on Balmoral on leaving Salalah. Adonia was in port and we just had lots of great live music and lots of people dancing. Lots of waving to and fro with Adonia.

What's embarrassing about a British sailaway???

On all the P&O cruises I have taken the Great British Sailaways have always been well attended therefore a large number of passengers must enjoy them, we have always had a good reception from other ships alongside particularly American ones. It is 45 minutes of harmless fun no one forces you to attend I am quite sure you can find something else to do while the GBS takes place. There are activities which take place on the ship which do not interest me such as boring speakers,craft activities but they suit other passengers who am I to suggest those activities should be stopped each to their own that's what makes cruising so interesting and enjoyable, two Union flags and two Saltires always packed in luggage for GBS.

They are not harmless fun when you are berthed next to a German cruise ship and they insisted on playing the theme from dambusters, land of hope and glory, we'll meet again and other cringeworthy songs from the war. How embarrassing and totallly unnecessary and we wonder why we are not liked around the world such arrogance.

They are not harmless fun when you are berthed next to a German cruise ship and they insisted on playing the theme from dambusters, land of hope and glory, we'll meet again and other cringeworthy songs from the war. How embarrassing and totallly unnecessary and we wonder why we are not liked around the world such arrogance.

Sums up my thoughts on the subject.

See my signature ;)

Well I have to disagree with you I have been moored alongside Mein Shiff 1 and a large number of hire passengers were more than friendly towards us waving over and dancing on her upper deck not all the music is Dambusters and Land of Hope and Glory and when it comes to Arrogance the Germans can exhibit their own level of that.

45 minutes that's all it is and if you don't like it do something else.

I loved the GBS when we sailed out of St Maarten we were one of 8 ships docked that day all the ships around us were watching and joining in.

We don't do any other sailaways we find them a bit Butlin'ish but the GBS is a nice bit of cheese just for one evening.

I have been on many p and o sailaways and it doesn't matter which ship you go on its the same tape , I know whats going tobe played next . I find p and o to be very predictable. I will be visiting oriana in June and hopefully they have changed the tape.