New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

One rumor that a couple of people have heard recently is that the main theater will be a "360 degree" or "theater in the round", with a small center stage and a ring of audience seats sloping down to it. This would be good for solo or small-group entertainment, but not for large production shows.

Edited by jtl513

One rumor that a couple of people have heard recently is that the main theater will be a "360 degree" or "theater in the round", with a small center stage and a ring of audience seats sloping down to it. This would be good for solo or small-group entertainment, but not for large production shows..

It's a concept that has been adopted by many big production shows and works quite well for Cirque du Soleil, many music concerts (Celine Dion, etc...), Las Vegas shows and even now some Broadway shows.

It's a concept that has been adopted by many big production shows and works quite well for Cirque du Soleil, many music concerts (Celine Dion, etc...), Las Vegas shows and even now some Broadway shows.
I'm visualizing a much smaller stage than you seem to be talking about.

One rumor that a couple of people have heard recently is that the main theater will be a "360 degree" or "theater in the round", with a small center stage and a ring of audience seats sloping down to it. This would be good for solo or small-group entertainment, but not for large production shows.

On our last cruise we herd the same ..

Edited by we're sailing away....

What I would like to know is why was there a delay in beginning construction and why all of the secrecy regarding the design, etc.

I think there is no name yet b/c HAL wants to see what ship(s) it can sell before delivery and therefore re-use names.

I think it is all about secrecy and mystery and building interest. Probably all being driven by the Marketing Department. I wouldn't be surprised to see a "contest" for Mariners to name the new ship. Winner gets to attend the christening.

I think it is all about secrecy and mystery and building interest. Probably all being driven by the Marketing Department. I wouldn't be surprised to see a "contest" for Mariners to name the new ship. Winner gets to attend the christening.

They already have polled the Hal crews for a name for the new ship build and we have been told steel has been cut.

Edited by aliaschief

I am still going with what I heard last December. Groot Statendam.

Sail posted in January 2012 about the rumors that IF a new ship would be built, it would be the Grand Statendam. This was before the announcement of the new build.

As I recall, someone posted on CC that a crew member told him that name, which was in 2011.

Sail's post from 1/1/2012 (Post #586): http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=31784764

Edited by kjw869

Sail posted in January 2012 about the rumors that IF a new ship would be built, it would be the Grand Statendam. This was before the announcement of the new build.

As I recall, someone posted on CC that a crew member told him that name, which was in 2011.

Sail's post from 1/1/2012 (Post #586): http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=31784764

That was discussed in the thread I started. I was aware of the Grand Statendam talk. A higher up on the Noordam told me the name had already been chosen and it was going to be the Groot Statendam. Copper informed me that the ship had yet to be named. We'll see.

That was discussed in the thread I started. I was aware of the Grand Statendam talk. A higher up on the Noordam told me the name had already been chosen and it was going to be the Groot Statendam. Copper informed me that the ship had yet to be named. We'll see.

Yes, was told that also by probably the same person on the Noordam two months ago!!

I like the in the round idea for the main venue. Hopefully more info will come out soon. Seems strange to have so much secrecy when one would think they would want to drum up more interest. Some cruise lines are starting to reveal early 2016 schedules.

I agree with it may be tied to potential sales of the older ships too.

Oh well, we will keep watching.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am correct but except for Nieuw Amsterdam (partly) HAL has not been completely recycling names lately?? Yes, I know there is a history of doing it, as evidenced by the wonderful art on the ships.

Dennis

I am correct but except for Nieuw Amsterdam (partly) HAL has not been completely recycling names lately?? Yes, I know there is a history of doing it, as evidenced by the wonderful art on the ships.

Dennis

In the Vista Class, Noordam and Westerdam were previous HAL ships.

I am correct but except for Nieuw Amsterdam (partly) ...
MS Nieuw Amsterdam is a "full" recycle ... there was a prior one (1984-2000) and two prior SS Nieuw Amsterdam. It is not named after the MS Amsterdam, but after the Dutch name for New York City.
In the Vista Class, Noordam and Westerdam were previous HAL ships.
Also the current Zuiderdam is II ... the first one was launched in 1941. Edited by jtl513

Nieuw Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Noordam, Westerdam, Amsterdam, Statendam, Veendam, Volendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Zaandam, Zuiderdam and Prinsendam are all names that have been used more than once by Holland America. Oosterdom and Eurodam are new names, but they did have the Oosterdijk freighter previously. All their passenger ships were "dams" and their cargo ships "dijks". Eurodam is the only really "made up" name they have used recently.

I was surprised when the re-used "Prinsendam". Back in the early 80's after the sinking of the previous Prinsendam we were told by a Captain the the name would never be used again.

I guess normally when a ship sinks the name is retired (maritime superstition).