Is Princess charging room service fees fleet wide or only on the Regal?

4cats4me

Am following the live-from feed for the Regal. The OP states that there is a $10 pp fee at Alfredo's pizzeria and also a $3 pp room service fee for breakfast now, as well as a $3 fee for a fruit bowl in your stateroom.

In the past we've never been charged a room service fee for continental breakfast, and have always tipped

Has anyone else experienced such charges on other Princess ships?

thanks.

Edited by 4cats4me

This is the first I've heard of these extra fees. Room service is traditionally free on all lines I've ever cruised with the exception of pizza. I would be very surprised if a $3 room service fee were applied fleet-wide. As for Alfredo's, the Royal and Regal have a greatly expanded Alfredo's with a much greater variety of options than offered on other Princess ships. On those two ships, it's far more than pizza.

Edited by Pam in CA

Princess just confirmed these new fees on their Facebook page where people are busy stating their outrage. They said it's only on the Regal. I can sort of see the justification for Alfredo's and the fee does include a drink which can be a glass of wine...not that I'm happy about it. I just can't see the justification for the room service charge. Not only do they charge for the fruit bowl but each refill is considered a new room service charge. I'm really disappointed that Princess would take this route especially for the people currently sailing that had not been notified prior to their cruise.

Edited by CruisingJs

Here is the corporate response from Princess on FB.........

"There is currently a $10 cover charge for Alfredo's and a $3 fee for room service onboard Regal Princess exclusively."

So it's just on the Regal for now.

I just really hate paying $3 for a pot of coffee via room service in the morning. I usually tip $2 for room service coffee. So adding the two together, it will cost $5 a pot!!!

The $10 fee for Alfredo's gets you a glass of wine with dinner. Big deal-I don't drink wine :mad:

This is the first I've heard of these extra fees. Room service is traditionally free on all lines I've ever cruised with the exception of pizza. I would be very surprised if a $3 room service fee were applied fleet-wide. As for Alfredo's, the Royal and Regal have a greatly expanded Alfredo's with a much greater variety of options than offered on other Princess ships. On those two ships, it's far more than pizza.

The Sun Class ships had a great pizzeria with an expanded menu (which I prefer to the menu on the Royal and Regal) and they didn't charge for that. I am guessing these ships still have their pizzeria.

I am also disappointed if it includes a "drink" as I don't drink alcohol and rarely drink soda.

Here is the corporate response from Princess on FB.........

"There is currently a $10 cover charge for Alfredo's and a $3 fee for room service onboard Regal Princess exclusively."

So it's just on the Regal for now.

I just really hate paying $3 for a pot of coffee via room service in the morning. I usually tip $2 for room service coffee. So adding the two together, it will cost $5 a pot!!!

The $10 fee for Alfredo's gets you a glass of wine with dinner. Big deal-I don't drink wine :mad:

Yes, my sentiments exactly. There is no way I'll order room service again if we have to pay a $3 service charge pp plus the tip. That would be like $10 each morning for coffee and a roll. I'll just roll out of my bed from my inside cabin on Plaza Deck and go in my jammies to the I.C. From now on.

Edited by 4cats4me

We are sailing June 19 on Regal and are just finding out today about these fees. Prior to the Live thread, there has been no notice that Alfredo's or room service would no longer be complimentary. I am outraged that corporate can promise one thing and change it after customers have booked and paid for those services. How can that be permissible??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure why anyone would think they would need to pay anything additional to the $3 room service fee. I would suspect that the "fee" covers the tip and has nothing to do with the items delivered. I am hoping that is the case because I'm sure there are people who do not tip. I guess we will have to wait to hear from Princess if this added "fee" is to cover their tip.

Yes, my sentiments exactly. There is no way I'll order room service again if we have to pay a $3 service charge pp plus the tip. That would be like $10 each morning for coffee and a roll. I'll just roll out of my bed from my inside cabin on Plaza Deck and go in my jammies to the I.C. From now on.

Jammie party! I'm in!

I think I will be heading to Horizon court to get my coffee and fruit to take to my room. I can use the walk, don't need to be nickeled and dimed! As for the PP charge for Alfredo's, I too do not drink alcohol or sodas. I'll go topside and get the good pizza near the pools!

This is all crazy!

We are sailing June 19 on Regal and are just finding out today about these fees. Prior to the Live thread, there has been no notice that Alfredo's or room service would no longer be complimentary. I am outraged that corporate can promise one thing and change it after customers have booked and paid for those services. How can that be permissible?

I'm sure that somewhere in the contract it is permissible to make changes.

They greatly promote the new Regal Princess which includes complimentary room service and Alfredo's Pizzeria dining. Then they decide on their inaugural cruise to change what they promised to everyone by adding fees for both of them. What a customer relations boondoggle!

Legal? Undoubtedly. Ethical? I don't think so. Smart? No way! :mad:

It's difficult for me to fathom how a cruise line can have a inaugural cruise promising certain things & then change the rules without notifying passengers of it...simply amazing! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Distressing to say the least!

We really enjoy room service and always tip. If the fee is $3 per trip and not $3 per person, maybe I could live with that, but I sure will feel low not tipping the person who brings our breakfast.

On the Royal ( we made the TA last fall), Alfredo's was a favorite for a late lunch. I am sure I would not pay a cover charge. We don't normally drink wine, so that doesn't make the cover charge appealing.

We are long-time Princess customers. Hopefully they will not make changes that will erode their customer base.

Shirley

This is the first I've heard of these extra fees. Room service is traditionally free on all lines I've ever cruised with the exception of pizza. I would be very surprised if a $3 room service fee were applied fleet-wide.

Like Pam, never heard of these extra fees. :confused::confused::confused:

LuLu

It's confirmed by Princess for Regal. Do they ever do anything on just one ship?

Nope, they sure don't. I guess they figured they didn't screw things up enough on the Royal so they had to think of something new for the Regal. Princess will now be known as "The Consummate Nickel and Dimer".....

Bob

Jammie party! I'm in!

I think I will be heading to Horizon court to get my coffee and fruit to take to my room. I can use the walk, don't need to be nickeled and dimed! As for the PP charge for Alfredo's, I too do not drink alcohol or sodas. I'll go topside and get the good pizza near the pools!

This is all crazy!

Who knows, as much as Princess seems to care about their passengers, they'll probably start charging for Prego's and the Trident Grill.....

Bob

Nope, they sure don't. I guess they figured they didn't screw things up enough on the Royal so they had to think of something new for the Regal. Princess will now be known as "The Consummate Nickel and Dimer".....

Bob

Guess it gives new meaning to their new slogan to "come back new" while being lied to about what is included. :rolleyes:

To me it's also a trust issue & I no longer trust Princess to provide what they say they will give us. :rolleyes:

Edited by Astro Flyer

Not sure why anyone would think they would need to pay anything additional to the $3 room service fee. I would suspect that the "fee" covers the tip and has nothing to do with the items delivered. I am hoping that is the case because I'm sure there are people who do not tip. I guess we will have to wait to hear from Princess if this added "fee" is to cover their tip.
I don't understand your thinking. Room service tipping is included in the daily auto charge so EVERYBODY is tipping. Some people like to double tip and that's their prerogative. If you tip on top of a new service fee then you're probably triple tipping because that $3 probably has some going to food service staff.

Guess it gives new meaning to their new slogan to "come back new" while being lied to about what is included. :rolleyes:

To me it's also trust issue & I don't trust Princess to provide what they say they will give us. :rolleyes:

Hit the nail on the head Frank.....:):):)

Bob

Unless things have changed, the original $3 pizza fee at least did not go to the staff. It was designed as a waste reduction measure and was considered ship revenue.

Not sure about this new one.

I don't understand your thinking. Room service tipping is included in the daily auto charge so EVERYBODY is tipping. Some people like to double tip and that's their prerogative. If you tip on top of a new service fee then you're probably triple tipping because that $3 probably has some going to food service staff.

This certainly is a head-scratcher. From the start I thought that Alfredo's had a small cover charge and was pleasantly surprised when I found it didn't. Now it does. I am shocked at a $3.00 service fee for room service! And the fact that both of these were added after the ship being advertised and promoted as having neither is very bad customer service relations. But then again, I'm preaching to the choir here.

My solution will be to NOT go to Alfredos. I didn't care that much for that option anyway. I love the pizza in Pregos (spoken by someone from New Jersey) and will continue to go there if I feel the need for a 'slice'. As for room service, I enjoy a light breakfast and coffee in my cabin if I have an early port, but otherwise I like to sleep and go to the IC or buffet for breakfast. I do like to have fresh fruit in the cabin so I shall pick up some bananas or apples in the Horizon Court and bring it to the room with me.

It's really frustrating that some bean-counter saw fit to nickle and dime us. It certainly can't make that much difference in the bottom line, and merely causes bad feelings among the paying customers.

To me it's also a trust issue & I no longer trust Princess to provide what they say they will give us. :rolleyes:

I absolutely agree with you. with princess you always used to know what you got. now they can tell you you're getting it and once on board--nope! we can't trust them to deliver what they promised...in writing no less! :(