New Toilets on Diamond

Lanwood

DH is 6'2" and 220 lbs and thank goodness he did not have the problems of Brisbane41. He did say the seat was to short - front to back - but side to side was not an issue for him. Guess he made the necessary adjustments as needed. He did not use the bidet functions. I'm guessing that with most Japanese not being that tall, the ship's bidet size must work for them.

The warm seats were nice, but I got caught with the bidet function when I went to the toilet after someone who had obviously activated the bidet then left the toilet. When a weight (me) was placed on the seat, the bidet started up again. I got quite a shock.:D

Thanks for your words of caution:)

I am more like 34"-36" waist and thus I am quite distressed about this "news" as we will be on the Diamond for almost a month.

Can I ask the steward to replace the toilet seat with a regular one?

No. It is not just the seat. The toilet has the plumbing for the bidet. There is a control panel on the wall with a multitude of options, so I presume the whole unit is connected to the electrical supply.I am just thinking, if the control panel worked on a wireless system with the toilet itself, there could be a problem with someone activating one of the options in their cubicle, but the toilet in the next cubicle could pick up the signal and - hey presto - it would start on the wash and dry cycle. Therefore, I think the control panel and the toilet would have to be hard-wired together. (But I am not an expert.):)

From memory, the bidet took three minutes to wash and four minutes to dry the "wet parts". Who wants to sit there that long???:) Particularly if there is a queue of people waiting for the toilet.

The plumbing is actually all in the seat. I have one at home. And, yes, the remotes are cordless. They are battery operated but the seat is connected to the mains power. However they work on a very short range so it would be unlikely for them to affect the neighbouring cubicles, unless the cubicles are in some odd configuration. Remember these things are installed in department store toilets all over Japan so problems like that would have been sorted out years ago.

The dry function is a complete waste of time, IMHO.

It may be possible to get it swapped over, you would have to ask your steward.

From memory, the bidet took three minutes to wash and four minutes to dry the "wet parts". Who wants to sit there that long???:) Particularly if there is a queue of people waiting for the toilet.

You can control how long you wash, dry or any other function on the bidet just by pressing the red stop button. I tried all the buttons across the top and other than the "dry" button couldn't tell much difference between the "washes". Never tried the "child" or "energy saving" button.

From my observations there was a new water supply and electrical supply given to the toilet seat. If it can be installed it can probably be removed as well but would take up time that the cruise line is unlikely to spend. Given the ship is in Japan for a few years each summer I do not see them removing them any time soon unless too many passengers speak up about them.

I know what happened to me could easily happen to other people and it would be very embarrassing for them to speak up as there would be feelings of shame and also the fact the seats are so small it may make them feel large or overweight by saying their rear end is too big for a toilet seat.

In reality cruise ship toilets are compact units similar to what may be found in a caravan or campervan and are unsuitable for these types of seats given their compact size.

It was embarrassing for me knowing that the steward would have known what was happening. You see there is a small indentation around the rim of the seat and this indentation or lip managed to get covered in human waste that was difficult to remove. If you tilt your body forward and put your stomach almost on your knees whilst sitting it had the effect of sending the waste directly up that spray nozzle.

I did not think to sit sideways as mentioned in a post above as I found that the ring of toilet paper piled out on the seat worked in the end most of the time.

Brisbane 41 is quite right in saying there is an extra water supply needed for these toilets. When they removed them from the Sun Princess public areas, obviously they did not remove the ceramic pedestal, just the seat and all the fittings. The control panels and the extra water supply pipe were removed and the repaired holes in the are clearly visible in the walls - control panel on the side wall and the water supply hole low down on the back wall. :)

What a topic. :D

Well I'm way bigger around the waist than Brisbane41 and a lot heavier and I had no "issues" with these toilet seats in the suite on the Diamond last year. I was so pressed I now have one at home. I don't mind sitting a little longer for the full wash and dry :D:D

Brisbane 41 is quite right in saying there is an extra water supply needed for these toilets. When they removed them from the Sun Princess public areas, obviously they did not remove the ceramic pedestal, just the seat and all the fittings. The control panels and the extra water supply pipe were removed and the repaired holes in the are clearly visible in the walls - control panel on the side wall and the water supply hole low down on the back wall. :)

What a topic. :D

When you fit one at home you connect the seat to the normal cistern water supply using a T connection on the pipe, and then plug the power cord in. On ships those connections are hidden behind a panel so they probably had to cut extra holes for the seat water hose and the power cable to go through.

I'm quite surprised that Brisbane41 had so much difficulty. These bidet toilet seats have been around for many years in Japan. I've known many not-so-small Aussie businessmen who have travelled to Japan and not had issues with them. They are in all the business hotels. I haven't seen the ones on Diamond. My own one has a slightly smaller opening than the old toilet seat but DH has never complained.

When you fit one at home you connect the seat to the normal cistern water supply using a T connection on the pipe, and then plug the power cord in. On ships those connections are hidden behind a panel so they probably had to cut extra holes for the seat water hose and the power cable to go through.

I'm quite surprised that Brisbane41 had so much difficulty. These bidet toilet seats have been around for many years in Japan. I've known many not-so-small Aussie businessmen who have travelled to Japan and not had issues with them. They are in all the business hotels. I haven't seen the ones on Diamond. My own one has a slightly smaller opening than the old toilet seat but DH has never complained.

The seats in Japan are much larger and have a longer more rectangle shape to them. The ones on Diamond Princess are narrow and more circle. The ones in Japanese hotels also seem to have a longer basin in the toilet and alter water levels when someone sits down on the seat. I have used them in Japanese hotels in Tokyo, Kobe, Nagoya, Hiroshima, Yokohama and never encountered an issue in those hotels.

From my observations there was a new water supply and electrical supply given to the toilet seat. If it can be installed it can probably be removed as well but would take up time that the cruise line is unlikely to spend. Given the ship is in Japan for a few years each summer I do not see them removing them any time soon unless too many passengers speak up about them.

I'm with you on the fancy-pants toilet seat.

I was also in a mini-suite on the Diamond Princess last month (July).

I took one look at the seat, particularly the small clearance on the front end ;), and immediately "Noped" out of it. I visualized all the problems you experienced before they even had a chance to happen. :D

My steward had maintenance come down and replace the seat with a standard one that first afternoon.

So they WILL remove them on request. Protip for Paulchili and other "Western-sized" people sailing on the Diamond Princess.

So they WILL remove them on request. Protip for Paulchili and other "Western-sized" people sailing on the Diamond Princess.

Thank you - that's a relief :)

I should have put it on my "stateroom preferences" - if it had been an option :D :D.

I will address it promptly upon embarkation.

I'm with you on the fancy-pants toilet seat.

I was also in a mini-suite on the Diamond Princess last month (July).

I took one look at the seat, particularly the small clearance on the front end ;), and immediately "Noped" out of it. I visualized all the problems you experienced before they even had a chance to happen. :D

My steward had maintenance come down and replace the seat with a standard one that first afternoon.

That's great. :)

• 1 month later...
Our cabin on the Diamond had a standard Western toilet. The ones we saw in the public areas were Japanese seats like those in the hotels.

Seems a slow process to change them, last November standard everywhere I went, we were in a balcony.

I understand the new Majestic Princess will have 'squats'...as it will be home ported in and cater to the Chinese market. ;-)

Do you have any evidence to support this as a quick search of the internet using those parameters comes up with no results.

While I realise that the squat toilets are more healthy for the shape of the body, I suspect there may be a trip hazard and slip hazard on a cruise ship and they would have to comply with certain regulations. I cannot see how they would be safe on a moving ship. If the ship was in rough seas and someone put their foot in it and tripped it could lead to serious injury or death. It could also lead to flooding in the bathroom if there is a blockage. So is there any evidence that the ship is getting these style of toilets?

I understand the new Majestic Princess will have 'squats'...as it will be home ported in and cater to the Chinese market. ;-)

Do you have any evidence to support this as a quick search of the internet using those parameters comes up with no results.

While I realise that the squat toilets are more healthy for the shape of the body, I suspect there may be a trip hazard and slip hazard on a cruise ship and they would have to comply with certain regulations. I cannot see how they would be safe on a moving ship. If the ship was in rough seas and someone put their foot in it and tripped it could lead to serious injury or death. It could also lead to flooding in the bathroom if there is a blockage. So is there any evidence that the ship is getting these style of toilets?

I think you missed the wink! ;)

• 3 months later...
are the TOTO seats in all cabins or only some, I have a standard wash seat at home even with only cold water feel much better, cleaner (FYI) COSTCO CARRY THESE TYPE OF SEATS.

We were on the Diamond in November where we had a Japanese toilet in our mini suite so I'm guessing the suites have them as well.

Public areas had them but our tablemates in a inside did not and I understand the balcony and OV cabins do not either.

I believe they will be all changed out eventually.