MS Veendam Sail-Away-April 24, 2014

aliaschief

Check in did not happen during the lengthy wait.

All computers and cards and cameras were onboard. It took one hour to set up the check in desks.

As of now, half moon has been canceled. Disappointing. But they told us all day that we would muster at 9:15 and we were one of the first onboard and I don't see how they will even have all the passengers onboard by then.

42 minutes from check in to onboard, including a stop at the front desk because my newly issued key card wouldn't work. Dining room is empty, the hotel manager was handing out tickets as we boarded because they are only able to seat 600 and everyone is open dining tonight, obviously.

Check in did not happen during the lengthy wait.

All computers and cards and cameras were onboard. It took one hour to set up the check in desks.

As of now, half moon has been canceled. Disappointing. But they told us all day that we would muster at 9:15 and we were one of the first onboard and I don't see how they will even have all the passengers onboard by then.

Thanks for reporting. I'm sorry you had to be put through this. Terrible way to begin a cruise.

I had to be out of the house all day today; never thought I would get home and still see our beloved Veendam still in port. I will post Cruisinetta's photos as she sends them and as we have crew-friends on the Veendam, I am also feeling bad for their long and probably very hard day.

Just got an e-mail from Cruisinetta, with first photo. It's just her luggage, with a piece of ship-model "raw material" lashed to the outside. Here's the message and the photo; tomorrow I'll start a proper ship-build thread for her but right now I want to stay right here.

MESSAGE FROM CRUISINETTA: I sent you a picture. its not much is the only thing I could do while I was sitting waiting to get on the ship we did not get on the ship till 830 we're supposed to have a muster drill I guess in about 1030 we might leave at midnight and we're skipping our first port tomorrow which was Half Moon Cay I will say hello to your buddy for you don't worry about that

The "buddy" is our friend Holi, a dining steward and often the person who greets you at the MDR door for lunch seating. We've known Holi for a long time and last sailed with him in March this year.

Photo:

veendam-apr1.gif

A situation that the longer we cruise; a day like this has a chance of slimly happening to us someday.

After 52 years of combined military service I believe we could adapt and assist by being positive, patient and still excited to go on another Dam cruise.

The final decision resulting in this delay? Nothing is perfect but the safety and well being of passengers and crew is number 1.

I'm sure all agencies will meet and study and adapt from today's event.

Edited by aliaschief

It's ok Mamaofami, the west coast will cheer them out tonight! :)

PathfinderEss and I are here; maybe more?

Me too! I hope there are still some lights on when she sails. :) Especially near where my cabin will be. I just want to see it again. I know she will sail to New England in a week and I will be watching then too.