First Walk Off Group at Disembarkation ?'s

Aquarian

We have booked an early flight out of Ft. Lauderdale going home. I see in many posts to get in the first walk off group at disembarkation. What is involved in doing this? Do I need to talk to someone about this onboard and if so, who? Would someone give me the First Walk Off for Dummies rundown please. Also, I think I read once to tip a red cap to get a cab fast to the airport. We have always taken later flights and this was a never an issue for us in the past. Any help would be appreciated.

We have booked an early flight out of Ft. Lauderdale going home. I see in many posts to get in the first walk off group at disembarkation. What is involved in doing this? Do I need to talk to someone about this onboard and if so, who? Would someone give me the First Walk Off for Dummies rundown please. Also, I think I read once to tip a red cap to get a cab fast to the airport. We have always taken later flights and this was a never an issue for us in the past. Any help would be appreciated.

They will send a form couple of days before disembarkation and you check off what time and walk off,I had a question about my walk off assignment went to Passenger Service desk and they changed my request to earlier

A few days prior to disembarkation, you'll receive a form to fill out. There will be questions about your onward travel plans. Indicate you will be a walk-off. Note that you want to be in the first group.

A day or two before disembarkation, you'll receive notification of which group you'll be in as well as a disembarkation schedule showing when and where your group is to meet...likely one of the two anytime dining rooms. When we disembarked the Emerald in February there were three walk-off groups...the last group's meeting time was only 10 minutes after the first, so it goes pretty quickly.

There will be plenty of taxis...no need to tip anyone at the taxi loading area.

By the way, what time is your flight?

Lew

During the cruise you get a form in your cabin to complete. Fill in "early self disembark." A day or two before the last morning you get your time and meeting place instructions in your cabin, just like you always have in the past. You leave all your luggage in your cabin the night before, don't place it in the hall for pick up. To do the self disembark you must carry/wheel all your own luggage all the way off the ship and to customs. Self disembarks are normally off the ship by 7:00 to 7:30. Taxis are there to take you to the airport. You do not need to speak with anyone special unless there is a problem with the time you were assigned. You will find many passengers take this option.

Each walk off group is limited to 200 passengers. Not everyone gets the time they really want. The first time we tried to get walk off all those groups were full. Luckily we didn't have a flight to catch just an appointment at home that we were trying not to change.

On the Ruby last month, we waited with our walk-off group. As we walked-off, no one even looked at the number we had.

ETA: Same thing happened with the tender tickets in Grand Cayman. No one looked at, or took our tender tickets as we got into the boat. :confused:

Edited by metairiegal

We're on a 7 day cruise so I can expect to get a form mid-week?

Maybe as soon as day 2.

Once you get it, bring it to the Purser's desk as soon as you can so you will have a better chance of getting the time you desire.

Our flight is 11:30 AM.

Thank you for the explanations. It seems simple enough. I'll look for the form to arrive. Thanks again for your help.

Should be a breeze.

We have made a 945 the last 5 times arriving in FLL.

Mike:)

I understand how the op feels. I did an 11:30 flight out of FLL in February. Tried to do ez check so we wouldn't have bags but were denied by the airline. At that point we had to reschedule our plans and were assigned the third walk off group.

During the high season, there can be huge lines. Check to see how many ships are in port.

Customs also needs to clear your ship. On my voyage we were delayed approx half an hour. Walk offs began at 5:55 originally. They didn't start until 6:25. I was off the ship by 7.

Depending on customs there can be huge lines. Since we were one of the last ships to port that morning, I got lucky.

Taxis are plentiful but again, there were huge waiting lines for taxis and shared vans. We had hired a private car to meet us after hearing the FLL horror stories. The driver told us we got lucky..it was unusually quiet that Sunday. Traffic to get in and out if the port can also use up time.

Bottom line, we were at the airport by 9. We had priority so we sailed through security. No problems getting to our flight but it was definitely stressful and I wouldn't want to go out so early unless there was no other choice. Doable, though.

I recommend checking the FLL port boards..they were really helpful in meeting realistic expectations.

Good luck!

In October we were on the Royal 5 day maiden and made a 9:40 flight - we were in the first walk off group and actually booked a car service so that we didn't have to wait for a cab. We were at the airport in time for coffee before boarding. (TSA pre check helped - although the agent did have to tell me that my cruise card was not in fact sufficient ID for flight - pulled the wrong card out of my pocket).

We also made a 9:45 flight out of LAX. The florida one was to save money, the LA one was so that my husband could go to work.

Our next cruise is a 3 to San Francisco. My husband works in down the peninsula, but the company also has an office in San Francisco, so he'll probably go there for the day, and I'll go pick up the car. As he says, it will probably be a first - commuting by cruise ship.

Our flight is 11:30 AM.

Thank you for the explanations. It seems simple enough. I'll look for the form to arrive. Thanks again for your help.

I'd never consider a 1130am flight an EARLY flight. You will have more than enough time and will be twidling your thumbs while waiting at the gate. ;) We have been to FLL more times than you can count after cruises and always book our flight times between 915am and 1145am. We are always at the gate waiting between 730am and 8am.

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

I'd never consider a 1130am flight an EARLY flight. You will have more than enough time and will be twidling your thumbs while waiting at the gate. ;) We have been to FLL more times than you can count after cruises and always book our flight times between 915am and 1145am. We are always at the gate waiting between 730am and 8am.

After doing a walk-off after the Ruby TA in October 2012, we arrived at the airport at 11:30 for an 11:30 flight. We made our flight only because the flight was delayed.

It was the disembarkation from hell...Princess' disorganization and not enough immigration personnel came together to cause the perfect storm. Who would have thought there was any chance we might miss an 11:30 flight?

Lew

You will set your bags out the night before arrival. You will have been given tags to put on your bags, These tags will corespond too your departure time. When the ship is cleared to depart passengers you will leave by your colored tag. After you get off the ship your bags will be in a large area with other bags of your same group. You will then find your own bags and go through a custom line for clearance.

After doing a walk-off after the Ruby TA in October 2012, we arrived at the airport at 11:30 for an 11:30 flight. We made our flight only because the flight was delayed.

It was the disembarkation from hell...Princess' disorganization and not enough immigration personnel came together to cause the perfect storm. Who would have thought there was any chance we might miss an 11:30 flight?

Lew

That sounds like a mess; but is certainly the exception.

We have always made flights between 0915 and 0945 with plenty of time for snacks at the airport.

However one should always have a backup plan for their flights, know your airline's schedule.

Mike:)

For us, 11:30 AM is early. We have always taken much later flights and spent way too much time in the airport in the past, with the exception of last cruise when we did an excursion in the rain in Ft. Lauderdale! The 11:30 AM was a direct flight and a chance to get home for a birthday party.

How does it work if we don't want to carry our bags off the ship. Is there a porter to help

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

With the early walk off there is no one to help until you get past customs.