CAUTION!!!! sticky finger on the GRAND

Cruisers from WA

:mad: On May 13, while having lunch, shortly (after embarcation) someone entered our room and took money from my wallet and money from my husband's wallet. We did report it to the pursers desk and then 3 princess people went to our cabin and searched our room and all of our belongings, what an invasion....even going through my undies! :rolleyes:

Anyone else have problems on the Grand?

(we know that room service entered our room and left our ultimate coke pkg tumblers and stickers on our desk, while we were gone, and our steward the next day looked like a deer in headlights....so disappointed 31 cruises and this has never happened to us before this cruise.

:mad: On May 13, while having lunch, shortly (after embarcation) someone entered our room and took money from my wallet and money from my husband's wallet. We did report it to the pursers desk and then 3 princess people went to our cabin and searched our room and all of our belongings, what an invasion....even going through my undies! :rolleyes:

(we know that room service entered our room and left our ultimate coke pkg tumblers and stickers on our desk, while we were gone, and our steward the next day looked like a deer in headlights....so disappointed 31 cruises and this has never happened to us before this cruise.

Why were your wallets and valuables not in the safe? The steward looked frightened because he got the 3rd degree and his belongings were also searched. don't complain about the invasion-it's standard procedure. A lot of times people report things stolen when they are just misplaced.

Sorry you had to experience this....

When you make accusations that somebody commited theft from your cabin then a cabin search is one of the first things done. It is not required or mandatory but if you want a thorough investigation then you should not be upset when this is performed. Everything is gone through during this search.

It's such a feeling of violation to be robbed. Unless it has happened to you, you have no idea how it feels. So, my sympathy to you. I hope they can figure out who did it so others are spared. And, after already bring violated, the ensuing search makes you feel re violated, even when you know it's a necessity.

As to whether or not you had your belongings on the safe... I've Been less than vigilant about that when cruising. It's so easy to relax your usual safety awareness on a ship. And I work in a jail! I don't trust anyone!! But, regardless of whether or not you used the safe, you shouldn't have been robbed. I refuse to blame a victim. It's something I see all too often where I work & I refuse to follow the criminal mentality of "they were asking for it." You weren't. You simply believed in goodness & got hit for it. And, I'm so sorry you did. Crime sucks. :( I hope

the rest of your cruise was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I admit - I never put my wallet in the safe. Thankfully, I have never had a problem.

I am sure the room steward is scared for his job.

I hope they are able to find who did this.

Edited by Coral

I always have the attitude if its worth stealing, lock it up.

Just like airlines, only pack stuff you can lose in your checked luggage.

May not have been staff, as the room is wedged ooen while worked on, but if it was anither guest, all the money would have been taken. This means the person had lots of time to go through your wallets.

Hope it wasn't just you forgetting you bought something earlier

Why were your wallets and valuables not in the safe? The steward looked frightened because he got the 3rd degree and his belongings were also searched.
I agree. I can't imagine anyone leaving a wallet, money or valuables anywhere but in the safe. Accusing the steward of theft is a very serious charge and could cost him his job. No wonder he looked frightened, particularly since there's no proof other than your word that you foolishly left cash out and available.

My wallet is the first thing to go in the safe when I board, my husbands is always in his pocket. I would never leave them out in the open no matter where I am. Hope they find who actually did this, as you are not sure at this time. Lesson learned, lock up your valuables.

I'm sorry this happened to the OP.

I have seen on more than one cruise that a steward will leave more than one stateroom door open when cleaning, so it is easy to slip in and out undetected by the steward. We always leave our valuables in the safe.

It's such a feeling of violation to be robbed. Unless it has happened to you, you have no idea how it feels. So, my sympathy to you. I hope they can figure out who did it so others are spared. And, after already bring violated, the ensuing search makes you feel re violated, even when you know it's a necessity.

As to whether or not you had your belongings on the safe... I've Been less than vigilant about that when cruising. It's so easy to relax your usual safety awareness on a ship. And I work in a jail! I don't trust anyone!! But, regardless of whether or not you used the safe, you shouldn't have been robbed. I refuse to blame a victim. It's something I see all too often where I work & I refuse to follow the criminal mentality of "they were asking for it." You weren't. You simply believed in goodness & got hit for it. And, I'm so sorry you did. Crime sucks. :( I hope

the rest of your cruise was great.

No he shouldn't have been robbed, but by the same token, you don't leave valuables out in the open tempting those with larceny in their hearts. There is no blaming the victim, but he is responsible for the theft.

My wallet is the first thing to go in the safe when I board, my husbands is always in his pocket. I would never leave them out in the open no matter where I am. Hope they find who actually did this, as you are not sure at this time. Lesson learned, lock up your valuables.

Both of ours go into the safe too, They stay there until we head ashore. :)

And I work in a jail! I don't trust anyone!! But, regardless of whether or not you used the safe, you shouldn't have been robbed.

I too feel sorry for the OP.

However, you work in a jail and don't know the difference between burglary, robbery, and larceny?

I volunteer at our local PD doing crime analysis and can tell you that the OP was not robbed. :D

I too feel sorry for the OP.

However, you work in a jail and don't know the difference between burglary, robbery, and larceny?

I volunteer at our local PD doing crime analysis and can tell you that the OP was not robbed. :D

You beat me to it. In the courts we use the term robbery if one has had items taken by force or fear. At any rate, many people use the term robbery when they've been burglarized. OP, so sorry for your loss. However, we never leave items of value outside of the safe. Never have. Trust no one, ever.

oh dear. while I do lock up my wallet and passport, I have always left my laptop on the desk. maybe it helps that its not a newer one?! my ipad is often at the bedside table. I guess it will go in the safe now. I don't like being suspicious of everyone. but out of sight, out of mind I suppose.

and I would never, ever go in someone else's cabin to speak to the steward. that is much too invasive. by the way, if you go in mine, my stuff is now locked up. ;)

We almost always lock up our passports, wallets, money, jewelry, etc., but one morning I accidentally left out my jewelry when I went to the gym. When I came back to the cabin, the steward was there with a supervisor. The minute the steward saw the jewelry, he called a supervisor to come to the cabin. He was taking no chances with his job.

I felt very foolish for having left it out. I never do that--well never except that one time. :p

I dislike people who blame the victim in any situation. In this case, the boundary is the door, not the safe! We were on that cruise and our safe was locked shut when we checked into our cabin--so we could not use it. The steward had to go through maintenance to get someone to unlock it (after muster) and that meant we stuck around our cabin instead of seeing the ship....so you see not everything happens perfectly when you get to your cabin. OP, so sorry you went through this, not a good way to start a vacation........ :(

You had this horrid experience.Its a hard lesson to learn.I always say most folks are honest thank goodness.:) Then there are the few that are true creeps.:(

I am also so sorry you went through that experience. We were on the same cruise, and also the Hawaii one prior to that, and our group of 11 did not experience anything negative.

I did use the safe for valuables, but can certainly understand how people on holiday relax and could easily let their guard down.

What deck were you on? We were in a Caribe balcony.

We also always lock the wallets and passports in the safe when we board. Also, we don't leave electronics out. BTW, I do the same thing in hotels. And the reason is not the steward (or the maid in the case of the hotel) - because I don't think in general people would risk their job for the sake of a laptop etc (they are the first suspected) but as others have said, the door is left open.

To the OP, sorry this happened to you.

I dislike people who blame the victim in any situation. In this case, the boundary is the door, not the safe! We were on that cruise and our safe was locked shut when we checked into our cabin--so we could not use it. The steward had to go through maintenance to get someone to unlock it (after muster) and that meant we stuck around our cabin instead of seeing the ship....so you see not everything happens perfectly when you get to your cabin. OP, so sorry you went through this, not a good way to start a vacation........ :(

I find it hilarious that most people on this board think that those little safes in the cabin are actually safe...most people who travel frequently know they are not....there are so many different ways that they can easily be opened....there are other ways to secure valuables that have not even been mentioned here....but I agree.....the victim has been through enough without being chastised for not using a little metal box they call a safe....:)