Formal nights question.....again

HMSDingy

Last time we cruised was in 2010 and although this question has been asked for the upteenth time, still curious as to tuxes on formal nights. Except for our Panama cruise with RCCL, I've always rented a tux. Are tuxes still de rigeur on Princess' Caribbean cruises or have they gone the way of the dodo bird.

Last time we cruised was in 2010 and although this question has been asked for the upteenth time, still curious as to tuxes on formal nights. Except for our Panama cruise with RCCL, I've always rented a tux. Are tuxes still de rigeur on Princess' Caribbean cruises or have they gone the way of the dodo bird.

I believe the high cost of packing a bag with just formal clothing is the greatest single factor in the less-than-formal trend. We just returned from a ten-day Caribbean cruise aboard Emerald and I didn't see a single gentleman in a tux or lady in a "gown". I know you plan to rent but the ladies still pack `n haul aboard their frocks.

I will say that quite a few (my wife & I included) couples in the MDR were dressed in suits and fancy dress, what used to called your "Sunday best". Many of the others wore a coat with/without a tie.

So, I would have to say that you, in a tux, would be out of place on a Caribbean itinerary (or possibly any other non-European itinerary).

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

Depends

Caribbean, Alaska, Hawaii, not a large percentage in real "formal" wear. Many are in nice dresses/slacks and suits & ties or sport jacket and tie. Some men wear the shirt and tie w/o a jacket, some jacket w/o a tie.

In Europe you will find a higher percentage in formal wear, but the remainder are as described above.

In any case, formal wear is for the main dining rooms, other dining venues are either smart casual, or just casual all the time. Gone are the days on Princess where all passengers are in black tie all evening.

I believe the high cost of packing a bag with just formal clothing is the greatest single factor in the less-than-formal trend. We just returned from a ten-day Caribbean cruise aboard Emerald and I didn't see a single gentleman in a tux or lady in a "gown". I know you plan to rent but the ladies still pack `n haul aboard their frocks.

I will say that quite a few (my wife & I included) couples in the MDR were dressed in suits and fancy dress, what used to called your "Sunday best". Many of the others wore a coat with/without a tie.

So, I would have to say that you, in a tux, would be out of place on a Caribbean itinerary (or possibly any other non-European itinerary).

Enjoy!

Hi...We also cruised on the Emerald in March (19-29) although there are less than years before, there were plenty of men in tuxes. Three of them sat at my table with me in the MDR. Tux or suit is a matter of preference and comfort. They both take up the same room in luggage. Women's beaded gowns on the other hand, weigh so much that you see less and less.

Actually renting a tux saves you luggage space. My wife isn't bringing a gown per say but a cocktail dress to also save luggage space. It also saves me from bringing a suit bag. I don't know what the American arlines are charging but Air Canada charges $35 for the extra bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted a general consensus but I will rent a tux. Minority or not I still believe in dressing up on formal nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was on the royal apr6, I bet more than 30% were in tuxes.

Takes as much room to pack a nice jacket as a tux. I always pack a tux, but how many of you own a tux? So dark suit is just as fine

I would say this is incorrect, most men still wear a tux or at the very least a smart dark suit.
I agree. It probably depends on the length of the cruise but I rarely see gentlemen without dark suit on formal nights. Of course, I tend to take longer cruises.

My last three cruises were the two-week Hawaiian cruise and I did noticed many wearing tuxes. I didn't go around counting the number of tuxes vs suits (dark or not -- my hubby didn't wear a dark suit, but he wore dress shirts, ties and jacket to formal nights) vs dress shirt without jacket (one man wore a plain colored dress shirt without tie or jacket). It could be too that all three were holiday cruises and I think people wanted to look dressy.

I spent 2 weeks on the Crown in the caribbean and I'd say tuxes were at least 30%. I always bring mine-and often my dinner jacket (on the last cruise there were 4 formal nights and I alternated from tux to dinner jacket).

I just returned from the same cruise....this was the most tuxedo worn on any cruise that I seen. many many men were wearing tuxs and many women wore gowns. it was the "smart casual" that was different. I didn't see many suits worn. People were commenting on how much tuxedos were worn and loving it! I thought the 2 formal nights was the most beautiful I've ever seen! People dressed up to the nines! Gowns looked so pricey! I seen many beautiful expensive gowns worn!

Enjoy!

This was definitely not the case on our recently completed 10 day Emerald cruise in the Caribbean.

I would say most men were in suits, sport coats and ties as well as tuxes. This may be in part due to the large number of folks on board from the UK (I believe the number was north of 600 passengers).

There were men more casually dressed, but they were definitely in the minority in the MDR.

Sat to Sat cruise.

Sun: sea day

Mon: Juneau 11a - 10p

Tues: Skagway 6a - 8p

Wed: Glacier Bay

Thur: Ketchikan 7a - 12:30p

Fri: Victoria 7p - 12a

The second formal night could be on Wednesday. The glacier cruisings don't last all day so probably from morning to mid-afternoon, but not during the evening. You don't get off the ship.