HAL Officially Announces Dive In Fleetwide

InTheWASide

RCCL does it with their Johnny Rockets restaurants. There is a charge for their hamburgers and hot dogs at that venue.

But that was to discourage teen agers from overtaking it and not because of overhead. When it was no charge kids apparently would fill up all the seats and not leave, giving no one else an opportunity to eat there. It's also a full service restaurant.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We applaud HAL trying to improve the grill offerings (the only way they can go is up) but doubt if they will allow their cooks to make a rare or medium rare burger. IMHO, when you grill a burger till its well done, and then grill it again, nothing is going to make it good :).

For those that would site USPHS rules on burgers we would not the policy on Princess. They also post the usual health warnings...but have a hidden book (under the counter) where a passenger can sign a release to get something cooked rare, med rare or med. And yes, we do sign our life away to get our rare meat :)

Hank

Hank, We agree with you on this.. It would be nice to be able to get a rare or med. rare burger on HAL..Yes, we also know the UPHS rules & would be willing to sign a release!

Didn't realize Princess does it, but when we were on Oceania they also were able to cook them rare.. Don't know if they still do..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

RCCL does it with their Johnny Rockets restaurants. There is a charge for their hamburgers and hot dogs at that venue.

This Royal Caribbean has a charge but every time we went by Johnny Rockets while on our spring break cruise it was empty - at the most we saw four people there at one time

Could anyone who has allready experienced the DIVE-In hamburgers please let us know if there is a choice in the size of the hamburger pattys. :confused: We prefer a thin meat patty, quarter lb. is to much meat for Jane and the maximum for Gary.

The Dive-In was already in operation on the Nieuw Amsterdam when we were on her March/April.

The hamburgers were better than the ones in the past -- still not the sirloin meat we buy at home.

Nathan's hot dogs were never big ones -- so don't expect to get big ones on the ship.

Was it possible or order just a plain hamburger without all the extras. I don't like sauces and cheese on my burgers Thanks

This is great news. The Grille has always been an issue for us since it is a favorite spot, and we have said for years they should add chicken and other options besides just the hamburgers and hot dogs.

Was it possible or order just a plain hamburger without all the extras. I don't like sauces and cheese on my burgers Thanks

You need to ask. Most ships just automatically think everyone wants cheese on their burger.

To answer some questions above:

1) It was on the Westerdam on the 3/22 sailing. Captain Scott said it would be "reconfigured" during the Dry Dock that was just completed.

2) The Vegetarian "burger" is a large portabella mushroom with the stated toppings. Note: They ran out of these around 3:00pm each day.

3) You can get just a burger or a hot dog and leave it at that.

4) They will cook the burger any way you wish, but you have to specifically request that. They are cooked to "medium" unless you request otherwise. There is the standard "undercooked meat...blah...blah...blah..." disclaimer on the menu board.

5) The hot dogs are larger than the standard Nathan's dogs you get in the supermarket. The one with the kraut and bacon is awesome. I think I had 8 or 9 of them in just the 5 days I noticed the Dive In replaced the Terrace Grill.

This is the first time I ever gained weight on a cruise. I must place partial blame on the switch to the Dive In.

Edited by K&RCurt

To answer some questions above:

1) It was on the Westerdam on the 3/22 sailing. Captain Scott said it would be "reconfigured" during the Dry Dock that was just completed.

2) The Vegetarian "burger" is a large portabella mushroom with the stated toppings. Note: They ran out of these around 3:00pm each day.

3) You can get just a burger or a hot dog and leave it at that.

4) They will cook the burger any way you wish, but you have to specifically request that. They are cooked to "medium" unless you request otherwise. There is the standard "undercooked meat...blah...blah...blah..." disclaimer on the menu board.

5) The hot dogs are larger than the standard Nathan's dogs you get in the supermarket. The one with the kraut and bacon is awesome. I think I had 8 or 9 of them in just the 5 days I noticed the Dive In replaced the Terrace Grill.

This is the first time I ever gained weight on a cruise. I must place partial blame on the switch to the Dive In.

Oh that's a shame. I liked the veggie burgers before but the thought of a hot slimy mushroom on bread makes my stomach churn ....:(

Found the comment "they will cook the burger any way you wish" interesting. We only have about 300 days on HAL, have always asked for a rare burger on HAL, and have always been told NO! In fact, we got pretty friendly with the grill cook on the Westerdam and tried to urge him to "undercook" a burger but he said he could lose his job for cooking anything less then well done. When we go back on HAL (it will be a long cruise on the Oosterdam in the fall) we will hope that a rare burger is in our future :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hank, We agree with you on this.. It would be nice to be able to get a rare or med. rare burger on HAL..Yes, we also know the UPHS rules & would be willing to sign a release!

Didn't realize Princess does it, but when we were on Oceania they also were able to cook them rare.. Don't know if they still do..

Betty

Not a problem Betty - just tell them you want it. and you will get it. It's the wait time that seemed strange to me - how long does it take to cook a hamburger/hotdog when there is no one waiting?

If you wanted a really rare one, you should have been at lunch in the PG on the Maasdam with us. I ordered it medium and it was so pink - nearly raw in the middle - uggh. Bet you would have loved it :)

But that was to discourage teen agers from overtaking it and not because of overhead. When it was no charge kids apparently would fill up all the seats and not leave, giving no one else an opportunity to eat there. It's also a full service restaurant.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

But there is a charge.

Edited by kjw869

Oh that's a shame. I liked the veggie burgers before but the thought of a hot slimy mushroom on bread makes my stomach churn ....:(

so many different likes/dislikes - I won't even eat a "veggie burger" but I do love grilled portabellas - more like steak than a burger even!!

Found the comment "they will cook the burger any way you wish" interesting. We only have about 300 days on HAL, have always asked for a rare burger on HAL, and have always been told NO! In fact, we got pretty friendly with the grill cook on the Westerdam and tried to urge him to "undercook" a burger but he said he could lose his job for cooking anything less then well done. When we go back on HAL (it will be a long cruise on the Oosterdam in the fall) we will hope that a rare burger is in our future :)

Hank

Smile pretty and ask nicely and maybe you'll get lucky.

Some chefs at the grill will cook the burger less well done when asked.

And what it could become shortened to...... I understand the reference to a drive in, but it could just get known as " that dive".... Not complimentary around here.

Kind of along the lines of GMs electric vehicle the "impact".

For those who have experienced the Dive In already, it is more crowded or take longer now that there are more options?

We had it on the Maasdam - just off a week and a bit ago and it did take longer. about 15 minutes. No lineup when we went but we still waited.

DH loved the hamburger. I tried a hotdog and while the hotdog was semi hot the onions that went on it were ice cold.

but that was just one time and one experience.

Any one know when they might do the changeover on the Prinsendam?

interesting question as the hamburgers are at the same place as the sandwiches on this ship. Frankly we enjoyed the hamburgers on her and I hope they don't do it too soon without figuring out logistics.

if no one else reports - I certainly will when we are on board:D

The fries on the Maasdam Dive-In this past Jan were outstanding - some sort of crispy coating on them - looking forward to having them on our planned cruises next year.:D

I found that the same fries as these were being served, along with the sweet potato fries, in the Lido on the Maasie in March/April.

And what it could become shortened to...... I understand the reference to a drive in, but it could just get known as " that dive".... Not complimentary around here.

Kind of along the lines of GMs electric vehicle the "impact".

I had the very same thought about eating at a "dive"..... ;)

I thought the name was referring to it being near the pool though (even though you can't "dive in" there).