Do You Think Size Diff Between D2 and E2 Is Worth $500?

I'm torn between a D2 and an E2 on Brilliance in July 2015 for a 12 night cruise. The price difference is $500, or about $42 per night, and I can get either one in a good location. I've been in an E1 for a 7 night cruise and found it a little cramped, but I don't know if that extra 27 sq feet would really be worth that much. Now, if that extra 27 sq feet was in the bathroom that would be a no-brainer, but it isn't. :)

For such a long-ish cruise the extra space might be nice, but the airline tix to London are already going to be pricey and that $500 might be better spent elsewhere.

I've never been in a D cabin so I can't picture in my mind whether it's really all that bigger. So I'm looking for opinions from those who have been in both cabins. This is just for me and DH, btw. We don't do bars so we might spend more time in our cabin than a lot of people do so that might make a difference.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice!

Edited by frisbeewife

Heck no!

We always opt for the D over the E if he price is similar, but I wouldn't pay a lot extra for a D. You notice the difference in a D but don't miss it in an E if that makes sense.

You essentially get a little extra storage space on the end of the counter by the bed and a full couch instead of a love seat.

I'm torn between a D2 and an E2 on Brilliance in July 2015 for a 12 night cruise. The price difference is $500, or about $42 per night, and I can get either one in a good location. I've been in an E1 for a 7 night cruise and found it a little cramped, but I don't know if that extra 27 sq feet would really be worth that much. Now, if that extra 27 sq feet was in the bathroom that would be a no-brainer, but it isn't. :)

For such a long-ish cruise the extra space might be nice, but the airline tix to London are already going to be pricey and that $500 might be better spent elsewhere.

I've never been in a D cabin so I can't picture in my mind whether it's really all that bigger. So I'm looking for opinions from those who have been in both cabins. This is just for me and DH, btw. We don't do bars so we might spend more time in our cabin than a lot of people do so that might make a difference.

the only difference is a slightly longer cabin where you'll have a sofa instead of a love seat. Keep the money

I agree. Go with E. Check prices every day after final pay. On both our freedom class cruises, the D's dropped below what we had paid for our E. If it were not for the lovely aft balcony we wanted to hang on to, we could have upgraded to D...

I agree with all that say keep the money, it'll come in handy for spending here in the UK. Things are more expensive here!

Yeah, I figure that $500 might almost pay for a pre-cruise night at a hotel.... :D

We found that the E size was just a bit squishy for us. When getting dressed after a shower it was a bit of juggling to get around opening drawers etc. We like to have the choice of when we want be in the cabin or out of it, and felt like we could relax a bit more in the D size.

In the E we felt like we had to get out as two of us didn't sit comfortably on the 1 1/2 seater "love seat". That is the difference in size pretty much, take the cushion from the love seat in an E and double it for the size of the couch in a D. There was no way the two of us could just sit on the love seat and read or whatever.

Would I pay $500 more? Not sure, as we would also spend more time in our cabin than many do here on the board. We are not much for staying at the bars, and we also don't lounge by the pool. That is why we value the balcony. But when the weather is too hot or cold, it is nice to be able to sit inside when you choose. It also comes down to total cost. We can't get away often so would be more inclined to go for more comfort, but add in flying as well....

The JS, have you checked out the guarantee prices for W category at all? Might be worth looking at that option?

That 27 sq ft is a difference. Maneuvering around the bed is a little more difficult in 'E' cabin. Some 'E' Deck 7 cabins have bigger balconies that's a plus.

A balcony MAY be worth $500 but the difference between 'D' and 'E' is definitely not worth it. I would book an 'E' and watch the prices. IMHO.

Enjoy your cruise...

Have had both E's and D's. D's have a little more room which may be noticeable if you are really paying attention. Definitely not worth an extra $500! Location on the ship is much more important to me.

As pretty much everyone has said, definitely not worth another $500. I'd go so far as to say not really worth another $50 unless you're planning on spending a lot of time sitting on the sofa/loveseat.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Forums mobile app

So glad to see all of these responses. We usually are in a D cabin and are looking forward to our aft view and oversized D balcony 9660 on the Jewel in just a few short weeks for a B2B in the Southern Caribbean!

However, we have booked an E2, 7594, on the Jewel in October 2015 for a 7 night Pacific Coastal cruise. I can't remember the price difference when when we booked, but it was significant. It's even more now. I know that I was thinking that in October in the Pacific we would probably not be as inclined to spend a lot of time on the aft balcony, so we went midship, smaller cabin and smaller balcony. Plus it is port intensive with only one sea day. It sounds like we made a good decision!:cool:

So glad to see all of these responses. We usually are in a D cabin and are looking forward to our aft view and oversized D balcony 9660 on the Jewel in just a few short weeks for a B2B in the Southern Caribbean!

However, we have booked an E2, 7594, on the Jewel in October 2015 for a 7 night Pacific Coastal cruise. I can't remember the price difference when when we booked, but it was significant. It's even more now. I know that I was thinking that in October in the Pacific we would probably not be as inclined to spend a lot of time on the aft balcony, so we went midship, smaller cabin and smaller balcony. Plus it is port intensive with only one sea day. It sounds like we made a good decision!:cool:

Very good choice. An E category balcony is more than sufficient when there is a significant price difference.

27 square feet for $500? Nope. Not me.