HAL Officially Announces Dive In Fleetwide

InTheWASide

We had it on the Maasdam - just off a week and a bit ago and it did take longer. about 15 minutes. No lineup when we went but we still waited.

DH loved the hamburger. I tried a hotdog and while the hotdog was semi hot the onions that went on it were ice cold.

but that was just one time and one experience.

ARGH! This has been our experience with the current burger grills on HAL. Long waits for a burger (or even hot dog) which seems to be due to the lack of staffing. We hope HAL can spare at least 2 crew members to work at these new venues.

Hank

P.S. We wonder if the "heads" at HAL had any knowledge that NCL has had their "Dive In" program for over thirty years. On NCL this is a snorkel/SCUBA program. I can just imagine some new HAL cruiser, who has previously cruised on NCL, showing up for a burger wearing their snorkel and mask :)

Edited by Hlitner

Just a comment: over years of having burgers at the Terrace Grill, I've noted how few passengers are truly polite to the staffers behind the grill. Some say "please" and "thank you", but it seems more just state their order, take it, and walk away. Some are even quite brusque about it. (Come to think of it, the same holds true at the Lido line.)

I've always thought that these guys behind the grill work hard, and in hot steamy conditions. So I've made it a point to smile, say "hello" and ask politely for what I'd like. I've been amazed at the dazzling smiles and happy eyes that have greeted me when I've done this.

Maybe that's because I also like Random Acts of Kindness .... lol.

Again, just my 2¢ ...

Just a comment: over years of having burgers at the Terrace Grill, I've noted how few passengers are truly polite to the staffers behind the grill. Some say "please" and "thank you", but it seems more just state their order, take it, and walk away. Some are even quite brusque about it. (Come to think of it, the same holds true at the Lido line.)

I've always thought that these guys behind the grill work hard, and in hot steamy conditions. So I've made it a point to smile, say "hello" and ask politely for what I'd like. I've been amazed at the dazzling smiles and happy eyes that have greeted me when I've done this.

Again, just my 2¢ ...

Excellent point and I couldn't agree more. I've noticed downright rudeness every day. :( One time after the person behind me in line snapped at the server in the Lido, I caught the server's eye, gave a big smile and shrug of my shoulders as if to say "what's his problem?!" and the look of appreciation made my day.

I had the very same thought about eating at a "dive"..... ;)

I thought the name was referring to it being near the pool though (even though you can't "dive in" there).

"Dives" have the best food....just ask Guy Fieri!!

Again, just my 2¢ ...

I hope there are many people like you on my cruise! No matter what I am being assisted with - a smile, please and thank you get me so much farther than a grumpy bad attitude.

Random Acts of Kindness are my favorite thing - I get all kind of pleasure from buying breakfast or coffee for the person behind me at the drive-thru

I hope there are many people like you on my cruise! No matter what I am being assisted with - a smile, please and thank you get me so much farther than a grumpy bad attitude.

Random Acts of Kindness are my favorite thing - I get all kind of pleasure from buying breakfast or coffee for the person behind me at the drive-thru

Thanks for the kind words. And *I* would like to cruise with YOU :)

Tried the dive inn on the Westy today. Very ordinary. I don't understand why everyone makes a fuss. It looked better then it tasted. Fries were good.

Thanks for that feedback. I'm rather torn about whether to try it -- I'm not a huge fan of burgers (except Big Macs :D ) -- with all the raves, I was thinking I might miss out if I didn't try.

Thanks for that feedback. I'm rather torn about whether to try it -- I'm not a huge fan of burgers (except Big Macs :D ) -- with all the raves, I was thinking I might miss out if I didn't try.

I'm not a huge burger fan either. Maybe that's the problem

at least you're not out anything except a few minutes if you don't like it

at least you're not out anything except a few minutes if you don't like it

I've recently become sensitized to calorie counts :eek: but I also hate to see food wasted. I'd feel compelled to take in all those unnecessary calories even if I didn't particularly care for the burger ;) I may try a piece from a friend's, and see what I think.

I've recently become sensitized to calorie counts :eek: but I also hate to see food wasted. I'd feel compelled to take in all those unnecessary calories even if I didn't particularly care for the burger ;) I may try a piece from a friend's, and see what I think.

but but someone said all the calories go into the salt air on the ship

darn I must reconsider this....you can get a rear view of me and know there have not been many burgers that I didn't like.....

I hate wasting food too. It makes me crazy when people order a ton of food and take 2 bites of it and leave it. Why not order one thing and finish it if you have such a delicate appetite?

Not a problem Betty - just tell them you want it. and you will get it. It's the wait time that seemed strange to me - how long does it take to cook a hamburger/hotdog when there is no one waiting?

If you wanted a really rare one, you should have been at lunch in the PG on the Maasdam with us. I ordered it medium and it was so pink - nearly raw in the middle - uggh. Bet you would have loved it :)

Jacquie, You hit the nail on the head..I would have loved it!

Like several others, I know I putting my life on the line eating rare or med rare, but I've been putting my life on the line every day..:eek: :D LOL

Have a good day..

Betty

Anyone know if they're keeping the grilled salmon as an option ? Or the lamb burgers ?

They were not available on the NA.

Several people -- including by DH -- asked for the salmon burger.

If people keep asking for it, it may come back. Just like the Caesar Salad on the NA in the Pinnacle Grill is now back like it used to be done -- tableside and original way of making it.

If people keep asking for it, it may come back. Just like the Caesar Salad on the NA in the Pinnacle Grill is now back like it used to be done -- tableside and original way of making it.

The original Caesar Salad is back in the Pinnacle? Yippee!!! I wonder/hope if it's on all ships .... we're sailing Amsterdam soon and loved the Caesar Salad ....

I think one of the biggest draws of the new "dive-in" is that the burgers ARE freshly ground. No pre-frozen patties now.

It's been mentioned over and over on this board that just about everything is frozen. I'm on a 14 day cruise right now. With all due respect how could they be fresh for that long. I doubt they are butchering a cow in the back.

It's been mentioned over and over on this board that just about everything is frozen. I'm on a 14 day cruise right now. With all due respect how could they be fresh for that long. I doubt they are butchering a cow in the back.

Lorene, I'd like to think they would defrost a few pounds of ground beef and make fresh patties from that daily.:)

Lorene, I'd like to think they would defrost a few pounds of ground beef and make fresh patties from that daily.:)

That's how I understood it, too. I think they are defrosting beef, grinding it, and hand forming the patties. FAR less processing than a Big Mac.

That's how I understood it, too. I think they are defrosting beef, grinding it, and hand forming the patties. FAR less processing than a Big Mac.

Maybe so, but I just don't understand why someone has to take a poke at someone that may enjoy and occasional Big Mac. I think it's so sad that some people deny themselves every single thing that might be "bad" for them and wonder around looking sickly because they are skin and bones. Isn't it ok for people to treat themselves once in a while?

Maybe so, but I just don't understand why someone has to take a poke at someone that may enjoy and occasional Big Mac. I think it's so sad that some people deny themselves every single thing that might be "bad" for them and wonder around looking sickly because they are skin and bones. Isn't it ok for people to treat themselves once in a while?

I don't think they were putting anyone down for liking a big Mac. However I think most people would agree that a fast food burger is not the same as a restaurant burger and not to be compared. I won't touch McDonalds, but I'm not denying myself anything other than a horrible sandwich. I admit to liking other fast food, like Taco Bell but I won't call it Mexican.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I don't think they were putting anyone down for liking a big Mac. However I think most people would agree that a fast food burger is not the same as a restaurant burger and not to be compared. I won't touch McDonalds, but I'm not denying myself anything other than a horrible sandwich. I admit to liking other fast food, like Taco Bell but I won't call it Mexican.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yes, that is what I meant. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums