Why Azamara?

chrismakris

LOL. Burberry is a British brand. Designer wear, if you had a sun hat then this would be your matching beach bag;)Burberry-3805009-Medium-Haymarket-Check-Belted-Hobo-Bag-P14819156.jpg

Phil

Phil,

It is so reassuring that you spent time with me on our recent lovely Journey cruise even though I travelled without a Burberry sun hat. LOL

Hazel

Hello all.

My wife and I are planning our 10 year anniversary and are thinking about a European cruise. We want to do a higher end cruise with a pre-cruise and a 1 week to 10 day post cruise.

We would like to know why you choose Azamara and if there are any cons. I know there will be many answers so I thank you for taking your time and answering my question.

We've just come back from our 2nd cruise with Azamara; this time traveling with friends who had never gone with Azamara before. It was very interesting to compare what each of us felt were pros and cons and in the end it all boiled down to what we personally valued. My friend missed the solarium found on Celebrity ships, for example. That's something that I would not give a second thought given that you'll never find me lounging by the pool, covered or open deck. What I treasure on Azamara ships--the lovely, wide, quiet Deck 5 promenade with the teak loungers--is something my friend doesn't give two hoots about as she never goes there. See? Different strokes for different folks. It's all about what you want to see on a ship and how much you need to have those certain amenities, bearing in mind that all ships offer you some things and deny you others. Start from there and work your way up. Off the top of my head: Do you need a spacious shower and a wide balcony and cutting edge contemporary decor? Not going to find it on Azamara. On the other hand, do you like a captain and crew who are visible and enjoy interacting with passengers, without pretense? Azamara excels at that and it's something that's unique to the culture. My husband and I like that very much and it's an intangible that in our mind makes Azamara more valuable to us than other more modern ships with flashy new bells and whistles. You and your wife have different ideas about what's going to make your anniversary cruise special so I can only tell you that in our view Azamara offers little cons and so, so many pros.

We've just come back from our 2nd cruise with Azamara; this time traveling with friends who had never gone with Azamara before. It was very interesting to compare what each of us felt were pros and cons and in the end it all boiled down to what we personally valued. My friend missed the solarium found on Celebrity ships, for example. That's something that I would not give a second thought given that you'll never find me lounging by the pool, covered or open deck. What I treasure on Azamara ships--the lovely, wide, quiet Deck 5 promenade with the teak loungers--is something my friend doesn't give two hoots about as she never goes there. See? Different strokes for different folks. It's all about what you want to see on a ship and how much you need to have those certain amenities, bearing in mind that all ships offer you some things and deny you others. Start from there and work your way up. Off the top of my head: Do you need a spacious shower and a wide balcony and cutting edge contemporary decor? Not going to find it on Azamara. On the other hand, do you like a captain and crew who are visible and enjoy interacting with passengers, without pretense? Azamara excels at that and it's something that's unique to the culture. My husband and I like that very much and it's an intangible that in our mind makes Azamara more valuable to us than other more modern ships with flashy new bells and whistles. You and your wife have different ideas about what's going to make your anniversary cruise special so I can only tell you that in our view Azamara offers little cons and so, so many pros.

A very thoughtful and well-said posting. What is described above is something that can't be "installed" in a drydock.

A very thoughtful and well-said posting. What is described above is something that can't be "installed" in a drydock.

Thank you very much. A bit of a tangent here but I must admit I shake my head at some of the things lobbed at Azamara as faults that they must get rid of in order to compete. Yes the bathrooms are a squeeze...but the storage is excellent and the door frame comes equipped with a bottle opener. A bottle opener! How adorably quirky is that?? We never used it but it made me smile nonetheless. New builds don't have that. Our sofa coffee table had old-fashioned Queen Anne legs that haven't seen the light of day in decades but somehow they suit the cabin and add to the overall charm. Maybe they'll toss them one day (and the botanical prints hanging over the bed that are also original to the ship) in the name of updating but to my way of thinking some of the soul of the ship will be lost. I feel that's what Celebrity did to the S class ships such as Summit. She was Solsticized to the point that much of the patina and warmth that only old ships have was simply torn away. I know it's a delicate balance. Old ships must be--and should be modernized--but not at the expense of what makes them "them." Oh well. I know that based on much of what I read here that mine is definitely a minority opinion.

Thank you very much. A bit of a tangent here but I must admit I shake my head at some of the things lobbed at Azamara as faults that they must get rid of in order to compete. Yes the bathrooms are a squeeze...but the storage is excellent and the door frame comes equipped with a bottle opener. A bottle opener! How adorably quirky is that?? We never used it but it made me smile nonetheless. New builds don't have that. Our sofa coffee table had old-fashioned Queen Anne legs that haven't seen the light of day in decades but somehow they suit the cabin and add to the overall charm. Maybe they'll toss them one day (and the botanical prints hanging over the bed that are also original to the ship) in the name of updating but to my way of thinking some of the soul of the ship will be lost. I feel that's what Celebrity did to the S class ships such as Summit. She was Solsticized to the point that much of the patina and warmth that only old ships have was simply torn away. I know it's a delicate balance. Old ships must be--and should be modernized--but not at the expense of what makes them "them." Oh well. I know that based on much of what I read here that mine is definitely a minority opinion.

Welcome home, Deirdre. Looking forward to your trip report.

Phil...that is a Burberry bag....guess I'll not be in "high fashion"....plaid is not my thing :p....LOL But I love their fragrance. :D

Edited by midwestchick

I loved this and it says exactly how my family and I feel.

Wonderful post.

There are other cruise lines that should meet people's needs and we hope others find and enjoy them.

But right now we consider Azamara a unique experience, an experience that we love and for which we can justify the cost. It would be sad indeed if, as you point out, that uniqueness was diluted, but we also accept that at some point that may well happen. We'll just enjoy its singularity as much and as long as we can.

Some have asked about this as I referenced it in my most recent posting. I guess it doesn't happen on every cruise.

We were on a 16 night cruise Singapore to Hong Kong in January 2014 & roughly midway through the trip they had a BIG BUFFET NIGHT that was pretty unbelievable. They featured food from all over the world & you could either serve yourself from standing fare or get them to make things up to your own order.

It was mighty impressive & VERY labor intensive - some of the staff told us they got just a couple hours of sleep after breaking it down late at night. BUT the wine of the day, as noted, was not to my liking & all it took was a little wish to have YESTERDAY'S wine of choice - & it appeared.

That's why we sail with Azamara!!!!!!

Thank you so much for the positive responses on this thread!

We have booked our first Azamara for our first cruise for years as a couple. We are usually with our daughter on Celebrity.We are on the Quest from Dubai to Singapore.

We had started to get a little concerned with the posts about the future of Azamara, customer relations and communications issues, drinks package probleam, company slow to respond on le voyage announcements etc. We wondered if we had made the right choice???

Nice to hear your reassuring posts!

We have booked our first Azamara for our first cruise for years as a couple. We are usually with our daughter on Celebrity.We are on the Quest from Dubai to Singapore.

We had started to get a little concerned with the posts about the future of Azamara, customer relations and communications issues, drinks package probleam, company slow to respond on le voyage announcements etc. We wondered if we had made the right choice???

There are some shoreside issues as you have read, particularly in the UK, BUT as soon as you get on board Quest I hope you will soon understand what we are all talking about.

The ship experience is wonderful.

Enjoy your first Azamara cruise

So it's the Quest you've booked! She was our first, too, and one of the most special cruises we've even been on. My report is in my signature line if you care to read it. At the end of it is a link to some wonderful photos taken by Ari S., a photographer was was on board with us.

Deidre

I cant thank you enough for pointing me in the direction of your wonderful review and photos. I really felt I was on board with you - wish I had been! I am so looking forward to my first Azamara cruise.

Angie x

With over 10 Regent cruises under my belt I am so glad I found Azamara. My last two Regent cruises were far from Stellar and for what they are charging these days it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Azamara really impressed us and the pricing I feel is very reasonable. We are looking forward to our next cruise with Azamara, and I agree totally about the staff being more engaging and the better service in the main dining room.

FDV

I keep saying that Azamara is like the old Radisson ....

I too seldom go on Regent anymore with about 10 on them as well. I did go last year after three years, though.

Azamara is great value.

FDV

I keep saying that Azamara is like the old Radisson ....

I too seldom go on Regent anymore with about 10 on them as well. I did go last year after three years, though.

Azamara is great value.

Couldn't agree more!! We loved the Old Radisson... One of the great things in the dining room on Azamara is the waiters can actually pour your wine so your not waiting and waiting for a refill, gee what a thought waiters can pour wine...

Couldn't agree more!! We loved the Old Radisson... One of the great things in the dining room on Azamara is the waiters can actually pour your wine so your not waiting and waiting for a refill, gee what a thought waiters can pour wine...

Where is the Like Button on Cruisecritic?

Thank you so much with the outpouring of comments on this thread regarding the Azamara experience and your accolades for our onboard teams.

I've shared your comments here with the executive members on the Azamara shoreside and onboard.

I also want to share with you an opportunity for you post your experiences by creating your own lasting AzAmazing Memory with us. On our Share Stories page you can create a storybook about your Azamara cruise experience with your own images or you can create you own video My Azamovie to share with your friends on your social media.

Thank you so much with the outpouring of comments on this thread regarding the Azamara experience and your accolades for our onboard teams.

I've shared your comments here with the executive members on the Azamara shoreside and onboard.

I also want to share with you an opportunity for you post your experiences by creating your own lasting AzAmazing Memory with us. On our Share Stories page you can create a storybook about your Azamara cruise experience with your own images or you can create you own video My Azamovie to share with your friends on your social media.

Oops Bonnie submitted one but not sure how my friends might know (that is if it was published) silly beginner error here

Great initiative, Bonnie. We will also put some great moments in here. Wonder why nobody thought of this before.:)

Oops Bonnie submitted one but not sure how my friends might know (that is if it was published) silly beginner error here

Hi uktog,

at the end of your production (last step) it would give you the opportunity to share your video using various social media choices.

What did you name your video? I'll look for it on our website and send you the URL that you can simply email to your friends if you're not using social media :)

Here's the link again: "Create your own video"

Here's something a little bit different: We've done two crossings on Azamara and one very long cruise on Seabourn. We love the all-inclusive (or modified all-inclusive) features of both lines, but Azamara is a much better buy over all. Azamara has issues, but I think you get your money's worth. And i was very surprised that the food on Azamara was consistently better than Seabourn, even though Seabourn charges so very much more per day.