Is Princess charging room service fees fleet wide or only on the Regal?

4cats4me

Guess it gives new meaning to their new slogan to "come back new" while being lied to about what is included. :rolleyes:

To me it's also a trust issue & I no longer trust Princess to provide what they say they will give us. :rolleyes:

Princess just changed the logo from "Come back new" to "Come back broke!"

I am certain this is a trial, and If successful will be rolled out on all ships. Princess wouldn't risk ********* off people for a one off experiment. Why do such bait and switch on the inaugural cruise of the new flagship of the fleet. You are getting extremely bad press from what should have been a great event. Bad form Princess :( :( :(

NOTE: There was no word edited by CC above. I will let you fill in the blank with a appropriate word.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

Princess just changed the logo from "Come back new" to "Come back broke!"

Yes, that was just posted over there on FB :rolleyes:

Edited by 4cats4me

We cruised to Hawaii on Star Princess in April and were not charged a room service fee. Alfredo's was not available on the Star. Maybe it is just the Regal.

It's just the Regal... for now! If they start charging for the IC... Alfredo's doesn't matter much to me. I'd rather go to Crown Grill or Crab Shack.

This isn't right... Hopefully, Princess will see the error and fix the issue.

Distressing to say the least!

We really enjoy room service and always tip. If the fee is $3 per trip and not $3 per person, maybe I could live with that, but I sure will feel low not tipping the person who brings our breakfast.

On the Royal ( we made the TA last fall), Alfredo's was a favorite for a late lunch. I am sure I would not pay a cover charge. We don't normally drink wine, so that doesn't make the cover charge appealing.

We are long-time Princess customers. Hopefully they will not make changes that will erode their customer base.

Shirley

We were on Royal in Feb and were charged the $10 pp in Alfredo's. Personally I enjoyed it $10 worth.

I am certain this is a trial, and If successful will be rolled out on all ships. Princess wouldn't risk ********* off people for a one off experiment. Why do such bait and switch on the inaugural cruise of the new flagship of the fleet. You are getting extremely bad press from what should have been a great event. Bad form Princess :( :( :(

NOTE: There was no word edited by CC above. I will let you fill in the blank with a appropriate word.

I agree with you Brian and hopefully it's an experiment that will fail miserably.

I don't care to do business with any company that does not provide something they promise. I do not participate in Facebook but those who have posted what Princess replied basically sounds like they don't care if we're happy with the change or not.

Edited by Astro Flyer

The cruise lines are getting cocky, look at the uproar on X board about the changes to the drinks packages.

launching a new ship and failing to deliver what was promised as included complimentary amenities is an outrage.

Everyone on every cruise needs to be giving the F&B and the HD an earful of questions on what the plans are on the ship they are on.

I'm confused as to why so many are THIS upset over a $3 non mandatory charge, while in another post you all claim to be tipping on top of mandatory tips. I understand and agree that the change is annoying, and perhaps in poor taste. However, this is currently imposed on only one ship, and is not a required charge to sail. There are still many options in free dining, and if you already tip for room service on top of the daily accumulating tip, what is the big deal? I just don't use the 'premium' services that I don't want to pay for. I think it's silly to have a separate part of the ship you have to pay extra to use, instead of simply not allowing children to enter.. so I don't use it. Just my opinion..

Edited by A.stew12305

I'm confused as to why so many are THIS upset over a $3 non mandatory charge, while in another post you all claim to be tipping on top of mandatory tips. I understand and agree that the change is annoying, and perhaps in poor taste. However, this is currently imposed on only one ship, and is not a required charge to sail. There are still many options in free dining, and if you already tip for room service on top of the daily accumulating tip, what is the big deal? I just don't use the 'premium' services that I don't want to pay for. I think it's silly to have a separate part of the ship you have to pay extra to use, instead of simply not allowing children to enter.. so I don't use it. Just my opinion..

What disappoints & upsets me the most is their dishonesty by publicizing that something is included & then without notice to make changes without telling anyone...including their own employees or travel agents. They do not deliver on a promise and to me that's not the kind of company I want to use.

What disappoints & upsets me the most is their dishonesty by publicizing that something is included & then without notice to make changes without telling anyone...including their own employees or travel agents. They do not deliver on a promise and to me that's not the kind of company I want to use.

I completely agree with this, but has enough time been given to the company to respond and implement changes? I would think they would most likely finish out this current cruise before making any further decisions.

Hi All

Princess as a company is reasonable sensitive to media comments

As such if their face book page us flooded with complaints they will think a few dollars extra from silly charges is not worth all the bad press.

As to charges being from this side of the pond l prefer all inclusive so do not like all these little extra charges

We have travel agents here as well as one cruise line that only do all inclusive

Makes budgets easier to work out

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Travelling with a family on Princess is never a cheap option.

However one of the attractions is knowing that once the considerable cost is paid that there are relatively few extra expenses on top. This makes for a more special and less stressful holiday. For once we do not have to ration ourselves and the children to keep our costs reasonable.

Therefore the more extra costs Princess enforce the less attractive a Princess cruise becomes.

We a planning a big family get together cruise next summer. On this side of the pond P&O or Princess would be the lines we would consider giving our business to. With this change Princess is no longer a contender. Even if they did not introduce the changes before we SAIL how could we trust them not to change things during our cruise?

It is interesting to note that there was a recent report about airline profits soaring with the advent of surcharges. You pick the amenities you need or want and get charged for it. Your already expensive fare climbs with each bag you check, food and drink, leg space etc.

Has the cruise industry decided this is the way to go?

I will be very disappointed if they make this cruise wide.....especially a per person charge.....that would be $12 for a family to order from room service!

A nice pot of tea or room service breakfast before an early port is one of my favourite things and one of the few little luxuries left that was free! Edited by mcgratru

Don't use these services and the charges may not be expanded to other ships. One of the nice things about Princess has been all the dining options at no extra charge. I've got to think it has nothing to do with extra costs, as eating dinner in Alfredo's probably has less cost to them then a meal in the DR. Ditto with room service breakfast. So it's about getting extra $$ from passengers and not make them feel too bad. Kind of like the airlines. It's just bad policy. If the charges are successful, then expect the other "included" dining to be eroded away. Is the future free dining MDR's, & buffet only? Will there be a $1 charge for popcorn, $3 for 2 soft cookies? Maybe it's time to re-think cruising.

While Jan Swartz came from customer service, she and her boss, Stein Kruse, don't seem to know what that really is. Is Princess turning into the Econo-Lodge of cruise lines, where breakfast included means a bowl of cereal, a doughnut, and a cup of coffee.

I just did a fake booking on Regal. On the screen where it lists all of the room options you can click on "What's included in my cruise fare?". It clearly shows that 24 hour room service is included so I don't see how they can legally charge this fee?

If I was on the Regal I would definitely fight paying that fee!! Edited by mcgratru

This is disappointing on so many levels. I enjoy room service breakfast, but I won't be using it anymore unless that $3 goes directly to the servers delivering the tray as that's what I usually tipped. However, I doubt that is the reason for the charge.

I won't go to Alfredo's as neither of us drink alcohol due to medications. If I can pick my own fresh fruit from HC, why would I pay $3 to have it delivered? Will there be less fresh fruit in HC so prevent that from happening? Will you have to ask for fresh fruit in HC?

If these changes are on the Regal now I expect we can expect them fleetwide soon. Why is Princess still touting all their wonderful service and complimentary room service when that's no longer true?

This a big PR mistake. Edited by FritzG

I read on FB that on the Regal, when one orders a mixed drink, they are being charged an additional separate charge of $.75 for the mixer beverage used to make the drink!!

If true, that's really pushing the nickel-ing and dime-ing to a whole new level.