Embarkation day lunch

Loreni

Is it being cut back fleet wide ?

Some have reported no choice of appetizers or desserts.

We don't eat at Horizon Court for a number of reasons, so we hope lunch is not being phased out. There is already no lunch on port days. We were assured that gluten free options would be available at the buffet. While this is true, cross contamination is possible. I was happy that the gluten free muffins at HC were kept in the back and we had to ask for one. Unfortunately, we were given the sugar-free muffin instead. Since I knew what the gluten free muffin looked like, I questioned this and it was corrected, but I won't take that risk again. It seems the workers at HC don't have the same level of training as those in the dining room, so with food allergies, we prefer the dining room.

The menu has been limited for quite a long time. A significant number of dining and maybe even kitchen staff are redirected to turnaround day activities. I recall in 2011 there was maybe one appetizer avail and one dessert and 3 or 4 entrees.

Is it being cut back fleet wide ?

Some have reported no choice of appetizers or desserts.

We don't eat at Horizon Court for a number of reasons, so we hope lunch is not being phased out. There is already no lunch on port days. We were assured that gluten free options would be available at the buffet. While this is true, cross contamination is possible. I was happy that the gluten free muffins at HC were kept in the back and we had to ask for one. Unfortunately, we were given the sugar-free muffin instead. Since I knew what the gluten free muffin looked like, I questioned this and it was corrected, but I won't take that risk again. It seems the workers at HC don't have the same level of training as those in the dining room, so with food allergies, we prefer the dining room.

Here is the embarkation day dining room menu from the CB in February.

Same as we had on the Ruby in March. BTW, the tenderloin was excellent and the cheeseburgers were "HUGE", and also excellent. Not the same as what you get at the burger bar topside or from room service. :cool:

Same as we had on the Ruby and have had for several years.

I haven't noticed any cutbacks lately.

Mike:)

This is also similar to what we had on Sapphire in October and January. So I guess any changes are not fleet wide. That is good to know.

IMO - that is one of the best lunch menus.

I also read about cutbacks some one posted recently.

I love it when people post things like that without documentation.:rolleyes:

It always gets a lively discussion going.

Thanks for posting the menus. I'm assuming it is similar to what we will see on the Island Princess in December. I'm sure we will be happy with whatever is served. It's just nice to know the DR will be open.

Happy cruising all!

I love it when people post things like that without documentation.:rolleyes:

It always gets a lively discussion going.

Not documentation but it's definitely been cutback on the Royal Princess. We noticed it immediately on our October Royal Princess cruise, and thought it might be a fleet wide change, but then the Emerald Princess had the old menu all winter. Then in March we were on the Royal Princess for the BVE and had that same, cutback menu again.

Yes, there have been reductions but it's not fleet wide.

(waiting to be told I've ruined someone's memory of their Royal Princess cruise by saying this...)

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

Not documentation but it's definitely been cutback on the Royal Princess. We noticed it immediately on our October Royal Princess cruise, and thought it might be a fleet wide change, but then the Emerald Princess had the old menu all winter. Then in March we were on the Royal Princess for the BVE and had that same, cutback menu again.

Yes, there have been reductions but it's not fleet wide.

(waiting to be told I've ruined someone's memory of their Royal Princess cruise by saying this...)

No, it'll go like this:

(a) We found the two offerings to be more than enough food.

(b) There were all kinds of other places to eat on the RP.

and

© If lunch is that important to you, there are other ships on the fleet that serve lunch.

Plus, a bonus retort:

(d) Eating a smaller luncheon merely makes it easier to fit onto our smaller balcony.

We had the menu that was posted in March on the Ruby, but in January on both the Emerald and Ruby the beef choice was strip loin. We thought the beef on the March Ruby cruises was not as good as the strip loin. On the second half of our b2b I had the delicious salmon for my embarkation lunch.

We don't find the embarkation lunch menu to be skimpy or short on choices. Lunch in the mdr is a nice, quiet way to begin our cruise, and we look forward to it.