Caribbean Cruising in August?

Hello all,

We are UK cruisers who will be limited to holidaying in August next year due to other commitments, and I would be grateful for any info that anyone can provide about the pros/cons of cruising the caribbean in August, particularly in terms of weather? We are looking at 10 days in Florida followed by 7 Nts East or West Caribbean on Freedom.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Happy cruising! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Peardrop

I cruise every August and the weather is usually hot, but sunny just about everyday. I did have one occasion where a hurricane hit the home port of Fort Lauderdale and we spent two extra days at sea. Royal very nicely compensated those who lost the two days on the ship. One time our itinerary was moved from east to west on that same cruise. One time our itinerary was reversed (same islands but in a different order). Other than that, no problems and good weather for 9 August cruises. :):)

We have always cruised in August since the rates drop the last week or so. We have only had 2 real issues with weather. The first was getting to FL from NJ and the flight out was delayed (glad we went a day early). The second was our first Oasis trip and one of the Tropical storms caused some port closures and changes in the Itinerary but overall it was still a great cruise.

I know that anytime I cruise I will enjoy it! :D

We always cruise the last week in August since we are in the Northeast and our schools do not go back before Labor Day (while many others are already back mid August).

It will be very hot, and the ship will be crowded and there will be lots of kids. For us, it doesn't matter, as we are used to it and know the ship very well (we are also going to be on Freedom 8/24). Given that it is hurricane season, there may be weather issues, like the need to change from east to west due to a hurricane, or delays leaving port or coming back in (we've never experienced it but others have).

We are flying in a day early, since up here in NJ, we often get thunderstorms in the late afternoons, so we like to head out the day before so if there are any issues, we have time. We are flying home the afternoon we disembark, and then will have Monday off for Labor Day to get ready for school, which starts that Wednesday.

Next year, who knows? Labor Day 2015 is September 7, and I know our school will not hold us out until after that to return, so we'll probably be going back sometime around Septenber 3rd, which still gives us the week before to sail.

Hot!

Add Humid with quick rain showers (10 minutes) then brilliant sun. Want to do Florida in particular? Otherwise try Boston, Baltimore, New York City, etc. all of which will feel hotter in August than Florida with it's cooling winds does.:eek:

We are looking at 10 days in Florida followed by 7 Nts East or West Caribbean on Freedom.

Sounds like an amazing vacation! Yes, it is hurricane season and it will be incredibly hot, as stated. We have cruised in almost every month of the year I think, and August in the Caribbean (and July in the Med) practically did me in. However, if you plan for it, dress for it, protect your skin, and drink lots of water, you will be sure to have an amazing time. :)

Want to do Florida in particular? Otherwise try Boston, Baltimore, New York City, etc. all of which will feel hotter in August than Florida with it's cooling winds does.:eek:

We are in New York for 10 days this August, looking forward to the heat!

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, keep em coming! It sounds like August will suit us fine, and it seems that it would be wise to allow a day between disembarking and flying home, just in case of a delay.

That is the hurricane season and there wilo be many children on board, not sure which is worse

I would describe it as more the beginning of the hurricane season. But hurricanes dont' follow approved schedules and sometimes a names storm may not cross those itineraries till Late Sept or October.

We are also cruising in late August we've done it before and yes its smoking hot. We typically try to go when the schools are in session. We're from the Midwest and the children head back to class mid-August here. We understand that its hurricane season but we found a price that we couldn't pass up so we're heading to Galveston for our third cruise this year.

Add Humid with quick rain showers (10 minutes) then brilliant sun. Want to do Florida in particular? Otherwise try Boston, Baltimore, New York City, etc. all of which will feel hotter in August than Florida with it's cooling winds does.:eek:

It was 97 degrees in Orlando this past Saturday and no wind to speak of. I was wishing I was in one of those other cities.

Florida is miserably hot and humid that time of the year. We used to cruise that time of the year, but no more.

It's a cruise though...and if it was a matter of going or not, I'd go. Just be prepared. Couldn't wait to get back on the ship into the a/c.

Ugh.... was on Oasis two or three years ago in August and it was too hot for the balcony every day. St. Martin we left the ship...long walk to water taxi.... walked around for an hour but it was just too hot. Not alot of air conditioned restaurants....so went back and enjoyed an empty ship. We were late 40s 50 ish and are not sunbathers/beach swimmers. I feel younger people might cope better.

Debbie

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

As long as you realize it's Hurricane Season which may impact your arrival/departure port/air line flights and may cause itinerary changes, you'll be fine unless you can't deal with these issues which may/may not happen.

LuLu

Tropical Storm. Doh!

I was excited to get on Allure and ride away from the storm.

However, Oasis fled on Saturday just before they closed the port.

Allure could not come into port so I spent several days at the hotel. Luckily, I was at a five star. They treated us great. It was actually kind of fun to experience a storm of that magnitude.

Once on the ship, the remaining days were sunny.

RCCL was very generous with hotel, food, and missed cruise day reimbursement. They earned my repeat business.

Last August we did 12 nights Orlando, and 7 nights Eastern Caribbean on Oasis. We loved it, it was hot and humid but as we have done Florida a few time we new what to expect. We had the 10 min daily lightening storm which usually clears the air ( for a short while ). We have yet to come face to face with a hurricane, but this would never stop us visiting Florida. Enjoy.

Canadian Rockies / Alaskan Cruisetour August 2014

Oasis of the Seas August 2013

Independence of the Seas August 2008

We took our son on a cruise with us at the end of August beginning of September. It was very warm but I'll tell you that was just to the cross em, awesome cruise on the Liberty of the Seas. The hottest place was at Labadee. I was a bit of a crab but they didn't seem to care.

You'll have a wonderful time!

Sent from my QMV7A using Forums mobile app

Yes, it will be hot...it's Florida and the Caribbean!

It is a great time to cruise.

Funny, whenever I cruise around that time of year, I

have zero issues with hurricanes, etc.

When I've cruised in February, peak time, always had

an issue...

It will be wonderful! Enjoy! But drink lots of water and

bring sunscreen.

The weather won't be significantly hotter in the islands in August compared to winter. For example, the average high temperature in St. Thomas is 90 degrees in Jul-Sep compared to 85 in Jan/Feb. In South Florida there is a bigger differential -- 88/89 in Summer vs. 74/75 in winter. In both places it's a little bit rainier in August vs. winter.

As for hurricanes, they do start to pick up in frequency later in August (and of course they also occur in July and to a lesser extent in June), so earlier August is better. The primary issue, as others have mentioned, would be flying in if weather is bad in the area, risks that the ship can't make it in/out of port on departure day, and risks that the itinerary is changed. I really wouldn't worry about the latter (if you're so set on specific ports, then just visit another time of year), and the first two are only an issue if the storm is close to the departure port. The Caribbean is a pretty big area -- there can be 20+ named storms in a season with none coming meaningfully near Miami/Ft. Lauderdale.

I cruise every August and the weather is usually hot, but sunny just about everyday. I did have one occasion where a hurricane hit the home port of Fort Lauderdale and we spent two extra days at sea. Royal very nicely compensated those who lost the two days on the ship. One time our itinerary was moved from east to west on that same cruise. One time our itinerary was reversed (same islands but in a different order). Other than that, no problems and good weather for 9 August cruises. :):)

Did they give you advanced notice? I'd be concerned that I'd have no way of contacting externally booked excursion guides if not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you will be fine. Like everyone else has said. Just remember its the start of Hurricane Season. Yes it will be hot. The Caribbean will be even hotter. But Ill tell you. I would rather be in Florida or the Caribbean than be in New Orleans in Aug!! That was by far the worst heat Ive ever been through. Even Vegas when it was 114 in Aug. If you enjoy the heat you wont have any problems. Besides you can always head for some air conditioning. At port you can head for the Beach!!! Have a great Trip!!

I would describe it as more the beginning of the hurricane season. But hurricanes dont' follow approved schedules and sometimes a names storm may not cross those itineraries till Late Sept or October.

While true that August is the beginning of Hurricane season, it also holds the names of some very powerful and damaging Hurricanes thoughout time.

Hot, Humid & Hurrnicanes does not make for the best month to hit the Caribbean. But any cruise is better than no cruise!

Enjoy it!

Hello all,

We are UK cruisers who will be limited to holidaying in August next year due to other commitments, and I would be grateful for any info that anyone can provide about the pros/cons of cruising the caribbean in August, particularly in terms of weather? We are looking at 10 days in Florida followed by 7 Nts East or West Caribbean on Freedom.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Happy cruising! :)

Newsflash: It's HOT in the Caribbean in August!!!!