More and more cabins..

Is it just me or is anyone else concerned about the continuous addition of new cabins every time a ship has a drydock. I just worry that the ships are just going to feel crowded all the time and the lines will just get longer and longer. I see the Navigator is the latest victim, another 200 passengers in the Windjammer on boarding day - good luck with that one!!:eek:

I don't believe they increased the total capacity of the ship.

By adding the additional cabins there will be more passengers on the ship during off-season. During peak season the total amount of passengers on the ship goes up because there are a lot of cabins booked with the 3rd or 4th person but during other times most of the cabins only have 2 passengers in them.

With the added cabins they don't have to sell as many 3rd and 4th passenger during peak season so they should be able to keep the prices for those passenger a little higher.

We avoid the crowds in the WJ by eating elsewhere on boarding day. Until just after the muster it is always a zoo on the ship... after that... people spread out. I doubt you'll see a difference. Even at capacity the ships handle crowds well.

We avoid the crowds in the WJ by eating elsewhere on boarding day. Until just after the muster it is always a zoo on the ship... after that... people spread out.

Agree! We totally avoid the Windjammer buffet on boarding day! :eek:

Happily, there are other places to get something to eat. :)

LuLu

I've only been on one post refurbished ship, the Legend, and hadn't sailed it previously, so this is only my opinion and not backed up by any facts. I thought the ship easily handled the additional passengers and the only venues that seemed crowded were the MDR, with no room between the tables, the Schooner Bar, and the photo gallery . We never experienced long lines. Yes, several hundred more people was noticeable but the ship handled the extra passengers well. The extra rooms were added around the centrum and I missed the open space and the outside views on each floor. I am slightly claustrophobic so the central part of the ship felt very closed in and was a little uncomfortable. It didn't affect DH or our travelling companions so I am sure it was a claustrophobic reaction. I'm not comfortable with enclosed balconies, like on the Adventure, and now will pay closer attention to the deck layout, available public spaces and exterior windows in the public spaces.

Although rooms were added, others were taken out to accommodate additional restaurants and other community spaces. Having just come off a sold-out trip on Navigator, I didn't notice things were any worse. I've found the buffet is crowded on every ship and space by the pool on nice days is always limited. The only thing that felt overcrowded was the muster drill. It was pretty much shoulder to shoulder, and we were in the lounge!

Although rooms were added, others were taken out to accommodate additional restaurants and other community spaces. Having just come off a sold-out trip on Navigator, I didn't notice things were any worse. I've found the buffet is crowded on every ship and space by the pool on nice days is always limited. The only thing that felt overcrowded was the muster drill. It was pretty much shoulder to shoulder, and we were in the lounge!

No cabins were taken out on the Navigator's recent refurbishment. Around 80 were added if I recall correctly.

Rooms were taken out? Really? I hadn't seen anything about that.

Your concerns are valid, especially with RCIs habit of making terrible decisions in regards to their fleet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

:confused::confused: Not sure I understand what "terrible decisions RCI has made regarding the fleet". They seem to be doing ok. :rolleyes:

Edited by hgmizzou

Agree! We totally avoid the Windjammer buffet on boarding day! :eek:

Happily, there are other places to get something to eat. :)

LuLu

We will be on Freedom of the Seas and what options are there other than windjammer that are included in the cruise cost? Sorrentos is the only place I can think... Is the dining room serving lunch the day you board?

We will be on Freedom of the Seas and what options are there other than windjammer that are included in the cruise cost? Sorrentos is the only place I can think... Is the dining room serving lunch the day you board?

This is what works for us. On the way to Port Canaveral we stop and eat a nice breakfast. We get to the ship about 12:30-1:00 and board. Usually we can go directly to our cabin to drop of the bags. If not... we wait a little until we can drop the bags. I usually check out our table in the dining room, just to make sure all is in order. And then... we get a snack -- on the Freedom we go to Cafe Promenade or Sorrentos (Usually the Cafe). We go to the muster.. and then head to the CL/DL for snacks and drinks until dinner (we eat early dinner). We rarely go to the WJ.

OK, Let's set the record straight. Just off the Navigator OTS on Sunday and had a GREAT time. The ship is well, A WOW ship. We have been on all of the other Voyager class ships but the Dry Dock made this ship NEW again.

New rooms...YES....not exactly sure how many but they are on Deck 12, Yes, Deck 12.......no more window views from the SPA......we saw a couple of rooms that were open for cleaning and some had balcony's and some had Full length windows which look cool to look out. Kind of like the Promenade Room windows but larger. And on Deck 3....the lower level of the OLD Disco called the Crypt I think. have been turned into rooms...but again, not sure how many.

Public spaces.....OK, they took some out and added some.

Gone......The walking track to the front of the ship on deck 12, added rooms, Now it is 8 laps to do a mile. Also gone will be the disco and also gone is where the Card room on deck 14 and exit to the outside to over look the basketball court. But the 19th hole was taken away a long time ago to make Diamond lounges....still public areas but only to top tier cruisers.

Added......Sabor, Highly recommend eating here...It was so GOOD! Deck 4 of the old disco. Public...but just to eat.

Izumi.....another restaurant, did not eat here but heard from many that said it was really good. Public...but just to eat.

Deck 13, above the New rooms......HUGE.....outdoor suntan deck that really is quiet and rarely used. But has lot of new loungers and shade...so a Great area to get away from the crowds.

And if you sail on the Navigator, Highly recommend getting to the ship early, drop your luggage at the Pier and then walk to Historic Downtown Galveston.....it is a MUST SEE. And on " THE STRAND " the main street....you can eat and DRINK alcohol and shop....2 dollar beers all day while shopping, so cool. Get back to the ship by 3, walk right on, go to the room, go get something to eat, no crowds and do Muster....then time to have FUN!

Hope I have not forgotten anything. Have a Great Time on the Navigator or any RCL Ship! Especially after the Dry Docks!

Mike

Main dining room (MDR), buffet, Promenade Café and Sorrento's are all included. There are more free choices on Oasis and Quantum class ships. Generally on most ships, the MDR only serves lunch on sea days. If you want to avoid the buffet on embarkation day, the promenade café also serves lunch.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=FR&shipCode=FR&br=R

We avoid the crowds in the WJ by eating elsewhere on boarding day. Until just after the muster it is always a zoo on the ship... after that... people spread out. I doubt you'll see a difference. Even at capacity the ships handle crowds well.

What are the other options for food on boarding day? I will be sailing Adventure next month. Thanks!

Is it just me or is anyone else concerned about the continuous addition of new cabins every time a ship has a drydock. I just worry that the ships are just going to feel crowded all the time and the lines will just get longer and longer. I see the Navigator is the latest victim, another 200 passengers in the Windjammer on boarding day - good luck with that one!!:eek:

We were on the Navigator the week of March 2nd and I didn't see that much difference. In fact this was the easiest time we had finding a table for lunch on boarding day.

Keep in mind that if they were to increase passenger capacity, they would also have to add life boats also. Haven't heard of that happening.

Nope, not being done (more life boats, that is).

I got this directly from a hotel director on a ship that we were recently on. The maximum total head count must remain the same (ie pax and crew) for the number of life boats that the ship carries, per coast guard and SOLAS rules/regulations. Therefore, the company must reduce working staff when these extra cabins are added to a ship. Many internal operations (places where pax never see) have been forced to reduce head count. When they eliminated the boxed donuts last year, the ships were able to eliminate two jobs on-board. This info directly from the HD. I think that many of the changes that we have noticed during the last two or three years have been geared to reducing crew size so that more pax can be added to those retrofitted cabins.

Keep in mind that if they were to increase passenger capacity, they would also have to add life boats also. Haven't heard of that happening.

Ships sailing now have life boats in excess of passenger load. So there are still plenty of life boat seats available, still in excess of carried passengers and crew. Likewise, all ships carry extra life rafts in excess of staff and passengers (the ones in the big cans you'll see). The total combination of ridged hull lifeboats and life rafts far exceeds the numbers on board, even with the expanded cabins.

I agree , I thought it seemed a little crowded in some of the public areas, but not enough to stop us from booking it again, but we had grand suite, which allowed us to have breakfast and lunch at chops so we didn't need to deal with trying to find seat at Windjammer.

I don't believe they increased the total capacity of the ship.

You simply believe wrong then.

Although rooms were added, others were taken out to accommodate additional restaurants and other community spaces. Having just come off a sold-out trip on Navigator, I didn't notice things were any worse.

No - on Navigator specifically no rooms were taken out. Both the new rooms AND the new restaurant space was taken from existing public/community space.

It's a matter of opinion whether or not the ship is "too crowded" now or not. But it's a matter of fact that the passenger capacity of the ship was significantly increased at the same time that public space was decreased - that's where the new cabins came from, formerly public space. (Speaking specifically about Navigator which I followed closely, although I imagine the story is the same on other ships too.)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk