Is Princess charging room service fees fleet wide or only on the Regal?

4cats4me

Has anyone been able to confirm $3 per delivery or $3 per person. Or mini bar swap out...charge or no charge?

Personally we did not care for Alfredo's so no loss. But room service is an issue. We used it for mornings we have an early morning tour. But we also used it when one of us came down with the cruise crud (basically bronchitis, flu etc). What about if someone is confined to cabin with norovirus? I can see all kinds of problems with people leaving their cabins to get something to eat rather than pay for every delivery for two days (assuming 48 hour confinement).

Now before I continue I know all the percentage arguments you and others are going to rush to,

I would be exceptionally surprised if every passenger on a ship ordered room service once per day, every day.

I guess my point was completely missed :eek:

Edited by wilfros

Has anyone been able to confirm $3 per delivery or $3 per person. Or mini bar swap out...charge or no charge?

Personally we did not care for Alfredo's so no loss. But room service is an issue. We used it for mornings we have an early morning tour. But we also used it when one of us came down with the cruise crud (basically bronchitis, flu etc). What about if someone is confined to cabin with norovirus? I can see all kinds of problems with people leaving their cabins to get something to eat rather than pay for every delivery for two days (assuming 48 hour confinement).

$3 per person.

I agree. If Princess had announced that passengers would now be able to order room service from the MDR menu but there would be a $3 charge it would have been a lot more palatable. The current room service offerings are really terrible.

I agree. If Princess had announced that passengers would now be able to order room service from the MDR menu but there would be a $3 charge it would have been a lot more palatable. The current room service offerings are really terrible.

I would probably be willing to pay the $3 if it 1) the money went to those delivering/handling the food and 2) if the full dining room menu was available.

Edited by Coral

$3 per person.

How will they ever figure that out?

In the morning I get one pot of regular coffee and one pot of decaf (can't have too much caffeine).

So as long as I get one cup is it one person?

$3 per person.

Hmm...are they going to count the people in the room when they deliver? If I order 16 boxes of corn flakes, will they assume I have 16 people in my room and charge me $3 x 16? If I am in a room with three other people and I order room service, do I have to pay $12 for the order? If I order one box of corn flakes and pay $12, do I have to split up my cereal among all four occupants? Will the waiter stay to make sure this "per person" thing is enforced? I don't see how this can possibly work.

Edited by shredie

I was so saddened in how Princess implemented all of this. No notice at all it just started on the inaugural sailing of the Regal. I can understand costs go up time to time, and policies change, but this just hits us loyal Princess fans.

So my question is would any of the following have made it better?

Princess coming out saying as of (a certain date) room service deliver will be charged $3 - same for Alfredos.

If Princess would of came out with something positive like adding loyalty level perks. My suggestion would be Platinum and up get one free meal at Alfredos, or Elite Or whatever. Or say Elite members get free room service delivery. Or they add another loyalty level. Something positive to get the loyal sailors happy.

Then after they have made us happy they implement the Alfredo fee and room service fee. Which maybe wouldn't of burned us so much.

What do you all think....

I am disappointed in all this nickel and diming and I sail with a budget, so if fees are higher I will re think where my money goes. I use to love going to the Sanctuary at last two times per voyage, but since the price went up I no longer can justify.

Let's not get crazy here. We can do something about this terrible up charge, don't go there. If it sits empty....they'll get the picture. Am I going to go to another line, yes, I already do. I like Celebrity, but my Princess perks are soooo much better. Go on Celebrity for 30 days and decide what to do with your wrinkled cloths. There's no laundry, let alone free laundry. Yes, I'm Elite on both and do get some laundry on Celebrity, but not all....free.

Room service for 3$$$ Not this kid. I can run to the International Cafe and grab a coffee in 5 minutes. Get fruit at the buffet. I'll deliver it to your room for 2$.

Just don't do it!!!!! Simple as that. Oh, and write a letter. Who pays serious attention to email complaints?

Room service for 3$$$ Not this kid. I can run to the International Cafe and grab a coffee in 5 minutes. Get fruit at the buffet. I'll deliver it to your room for 2$.

Just don't do it!!!!! Simple as that. Oh, and write a letter. Who pays serious attention to email complaints?

ha ha ha Alice, I am going to hold you to that delivery in January

Let's not get crazy here. We can do something about this terrible up charge, don't go there. If it sits empty....they'll get the picture. Am I going to go to another line, yes, I already do. I like Celebrity, but my Princess perks are soooo much better. Go on Celebrity for 30 days and decide what to do with your wrinkled cloths. There's no laundry, let alone free laundry. Yes, I'm Elite on both and do get some laundry on Celebrity, but not all....free.

I didn't sit all day in front of Alfredo's during my Royal cruise last October but during 18 days onboard (10 sea days) except for the lunch crowd & maybe when passengers returned from a day in port, I never saw it crowded. So their excuse to "reduce crowds" doesn't hold water with me...the fee is merely a way to force us to purchase a glass of wine which to me is insulting to say otherwise! :rolleyes:

Great marketing Princess...hype your new ship & then ambush those passengers with new unannounced fees! :eek:

Edited by Astro Flyer

What do you all think....

Since you ask

Be Honest!!!!

IS there really any of us that would not tolerate a 25 or even 50 dollar increase in our fare? I mean really?

Based on 3200 passengers on a ship that is an 80 to 160 thousand dollar increase, and that is a fee they can budget for as it is guaranteed, not dependent upon how many use a particular service. Tell us that it is needed to keep the "Princess" standard.

This isn't about the money. Any of us that travel on Princess can afford 3 dollars for the 1,2 or even 3 times we may use room service. It is how they have treated us as their customers.

To keep Princess the way I first was introduced to it, I would happily pay 25, 50 or even an extra 100 dollars per person. Just don't make it feel cheap and don't treat us like we are stupid.

Edited by wilfros

Oh, and write a letter. Who pays serious attention to email complaints?

Letter writing is a good idea; but believe me they pay attention to facebook comments read by over 1.4 million people who "like" Princess cruise lines.

Mike:)

Since you ask

Be Honest!!!!

IS there really any of us that would not tolerate a 25 or even 50 dollar increase in our fare? I mean really?

Based on 3200 passengers on a ship that is an 80 to 160 thousand dollar increase, and that is a fee they can budget for as it is guaranteed, not dependent upon how many use a particular service. Tell us that it is needed to keep the "Princess" standard.

This isn't about the money. Any of us that travel on Princess can afford 3 dollars for the 1,2 or even 3 times we may use room service. It is how they have treated us as their customers.

To keep Princess the way I first was introduced to it, I would happily pay 25, 50 or even an extra 100 dollars per person. Just don't make it feel cheap and don't treat us like we are stupid.

With the price we pay for a suite I wouldn't mind a $300 increase if it included the free internet that they took away a few years back. Granted I can buy the time for less than the above but it is the way these changes are implemented that irritate me.

Edited by bhopal21

Since you ask

Be Honest!!!!

That's it in a nutshell. Exactly how I feel..

This is the E-Mail I sent to Princess. I got the automated reply with the usual promise to look into it.

Princess....What were you thinking?

"What should have been a joyous event much like the birth of a new baby, the Regal's inaugural cruise has turned into a fiasco with the news of the new charges that didn't even come from Princess. It took a passenger doing a day by day report of her cruise to let the world know that Princess has sunk to a new low. Is corporate greed so important that the new charges couldn't wait a few months until the newness wore off? If it's going fleet wide, why not start it off on an older ship?

The $3 for room service would be OK if it went to the server delivering the tray. The $10 fee for Alfredo's is absurd. Now it includes a drink. I don't drink wine so my $3.00 coke is now costing me $10. Really?

I hope the corporation has good health insurance because they keep shooting themselves in the foot."

this room service fee,of 3.00,is it for anytime room service is ordered,or is it for just certain times,like from 12 midnight to 5am in the morning.?:)

Unlike other cruise lines who charge only for overnight room service (and have a better room service menu than Princess), Princess will charge anytime for anything...including things like a "free" fruit basket. :eek:

Edited by Astro Flyer

This is the E-Mail I sent to Princess. I got the automated reply with the usual promise to look into it.

"What should have been a joyous event much like the birth of a new baby, the Regal's inaugural cruise has turned into a fiasco with the news of the new charges that didn't even come from Princess. It took a passenger doing a day by day report of her cruise to let the world know that Princess has sunk to a new low. Is corporate greed so important that the new charges couldn't wait a few months until the newness wore off? If it's going fleet wide, why not start it off on an older ship?

The $3 for room service would be OK if it went to the server delivering the tray. The $10 fee for Alfredo's is absurd. Now it includes a drink. I don't drink wine so my $3.00 coke is now costing me $10. Really?

I hope the corporation has good health insurance because they keep shooting themselves in the foot."

Donna;

Very well stated.....:):):)

Bob

Short & directly to the point! :)

I wonder if they'll actually read our correspondence or just check off a box "for" or "against" & merely give results of the "voting" to management.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Well they've blown two launches in sucession.

First the Royal when nothing at all special was done for the first time when bringing a new ship onboard. No souvenir glass, picture, model, not even a mention.

And now the Regal, "Guess what we are increasing your pricing, nevermind what is on your cruise contract"

Where is CCL finding these idiots?

Pity they didn't hire Alan Mulally.

Well they've blown two launches in sucession.

First the Royal when nothing at all special was done for the first time when bringing a new ship onboard. No souvenir glass, picture, model, not even a mention.

And now the Regal, "Guess what we are increasing your pricing, nevermind what is on your cruise contract"

Where is CCL finding these idiots?

Pity they didn't hire Alan Mulally.

One of those posting said they received these couple of things so it only makes sense to add fees, right? NO WAY! :eek:

"To commemorate the Inaugural Cruise, they gave us each an 8x10 photo of the ship and an “Italian Leather” luggage tag (stewardess left them in the cabin). I thought it was especially nice of them not to have room service deliver the gifts so we avoided that new $3 delivery fee - ha ha!".

I wonder if they secretly hired Ryanair CEO Michael O'Leary as a consultant? ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

One of those posting said they received these couple of things so it only makes sense to add fees, right? NO WAY! :eek:

? ;)

This is on the Regal, right?

Because the inaugural cruisers on the Royal got nothing, not even a letter.

I think the concept is a shame, and feel like the goal posts are being moved ever so slightly, over time. To what eventual end I wonder....

It's a shame, because I think Princess, generally had the right balance over-all, and no further "tweaking" of the business model was required. Passengers were happy, staff were happy and company makes money. So I don't get it. Does someone is a high office have too much spare time on their hands, and come's up with these ideas to impress??

If they are going to continue, I think it needs to be looked at a bit more deeply. For example,

1. Tea and coffee type deliveries should be considered to be exempt. I recall my last cruise on Cunard charged for room service, but not for tea and coffee. And another poster here gave a good point on the safety concerns of personally bringing hot tea/coffee through the public areas of the ship to the cabin. (It also makes it an expensive cup of tea!!).

2. Breakfast card menu should be considered to be exempt. Its already a limited menu, and a good idea that limits the numbers crowding the public breakfast areas. Can you imagine how crowded it would be in the main dining room or Horizons court if everyone used it. Especially on port days. The large crowds could cause people to miss tours, or miss breakfast, or cause tours to be late. etc.

If there goal is to "minimise wastage", neither of the above examples would be one's where people took advantage of Princess. Perhaps the $3 surcharge could be for food items on the 24hour room service menu only (they already do it for Pizza - perhaps expand it to all food). And perhaps increase the 24 hour room service menu options as a compromise. But an absolute policy I think is poorly thought policy by Princess. Sorry...

This is on the Regal, right?

Because the inaugural cruisers on the Royal got nothing, not even a letter.

Yes, sorry about not being clearer...that was for the Regal & I read that you didn't get anything on the Royal's inaugural cruise & knew there was no chance of anything special on my inaugural TA on the Royal last October.