MS Veendam Sail-Away-April 24, 2014

aliaschief

Many of us have wondered why HAL ships sometimes dock at Pier 21 when Pier 26 is vacant. We may be seeing the answer to that this evening. It appears that a tug is needed to push the stern around when the ship backs into its berth at 26. Probably a tug would not be so needed for berthing at Pier 21. Using a tug would increase the cost of the docking.

Here are Cruisinetta's responses to your questions about compensation and prime rib:

they haven't said anything about compensation but I will bring it to their attention

no I think we're having hamburgers and hotdogs

hey will wave at all of you when we're leaving I'll be the one of the top of the flagpole

Did you notice the American Flag and how it was blowing. Captains call tug for safety.

I don't know, Chief. It's 5 mph winds from the SSE with 16 mph gusts. Pretty typical. The usual ships have been using tugs, but not the ones that usually don't. (After writing that, I realize that the sentence sucks.)

I'm back, and she's still not docked! Those poor waiting cruise passengers! It'll be dark by the time they get on board, and the day is shot! They'll have to go really fast to get to HMC tomorrow.:eek:

Edited by Vict0riann

The port schedule still shows a 0001 departure time. This will probably be the fastest turnaround time ever...if it happens then. We shall see.

Oh, just a thought... I wonder if Lou and / or Dave will be up to follow the sailaway. One could hope. LOL

Edited by KNOT2L82SAIL

I think we ought to take a minute and recognize the employees of the Port Agency. Consider what they have endured today. Probably most are still on the job, even though check-in is done--or is it? I would think an IT connection between the ship and the terminals on the pier would have to be completed before data/ID photos could be transmitted. Would they now have to complete the check-in process?

Many, many thanks Chief for all your work this season on the Sail Aways! Enjoy your time off! ;)

Thanks Dave and Lou for the great video!

Thanks to everyone here for the camaraderie! It's been great!

Will be here through sail away for Veendam.

I think we ought to take a minute and recognize the employees of the Port Agency. Consider what they have endured today. Probably most are still on the job, even though check-in is done--or is it? I would think an IT connection between the ship and the terminals on the pier would have to be completed before data/ID photos could be transmitted. Would they now have to complete the check-in process?

I agree. One of things that makes our democratic societies so great is the willingness of loyal team workers to come together and make it happen.

To all of the port Employees who get us embarked and disembarked on our Dam ships. Thanks for all the hard work and seldom praise or thanks; for all you do to make our cruises happen.

Today is surely not your fault but I'm sure you had to turn your cheek too many times. Yeah team!

Edited by aliaschief

I agree. One of things that makes our democratic societies so great is the willingness of loyal team workers to come together and make it happen.

To all of the port Employees who get us embarked and disembarked on our Dam ships. Thanks for all the hard work and seldom praise or thanks; for all you do to make our cruises happen.

Today is surely not your fault but I'm sure you had to turn your cheek too many times. Yeah team!

Cruisinetta reports that she is finally on board. And there are a lot of angry passengers.